Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Sturmey Archer Cassette Freehub Body for X-RDC - HSA898

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-17, 10:49 AM
PRH

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hi, does anyone have any experience with these...? I like the hub, works well in its intended application... but I think the freehub part will fail soon, the freehub didn't look the soundest from day 1... the question is, are Shimano or other freehubs compatible with this Sturmey Archer hub...? the SA replacement freehub is a bit expensive, and would be the same low quality as the current one... would like to get a higher quality freehub for the severe winter conditions that I commute in... SA often use their own unique ancient British threading on other parts such as axles, so it's possible they do here as well... but then again, there were no ancient British freehubs, and probably SA are just buying them off the shelf from someone, like from Suntour or Shimano, and rebranding... if anyone has any insight would be greatly appreciated... thanks...!
Old 12-21-17, 10:55 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
https://www.sturmey-archer.com/files/...0-%20X-RDC.pdf

#13; HSA898 Cassette Freebody Assembly .. If concerned enough, Why not Just get a spare.. ?

Im still using the S-A drum-freewheel hub I got 30 years ago .. before the buy out.

they are a division of the ROC company Sun Race ltd, now..

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-21-17 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-16-19, 09:57 AM
glye

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
I just had the freehub body of my X-RDC fail on me. I haven't been able to pull it apart yet to inspect it, but it feels much the same as another hub that failed on me recently - that one cracked, in an area where the material is less than 1 mm thick! And that was a Sunrace. Picture in the post: https://www.bikeforums.net/20927760-post1146.html

Judging from the Sturmey Archer parts list pdf, the ratchet design is the same or very similar. Now, I admit the X-RDC was in for a tough job with 24t front, 42t rear (biggest cog). But the Sunrace was set up 45t front, 36t rear. If it can't handle even that, it's a flawed design I think. I second the question: Are there any alternative freehub bodies that fit?

For that matter, where can I even get the original parts? I see no shop selling them, so I guess it's direct from Sunrace / SA only.

Last question: What cassette hub would you say is the one to get for really low gearing with a heavy cyclist and heavy bike? Preferably bomb proof without being esoteric / hard to get or insanely expensive. Solid threaded axle or QR.
Thanks.
Old 05-16-19, 10:32 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Id probably say Shimano's mid line steel axle hubs,

you can substitute the QR 10x1mm axle for a solid steel one.. if you prefer..

If you strain the driver with your Fjord wall climbing low gears..

The driver can be replaced.. pretty simply ..

S-A USA has an Office in California *, but the goods are shipped to distributors ..

* I expect there is a similar office for the European market...

I see no shop selling them
Not sitting on a shelf waiting at retail level is not surprising..
did you inquire about them contacting their wholesalers about ordering them ?

Old 05-16-19, 12:31 PM
glye

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Id probably say Shimano's mid line steel axle hubs,
you can substitute the QR 10x1mm axle for a solid steel one.. if you prefer..
If you strain the driver with your Fjord wall climbing low gears..
The driver can be replaced.. pretty simply ..
Thanks, sounds good. Hope the driver is steel.

The 24/42 gearing isn't actually low, most MTBs are effectively geared lower. The bike is a 36er, and the giant wheels need a correspondingly large cassette and small granny to be able to climb anything. I can pedal up to 40 km/t in the 24/11 top gear

Not sitting on a shelf waiting at retail level is not surprising..
did you inquire about them contacting their wholesalers about ordering them ?
I meant online, I found nothing in a quick search. The hub is still under warranty, but the online retailer wanted me to send them the whole hub in order to make a warranty claim, meaning I'd have to take the wheel apart, just to get a driver replaced. No thanks. I'm waiting for them to get back to me on that. I haven't contacted SA yet, will get to that next.
Old 05-16-19, 01:29 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Yea, that is a downside of online buying..
Old 05-16-19, 08:11 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by glye
I just had the freehub body of my X-RDC fail on me. I haven't been able to pull it apart yet to inspect it, but it feels much the same as another hub that failed on me recently - that one cracked, in an area where the material is less than 1 mm thick! And that was a Sunrace. Picture in the post: https://www.bikeforums.net/20927760-post1146.html

Judging from the Sturmey Archer parts list pdf, the ratchet design is the same or very similar. Now, I admit the X-RDC was in for a tough job with 24t front, 42t rear (biggest cog). But the Sunrace was set up 45t front, 36t rear. If it can't handle even that, it's a flawed design I think. I second the question: Are there any alternative freehub bodies that fit?

For that matter, where can I even get the original parts? I see no shop selling them, so I guess it's direct from Sunrace / SA only.

