Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Noiseless freehub? Shimano/

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-19, 08:38 PM
libertarian

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently got myself a Pinarello Gan RS that came with Shimano Ultegra (8000) and Fulcrum Quattro wheels. Not sure which freehub this is, probably a Shimano compatible Fulcrum (and who would actually make these)?
In any case, it is relatively quiet but the sound is uneven (apparently this is not uncommon these days). Not sure if this will go away with more miles m, but I was wondering what options I have for a even more silent freehub? My very old Campa wheels on my previous bike were pretty much silent and I prefer that.
Old 05-06-19, 08:44 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Shimano makes pretty much the quietest hubs, so long as Foss continues to be vaporware. My wife's bike has WH6800 wheels, and they are nearly silent. My emergency-backup wheelset is a Shimano WH-RS500, and they're nearly as quiet. No buzz.
Old 05-06-19, 09:41 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,852 Times in 2,302 Posts
Ah the trendiness of how loud is the ratchet...

Manufacturers will often say that any addition of lube to the ratchet will void warranties. The fear of pawl hang up with thick, and quieter, lube drives this. That said and as said already some brands are louder then others. Sometimes the loudness level changes over the miles with lube bleeding into the ratchet or dirt/grime doing so too. Andy
Old 05-06-19, 10:14 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Ah the trendiness of how loud is the ratchet...

Manufacturers will often say that any addition of lube to the ratchet will void warranties. The fear of pawl hang up with thick, and quieter, lube drives this. That said and as said already some brands are louder then others. Sometimes the loudness level changes over the miles with lube bleeding into the ratchet or dirt/grime doing so too. Andy
Indeed. A Shimano freehub lubed with Phil Tenacious Oil is darn near silent. I haven't had problems with them in cold (but not freezing) weather.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 05-06-19, 11:24 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Glad there’s another people out there who like a quiet freehub. I know Onyx is dead silent and if you have a disc brake bike, Project 321 is decently quiet and low drag. Personally, I love cup and cone hubs with quiet freehubs. But I also like low spoke counts which makes it hard to like Shimano hubs. They’re really doing themselves a disservice by not providing standard 20/24H hubs at the 105/ultegra level.
Old 05-07-19, 06:11 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
I have Shimano hubs on three bikes and the freehubs are nearly dead silent. I lube them with Tri-Flow, which is quite thin, but have had excellent durability with over 55,000 miles on one Dura Ace hub and still going strong. Obviously this lube is thin enough not to cause winter problems.

I have a Campy Chorus rear hub on one bike and it is anything but silent. I tried lubing it with light grease but all that did was make it sticky in the cold and just as loud. I'm surprised the OP found his Campy hub quiet.

I agree with Andy that the current trend among boutique hubs seems to be to make them as obnoxiously loud as possible.

Edit: I just remembered that Shimano used to make (maybe they still do) roller clutch rear hubs that were truly silent. They were used on most Police bikes so officers could approach suspects with no noise to alert them. Amazon still lists the FH-T300 Silent Clutch hub in 7-speed, 130 mm OLD form.

Last edited by HillRider; 05-07-19 at 06:25 AM.
Old 05-07-19, 06:22 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by libertarian
I recently got myself a Pinarello Gan RS that came with Shimano Ultegra (8000) and Fulcrum Quattro wheels. Not sure which freehub this is, probably a Shimano compatible Fulcrum (and who would actually make these)?
In any case, it is relatively quiet but the sound is uneven (apparently this is not uncommon these days). Not sure if this will go away with more miles m, but I was wondering what options I have for a even more silent freehub? My very old Campa wheels on my previous bike were pretty much silent and I prefer that.
Fulcrum wheels are manufactured by Campagnolo
As for silent hubs...there's one option AFAIK. It is blingy. It is beautiful. It is silent. It is durable....but a wee bit heavy (like 270g+450g) grams for the hubset), and not cheap ($600-700USD). There are other options, but they won't get much quieter than Shimano hubs, and lubrication measures don't last long.

https://onyxrp.com/tech/

Not my wheels/hubs, but for IRL sound:

The reason Onyx can be like this--is because there is no ratchet and no pawls. Nothing to actually make clicking noise. They use a sprag clutch, which is a kind of one-way bearing (used in helicopters for example).

Last edited by Marcus_Ti; 05-07-19 at 06:27 AM.
Old 05-07-19, 09:19 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Some Police bikes got silent freehubs to sneak up on suspects ..
Old 05-07-19, 11:13 AM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
30 years ago I had a bike with 6sp Shimano 105 and the rear hub started "freewheeling" in both directions on a cold day. Luckily I wasn't too far from home and some Tri-Flow freed up the pawls.

