Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Some serious tension on the VS set this morn

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Some serious tension on the VS set this morn

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-07, 12:04 PM
blue_nose
Scottish Canuck in the US

Bikes: Trek 2100, Cervélo Carbon Soloist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by buckstoy
What he said was quote "I look at Alberto Contador like I look at Micheal Rasmussen, I look at a guy who shouldn't be able to do what he has done. I don't think he's worthy of the yellow jersey."

Then the other guys said that they agree. It's essentially a witch hunt.
You have to remember that these guys (and maybe even Versus as whole) have their livelihood dependent on the pro peleton. If the Tour implodes, they probably loose their primary source of income. Much like everyone else, they are fed up and want a sport they can be proud of.
Old 07-26-07, 12:07 PM
40 Cent
fixed for the long haul

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Professional, 1990 Cannondale 3.0 Touring bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JPradun
You'd have to be ignorant to think that an increase of 6-7km/hr (4+mph) over the past 30 years is mostly due to doping.
4+mph avg. increase over a 3-week stage race is a big difference. Just look at the hour record: Merckx' '72 record on steel (49.431 km) v. Sosenka's '05 ride on carbon (49.7 km). A little faster, sure, but...
Old 07-26-07, 12:10 PM
Laggard
Lance Hater

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rschulze
Couldn't you argue that advances in equipment and technology, training with power; could make up that difference?
Oh yes, some of it is technology. Like most performance improvements in any sport, most of it seems to be improved training methods. The 100 yard sprint is mostly neutral from an equipment point of view but look at the world record now verses 50 years ago.

The point has been made that the speed of the modern tdf and the overall increase in difficulty has really put most riders on the rivet so to say. Combine this with the ever increasing prestige of the TDF and you get a lot of riders desperate enough to try anything.
Old 07-26-07, 12:15 PM
Uncle Ted

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let's put 34kmph vs. 41 kmph in perspective here. 7 kmph doesn't sound like much but if you run some power estimates (admittedly on flats so not too precise and also assuming solo efforts) it comes to 325 watts vs. 200 watts. Sure high tech gear will make you more efficient, but not THAT much more efficient. Supposing that both the power calculator i'm using is off and that the effect of hills on these calculations will significantly skew the numbers (which it will) that is still plausibly thought to be too much of a difference to chalk up to technological improvements in gear and training over the last 30 years.

Last edited by Uncle Ted; 07-26-07 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-26-07, 12:20 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by GV27
Basically, yeah. LeMond was at the forefront of scientific training methods in the late '80s - I don't mean doping but rather heart rate monitoring, power output monitoring, etc. He says that in '91 he KNEW - scientifically - that he was in the best shape of his life but all of a sudden he was having trouble staying in the peloton's draft. He blames doping simply because he and his doctors were unable to find anything wrong with him.

Now with Contador the suspicions come from several things. He's looked like Superman every day for the past 2.5 weeks, he's set to become one of the youngest TdF champs ever and he's kinda come from nowhere this season. Yeah, he'd shown himself to be a talented young guy in the past but all of a sudden he's dominant.
C

Heck yeah he's dominant... all the big name riders have left the tour... through one scandal or another.

At this rate, the 2008 tour will be made up of some high school kids.
Old 07-26-07, 12:20 PM
julian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boyze
I bought my first racing bike in 1975. My most recent racing bike was bought in 2003. The differences are quite notable:

