Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Singlespeed to mulit-geared bike conversion

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-19, 08:42 AM
knowend9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Has anyone tried to convert a singlespeed bike to a multi-geared bike?

I currently have a 4 wheeled bike that I bought as a project bike. It's a singlespeed Berg Black Edition BFR. (forum won't let me post a pic)

Unfortunately, where I live is really hilly and driving this heavy thing is a real pain.

My ultimately goal is to change the rear wheels from a singlegear bicycle drive train to a multi-gear drive train and replace the two front wheels with electric hub motors.
This is so that I can drive it as a bicycle or as a kind of go kart depending where I am (where I live has some strange laws).

I imagine doing this will take some time and cash so my first goal is to fix the current drive train by adding more gears.

Is something like this possible and if so any ideas about where to start?

Thanks for your help in advance!
Old 05-15-19, 08:55 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
A pedal go-kart is not a bicycle, and questions about conversion, should realistically be directed at Berg. Converting a single speed bicycle to multi-speed however, is as simple as converting multi-speed to single. Your thread title is misleading, and I had to actually look up what machine you were talking about. Maybe someone has experience with these, and can help you, which would be great, but this forum is not really the place to look for help. Not trying to be rude, just don’t understand why you posted this here. Possibly the recumbent sub-forum could be of better help.
Old 05-15-19, 09:08 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Never heard of one. But in looking at the pictures, my first thoughts are a Schlumpf drive on account of the inability to take up chain tension. That would get you a "high" and a "low" with your current set up...assuming you have a standard BSA/English bottom bracket.

If you can swing a derailleur/chain tensioner option, say a claw style, for example, then a mountain bike triple and an E-type derailleur may be an option. You would need to engineer a cable stop though. Ground clearance could be a show stopper.

After that, an internal hub from a tricycle may be an option.

Combining the above can get you many speeds, probably more than you need.

Nothing about your project seems inexpensive.

Edit: It's electric & has a coaster brake. Nevermind.

Last edited by base2; 05-15-19 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-15-19, 09:29 AM
knowend9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info!

Berg sells different options: the first is non-electric single gear, the second is non-electric 3 gears, and the last is 3 gears and electric assist.

Mine is the first one (non-electric single gear). I would just buy the second or third option but I am currently living in South Korea and it is really difficult to buy one here. I bought the current one I have from a guy who ran a bicycle rental shop and was going out of business.

It has a manual hand break for the rear wheels and a coaster break. I don't care about removing the coaster break because I plan on converting the front wheels to electric in the future, so I could always just go in reverse that way. The coaster break doesn't really work as a break at any speed anyway, unless you want to break your ankles!
Old 05-15-19, 10:31 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I had a pedal car as a little kid -- my dad actually built it! Miss that thing, it was so much fun.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-15-19, 05:43 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
I would suggest getting a bicycle which is a two wheeled vehicle powered by your pedaling. Pedal cars are fun for the kids and things like the Rhoads cars are great for multiple people pedaling but not as a tandem but bicycles are way better.
Old 05-15-19, 10:55 PM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Bikes rule. Hence, bikeforums.net.