Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

How can you tell what sport you are genetically good for?

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 03-30-07, 06:24 AM
Turboem1
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Reno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You always see about how professional athletes who are the best at what they do always have some sort of edge due to their genetics. A flexible gymnast, small horse jockey, tall basketball player ect... Some people have the correct muscular build/body for what they do.

If you knew that you could never be great at what sport you enjoyed would you stop? Would you be less serious? Would you approach it differently?

Would you consider a sport that maybe you didn't enjoy 100% but knew you had a great body for it?

Maybe your 6'3" 340lbs but you love biking. Should you give it up and try out a strong man competition? You would have a good base that most people couldn't get and you probably could not compete on a bike.
Old 03-30-07, 06:34 AM
kuan
Twincities MN

Bikes: Fat Caad Lefty, Foundry Overland.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Muscle biopsy? You're probably not suited to endurance sports if you can standing jump six feet.
Old 03-30-07, 06:39 AM
NomadVW 
部門ニ/自転車オタク

Bikes: 2008 Blue T16, 2009 Blue RC8, 2012 Blue Norcross CX, 2016 Blue Axino SL, 2016 Scott Scale, Fixie, Fetish Cycles Road Bike (on the trainer)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nike
Just do it
Old 03-30-07, 08:15 AM
krazygluon
Mad scientist w/a wrench

Bikes: none working atm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Overspecialization breeds weakness. Humans are the generalists of the animal kingdom and persistence has a history of triumphing over talent. For instance, there are short NBA basketball players, jamaican bobsledding teams, and a near limitless list of humans who say "to hell with standards" and do well in something they're not genetically supposed to.

I'll do whatever sports I damn well please to regardless of what I'm genetically best off doing. As it turns out though, I have a genetically slight upper body and monster quads...so I might be better off doing what I like anyway :wink:

edit: of course it all depends on your priorities: would you rather win at something you don't care about or can you stand to lose competing in something you enjoy?
Old 03-30-07, 08:28 AM
Hobartlemagne 
Spelling Snob

Bikes: Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm perfectly built for Shirling

The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!
Old 03-30-07, 08:35 AM
Richard Cranium

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 35 Posts
Pretty simple, just try them. If you have talent for any sport, or any activity, curiosity and satisfaction through activity will spur additional development of the relevant skills.

In other words, people who are genetically disposed to an activity develop ability with ease. They may quickly become proficient at a sport, but that hardly means they'll become a star or a professional without years of hard work.
Old 03-30-07, 09:02 AM
gcl8a
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Winning is fun. There is a tendency for people to gravitate towards 'their' sport because they're good at it.
Old 03-30-07, 09:36 AM
Az B
Fattest Thin Man

Bikes: Miyata 610, Vinco V, Rocky Mountain Element

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I suck at everything so it makes it easy for me to decide which sports to gravitate to...

NASCAR!

Az
Old 03-30-07, 10:48 AM
aikigreg
Recumbent Ninja

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you don't know by now, I'd say none of them!
Old 03-30-07, 11:56 AM
veloGeezer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Turboem1
...If you knew that you could never be great at what sport you enjoyed would you stop? Would you be less serious? Would you approach it differently?
Well, I assessed my attributes, such as being tall and having big arms, the fact I'm German Irish and come from a long line of people built like fire plugs, and the fact that my school coaches made me play on the offensive line starting in 4th grade, so naturally I took up cycling. I'm a fat old geezer who lives in the mountains and has to climb all day or find something else to do.

in my life I've found that there is always someone faster, stronger, smarter, whatever. Does that mean I just say the hell with it and crawl into a hole somewhere? Of course not.

For me bikes were always an escape. I was a troubled kid. Hell, I still am a troubled kid in alot of ways. Getting out on the road with the wind in my face has just always been something that had a hold on me.
I guess I'm what the surfers call a soul rider. No sponsors, no money, no problem.
Old 03-30-07, 09:07 PM
Bici3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
99.9% based on Interest & Motivation. - .1% on genetics.

Woods, Jordan, B.Gates, Armstrong, (both Lance, and Neil) G.S. Patton, Spud Webb. Anyone remember Mack Herron? (5'1" St Louis Cardinals - NFL)
All of these people in their respective fields - Extremely competitve, Highly motivated.