- 7 lbs
- brake lever mounted index shifting
- 150 psi, rarely flat tires
- 10 speed cassette
- clipless pedals
- half the spokes and bladed
- disc rear wheel
- aero bars
- aero helmut
- full spandex
- heart monitor and power meter training
- better understanding of training and nutrition
- faster teammates
- more focused specificity towards races
- real time tactics
- gel bars
- hotter podium babes
So, after all those years and all those bike improvements are you any faster?
7 pounds on a bike if you are around 150 pounds would mean a 4 percent weight difference if your old bike weighed 24 pounds and your new one weighs 17 pounds. Now do the pros have bikes that are that much lighter than 1974? Also they didn't wear helmets so they probably saved weight there and they did wear wind cheating lycra back then too.
To discount that doping is rampant and has been since the early 90's is just putting your head in the sand.
I tend to side more with Al on the issue than the other commentators. For Phil Bob and Paul to be shocked is beyond me. I think they were more shocked they were caught than the fact that they were doping.
You really can't blame the riders though, since it is the way they make money and the culture of doping pretty much let them get away with it.
They need to come up with a better system though to keep this from destroying the race and competitive road cycling.
If I ran the TDF I would:
1.Test riders before the race
2. Get rid of team doctors
3. Everyone eats in the same mess hall
4. Rooms are check every day
5. They have a rest day before the last day of the tour where they test all winners
6. Anyone who doesn't pass gets tossed
7. The podium places are given on the final day
8. They destroy all samples and say
See you next year!
Old 07-26-07, 12:21 PM
Simoni
King of the Dolomites

Bikes: Treks and Cannondales, Willier, Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blaireau
Interesting post. I can understand Phil's irritation at Al basically being an ignoramus on pro-cycling

He'd probably punch you in the face...
Old 07-26-07, 12:30 PM
boyze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For most of the race only the front few dudes are putting out that much power. Many riders on this forum could easily get pulled along in the middle of a 169 rider peleton on a flat stage at 25 mph without a synthetic juice IV
Old 07-26-07, 12:31 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Colonelmom
One thing you have to remember... when you take ANYTHING to enhance your performance.. FOR years... you are like an addict. How many of you can give up your cup of "caffine" in the morning... When someone is addicted to ANY substance it is very difficult to give up....
When are we going to admit that professional sports a FULL of cheaters... and cycling is no different.
I was thinking it's so clearly the same family of lies (to others) and denial (to self) you see in other addictions.
Old 07-26-07, 12:32 PM
Simoni
King of the Dolomites

Bikes: Treks and Cannondales, Willier, Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skinny
So, relatively speaking, in the 32 years from 1975 to 2007, the speed in the TDF has increased by the same amount as it took 72 years for the speed to increase from 1903 to 1975. Hmmm. Roads haven't changed that much in 32 years. Equipment has changed some, but not that much in 32 years. I still see riders out there with box section rims built 3x in many big races and radial spokings were common in '75. Steel and titanium frames are still being used and both were available in '75. I'd say there have been some unprecedented increases in racing speeds in the last few years that cannot be expained away by equipment changes or improvements in training.

By the way, what kind of frame were you riding three years ago that is basically obsolete today?

First, if you read the post you'd see that what was said was you can't totally dismiss equipment. I didn't say it was all equipment. Since I was racing in Europe during the period you mention, I know full well what I was riding. Note my mention of the involvement of the medical profession. "Better cycling through chemistry."

Second, the frame was a CAAD7. Even the original Six/13, the frame I rode after, that is obsolete.

Steel and titanium and the rest are not in the Pro Tour peloton. I can't even think, off the top of my head (other than a System Six) a Pro tour frame that has aluminum in it.
Old 07-26-07, 12:40 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedNut
Would you really dope again if the last time (possibly) almosed freakin KILLED YOU, PUT YOU IN A COMA, and now you have a titanium plate in your head, which according to sources on National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, when you use the microwave, make you piss your pants and forget who you are for a half hour or so? I would put Contador and David Millar in the same boat at this point, except I think Contador's lesson learned was probably (and unfortunately) more appropriate.
I wouldn't. A typical pro athlete would.

A survey of pro athletes a few years ago showed that a large number ( a majority if I remember correctly ) said they were willing to take something if it made them a champion in their sport, even if they knew it would kill them within two years. The drive to win in these guys is incomprehensible to us mere mortals.
Old 07-26-07, 12:41 PM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
In 1954 Roger Bannister ran the mile in 3.59.4

In 1999 Hicham El Gerrouj ran it in 3.43.13

Since 1975, the record has dropped six seconds (1975-1999 or 24 years)

Lots of things have changed in lots of sports. Not much for the better. Listening to Sportscenter on XM, the first 4 or 5 stories were all legal or cheating related.

