Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Change brand folding bike?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 02-26-19, 06:05 PM
jcrider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Have we discussed the Change brand of folding bikes here? I searched, but the word change is too ubiquitous.

As somebody who has been on the infamous helix list for 3+ years, I wish I knew of this option for a folding full size bike. It appears to be lighter than the Helix as well. I saw a lady rolling one on the way to the DC metro today and it looked good. Any experience?

https://www.changebike.com/df-702b
Old 02-26-19, 07:27 PM
violini

Bikes: Modern steel frame road bike, titanium cruzbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, it was mentioned here quite some time ago. You need to search with the key word " changebike ". I am going to Taipei in March and will try to test ride 702.
The price for a complete bike is 31,800 NTD, frame 19,800

Last edited by violini; 02-27-19 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-27-19, 12:23 AM
Raxel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by jcrider
Have we discussed the Change brand of folding bikes here? I searched, but the word change is too ubiquitous.

As somebody who has been on the infamous helix list for 3+ years, I wish I knew of this option for a folding full size bike. It appears to be lighter than the Helix as well. I saw a lady rolling one on the way to the DC metro today and it looked good. Any experience?

https://www.changebike.com/df-702b
I heard the frame weighs 2.3kg, and is available separately. You can build a very lightweight (~15lbs or less) hybrid bike using that frame.
Old 02-27-19, 09:30 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
Changebike - I'm guessing some of Montague's patents have run out?
Old 02-27-19, 09:16 PM
BCATC

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Been really interested in this. Wished they made a 650b road/gravel bike sort of frame. The 700c version seems to fit 28mm tires max based on what I've been reading and I'm not sure how well their 650b MTB frame would respond to drop bars with its geometry...
Old 02-28-19, 12:42 AM
Raxel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Changebike - I'm guessing some of Montague's patents have run out?
They use quite different (and I think to be better) folding mechanism, and is lighter than montague frame (no need for super thick single top tube)

Originally Posted by BCATC
Been really interested in this. Wished they made a 650b road/gravel bike sort of frame. The 700c version seems to fit 28mm tires max based on what I've been reading and I'm not sure how well their 650b MTB frame would respond to drop bars with its geometry...
Unless you are short, their 27.5" MTB frame will make a nice disc brake road (or adventure) bike. Their smallest MTB frame has TT length of 55.5cm.
Old 02-28-19, 12:48 AM
BCATC

Originally Posted by Raxel
Unless you are short, their 27.5" MTB frame will make a nice disc brake road (or adventure) bike. Their smallest MTB frame has TT length of 55.5cm.
Fortunately I normally fit 56cm road bikes so I think I'd fit their smallest MTB frame. I wasn't sure how big of a difference head tube length would make between their 27.5 and 700c frame (20mm difference)
Old 02-28-19, 08:14 AM
Roegmann

Bikes: Pacific Cycles GT, Downtube Mini 2015 version, LitePro Crius 14"

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Actually, I'm saving up for the 602. I am 5'-8" (173 cm), so the 18" would fit me perfectly. They've come out with a new line, the 812, but there is not much on it in the blogoshpere yet. The website folding tales (https://www.foldingtales.com/) does a nice review of a couple other Changebike options. That's the site that convinced me to get the PC GT.
Old 02-28-19, 11:12 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
Originally Posted by Raxel
They use quite different (and I think to be better) folding mechanism, and is lighter than montague frame (no need for super thick single top tube)
Seems very similar to the older Montague design.
Old 02-28-19, 01:36 PM
Roegmann

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here is the previous thread discussing older models of both

Old 03-01-19, 02:35 AM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by BCATC

For the 700c version, I asked Ekaputra who reviewed it on his Folding Tales site.
This is what he had to say :
"Thanks for the kind words, JK! Now that you’ve mentioned it, I have been considering this exact 650b project myself. Based on initial measurements taken 320mm from the brake mounting point, the clearance between chainstays measures to be about 46mm. I believe 42mm tires should be able to fit, but I will need to find someone with a spare 650b wheel to try this out. But if considering 38mm tires, those will fit without any doubts! As far as rims go, I am seeing Pacenti and HED rims as they are the only two that I know of right now that have rim brake specific 650b rims."

With respect to the DF-611MB (ie. Hybrid version)
A online vendor said that they tried it out and the limitation is the carbon front fork, which will only comfortably fit 1.5" tires. I presume he meant knobblies which are wider as he said 1.65" tires would only fit if the tire pressure was enough.
On the rear, and for the MTB version (MTB fork), its been shown to take up till 2.1"
https://flatbike.com/27-5/

There is supposed to be a 650b version coming Mar or Apr, I am waiting for this one so that there is less hassle to get the DF-611MB and find a wider non-tapered carbon fork.

Planned build will be :
105 groupset
50-34 compact crank
11-36t XT cassette (expanded by roadlink if necessary)
650b wheels with 42mm tires (probably Panaracer gravel Kings or Pari moto)
Old 03-04-19, 03:09 AM
pinholecam

Its now on the Change Bike webpage.

The new head tube for tapered forks is welcome as most of the newer and better forks are now tapered.
Old 03-04-19, 04:30 PM
BCATC

Originally Posted by pinholecam

Its now on the Change Bike webpage.

The new head tube for tapered forks is welcome as most of the newer and better forks are now tapered.
It looks very promising, hopefully a price on the frame and fork will follow soon. Foldingtale's review of the Ritchey Breakaway also has me considering that, or the cheaper Raleigh Grand Prix which seems to use an identical system.
Old 03-04-19, 11:23 PM
pinholecam

Yes, I actually dropped a message on their website to check on availability.
Hope they reply.

The Raleigh version of the breakaway is no more iirc.
It was a steal at the price they were selling it, though the often negative about that version was the lack of mounting points for what is supposed to be a touring orientated frame.
I also was apprehensive of the setup/take-down times and some constraints like having to break down the bike to get on trains/coaches/hotels/etc (if necessary)
Old 03-05-19, 10:22 PM
BCATC

Originally Posted by pinholecam
Yes, I actually dropped a message on their website to check on availability.
Hope they reply.

The Raleigh version of the breakaway is no more iirc.
It was a steal at the price they were selling it, though the often negative about that version was the lack of mounting points for what is supposed to be a touring orientated frame.
I also was apprehensive of the setup/take-down times and some constraints like having to break down the bike to get on trains/coaches/hotels/etc (if necessary)

Changebike just updated their site to include just the frame and dimensions. I’m assuming I’ll need to figure out the effective top tube length to get a proper idea of what size to potentially get?

Old 03-06-19, 08:10 AM
Roegmann

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did you inquire as to the "folded" dimensions as well? The 602 line is 31"x13"x28" (from an e-mail reply from ChangeBike about a year ago) and I'd be interested how they compare (larger wheels not withstanding).