Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Can I use an old Lifecycle with Zwift?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-18, 01:38 PM
Tpcorr

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 1987 Cannondale SR500 105, Univega Nuovo Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

I have an old Lifecycle 6500 that works great! It has a plastic housing , which when removed, exposes a flywheel in the front. I'm trying to figure out how to get it to work with Zwift. I can attach a Garmin cadence sensor to the crank, and a speed sensor to the flywheel. Assuming i can set the proper circumference in my Garmin Edge 520, is there a way to get the info from my 520 to my laptop so I can use Zwift? Or should I just watch cycling videos this winter?

I realize there won't be any resistance feedback, and that's ok with me. Thanks. I'm going to try to post a picture of the 6500.

Tom

Last edited by Tpcorr; 12-17-18 at 01:55 PM. Reason: content
Old 12-17-18, 02:13 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
How would Zwift determine your speed?
Old 12-17-18, 02:41 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
I think Zwift needs your power output more than speed or cadence. If you can put a powermeter crankset or pedal on there, then that could work as long as you can crank up resistance on the flywheel to bump the power up when you need to.
Old 12-17-18, 02:44 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Doesn't look like its on the list of supported trainers https://zwift.com/hardware#ready
Old 12-17-18, 03:12 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
If it takes a 9/16 pedal, - a Garmin or powertap pedal will get it going
Old 12-17-18, 04:23 PM
Tpcorr

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 1987 Cannondale SR500 105, Univega Nuovo Sport

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the input. If I use a powertap pedal, how would that data get transmitted to the zwift app? Sorry if it's obvious, but I;m not that savvy about this stuff
Old 12-17-18, 05:09 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Tpcorr
Thanks for the input. If I use a powertap pedal, how would that data get transmitted to the zwift app? Sorry if it's obvious, but I;m not that savvy about this stuff
Via bluetooth to your phone or tablet or computer
Old 12-18-18, 05:17 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
You can do it - I have ridden Zwift from Lifecycles or equivalent on bikes in my local gym and in hotel exercise rooms.

Buy a Powertap Powercal heart rate monitor/power "estimator" and run Zwift on whatever you want that can communicate with the Powercal via Bluetooth and voila, you are zwifting on anything - Lifecycle, rowing machine, just running down the street...

Full description here.

The downside I found: it is kinda hard to really go all out on those gym exercycles, never really get in the upper zones of heart rate and my time in the gym is usually limited, so end up with kinda slow and short rides - they upload to Strava for getting "credit" but not really worth it. Marginally less boring than watching the gym TV or reading the old magazines in most hotel gyms.
Old 12-18-18, 06:14 AM
Tpcorr

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
You can do it - I have ridden Zwift from Lifecycles or equivalent on bikes in my local gym and in hotel exercise rooms.

Buy a Powertap Powercal heart rate monitor/power "estimator" and run Zwift on whatever you want that can communicate with the Powercal via Bluetooth and voila, you are zwifting on anything - Lifecycle, rowing machine, just running down the street...

Full description here.

The downside I found: it is kinda hard to really go all out on those gym exercycles, never really get in the upper zones of heart rate and my time in the gym is usually limited, so end up with kinda slow and short rides - they upload to Strava for getting "credit" but not really worth it. Marginally less boring than watching the gym TV or reading the old magazines in most hotel gyms.
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.
Old 12-18-18, 11:27 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore

Full description here.

Coincidentally, I ordered one for my wife yesterday so she can use her spin bike to zwift. She won't put in anywhere near the time and effort that I do, so it's not worth getting a whole smart trainer set up but as you mention, it's less boring than listening to books on tape.

Do you have to calibrate the power output though, and if so, how do you do it without a power source?
Old 12-18-18, 02:32 PM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
The Bluetooth unit I bought has no calibration procedure, I think for the ANT+ version you can contact support@powertap.com and they can tell you how to calibrate it. I doubt it is very accurate but in my use on my road bike (I don't have a power meter) it was at least consistent. Or, I guess my heartrate must have been consistent...