Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The writing is on the wall with Contador

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-08, 08:41 AM
Matteye

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Contador says Astana assured him he's still team leader despite Armstrong

Associated Press
Updated: September 26, 2008, 9:32 AM ET
Comment
Email
Print
MADRID, Spain -- Alberto Contador said the Astana cycling team made assurances that he'll remain its leader despite the arrival of seven-time Tour de France champion Lance Armstrong.

Contador said he will quit Astana if his position is not secure, adding he's received offers to join other ProTour teams.

"The team has given me guarantees that I will be the leader but I want the fullest guarantees possible," the 2007 Tour de France winner said in Friday editions of sports daily Marca. "[Astana] told me that they want to back me, but I have to see how all this develops. If I'm not happy, I will leave."
Armstrong announced Wednesday he was joining Astana, reuniting him with his friend and former team leader Johan Bruyneel.
Armstrong said Thursday he doesn't expect to be team leader if he's not the best rider, adding that Bruyneel will make that decision.
Contador, who is under contract with Astana until 2010, said he would only stay if he felt the team was riding for him and not Armstrong.
"Everyone knows that Lance has a big personality and he dominates everything," Contador said. "Under no circumstances do I want my sporting aims to be halted by his arrival. I have to see what aims Armstrong has, what his attitude will be and if Bruyneel is counting on him for the Tour."
The Madrid-born rider won the Spanish Vuelta this month, completing the fastest sweep of the three major races. Contador has won the Vuelta, the Tour and the Giro d'Italia in 15 months.
Old 09-26-08, 08:46 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
Can't have two alpha dogs in the same pack.

Old 09-26-08, 08:52 AM
kniprm
Back on the Yam-Yam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send him to Lotto so Cadel can become the new Levi.
Old 09-26-08, 09:05 AM
cslone
Quarq shill

Bikes: 08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
From Johan:

"Al, you can be the leader from January to June and then August to December
Lance, you can be the leader in July.
See, now Al, you are the leader 11 months to Lance's 1. Aren't you happy?"
Old 09-26-08, 09:13 AM
dmb2786

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kniprm
Send him to Lotto so Cadel can become the new Levi.
hahaha evans would have a fit!
Old 09-26-08, 09:16 AM
SKYLAB
Gilpin County Wheelman

Bikes: Parlee Z-4 2001 Fisher Sugar 1 Macalu Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Astana is starting to resemble those leader-less T-Mobile teams where everyone ended up riding for himself.
Old 09-26-08, 09:19 AM
Matteye

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let's be honest here.

Lance is not hinting at all that he thinks he can win an 8th TDf, but come on. Would he really be doing this if that wasn't his "true" goal. He's going to need all the help he can get from the team to do that, so why all the false promises from Astana?
Old 09-26-08, 09:36 AM
crydee

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think Levi is stronger than Contador =) A longer TT in the vuelta or Levi not pulling Contador up the beginning of the Angliru he would of had the time.. And I think Contador is getting a little egotistical.
Old 09-26-08, 09:45 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Completely agree. One will have to go and it won't necessarily be the fastest guy but maybe the fast enough guy to still win the tour with the right team support. For those that don't get it...it isn't about Contador...its about the revenue that LA will bring. The whole thing will be great to see how it plays out.

Last edited by Campag4life; 09-26-08 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-26-08, 09:53 AM
nodnarb757
Toledo Ohio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just imagine how powerful Astana could be if Armstrong rides at say 85% of what he use to do.
Levi and Lance would become the best 1-2 punch as superdomestiques in the world, depending on what happens with the Schlek brothers(many think that Andy may very well be in contention for next years Tour De France, so his days as a domestique may be numbered).
Take the best rider (Contador), add the help of Levi and Lance, and I believe that Astana would be unstoppable.
Old 09-26-08, 09:54 AM
telebianchi

Bikes: 2014/17 Trek Domane 5.2, 2003 Fuji Cross, 2019 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5 Plus, 2012 Raleigh XXIX single-speed, 2017 Access Gravel

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Matteye
Lance is not hinting at all that he thinks he can win an 8th TDf, but come on. Would he really be doing this if that wasn't his "true" goal. He's going to need all the help he can get from the team to do that, so why all the false promises from Astana?
My view of taking things at face value:
I've been a little surprised that in the interviews I have heard and read with Lance he has not put forward that he thinks/knows he can win again. He seems to be pushing the fight against cancer and that he won't know how good a rider he will be next year until after he gets back into training with the team.

My cynical view:
What better way to promote the fight against cancer than by wearing a pretty yellow shirt in Paris?
Old 09-26-08, 09:56 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by telebianchi
My view of taking things at face value:
I've been a little surprised that in the interviews I have heard and read with Lance he has not put forward that he thinks/knows he can win again. He seems to be pushing the fight against cancer and that he won't know how good a rider he will be next year until after he gets back into training with the team.

