Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

When is a frame worth fixing?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 08-09-15, 08:46 PM
nesteel 

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 114 Posts

Recently acquired a Giordana frame constructed of Columbus SLX tubing. I have $0 dollars into it, so if I have to toss it or use it for wall art, no biggie to me. When looking it over the other evening while working in the garage, I noticed a very mild ripple in the downtube, and to a lesser degree the top tube. Is it worth sending it out to a pro to have the head tube realigned?
Old 08-09-15, 10:13 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 653 Posts
Giordana Frame well worth straigntening.

Yes, very much so. The forks too.

Caveate: depends on the amount of damage, Some frame builder would prefer to replace the top and down tube which runs into real money with decals and a repaint.

The head tube geometry changes on a frame that's run into something plus the fork rake and steerer can be off. An average inexperienced rider may not feel any difference but because you discovered the slight damage, it may constantly nag you.

A well aligned frame is a joy to ride!

Giordana frames were built for Gita Sporting Goods Ltd. the US importer/distributor for Giordana cycling apparel.

Pegoretti helped design the Giordana house brand frames for Gita.

"[At one time] Gita was the sole importer for Pinarello, Merckx, DeRosa, and Pegoretti.... Giordana frames sold for $1190 when you could buy a Merckx Sl or DeRosa for $895.00."

I have a Giordana Capella frame made with Oria tubing. The person I bought it from used to sell Giordana frames back in the late 80's and early 90's. He told me that it was made by Pegoretti. I was told by someone else that the less expensive Giordana frames were made by Billato, a major Italian contract builder for better quality frames.

The better quality Giordana frames (i.e. maybe yours) with Columbus SLX tubing were most likely made by Pegoretti.

So yes whether it's a Bilatto or Pegoretti it's well worth having it straightened and realigned. A good frame builder should be able to get most of the kinks out and restore the original frame geometry.

You may get some minor paint chipping at the kink but that cane be easily touched up.

verktyg

Chas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Giordana1-Front-Cropped.jpg (42.8 KB, 31 views)
Giordana4.jpg (52.2 KB, 31 views)
Giordana2-Fork.jpg (36.8 KB, 25 views)
Giordana3.jpg (52.6 KB, 26 views)

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 08-09-15 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-10-15, 10:23 AM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
if its mild it can possibly be rolled out and the frame realligned.
Not sure where in the midwest you are but find a local frame builder and bring the frame to him/her for evaluation.
If it's Pegoretti built it is definitely worth it.
Marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 08-10-15, 10:35 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked 2,209 Times in 1,102 Posts
@nesteel - you didn't state if you had the fork or not. If you do and it is bent, it too may be salvageable. Start with checking the steerer for straightness. If it is bent, then the choice is rebuild (brazing with new parts) based on the crown or dispose. FYI
Old 08-10-15, 11:46 AM
nesteel 

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 114 Posts
The frame in question is a Polaris model. It is definitely SLX as it has the rifled splines visible in the chainstays and bottom of the steerer tube. I have the frame and fork, and I'll be speaking with a trusted frame builder about straightening it out. The distortion is pretty minor. How would one tell is the frame is Pegoretti built?
Old 08-10-15, 12:31 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 653 Posts
Originally Posted by nesteel
...How would one tell is the frame is Pegoretti built?
By the price tag....

The Billato Brothers built a lot of premium quality frames for top name marques including actual team bikes!

For example Billato made the Greg Lemond production frames from the Team Z period. They also built a lot of the Concorde frames including the PDM Team Replica model and some of the PDM Team frames.

So, either way, Pegoretti or Billato, you have a frame worth keeping. The kinks in the top and down tube may not be completely removable but if they're small they wont be visible to anyone who isn't OCD, especially once all the parts are installed.

I bought a "mint" 1982 Motobecane Team Champion frame on eBay and did a local pickup. As I walked up to the seller, he was holding it out and I noticed from about 10 feet away that the forks didn't look quite right. The first thing I did was look at the fork ends - TANGE! It was a replacement fork! I felt under the top and down tubes and found small ripples. It had been in a front ender!

I took it to a local frame builder and we put it on his layout table. The alignment was not far off. I had the alignment corrected but still I was sick over the ordeal. The seller gave me a substantial refund. The frame sat half assembled for years before I found a Gitane fork that matched the original Motobecane fork and finished the job.

From 5 feet away, no one can tell that anything ever happened to the frame. Anyone who gets closer - "GET AWAY FROM MY BIKE YOU PERV!"

Get it straitened and enjoy!

verktyg

Chas.
Attached Images

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 08-10-15 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-10-15, 12:42 PM
Ross73

Bikes: 1965 Flying Scot, Look 566, Bianchi??, 1983 Mongoose Californian,70's Peugeot Single speed thing, Raleigh flyer.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When is a frame worth repairing? that is a very good question! I have recently completed and full restoration of a 1964 Flying Scot that tbh if I had found it on eBay or the likes I would have written it off as beyond economical repair! But it was my Fathers old race bike so scrapping was not an option. I replaced the steering tube so I could use the original forks, but to be done properly it needs a new seat tube, bottom Bracket and the rear dropouts replaced. I restored it as best I could without the major frame work and it looks pretty hanging on my office wall but it does not ride like it did in 1964 lol.

But where do you stop with frame repairs? You soon get in to the 'Triggers Broom' scenario (link if you were not into British 80's sitcoms lol) https://youtu.be/HisD_pqlRHQ

Its like finding Eddy Merckx's last Tour winning bike but having to replace every tube and drop out..Would it be his bike? No I don't think so. I think to sum up If a bike has historical or sentimental importance then its a very grey area. If it just to make a fantastic bike great again then its a £/$ question on what you have.