Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Which Recumbent Did You Buy & Why?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Which Recumbent Did You Buy & Why?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-16, 05:15 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
Although it was not the first recumbent I bought, I ended up with (and recommend) the Easy Racer family of 'bents. Long wheel base, over seat steering, smaller front tire. Very comfortable. For long rides, I find it much more comfortable than bikes with higher pedal positions. For shorter people, it is easy to stay on the seat and still get both feet on the ground, should you want to do so. While I started with the chromoly frame, I ultimately upgraded to the titanium, but they are all good.
Old 04-13-16, 11:12 AM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Why I picked a Tour Easy

Just look at this Rolls Royce of a bent,

No further explanation needed

Last edited by osco53; 11-29-16 at 06:32 AM.
Old 04-16-16, 12:59 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by osco53
Just look at this Rolls Royce of a bent, No further explanation needed
I'm not sure if your post is a joke or not, but there's no picture.
Old 04-18-16, 05:44 PM
VACaver

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, a MTN bike, and a road bike gathering dust

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bicyclebill1
Curious. Any reason you didn't favor the shop that had one for you to ride with the purchase from them?
The shop is a four hour drive from my house. I originally intended to buy it from them, but since Bacchetta offered a ready to ride bike shipped to your home, it didn't make sense to make an 8 hour round trip. I did ask the Bacchetta guys to take care of the shop owner for letting me test ride his bike and they said they would.
Old 04-18-16, 05:53 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
I'm not sure if your post is a joke or not, but there's no picture.

I forgot the picture,, I fixed It
Old 04-18-16, 09:17 PM
Shahmatt

Bikes: Cruzbike Flamingo folding conversion, Oyama East Village

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a Cruzbike conversion. It is the only bent I have ever owned and tried. I guess because it is a FWD MBB type bike it would be quite different in character compared to conventional RWD bents.

However I like a lot. Not just because it's fast (for me) and comfortable, but also because of the learning experience I've gained from building and riding it.

It is sad that Cruzbike does not sell the conversion kit anymore. The complete bikes are nice, but the kit was a great investment for those who wanted to learn and experiment without having to spend too much.

@ OP. Do consider the FWD MBB format of bents as well. Between RWD and FWD MBB there are pros and cons. Based on forum posts some who try FWD MBB after extensive RWD experience never do get used to it and give it up. But since you are new to bents, it may be worth a shot.
Old 04-19-16, 10:06 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Let's see... I built recumbent trikes in the '80's, bought a P-38 Lightning and rode it through the '90's, bought a Tour Easy and rode it part of the way through the '00's, then bought a Easy Racers Gold Rush in 2008 and have been riding it ever since. It's not superb at any one kind of riding, but it's very good at almost everything short of hard-core off-roading. My wife has one, too, and she won't ride anything else.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 04-20-16, 07:40 PM
Guntrainer

Bikes: Catrike 700

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first Bent was a two wheeled Vision. Pretty bike, but inherently unstable. Went back to DF bike, then developed Arthur in the knees. After a bunch of research, bought a Catrike 700 from Bobby Hanes at Recumbent Bicycles of Tennessee in Murfreesboro. Great guy, great store. He really took care of me, and the Cat is a BEAST on the road. I ride the hilliest part of the Natchez Trace. Eats up hills, eats up DF bikes on the flats. LOL

Easy on the knees, easy on the neck with the neck rest. All kinds of gearing from climbing up the side of a building to barely subsonic flight! Shifts very well, disc brakes are very nice, COMFORTABLE, unexpectedly good ride. Did I mention this thing will fly?
Old 04-20-16, 08:00 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by polyrhythmia
Last year, I took the plunge and got a Cruzbike QX100. Comes with 26-inch wheels, but with disc brakes and a chainring change, could use 20-inch wheels. Liked the simplicity of front wheel drive, and the way the bike can be steered with the feet. Could not find a bike shop anywhere close to try one first, but I really do enjoy riding it.
never saw front wheel drive bike like this, looks really cool. Is there a version that takes a rack in the back, looks like plenty of room for one back there, Wouldn't mind seen how it feels to ride one
Old 04-20-16, 08:03 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 87 Posts
woops , should have just scrolled down . I see the rack option!!
Old 04-20-16, 10:33 PM
polyrhythmia

Bikes: Trek 5600 Carbon road bike, Giant Anyroad Comax gravel bike, Cruzbike QX100

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Cruzbike is offering to arrange trial rides for interested people on their website. I would like to try out the Vendetta or Silvio.
Old 04-23-16, 10:27 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Mrs. Grouch just got a brand new Catrike Trail.

It folds up with just a couple of quick releases so that it will fit alongside one of my recumbent bikes inside of our Honda Element. It was also possible to adjust the trike rack that fits the back of her Saturn to carry her new trike. Even more important, the trike fits her and she's able to get on and off of it easily. It also has a 16 gear inch low gear so she can ride up Jungs Station hill from the Katy Trail to our condo - if her knee doctor ever says it's OK. She's stoked.
Old 04-23-16, 03:38 PM
james_v

Bikes: 2008 Marin Kentfield FS, Sun EZ Sport AX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^^^That sounds good for her!

First and only recumbent so far is my Sun EZ Sport AX. Bought used to see if I liked to ride them. So far so good. Definitely different than any DF bike and easy to ride.

Just started riding both the recumbent and the DF again after a 4 month layoff due to a broken tail bone. I raised the front of the seat by about 1/4" using two spacers and it seems to have made a positive difference in the way the seat fits.
Sure is hard getting the cadence and ride time/miles back.

