Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What happens if you exceed your (theoretical) maximum heart rate

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-13, 03:31 PM
lookinUp
Old Woman on a Catrike

Bikes: Catrike 5.5.9., Trek Madone 5.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not looking for medical advice, but just curious about the maximum heart rate. My calculated max rate should be 148 (I'm old, that's why it is low), however, on a ride a few days ago, I was around 156 according to my Garmin 500 and heart rate monitor.

So here's my question. Say you're reached your maximum HR - what happens if you keep on pedaling. Do you finally run out of breath? Do the legs finally give out? What physical issue will finally cause you to quit? (other than passing out )

There is a hill that I can barely climb that I know will push my heart rate about as high as it can possibly go. I haven't worn the heart rate monitor on it yet, but will be curious how high the HR ends up being. I can make it over this hill, but wondered what happens if I tackle an even steeper/longer hill.
Old 01-18-13, 03:40 PM
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lookinUp
Not looking for medical advice, but just curious about the maximum heart rate. My calculated max rate should be 148 (I'm old, that's why it is low), however, on a ride a few days ago, I was around 156 according to my Garmin 500 and heart rate monitor.

So here's my question. Say you're reached your maximum HR - what happens if you keep on pedaling. Do you finally run out of breath? Do the legs finally give out? What physical issue will finally cause you to quit? (other than passing out )

There is a hill that I can barely climb that I know will push my heart rate about as high as it can possibly go. I haven't worn the heart rate monitor on it yet, but will be curious how high the HR ends up being. I can make it over this hill, but wondered what happens if I tackle an even steeper/longer hill.
Here's what will happen: you will be out of breath, heart pounding, maybe dizzy. That happens when you exercise real hard. The theoretical maximum heart rate formula is thoroughly discredited. Occasionally someone will defend it as a viable average, but even that is very dubious. Unless you have a specific heart condition or other problem, most medical authorities would tell you to go for it. I am 66 and have frequently exceeded my "maximum" heart rate and plan to continue doing so. Didn't bother my cardiologist one bit when I went for a checkup. he said, "Great, no need to give you a stress test!" Doesn't bother my personal trainer, either.

Don in Austin
Old 01-18-13, 04:00 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Theoretical is vague but actual can cause a problem. I had my max determined by a stress test many years ago and it was 165. At that I was shaking like a Leaf- lost energy very quickly and could barely breath. This was under medical supervision a year after a bypass and the medic knew I was ready to pass out and stopped me just before I did.

For a few years after this I could exceed my max but at 172 it was get off the bike and lie down before I fall down time.

But like all else- use it or lose it. I struggle to get to 150 now and it is my brain that tells me to slow down. Bit more training and I should be able to see 160 again but I won't be going near my max as often as I used to. Thank goodness-Scary.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-18-13, 04:35 PM
t4mv
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
For a few years after this I could exceed my max but at 172 it was get off the bike and lie down before I fall down time.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one in that boat. Back when I was 30something, I was messing with an HRM and had done the basic calculation for my (then) max HR, which I think was in the high 190somethings. So I was hoofing it up a hill and watched the HR climb til it cleared the threshold and it started to blink (it's programmable). So I went at almost-full gas for a bit until the hill gradient backed off a bit and I dialed it back a bit, but I guess it was warm enough that I started getting the I-don't-feel-so-good feeling whereupon I decided to just stop, even though I knew what was going to happen. Sure enough, the blood rushed from the head (where does it all go?) and I knew I had to lie down on the road, head below feet to get that Ahhhhh feeling. It was all worth it because shortly thereafter a guy driving the other way stopped and asked if I was OK.
Old 01-18-13, 04:53 PM
Trek51

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 4, 2010 Trek 4300, 2003Trek 7500

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to disagree but if you can get your heart rate up to 172 then 165 is not your maximum, 172 is.
Old 01-18-13, 04:56 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by jmehalick
Sorry to disagree but if you can get your heart rate up to 172 then 165 is not your maximum, 172 is.
This.

When I hit max rate, I contemplate blowing chow.

Old 01-18-13, 04:59 PM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
You don't explode?
Old 01-18-13, 05:03 PM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, this is more medical but: when your heart beats really rapidly then it is not able to get the ventricles completely filled with blood before the next beat -- so the result is decreased perfusion.
Old 01-18-13, 05:12 PM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
This.

This
Old 01-18-13, 05:15 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
In my case it is simple. 5 years ago I Followed the formula and figured my Max HR was 163. But after a year or two a climbing sprint would push me to 172 so I figured that was my max HR. There are times today when I have pushed it to 181 and now consider that my max HR. But this time I am pretty sure 181-182 is my max HR because 183 causes me to get off the bike a hurl chunks. So my non medical opinion is your max HR is just below your have to stop and hurl point.
Old 01-18-13, 05:24 PM
Wil Davis
Curmudgeon

Bikes: (see https://wildavis.smugmug.com/Bikes) Bianchi Veloce (2005), Nishiki Cascade (1992), Schwinn Super Sport (1983)

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Be warned!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXH_12QWWg8

- Wil
Old 01-18-13, 05:38 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 258 Posts
Back in my youth (high school swim team), we'd check our heart rates, and mine routinely went over 230! According to these 'max rate' calculators, I should have been dead of a heart attack 37 years ago!

