Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

How's your chain?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

How's your chain?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-19, 08:55 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Had to do another deep cleaning yesterday. Haven't done that since beginning of May. Everything was sandy for some reason, I don't remember cycling through too much sand. I discovered a deep pocket of dirt in between the pedals and the front of the chain. The park tool did a heroic job of clearing that out.
Old 06-04-19, 06:00 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
What are your thoughts on using windshield washer fluid to clean your chain, chainring and cassette after each winter ride?
Old 06-05-19, 09:36 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
What are your thoughts on using windshield washer fluid to clean your chain, chainring and cassette after each winter ride?
hmmm dunno ask the chemical engineer! wiki says: the winter stuff has anti-freeze, or methylated spirits, the regular stuff has combination of solvents with a detergent. dunno what effect that all would have on chain lube. probably not great. for general cleaning year-round, I've been using Dawn brand dish soap in a bucket of water & a brush, drying a bit & lubing a chain lube
Old 06-11-19, 09:03 AM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4

I haven`t tried this yet, but I`m going to the next time my chain needs a good cleaning.

I`m going to use MARVEL MYSTERY OIL in my chain cleaning tool.

I`ve used it for other things, and I think it`ll work very well in my chain cleaning tool. Any excess should wipe off easily, and if any is left in nooks and crannies it shouldn`t hurt anything.

'
It is composed primarily of petroleum distillates, including mineral oil (60-100%), mineral spirits {10-30%**, tricresyl phosphate (an antiwear and extreme pressure additive in lubricants, 0.1-1.0%), ortho dichlorobenzene (a softening and removing agent for carbon-based contamination on metal surfaces, 0.1-1.0%), and para dichlorobenzene (a precursor used in the production of chemically and thermally resistant polymers, <0.1%).

Why MMO | Mystery Oil Motors
Old 06-18-19, 03:50 AM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by roadsnakes
I haven`t tried this yet, but I`m going to the next time my chain needs a good cleaning.

I`m going to use MARVEL MYSTERY OIL in my chain cleaning tool.

I`ve used it for other things, and I think it`ll work very well in my chain cleaning tool. Any excess should wipe off easily, and if any is left in nooks and crannies it shouldn`t hurt anything.

'
It is composed primarily of petroleum distillates, including mineral oil (60-100%), mineral spirits {10-30%**, tricresyl phosphate (an antiwear and extreme pressure additive in lubricants, 0.1-1.0%), ortho dichlorobenzene (a softening and removing agent for carbon-based contamination on metal surfaces, 0.1-1.0%), and para dichlorobenzene (a precursor used in the production of chemically and thermally resistant polymers, <0.1%).

Why MMO | Mystery Oil Motors
Keep us posted on how this works for you. I might have to try it as well.
Old 06-18-19, 04:33 AM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 119 Posts
It`s been used to clean the final drives on shaft driven motorcycle with great results. It`s ingredients are mainly petroleum and cleaning products. Both of what you want when you clean a chain and or gears.

Last week I oiled my chain. Then wiped off the excess. Then I poured some Marvel Mystery Oil on a clean rag and ran the chain through it. The chain came out noticeably cleaner and shinier, and the rag was very dirty.

The chain was pretty clean before and after I oiled and wiped off the excess, but was even cleaner after wiping it with the Marvel Mystery Oil soaked rag.
Old 06-18-19, 11:08 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Neither frozen nor broken.