Last question: What cassette hub would you say is the one to get for really low gearing with a heavy cyclist and heavy bike? Preferably bomb proof without being esoteric / hard to get or insanely expensive. Solid threaded axle or QR.
Thanks.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spar...r-xrdc-hsa898/
Old 05-18-19, 02:28 AM
glye

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Thanks, I eventually found this one too, and ordered it. SJS is a good shop. I hope this solves the problem. If not, or it breaks again soon, it's time for a re-think. The frame has no disc tabs. It looks like my options are:
- Shimano roller brake, if I can find a 9/10-speed compatible hub for it. Only found a 7-speed so far.
- Shimano non-disk cassette hub (cheaply replaceable freehub), and put the rim brakes back on (eugh...).
- DT Swiss or similar solid-but-not-CK-level-pricey hub, and one of those dangerous looking disk brake adapters for non-disk frames. Option: Spread out the frame a bit for a Boost or fat-lite hub, to give the huge 36" wheel a bit better bracing angles. The frame is steel and the chainstays are miles long.

Yea, that is a downside of online buying..
Yes. For the record, buying this stuff locally is not a choice where I live. The LBS's have your standard racers, MTBs and ebikes, and they can order more of the same from their catalogs, but once your tastes stray from the common path you're on your own. Sturmey Archer is considered esoteric, if they have any idea about it. I do buy clothes, shoes, helmets, chains and cables locally, tires when they have them, and bikes on the rare occasion that I want something vanilla. [insert snooty hipster emoji here]
Old 05-18-19, 07:38 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Some big stores have online sales, some are just online , with no storefront..

Im guessing from afar, SJS Cycles is like the 1st type

Local here is small only sells some things on eBay

& located not where there is a posh customer base, though tourist's come from

places where higher end stuff is stocked... such as in the biggest city in the state..

so special orders are rushed through to get them back on the road , down the coast..

Meanwhile they enjoy our larger hospitality sector businesses..

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-18-19 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-19-19, 01:48 AM
glye

Originally Posted by glye

Judging from the Sturmey Archer parts list pdf, the ratchet design is the same or very similar. Now, I admit the X-RDC was in for a tough job with 24t front, 42t rear (biggest cog). But the Sunrace was set up 45t front, 36t rear. If it can't handle even that, it's a flawed design I think. (...)
I got it off now, and yes, it's the same design as the Sunrace one, and it failed in exactly the same way: Cracked in the pawl hinge, due to thin material there. This one is steel, and the Sunrace one is aluminium. That might explain why this one lasted as long as it did (660 km vs 350 km) despite being much lower geared. Anyway: Strong and/or heavy riders should beware of Sturmey Archer / Sunrace freehubs.

https://imgur.com/a/S9aCONQ
Old 05-19-19, 09:34 PM
PRH

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi, not sure that you can replace the axle. The issue with SA products is that they use this old English thread standard. For example you have to use their axle bolts, ISO threaded axle bolts won't screw on to their axles. Same thing with their threaded freewheels, you can only put their freewheel on their hub, as the rest of the world use ISO threading. So the parts that thread on to the axle won't, if you take an ISO threaded quick release axle and attempt to replace it. I'm not sure if this applies to freehub bodies though, they didn't exist when SA was still SA before they were sold to Sunrace. Sunrace have no documentation or info on this, they are very weak in that area.
Old 05-20-19, 11:20 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by PRH
hi, not sure that you can replace the axle. The issue with SA products is that they use this old English thread standard. For example you have to use their axle bolts, ISO threaded axle bolts won't screw on to their axles. Same thing with their threaded freewheels, you can only put their freewheel on their hub, as the rest of the world use ISO threading. So the parts that thread on to the axle won't, if you take an ISO threaded quick release axle and attempt to replace it. I'm not sure if this applies to freehub bodies though, they didn't exist when SA was still SA before they were sold to Sunrace. Sunrace have no documentation or info on this, they are very weak in that area.
The X-RDC has a 10mm axle according to the specs. https://www.sturmey-archer.com/files/...AKE%20HUBS.pdf
Most of their IGHs have a 13/32 x 26 axle.
There is a part number for the axle which would indicate it is available as a replacement part. This hub has cartridge bearings so likely the axle has shoulders for the bearing to stop against.
Old 05-20-19, 02:53 PM
glye

Yes, the X-RDC axle is replaceable, SJS sells that too. Not sure why one would want to, if it isn't broken. The problem is the freehub body.

We mentioned replacing the axle of Shimano hubs, some of them apparently allow you to replace a QR axle with a solid nutted axle. Both of which are original Shimano parts. This might be good for my bike, which has high torque (small chainring) - if I have to replace the hub anyway.

But now that we've found a supplier for the freehub body I'll try replacing just that first, keep the hub, and be careful and hope it lasts a bit longer. I'll avoid rebuilding the wheel if I can.

PRH, it seems you're right that the SA X-RDC gets its freehub body from Sunrace. I have a Sunrace hub which failed in the same way as the SA, and a closer look shows it's the same weak design.