Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Custom insole suggestions?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 04-22-19, 06:48 PM
steinercat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Time to replace my custom Footbalance insoles and the shop in my area don't carry them anymore, so I'm looking at other brands that do custom molded insoles.

Will probably have it done in Los Angeles.

Any recommendations on what other brands to consider?

I'm only considering custom/molded insoles.

Thanks!
Old 04-24-19, 06:08 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
How about going to a Podiatrist in your area, Las Vegas?

https://www.apma.org/Patients/FootHe...ItemNumber=988
Likes For Garfield Cat:
Old 04-24-19, 12:50 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Im old .. I got Birkenstock (3/4) insoles , in the US, at my local store in Eugene ,

now you have to order them, direct, from Germany/.
Old 04-24-19, 06:03 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Have you tried SuperFeet? Not custom at all but work really well for a lot of folks!
Old 04-24-19, 07:18 PM
steinercat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Have you tried SuperFeet? Not custom at all but work really well for a lot of folks!

I haven't tried those. I have tried the Pearl Izumi's though, and for what I've read, are similar to Superfeets.

Thanks.
Old 04-26-19, 06:12 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 695 Times in 434 Posts
I had plantar fasciitis a few years back. The foot doc recommended Powerstep ProTech Control insoles (got a cortisone shot also). After the cortisone shot, the foot problem is gone, still using those insoles in all of my shoes and boots and can really tell the difference if I put on a pair of shoes without them. You can go for the Pinnacle for a little less--the Pinnacle doesn't have the heel pad. Not custom, but made to fit your shoe size (no trimming), and they have great arch support. I've had mine for around 3 years, and they are still going strong-bought several for diff.shoes and boots. Link: https://www.powersteps.com/shop-prod...orthotics.html
Old 04-28-19, 06:50 AM
Garfield Cat

Steinercat: what do you think about going to a Podiatrist for "custom/molded insoles".
Old 04-28-19, 08:57 AM
Secret Squirrel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
I like the Fizik 3D Flex Moldable Cycling Insole. I have been using the arch support to relieve the pressure on my metatarsal arch. Molded in the oven and conformed to my high arch. Low volume for my cycling shoes.
Old 04-30-19, 11:23 AM
steinercat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Steinercat: what do you think about going to a Podiatrist for "custom/molded insoles".

I think too expensive for my simple needs. The consultation fee + insoles was around $300+ last time I checked.

I say 'simple' because the Footbalance insoles are nothing complicated, and they have worked really well for me.

@Squirrel. Those Fizik insoles look interesting. Going to research on those.

Thanks all!
Old 04-30-19, 11:45 AM
bicycale

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I've had very good luck with Sole.

They are oven molded and have helped a lot.

Ive tried lots

Super feet, powerstep and several others and sole has worked by far best for me.

They have several models with different volumes for the best fit without the expense of truly custom products.

REI sells them but if you have no access to a store to try them then my recommendation is to order a few different models from a place with a good return policy so you can try them out before you bake them and really commit.

Foot problem are a nightmare

Best of luck...

https://yoursole.com/us
Old 05-01-19, 02:40 AM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
I've been very happy with my RETUL molded insoles which I got as part of a bike fit.
Old 05-02-19, 12:05 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What brands or products are good for relieving pressure and pain around the base of the big toes ???
Old 05-03-19, 04:10 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Originally Posted by srode1
I've been very happy with my RETUL molded insoles which I got as part of a bike fit.
Over two years ago I had a Retul fitting and the only upsell was insoles and they had a discount on custom molded Footbalance. That was the first time I tried anything other than what came with the shoe - I really like them and they have lasted a long time.

So, if you can't get those, in my other biking shoes I tried Superfeet (the BLACK variant, at the recommendation of Superfeet support) that REI had on sale. Those aren't custom molded, but they were less expensive and seem to feel just as good on my SPD type shoes on my touring/beater bike, compared to the Footbalance on my SPD-SL shoes on the road bike.
Old 05-03-19, 06:02 AM
jbell_64

Bikes: Trek fx 7.2, Raleigh Tamland

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I'm currently using aetrex insoles. About 50 bucks a pair. They use a pressure mapping computerized pad you stand on to tell you which insoles you need. It's like the dr scholls set up, but actually works.
Old 05-03-19, 06:21 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts

Powerstep Original Full Length Orthotic Shoe Insoles

I like these because they can make any shoe feel like you're walking on air. Support but with just the right amount of cushioning to make your feet the last thing on your mind. Even after a full day of standing or walking, they turned any shoe into clouds of joy. I even use them on my mediocre cleats, and they go right up to size 48 and beyond.

Just take caution they take up some space in the shoe, so you may need to choose a half size larger -- which is what I do -- depending on how snug you like your fit.

The only con is they can be pricey.