Getting pissed losing at "Checkers" is not genetic.

https://www.bicitreregioni.com
Old 04-01-07, 07:33 PM
cosmo starr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there is a reason i like biking and climbing and not power lifting or football
Old 04-01-07, 10:41 PM
slim_77

Bikes: yes please

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just ask my old soviet trainer...
Old 04-01-07, 10:59 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Many years ago, I read an article called "50 Things To Do Before I Die" ... basically it was about a list of life goals the author had made, things he/she wanted to do at some point in his/her life. Some things were more immediate goals, others were "some day" goals, others were filler goals to do when life wasn't busy with something else, and so on. The author had a list of 50 of them.

So I created my own list, and in it sports activities featured fairly heavily. Cycling activities alone took up a few. I wanted to: try mountain biking, try racing, ride long distances, go cycletouring, try as many different types of cycles as possible, etc. In addition to cycling, I've got several other sports items on my list such as: archery (which I haven't tried yet), wall climbing (another one I haven't tried yet - I was going to try that this year, but developed tendonitis in my right elbow, not good for wall climbing), snowshoeing (which I started doing just a few years ago, and really enjoy), skating (I have skated a long, long time ago when I was a child, but wasn't good at it then, however, I'm a Canadian so we're required to learn ), swimming (I do a sort of dog-paddle thing, so would like to take swimming lessons to learn how to do it properly) ... just to name a few.

The thing is ... I didn't know, and don't know if I'll be any good at those things, or if I'll enjoy them. But since they sounded interesting I wanted to try them! If I enjoy something, and especially if I appear to have some aptitude for it, I stick with it. If I don't enjoy something, I check it off the list, and move on to something else.

I've never given much though to body composition or anything in relation to the sports I do or want to do. I just try a lot of things, and do what I enjoy.
Old 04-02-07, 04:30 AM
Coyote!

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Wow! I've been coming to this pub for about two years now and this is the most sensible and enlightening thread I've seen. There are many lifetimes of wisdom here. Well done folks.

Old 04-02-07, 08:06 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So who cares? I will do sports that I enjoy and the heck of whether I am "good" at them or not. I have long ago realized that no one is ever going to pay me to exercise so I might as well enjoy it because that and fitness is all I am going to get out of it.
Old 04-03-07, 11:12 AM
manual_overide
Fat Guy in Bike Shorts!

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm probably genetically good for bowling, but that doesn't stop me from doing whatever i feel like
Old 04-06-07, 08:46 AM
serena18

Bikes: Kona Dew 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One thing to consider is your muscoskeletal frame. I practice all kinds of physical activities (running, hiking, weight lifting and yoga), and I love them, even knowing that my leg structure makes my progress harder. My feet are turned out (the opposite pigeontoed) and don't align with my knees. I never knew this was a problem, especially because my mother had taken me to the doctor when little to see if I needed braces, and he said no, until I started doing yoga and the instructors kept telling me to align my feet, and I had to say, I couldn't, which they wouldn't believe and then would try to align them themselves, until I had to yell out in pain, my legs/feet just can't do that, they're not built that way! Later, my bf told me that his sister tried to run a marathon, but her knees collapsed halfway through, she went to the doctor, and he told her it had been because of her knee/feet misalignment (same thing I have). 2 months ago I fell down the stairs, 2nd time it's happened in my life, and the therapist told me it was probably because of my knee/foot misalignment, since my knees go inward and my feet outward,a nd that this will always bea problem for me.

Anyway, I think it's good to know about your body (now I know I have to be super careful not just when going down stairs, but when hiking downhill), but not to let it stop you. I love yoga, and I just have to tell the instructor about my limitation, if she tries to force me, I don't let her, because I could do more damage to myself in the long run.

Also, it irritates me that that doctor convinved my mom I didn't need leg braces, and to see now that I really did!
Old 04-06-07, 09:00 PM
Santaria

Bikes: Surly CC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've gone from large and muscular to skinny and fast repeatedly in my lifetime -- conclusively that means I should be good at everything -- reality is I suck at 99% of the things I love to do, and the 1% of the things I'm good at I generally don't give a **** enough to continue them.