Microcosm of society. Whatever it take to get ahead, get promoted, win, or feel good...as long as you don't get caught.

Pretty sad.
Old 07-26-07, 12:44 PM
Layback

Bikes: '05 LeMond Nevada City

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tmqgiant
I for one still think Vino and Rassmussen are great champions regardless. jmo.
Yeah, and Barry Bonds deserves fame and fortune.
Old 07-26-07, 12:48 PM
skinny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Simoni
First, if you read the post you'd see that what was said was you can't totally dismiss equipment. I didn't say it was all equipment. Since I was racing in Europe during the period you mention, I know full well what I was riding. Note my mention of the involvement of the medical profession. "Better cycling through chemistry.".
I think watching Evgeni Berzin perform in a Grand Tour was argument enough that the increases were primarily "better living through chemistry"

Originally Posted by Simoni
Second, the frame was a CAAD7. Even the original Six/13, the frame I rode after, that is obsolete.

Steel and titanium and the rest are not in the Pro Tour peloton. I can't even think, off the top of my head (other than a System Six) a Pro tour frame that has aluminum in it.
Umm, neither of those frames is obsolete. I won't even go into the frames in the protour that have aluminum in them, but here is a protour frame made of steel that was used last year. Notice the wheels. There are others, but I haven't the time.

The equipment changes in the last thirty years are not so significant as to account for the unprecedented rapid increase in performance. Lemond was right. When modern PEDs hit the scene, riders who couldn't hold his wheel were riding away from him and setting unprecedented record times in races.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_9987.jpg (74.5 KB, 86 views)
Old 07-26-07, 12:48 PM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
The commentary today sounded like a witch hunt, or Alice in Wonderland justice, "Sentence first, trial later, off with his head!" The fervor that every commentator exhibited in clamoring to prove that he is the most anti-doping commmentator was disgusting. Every single one assumes that Rasmussen is guilty of doping, yet Rasmussen has not tested positive for ANYTHING. He missed several urine drops in the off season, but he has not tested positive.

Reminds me of the Mc Carthy era where just mere innuendo made you guilty and then there was no way to prove your innocence. I almost gagged when Bob Rolle said that Rasmussen shouldn't complain that the yellow had been snatched from him because he was the one who "snatched" the yellow from all the adoring, hopeful fans by doping. Wake up Bob, he has never tested positive, how do you prove he doped.

And of course, after the fact, all the commentators can conclusively explain what happened in the past, "Oh, well the doping explains why he did so well in this stage or that stage, since Rasmussen is not known for his time trialing abilities." Well you know, all four of the commentators should stick to the very difficult task of predicting events that happened in the past, because they sure can't pick who is going to win any particular stage.

The anti doping hysteria has gone too far, and it is pathetic, although understandable, that the media has jumped on the bandwagon instead of exercising some independent judgement.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 07-26-07, 12:56 PM
gmason
Senior Member (Retired)

Bikes: Vittorio, Centaur triple; Casati Laser Piu, Chorus Triple.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by erader
... would you dope after almost losing your life to cancer and having a testicle removed? ...
Your subtle way of accusing LA of doping?
Old 07-26-07, 01:03 PM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Laggard
Yep. The TDF really changed in the 90s. It got so huge and involved so much potential sponsor money that the pressure to perform well became huge. That combined with the ever increasing average speed of the tour lead to a lot of riders willing to do anything to be part of it. Things got out of hand. Oh yeah, the average speed of the winner in 1975 was 34 kmh. In 2005 it was 41.
Your selective examples completely distort the time differences, as the yearly times var widely.

I'll take two examples that completely contradict your examples. In 1960, the average speed was 37 kph, in 2000 it was 38 kph. While there has been a steady increase in speed over time, it is not as great as you make it out to be and has only gone up approximately 5 kph since the middle of the 1950s, from about 35 kph to around 40 kph.