Last edited by james_v; 04-23-16 at 03:44 PM. Reason: raised seat
Old 04-24-16, 07:34 PM
polyrhythmia

Bikes: Trek 5600 Carbon road bike, Giant Anyroad Comax gravel bike, Cruzbike QX100

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
I have been getting to where I can both coast and ride hands free with my FWD-MBB QX-100 Cruzbike. Just waiting for the chance to keep up with others on the hills.
Old 06-30-16, 12:14 PM
bikingbill

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 26, Brompton

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm on my 2nd Bacchetta. It's a good compromise on speed, comfortable, 'traffic-ability' and cargo capacity.

Old 06-30-16, 01:09 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
OK, I'm going to guess it was 2 weeks ago Tuesday but it might have been 3 weeks. I bought a Catrike 559.

Mrs. Grouch and I were having breakfast at the Bike Stop Cafe in St Charles, MO when another lady casually mentioned 3 different mutual friends who had all had recent bicycle related falls/injuries. I've probably fallen 10 times so far this year and decided it was time for a trike. I wasn't really mentally ready for a tricycle yet but, in retrospect, I'm glad that I made the decision before being driven to it by another injury.

First of all, the fit is fine. I can get down into and up off of the seat with dignity - as long as the trike isn't on an upgrade, then I have to make a U-turn before getting up. Watch enough trike riders and you'll see what I mean. One company even markets an accessory to make rising out of the seat easier. At rest stops I usually stay seated because it's the most comfortable place to be. Fits our car too. The 559 and Mrs. Grouch's Catrike will both fit inside of our Honda Element. Fold them both up, flop them on their sides, and they'll go with plenty of room for all our other stuff.

The 559 is adequately fast. On my first ride I gave it a little sprint up to 22 MPH. I wouldn't have been able to hold that for very long but that's as fast, or faster than I was able to ride previously so I'm happy. Downhill stability and cornering are good too. I've taken the curve coming down Jungs Station hill at 28 MPH. Might not be fast by road bike standards but for the kind of riding that I do that's plenty fast.

I'm gradually overcoming my safety-related fears. I don't feel secure with 2 wheel recumbents at intersections because it's hard to check cross traffic without coming to a complete stop and putting a foot down. Restarts afterward are a pain. On group rides I was constantly falling behind and having to catch up. For that matter, I never felt secure riding 2 wheel recumbents in close proximity with other riders. The trike feels much more stable and secure. I still have to stop the trike to check cross traffic but I don't have to clip out and put a foot down. I also bought a fancy spinner safety flag to use on the street and I've gotten several favorable comments about it so people obviously notice it. I haven't done very much road riding yet, but I'm definitely feeling better about doing a little more. Haven't done any urban riding at all yet, that'll have to wait till later.

I didn't think that I would be this happy riding a trike because it wasn't macho enough for me. Now that I've made the choice, I'm very glad that I did. I'm recapturing the carefree joy that brought me to bicycling in the first place.

Last edited by Retro Grouch; 06-30-16 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-30-16, 07:23 PM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a Bacchetta Strada. I like a SWB bike, but had I it to do over again , I'd go with a bent that had a smaller 20 inch wheel in front . I've never ridden a under seat steering system, but occasionally fantasize about HP Velotechnique's Street Machine . It looks so comfortable .
Old 07-21-16, 06:21 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 107 Posts
A bought an Optima Baron LowRacer used from a guy in Chicago.

I did some research into bents and speed. Everything pointed to lowracers (though since then, plenty of highracers seems faster and more available). I wanted a bent that was both fast and comfortable. Having never ridden bents, other than a single session with Bike E, I went out an purchased it. After a few months of developing my bent legs, I was easily 2mph faster than with my road bike. And I chafe up far less (actually never on my bent).

The Baron isn't without its issues. The 20" front tire is easily popped with using thin conti GPs, such as larger transitions from sidewalk to street, or potholes. The rear derailleur always seems to have its own agenda. Hills suck. But, I overlook these problems because its so incredible to see the countryside fly by at 20mph+.
Old 07-21-16, 08:58 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by friday1970
The Baron isn't without its issues. The 20" front tire is easily popped with using thin conti GPs, such as larger transitions from sidewalk to street, or potholes. The rear derailleur always seems to have its own agenda. Hills suck. But, I overlook these problems because its so incredible to see the countryside fly by at 20mph+.
The Baron can easily take a 20x1.37 Primo Comet. If you want, you can pair it with a 26x1.25 Primo Racer and they'll visually match pretty well. And Primos are one of the faster tires you can get. I never liked the Conti GP, too fragile. I'm currently running a Durano. It's slower than a GP or a Comet but lasts forever. I've heard good things about Schwalbe One but have no direct experience.
Old 07-21-16, 10:14 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
The Baron can easily take a 20x1.37 Primo Comet. If you want, you can pair it with a 26x1.25 Primo Racer and they'll visually match pretty well. And Primos are one of the faster tires you can get. I never liked the Conti GP, too fragile. I'm currently running a Durano. It's slower than a GP or a Comet but lasts forever. I've heard good things about Schwalbe One but have no direct experience.
I have one of Primos already. I swap it out with my Kojak 1.35 tire every now and then, depending on if my planned route is really bumpy or not. I will use it for OHR next year. I tried the 20x1.5 Primo comet and that rubbed against the right side of my fork. This also leads me to believe that the 20x1.5 Shredda would not work either (I would love to have that tire!).
I might get one of the Compass 26x1.25 Elk tires. I'm a little concerned that the price might not match the performance. With my new Velocity A23 wheels, I run GPs on them. But this makes for a harsh ride. I'm thinking the Compass would soften it up a bit and provide the same speed.
My tires would be missed matched (primo up front, compass in back), but it would be comfy ride.