Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I'm Tired of Getting Flat Tires :(

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I'm Tired of Getting Flat Tires :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-21, 11:48 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I fully expect to wear my GP5000's out before I get a flat. So far there is over 3000 miles on the current set.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-12-21, 11:50 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Just to check, are you using the same tire when you ride indoors? Tires get worn VERY QUICKLY on a trainer, and they will look clean and smooth so you might not notice the wear. That would make the rubber thin and more prone to punctures when you do get outside. Most people who ride a lot indoors get a separate (cheap) rear wheel with a dedicated trainer tire (they actually make super thick tires for this purpose) so they don't wear out their expensive tire so quickly. If you already use a different tire on the trainer, ignore this paragraph.

Also, add my support for the comments on tire pressure. I saw far fewer flats once I learned the optimum pressure for my weight and tire combination. If you're getting pinch flats (two holes right next to each other), you probably need to increase pressure (or stop riding so hard over sharp bumps). If you're getting frequent punctures, you might need to reduce pressure. Of course, avoiding debris will also help.
Old 03-12-21, 12:05 PM
Spiduhman

Bikes: S2, Wilier GTR (Arr), Giant VT, Myata 3-10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Started 2021 with three flats in two rides.
:|
Good since then, excepting

Helps t'not run ober stuff...

Bein' retired, I no longer "have to" ride in the dark, nor in low light - biggest difference in flat prevention - after moving away from goat head land...
Old 03-12-21, 01:51 PM
Tom L

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
it is amazing that a screw or a nail can stand up and puncture a tire , just running over it,
if you tried to do that it would never happen, it just amazes me that a screw or nail can do that
and who puts them all in the road, I can't think of a single time that I dropped a nail out of a truck
or lost a box of nails . just crazy
Old 03-12-21, 02:27 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
My 5K were worn to the threads and never had a flat.
Old 03-12-21, 03:09 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by phrantic09
My 5K were worn to the threads and never had a flat.
Tubed?

If I could average 1k miles per flat, I don't think I would have gone tubeless.
Old 03-12-21, 03:12 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Tubed?

If I could average 1k miles per flat, I don't think I would have gone tubeless.
Tubeless. I'll stay tubeless regardless of puncture frequency since I'm riding rim brake carbon clinchers. Not flatting after a puncture yesterday bakes it all worth the extra hassle.
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 03-12-21, 03:16 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by phrantic09
Tubeless. I'll stay tubeless regardless of puncture frequency since I'm riding rim brake carbon clinchers. Not flatting after a puncture yesterday bakes it all worth the extra hassle.
Okay, gotcha. Yeah, on tubeless, I get punctures all the time, but it's unusual that I'll get an actual flat before a tire is worn out, which was a revelation coming from my previous flat frequency.
Old 03-12-21, 03:22 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom L
it is amazing that a screw or a nail can stand up and puncture a tire , just running over it,
if you tried to do that it would never happen, it just amazes me that a screw or nail can do that
and who puts them all in the road, I can't think of a single time that I dropped a nail out of a truck
or lost a box of nails . just crazy
On a group ride and one of the other riders got a bent nail through the tread and out the sidewall. It actually nicked the side of the rim.
Old 03-12-21, 04:48 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
That was me a year and a half ago. Tired of so many flats. I got Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires, which have greatly reduced (but not eliminated) flats. I've seen criticisms of those tires here on the forums, but I like them and flats are rare. (Two flats last year. Once I ran over a block of wood and another time I ran over a metal plate, both road debris that I didn't see in time.)
Likes For Random11:
Old 03-12-21, 07:52 PM
drsmoooth

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by guachi
I'm just here to vent.

Spend most of my time riding indoors so at least I don't get a flat doing that. But in my last 99.5 hours of riding outside on the road I've had five flats or one flat every 20 hours of riding. This seems excessive. After flat #4 I made the mistake of getting a GP5000 to replace the stock Bontrager tire that had a gash in it. It was a pain to install and a pain to take off after the inevitable flat #5 today.

Anyone have worse luck?

/End Vent

In the last 15 months, I have had 2 flats and the flats were just about a year apart. I run Continental Ultra Sport 3s. Most of my riding is on paved bike trails that are maintained daily.
The difference could be, I do very little riding on the streets.
Old 03-12-21, 07:53 PM
drsmoooth

Liked 58 Times in 25 Posts
Wow! Running over a blade.
Old 03-12-21, 09:31 PM
Spiduhman

Bikes: S2, Wilier GTR (Arr), Giant VT, Myata 3-10

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Riding into the sunset.
The other fun one was an industrial razor blade.

A good trick with nails, screws, bits o' f, staples, etc., is to kick them up a bit with the front wheel so they meet the rear tire at the peeerfect angle.
Old 03-13-21, 10:06 AM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
Also, check to make sure the inside of your rim isn't damaged and that your rim tape hasn't shifted. You will know if you have these issues if the flats occur on the non-road side of the tubes.
Check the inside of your tire too. Carefully run your finger all the way around the tire and check for little bits of debris lodged in the tread.