And by the way, the money has always been in the tour and doping has always been a huge part of the tour. In the first years of the tour, the dope of choice was strychnine and cognac. Doping has gotten different in the 90s, but I dare say that amphetamine/alcohol combinations during the race, which was the dope of choice in the 60s, was more effective than doping today.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 07-26-07, 01:05 PM
boyze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by julian
So, after all those years and all those bike improvements are you any faster?
Actually about the same. However, I suspect my 55 year old quads and significantly lower weekly mileage have more to do with my present speed than the equipment improvements.

7 pounds on a bike if you are around 150 pounds would mean a 4 percent weight difference if your old bike weighed 24 pounds and your new one weighs 17 pounds.
Very true. But a 4% reduction saves almost 2 minutes on Alpe d' Huez for the same world class effort.

Now do the pros have bikes that are that much lighter than 1974?
yup. Double butted 531 steel was pretty much the frame of choice. Recall the 13 lb weight minimum now in force.

Also they didn't wear helmets so they probably saved weight there and they did wear wind cheating lycra back then too.
most racing helmets are in the 8-10oz range. Lycra didn't hit the circuit until the early 80's. Wool was the preferred choice prior to lycra.

To discount that doping is rampant and has been since the early 90's is just putting your head in the sand.
wasn't discounting the influence of juicing, but simply pointing out the fact that bikes and associated equipment and training knowledge has change significantly in the last 30 years
Old 07-26-07, 01:49 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
If I ran the TDF I would:
1.Test riders before the race
2. Get rid of team doctors
3. Everyone eats in the same mess hall
4. Rooms are check every day
5. They have a rest day before the last day of the tour where they test all winners
6. Anyone who doesn't pass gets tossed
7. The podium places are given on the final day
8. They destroy all samples and say
See you next year!

Add to that a parallel testing lab... so the testing is not done in just one place. While it is the Tour d'France... it is also an international event. So pick a country that does not have riders in the Tour and ask them to do independent testing.
Old 07-26-07, 01:57 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Devil
I think Al was the most honest out of any of them, aside from Phil's comment about how riders go to the mountains alone to "prepare" (he used the quotation marks hand signs) with EPO, altitude training, doctors etc. and then ten days later you can't detect it. I was surprised he said that.

There is a code of silence with regard to the widespread prevalence of pro cycling doping within the pro cycling industry, Al broke that code, and that made the others uncomfortable.

But, I too was surprised at Phil's comments, for they were broaching breaking the code too.

Yet still, even with Al, there is this sense that they are trying to convey that there are only a few bad apples here and there, but it's not widespread. Note that they only concede as much as they absolutely must, given what even the ignorant now know, because conceding any less would be farcical. Al might have gone a bit further, but if you ask me, it's all farcical at this point.
Old 07-26-07, 01:58 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by boyze
I- hotter podium babes
yeah, but they've been subject to enhancing substances as well
Old 07-26-07, 02:06 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Originally Posted by Devil
I think Al was the most honest out of any of them,

I believe Liggett has an ownership interest in World Cycling Productions (that sells the Videos of TDF), and at any rate Phil and Paul are heavily invested in Pro cycling.

Trautwig has a 3 week gig, and does lots of other sports.
Old 07-26-07, 02:19 PM
skinny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by San Rensho
t I dare say that amphetamine/alcohol combinations during the race, which was the dope of choice in the 60s, was more effective than doping today.
So why aren't the riders using this today? Why aren't we seeing positive tests for these substances?

Curiouser and curiouser.
Old 07-26-07, 02:23 PM
gmason
Senior Member (Retired)

Bikes: Vittorio, Centaur triple; Casati Laser Piu, Chorus Triple.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skinny
So why aren't the riders using this today? ...
The death of Tom Simpson forty years ago directly as a result might be one.
Old 07-26-07, 02:26 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Originally Posted by gmason
The death of Tom Simpson forty years ago directly as a result might be one.
Or that it had little real benefit, certainly compared to EPO.

And one death wouldn't stop an effective doping method. Tens, if not hundreds of cyclists have died from EPO use.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.