Climbing rules,
working sucks mostly,
Running, biking and yoga all are my 'stations of the cross,'
but then hanging out with my kids and watching them is even better...

...at least that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old 04-06-07, 09:22 PM
fat_bike_nut

Bikes: 2010 Surly LHT (main rider and do-everything bike), 2011 Bike Friday NWT (back-up bike and multi-modal)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Genetically designed for a specific sport?

Well, I'm one of those people who's just not good at anything, period. EVERY SINGLE SPORT I HAVE EVER TRIED, I FAILED AT UNLESS I PUT IN TONS AND TONS AND TONS AND TONS AND TONS OF TIME PRACTICING. I really hate it when I see someone who's "naturally" good at doing something

EDIT: I'm just really bitter about the "naturals" out there. Not me, I have struggle at everything I do.

Last edited by fat_bike_nut; 04-07-07 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-07-07, 09:09 PM
Sanulaw
Florida

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Turboem1
You always see about how professional athletes who are the best at what they do always have some sort of edge due to their genetics. A flexible gymnast, small horse jockey, tall basketball player ect... Some people have the correct muscular build/body for what they do.

If you knew that you could never be great at what sport you enjoyed would you stop? Would you be less serious? Would you approach it differently?

Would you consider a sport that maybe you didn't enjoy 100% but knew you had a great body for it?

Maybe your 6'3" 340lbs but you love biking. Should you give it up and try out a strong man competition? You would have a good base that most people couldn't get and you probably could not compete on a bike.
I would agree that genetics plays a bigger role when participating in competitive events. For instance, using your race horse jockey as an example, it is true they must be small, but they also must be light. A short heavy person won't make it as a jockey but that doesn't mean that the same person can't enjoy horseback riding. Some jockeys are naturally small and light while others have to use dieting, sweating and even drugs to keep their weight down. Many have serious medical problems due to this routine. Likewise if you're 5'10 and 140 lbs and desire to be an offensive lineman it won't work. So I think certain gentically configured body types gravitate to those sports that suit their build.
Old 04-08-07, 08:28 AM
katie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a short build and very powerful legs and booty. The shortness is genetic, but I can't say whether the muscle mass in my legs + butt are the result of genes or always being active (probably both).

The sports I'm good at are the ones that require a combination of brute strength on the lower half + balance on my feet + fearlessness at any speed. Downhill skiing, snowboarding, skating all come to mind. I've often thought that if I were born 20 years later (or born a boy) I'd be a gifted ice hockey player. Girls didn't play ice hockey when I was a teenager.

I'm not a genetically gifted cyclist but my strong legs make me OK at it enough to enjoy it. If it weren't for the speed/freedom factor of cycling I probably wouldn't be drawn to it.
Old 04-08-07, 10:11 AM
boyze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Develop a "sport" you would be good at, based on your interests and mental and physical predispositions. Every currently established "sport" is a result of someone doing just that. If you like cycling at a leisurely pace and recounting the high with BF banter then form a "sport" where that is the goal. You could have a hall-of-fame, super sunday, rookie-of-the-year, mvp, draft and most importantly your own set of rules to ensure that you are always the best
Old 04-11-07, 03:49 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
I've never been good at anything either. My whole life, like from diapers practically, I've had huge monster gigantic upper legs though. It's weird. More of a mutation than family heritage though, everyone else on both parents' sides is on the top-heavy side (though there is a lot of general stockiness, maybe I just got the bottom half, or 3rd quarter, of stocky and none of the top...). Hard to say I was a born cyclist though, I've always had horrendous (like, clinically horrendous) aerobic capacity. Cycling has done wonders for that, but that is an environmental not a heritable thing.
Old 04-12-07, 08:57 AM
laforce

Bikes: giant tcr comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
to answer the original post, i think it all depends on what you are looking for. There's never a reason to quit a sport that you love. If you realize that you are never going to win a race and are satisfied with that, more power to you.

If you are very competative, that makes a sport that you are good at more fun
If you are not very competative, that makes a sport that you love fun

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.