I like a quiet freewheel/freehub. When I worked at a shop in the early '80s we had a Phil Wood tool for injecting grease into a freewheel. I had a Japanese Bianchi Special at the time and loved that it ran silent.

I have a set of Velo Orange wheels with large flange Grand Cru hubs. Beautiful wheels but that freehub is NOISY!
Old 05-07-19, 11:23 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Perhaps you all are coasting too much. <grin>
Old 05-07-19, 11:27 AM
pressed001
glorified 5954

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 23 Posts
Shimano FH-7700. Practically silent. I love it and wish all hubs were so quiet.
Likes For pressed001:
Old 05-07-19, 11:34 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by libertarian
. . . but I was wondering what options I have for a even more silent freehub? . . .
Search Shimano FH-T300. Don't know if the freehub body can be swapped.
Old 05-07-19, 12:01 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
Go for a ride with someone riding a King hub. Trying to drop them so you lose the racket is good exercise.
Old 05-07-19, 02:34 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
As others have said, Shimano FHs are generally very quite. They even made a one-way-bearing-based freehub some years ago which was actually silent, but had (IIRC) significantly slower engagement... I don't recall what they were trying to achieve, if anything, beyond silence while coasting. I have noticed for many years that aftermarket 'fancy' freewheels/freehubs are much louder than most stock, esp. Shimano, parts.
Old 05-07-19, 03:21 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Go for a ride with someone riding a King hub. Trying to drop them so you lose the racket is good exercise.
Here is a conversation with the man himself. Interesting how he talks about working toward a silent hub, but realizing that wasn't what people wanted.
Well, it's what I want, but obviously not everyone.
Old 05-07-19, 04:00 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
I have the current Ultegra 11sp free hub. It's inaudible on the road, and only slightly audible in the quiet of my workspace.
Old 05-08-19, 09:07 PM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
The new Shimano XTR hubs use "SCYLENCE silent hub technology" (at least when they sort out the bugs..) and this is rumored to be the basis of the next durace hubs which will then most likely filter down the range. My guess is in 10 years all manufacturers will follow and silent hubs will rule the day.
Old 05-08-19, 11:14 PM
pressed001
glorified 5954

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 23 Posts
I have to disagree.

Same concept as fart cans on cars. Idiots and children love loud vehicles even if they are not fast.

Same as Chris King, Maserati has designed a special exhaust system for this market.

I wonder if a Chris King freehub would score someone a hot date in the red light district.
Old 05-09-19, 03:07 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
The new Shimano XTR M9100 freehub concept is similar to Chris King's "RingDrive" in a way that pedalling torque puts more preload on the ratchet mechanism, making it "grip" even better, the harder you push. Which is a good thing for a ratchet mechanism I'd say.

Other mechanisms, often marketed as the better, the more pawls they have are just a marketing gimmick IMO (in the pawl count sense, not that they are all bad), since, because of elastic deformation under load, only one pawl can carry the load at any one time. So it is better to have just one, or two larger pawls, than more smaller ones. For more pawls and wider contact area to carry the load, preload is needed - as both Shimano and Chris King have "discovered".

Shimano made their silent freehub completely disengage when no drive torque is present. I've never paid attention to whether the hub makes a sound or not, except when looking at grown ups' 10 speed bicycles as I was hopelessly trying to catch up on a 16" single speed bike ("these fast ones make a buzzing sound, buzz is cool!").

I agree with pressed001: Chriss King has made a brand of their "Buzz TM" sound, so I'm not sure they will be eager to push towards silence.
Old 05-09-19, 07:08 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I dunno, I hear a lot more clackety hubs than I do quiet ones.

I don't care for the can of bees, but I don't really want absolute silence either. People turn around when they hear the sound. And by people, I mean joggers in the bike lane, walkers on paths, etc. I have hubs of medium buzziness (I reckon) and they can and do serve a purpose.

But like some above, I absolutely don't see an industry switch to silent hubs. People like noise. CK made a cottage industry out of it.
Old 05-09-19, 10:31 AM
Oso Polar

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
My Jamis Renegade Escapade 2018 came with the wheels supposedly equipped with some "Formula alloy Centerlock sealed bearing hubs". Dead silent and I absolutely love this fact! Unfortunately, Jamis doesn't list the exact hub model number used.