Today (well yesterday actually at the Dr's office) my BP was 118/73 and a resting pulse rate of 58. I guess I'll be around a while longer!
Old 01-18-13, 05:50 PM
mrt2you

Bikes: trek 720 multitrack hybred, 92 trek 2300, 2010 specialized roubaix, 2014 specialized roubaix

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
51yo 5' 10" 220lbs i have been wearing a chest strap heart rate monitor for the last 3 years, cateye V3 wireless.
when i get to 160 and keep it there for over 15 min my toes start to go numb.
above 170 my fingers start to go numb.
180 and above i get a massive head ache.
if i slow down to drop my HR to 140 and below the numbness goes away.
Old 01-18-13, 07:27 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I no longer go to my max ... probably cowardice and laziness come into the equation

My son is a semi-pro soccer player and is training to be a coach. We have lots of interesting discussions trying to work out where my stupid body does and doesn't fit in with his experience and what he's learning. My understanding is that as your body needs more fuel, the heart pumps harder to supply it. Typically, you'll bury yourself in the anaerobic zone and then start to climb out of it. You do however, reach a point where your heart can't keep up the supply and at this point, your heart rate will suddenly increase. THAT's the time to stop because you aren't gaining anything going on.

Now, a serious question that I haven't put to my boy ... or my fiancee ( who's a nurse) on the grounds that I already give them enough reason to worry. After burying myself in the anaerobic zone for a bit, it's not unusual for my skin to develop a tingly feeling. Obviously, it's the blood feeding my muscles, not my skin however, should I be treating this as another warning and stop?
Old 01-18-13, 07:49 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac
Sorry, this is more medical but: when your heart beats really rapidly then it is not able to get the ventricles completely filled with blood before the next beat -- so the result is decreased perfusion.
In fluid dynamics, I think they call that cavitation.
Old 01-18-13, 07:57 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
In diesel engines, cavitation eats through your cylinder walls.
Old 01-18-13, 08:01 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
In diesel engines, cavitation eats through your cylinder walls.
Yes it does. That's why they put a de-aeration line there.
Old 01-18-13, 08:13 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by lookinUp
... on a ride a few days ago, I was around 156 ...So here's my question. Say you're reached your maximum HR - what happens if you keep on pedaling. Do you finally run out of breath?...
Snipped for brevity.

The formula (any formula) is untrustworthy for any individual's maximum heart rate. It is often higher or lower, sometimes considerably so.

If you exceed you maximum heart rate, that's a heart attack. But if you reach your max and keep pedaling, you'll pedal more slowly gasping for air and might start feeling faint.
Old 01-18-13, 08:14 PM
k7baixo

Bikes: Bacchetta CA2.0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
At 175, I found that i was getting a little dizzy. That was enough to send me to a cardiologist and endure a battery of tests that ultimately confirmed that I'm in great shape. The only warning was to not push myself so hard ie stay below 165-170. It was worth it to learn that I'm healthy considering that arteriosclerosis and heart disease runs rampant in my family. I have neither and I attribute it all to exercise and cycling.
Old 01-18-13, 09:29 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Last summer my pulse rate hit 186 on a few occasions. At 55yrs of age it isnt difficult to see I'm a few over the advertised. Heat can send the pulse up and that will get me off the quickly looking for shade and a faucet to drench my head. Otherwise, in a hill sprint (strava) when 186bpm hits I'm at the top of the hill due to pacing. However, breathing is far too heavy to continue and I'm pulling over. I dont exceed 186.
Old 01-18-13, 10:14 PM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My theoretical max HR is below my LT HR. lol My calculated max HR is 165, my actual max from observation is 192. That's a pretty big difference.
Old 01-18-13, 10:35 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
I thought having a cavitation was talking with Dick Cavett.
Old 01-19-13, 01:15 AM
TacomaSailor

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix road bike, Stumpjumper Comp hardtail, Trance X2 FS mountainbike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My AGE related calculated max HR is 162 (Karvonen) - I comfortably ride at 162 for long climbs in cool weather

Some days I can ride at 175 for extended periods

I have had many treadmill stress tests in the last 25 years - my first cardiologist was a very serious and fast runner who I knew from trail runs. He always told me that a heart that is used to stress will not have any problem with more stress.

My current cardiologist told me after my last stress test that I might die from many things but over revving my heart would never be one of them. He assured me that a heart that was used to working hard for long periods of time would not have any problem with working even harder.

They both told me my lungs and 02 intake would be the limiting factor for my heart rate. Eventually I would just not be able to breath enough to keep up with my heart.

Going on 66, over weight, out of breath, and I am still trying to see how fast my heart can beat - just keep pushing!
Old 01-19-13, 01:53 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jmehalick
1 year after a bypass and stress test showed max of 165. Bit of training and I could get to 165 without passing out. Perhaps my max had raised to 172 with training but at 165 I knew it and I had to have a very good reason to push myself that hard and beyond--but it can be done on very rare occasions.

Edit---COULD be done on rare occasions- I am nowhere near the 165 now but back in harder training to get near it again.

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 01-19-13 at 01:57 AM.
Old 01-19-13, 02:15 AM
akohekohe
The Professor

Bikes: Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT, AZUB TiFly

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
You can't exceed your maximum heart rate but you can reach your minimum heart rate by trying to exceed your maximum heart rate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.