Last edited by KraneXL; 05-04-19 at 09:39 PM.
Old 05-04-19, 06:29 PM
Kent T

Bikes: 2002 Trek 800 Singletrack, 1982 Bridgestone Spica

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
How about going to a Podiatrist in your area, Las Vegas?

https://www.apma.org/Patients/FootHe...ItemNumber=988
Or find a Pedorthist (they do a lot of custom inserts, and footwear and alterations.
Old 05-04-19, 08:00 PM
Secret Squirrel

You would need to go to a podiatrist that knows cycling. I went to multiple podiatrist for my daughter's soccer ailments and they hadn't a clue when I asked them about cycling with clipless pedals. They tried hard to explain their treatments but it was clear that they were trying to use running as a base for their counntermeasures.
Old 05-04-19, 08:32 PM
Secret Squirrel

After a lot of
self education, I purchased a foam molding kit from amazon and molded some plaster casts of my unloaded feet. Purchased a few types of heatmolded insoles. Among which were the "sole" insoles. My feet have never felt better. I wish that I could go to someone to get this type of service, but it would require multiple visits to someone who really knows the issues involved. All of which I don't have the funds to explore. I would encourage others to "self medicate"
Old 05-05-19, 07:52 AM
Garfield Cat

I'm thinking that the feet are one thing and maybe there's more to it. From what I understand, the body tends to compensate and tries to self-adjust for "weakness" on one area.

Several events: college cross country coach sent me to a podiatrist and I got the custom orthotics made of hard plastic with no give.

Then years later a orthopedic guy, famous for working on the L.A. Lakers, he showed me how my flat feet and knock knees will limit my long term sport of distance running.

Then twenty years later, the pro bike fitter asked me to walk up and down the hallway. That right leg is turning inwards, and a history of an injury.

Now in 2018, the Yoga guy says I'm way out of alignment and to get out of that "compensatory" status, go for stretching and posture correction. So now stretching and holding the pose.
Old 05-05-19, 09:18 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
I'm thinking that the feet are one thing and maybe there's more to it. From what I understand, the body tends to compensate and tries to self-adjust for "weakness" on one area.

Several events: college cross country coach sent me to a podiatrist and I got the custom orthotics made of hard plastic with no give.

Then years later a orthopedic guy, famous for working on the L.A. Lakers, he showed me how my flat feet and knock knees will limit my long term sport of distance running.

Then twenty years later, the pro bike fitter asked me to walk up and down the hallway. That right leg is turning inwards, and a history of an injury.

Now in 2018, the Yoga guy says I'm way out of alignment and to get out of that "compensatory" status, go for stretching and posture correction. So now stretching and holding the pose.
Caveat? Lesson learned? Conclusion?
Old 05-05-19, 10:07 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
I have a long history of using insoles, faux-custom insoles, real custom insoles(podiatrist made..), plantar fasciitis...

BTDT with the inexpensive (non-podiatrist) "custom moldable" insoles.. Frankly, not impressed..and went back to more conventional inserts like Superfeet, Sole(not molded, worn stock), Sof Sole, Spenco Total Max (hard plastic arch, not bendable foam Max version)...

With respect to the faux-custom insoles..If you think about it for a minute, the "put them in the oven and then wear them to make for a custom fit".. logic has a fatal flaw.

Thought (and actual) experiment:
1) buy into the marketeer's "put them in the oven and then wear them to make for a custom fit"
2) heat them up
3) take them out of the oven
4) apply a good amount of force to the arch..say, take the heel of your hand and press down on the arch
5) maintain force until the thermoplastic arch cools off and re-sets it's shape.
6) you now have what was formerly a good arch and you've got a flatten-out insole with minimal arch
7) hmm..that sucks as you no longer have the stiff arch support you need.

Same thing happens when to heat them up and insert them into a shoe and walk around. Your foot-arch flattens out (foot over-pronation) the warm-flexible insole arch, the insole becomes flatter from the force, the insole cools off and re-sets its shape, and you've ruined, or at least reduced, any support the insole might have offered. The arch is surely not going to rise up, or maintain its shape, to support your arch..why would it??

It might work for some folks, and it might not, but it certainly doesn't make any logical-mechanical sense. No doubt the marketeering claims of custom..and cheap..plays well in the marketplace though...as people love that sort of thing. And once they are sold, you've molded them, and they don't work you can't return them..so..it's all good for the seller.

Some good insoles have been mentioned. The key is a stiff, non-flexible arch (not just thick flexi-foam) that is high enough to fit your arch, support your weight and keep your arch-foot from over-pronation.

...it's your money..wasted or not, it supports the economy..
Old 05-07-19, 07:14 AM
Garfield Cat

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Caveat? Lesson learned? Conclusion?
Its not just the feet. More like taking a look at the forest and then the trees.

All of them: cross country coach, podiatrist, orthopedic surgeon, pro bike fitter, the yogi. Separate but distinct, similar in many ways.

Lesson learned? cycling is fun and even habit forming to a high degree. Forget the "high" and go for the long term benefits.