My cynical view:
What better way to promote the fight against cancer than by wearing a pretty yellow shirt in Paris?
There is only one view of LA and that he is one of the most competitive cyclists who has yet lived. He may not win, but he won't be riding to be just a show pony.
Old 09-26-08, 09:58 AM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a feeling that if Contador goes to another team his new found TT abilities will suddenly disappear and he'll become the next Roberto Heras. I'm just not buying that someone with his build is TT'ing with Levi and Cadel on bread and water.

Last edited by Dubbayoo; 09-26-08 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-26-08, 10:03 AM
Kambei

Bikes: Schwinn Ranger 2.6 FS (cheap), presently looking at road bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't imagine LA not going for the win, but if he's unsuccessful in the races pre-TdF, then perhaps he will pull for Contador.
Old 09-26-08, 10:04 AM
BigSean

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ive been a Contador fan for a few years, but right now he sounds like a spoiled little brat. If he believes he is the best rider in the world then have some confidence and feel secure. Johan is not gonna give up the win. With the team they have they can be stage hunters and tour winners at the same time.
Old 09-26-08, 10:13 AM
tollhousecookie

Bikes: Beach crusier, Specialized FSR mt., retro Raleigh rebuild. Trek Madone 4.5, Schwinn steel frame Frankinstein. BMX rebuild, Specialized rock hopper,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
HATE TO SAY IT, but Contador should get out while the pickins are good for a team that will ALL be behind him. L.A. WILL NOT submit.
Old 09-26-08, 10:20 AM
sagginwagin
Old but slow

Bikes: 3 road 1 mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crydee
I think Levi is stronger than Contador =) A longer TT in the vuelta or Levi not pulling Contador up the beginning of the Angliru he would of had the time.. And I think Contador is getting a little egotistical.
....and Levi has won how many grand tours**********???
Old 09-26-08, 10:22 AM
Thirstyman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
AC is worried because he knows how it works. He rode Levi off the leadership spot in 2007. Johan would do the same thing to AC if Lance is riding better.
Old 09-26-08, 10:31 AM
freeskihp
70mm4$!n!

Bikes: Sworks E5, ritte Bosberg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tollhousecookie
HATE TO SAY IT, but Contador should get out while the pickins are good for a team that will ALL be behind him. L.A. WILL NOT submit.
I COMPLETELY agree with your stance on EMPHASIS. In order to get a reader's attention one must CAPITALIZE VITAL POINTS. This brings great DEPTH to one's WRITING
Old 09-26-08, 10:32 AM
revolator
ROAD enthusiast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Contador wants a 100% guarantee he will be top dog for the TDF, and he's ready to jump to another team that will give him that guarantee.

Lance is going for his 8th TDF, and also isn't doing this to be second anyone else. He won't have the same chance of success on any other team than Astana.

Contador will probably leave, and Levi may benefit from being a standin if Lance doesn't get to mellow johnny form he expects to in July.
Old 09-26-08, 10:33 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Thirstyman
AC is worried because he knows how it works. He rode Levi off the leadership spot in 2007. Johan would do the same thing to AC if Lance is riding better.
This says it all:
Armstrong said Thursday he doesn't expect to be team leader if he's not the best rider, adding that Bruyneel will make that decision.

Of course LA fully expects to be the best rider.
Old 09-26-08, 10:41 AM
Skewer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Matteye
I want the fullest guarantees possible," the 2007 Tour de France winner said in Friday editions of sports daily Marca.
Good for Contador. Astana has already been inconsistent in the way they have responded to the situation. When the rumuor of Lance's return came up during the Vuelta, Bruyneel first responded that he would welcome back Lance with the intention of Lance winning, if I recall correctly. Then during LA's press conference the other day, Lance said he would be coming back as a Co-Leader, if I recall correctly. Now they seem to be backing off that somewhat and assuring Contador he is the leader, but if Lance suddenly starts finding some great form in early June and thinks he would have a chance of winning, I think Bruyneel and Lance would knock Contador out of that leadership role---even if Lance isn't clearly the best rider.

Last edited by Skewer; 09-26-08 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-26-08, 10:46 AM
FlashUNC

Bikes: 2000 Trek 5200, 2007 Bianchi Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Completely ridiculous. Contador has won all three Grand Tours in the last 15 months, is clearly the best Grand Tour rider on the planet right now, and we're talking about him being supplanted by a guy who's been retired for three years?

If I were Contador, I'd tell Bruyneel and company what they can do with their roster spot.
Saxo-Bank might be happy to have Contador along with the Schleck brothers.
Old 09-26-08, 11:01 AM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4077 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 676 Posts
Originally Posted by freeskihp
I COMPLETELY agree with your stance on EMPHASIS. In order to get a reader's attention one must CAPITALIZE VITAL POINTS. This brings great DEPTH to one's WRITING
I am FAIRLY CERTAIN that there are ALTERNATIVE methods of emphasis rather than CAPITALIZATION.
Old 09-26-08, 11:02 AM
revolator
ROAD enthusiast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you read between the lines, that is exactly what Contador is doing. He's not dumb =).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.