Dave
Likes For bonsai171:
Old 03-13-21, 10:19 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 928 Times in 541 Posts
Last week I changed out my Conti 4000sii 700x28 for the Conti 4-Season 700x32. The 4000's seemed to be getting cut-up quite a lot. No punctures, just showing a lot of gashes. The 4-Seasons are definitely not as supply or as responsive but the rubber compound seems more durable. I'm 188, 5'11 and . I'm experimenting at 90-95 psi which seems a little high and I'm going to be dropping it down to the 80-85 range on the next few rides. My Trek FX carries a lot of spares, fenders, rack etc. so the overall weight sometimes calls for a bit more PSI.
Old 03-15-21, 11:30 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Like others mentioned with that many flats are you reinflating the flatted tire and checking where thr flat occurred? I'd be suspicious it's not coming from the road.

Possible causes:
- Something inside the rim causing flats. Usually new rim tape fixes it, rarely a new wheel is required. You can tell because the source of the flat is on the inside of the tube.
- Leak around the stem - your pump is yanking to hard on the stem when you take it off (need a new pump or lubricate the head on the current one), or you have a batch of bad tubes that all have the same defect around the stem.
- Leak always happens in same place on tube - something like a nail gets stuck in the tube and causes the same puncture over and over again.
- Tire is old (worn out tires flat constantly) or something else wore it down (maybe a trainer wore it out faster).
- You live somewhere with particularly flat-prone conditions (like goatheads) and just need a more flat resistant tire.

The first step is to take the tube off and add air to it and see where the flat is happening. If it's the same spot over and over...
Likes For PaulRivers:
Old 03-15-21, 11:49 AM
drbarney1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
I was getting flat tires from the spoke nuts even with carefully installed rubber gasket covering them. I solved this problem not by attempting the futility of trying to make the gasket system work but by replacing the wire wheels with spokeless mag wheels on ebay.
Old 03-15-21, 12:05 PM
jonboehm

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized Armadillo - Only thing I've tried that works. I get over 4000 miles on a tire. I still get flats but they are rarer, usually near tire end of life. Flats are especially bad in the early spring. Rains push road gravel and radial tire wires into the bike lane. I'll get 4 flats in a week then none for months.

Gatorskin are cheaper and good enough for a front tire but not good enough for a back tire.

Stats - 205lb, 6ft 700x28. I bike for exercise not for sport so I'm not interested in the lightest components but emphasis long lasting.

Last edited by jonboehm; 03-15-21 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-15-21, 12:15 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Buy two new tubes with removable valve cores. Buy a 2oz bottle of Stan's sealant. Mount new tubes and squirt half a bottle in each. Thank me later.
Old 03-15-21, 12:22 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Lazyass
Buy two new tubes with removable valve cores. Buy a 2oz bottle of Stan's sealant. Mount new tubes and squirt half a bottle in each. Thank me later.
It seems like the majority of the complaints about the ineffectiveness of road tubeless comes from the use of Stan's. Does it work any better inside of a tube?
Old 03-15-21, 12:57 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
It seems like the majority of the complaints about the ineffectiveness of road tubeless comes from the use of Stan's. Does it work any better inside of a tube?
I tried Stan's last year in a couple of tubes on my road bike. It didn't work, or at least by the time it sealed the tire wasn't ridable. But it did make finding the puncture easier, as there was a huge mess between the tube and the tire in the general area of the puncture.
Old 03-15-21, 01:06 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by RGMN
I tried Stan's last year in a couple of tubes on my road bike. It didn't work, or at least by the time it sealed the tire wasn't ridable. But it did make finding the puncture easier, as there was a huge mess between the tube and the tire in the general area of the puncture.
Old 03-15-21, 01:12 PM
biketube guy

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Regarding the difficulty getting the new tire on/off: Brand new tires are always more difficult than ones that have been taken on/off a few times. Is it possible you bought the Conti GP5000 TL by mistake? The TL version is for tubeless, and so it is significantly heavier, less supple, and more difficult to get on/off than the "clincher" version (made for tubes). Most tubeless tires are also impossible to seat properly on the rim with a mini pump. If you're using tubes, avoid tubeless tires like the plague.
Old 03-15-21, 01:13 PM
biketube guy

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Regarding the difficulty getting the new tire on/off: Brand new tires are always more difficult than ones that have been taken on/off a few times. Is it possible you bought the Conti GP5000 TL by mistake? The TL version is for tubeless, and so it is significantly heavier, less supple, and more difficult to get on/off than the "clincher" version (made for tubes). Most tubeless tires are also impossible to seat properly on the rim with a mini pump. If you're using tubes, avoid tubeless tires like the plague.
Old 03-15-21, 04:25 PM
guachi

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
It's definitely the clincher GP5000. Also, I took the tire off to check the rim tape and didn't notice anything unusual. The last three rides, since it's been really nice outside, were fine though I inflated the rear tire to 90 psi. More road buzz on the chip seal.

And for the person who asked, my indoor riding is on a smart trainer so there's no rear tire involved and it's also a different bike as it's one my wife and I can both ride.

On the plus side, I'm getting a new bike in about 9-10 weeks. I wanted 32mm tires but that would have added weeks to the shipping time so it's coming with 28mm tires and the shop will not mount them, credit me, and put on Continental 32mm All Seasons (thanks for the recommendations) and I can keep a set of GP5000s for the few times I really care about how fast I ride.

I could just be unlucky. In an 18 month stretch I got 10 flats on my car, all in the right rear tire. I ran over all sorts of stuff and managed to run over three screws over a period of a few months in the same small area of the tire and had to replace it as it couldn't be patched any more.

I appreciate all the actual help as really I just wanted to complain and didn't expect real advice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.