Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2014!! How was your commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2014!! How was your commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-14, 07:04 AM
the_tool_man

Bikes: 1983 Fuji Touring Series IV, Masi Volumetrica 3VC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I got buzzed by a car again today. It always happens in the same place; a particularly twisty, narrow, uphill stretch, about a half mile long. I've tried taking the lane, but the traffic volume has increased to the point that this not practical. I get passed anyway, even with oncoming traffic. This close call was the closest one yet, with probably only a few inches between my left handlebar and their mirror. There are no other routes I can safely take that avoid this particular stretch. There is room on the opposite side of the road to walk the bike on the grass shoulder. So I guess I'll try that next. I hate it, because it feels like giving up. But I don't want to get run over.
Old 05-14-14, 08:16 AM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
No commute this morning ... first day this week I've driven. My daughter has a softball game tonight I have to get to.

However ... on my ride home last night, I added a couple of miles and took the scenic route near the lake shore downtown by the art museum. It's fairly busy at times, but yesterday wasn't too bad. So I'm riding, fairly leisurely, but not slow, and I'm coming up on two riders, riding two up and not single file. A roadie in full kit passes them maybe 2 or 3 minutes before me. One, the girl, is in workout clothing, the other, a guy, is wearing khakis and riding a comfort bike of some sort. The path is wide enough so I start to swing out to the left to pass them both, and at the same time khaki boy decides they've gone far enough and turns left abruptly to make a u-turn in front of me. I hit the brakes and call out "heads up" and he apologizes, says, "I didn't think anyone else was on here," and I pass on the right while the girl says, "Sorry, we're a little ******** (the R word)."

You JUST got passed by a guy riding faster than me, AND you're riding on a bike path ... you didn't think anyone else was on here??? SMH
Old 05-14-14, 09:09 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Nice ride in this morning with sun, a slight breeze and 7C/45F temps with a forecast for sun and 16C/61F temps for the ride home.
Old 05-14-14, 10:24 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
50's and raining, seems to be the forecast for the next few days. I got a late start because I wanted to see my son off. He left today on his bicycle heading for California. While I envy his youthful energy and enthusiasm, as a dad I'm kinda freaking out! If any of you west of Indiana see him be sure to say hey - thanks!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
eli adventure.jpg (94.3 KB, 14 views)
Old 05-14-14, 10:28 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by arsprod
50's and raining, seems to be the forecast for the next few days. I got a late start because I wanted to see my son off. He left today on his bicycle heading for California. While I envy his youthful energy and enthusiasm, as a dad I'm kinda freaking out! If any of you west of Indiana see him be sure to say hey - thanks!

What part(s) of California is he heading for? I'll keep an eye out.
Old 05-14-14, 10:31 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by RaleighSport
What part(s) of California is he heading for? I'll keep an eye out.
Who knows! His plan (and I use the term loosely) is to head towards Portland then down to San Francisco then back east. If he makes it that far I'm going to meet him in Portland
Old 05-14-14, 10:41 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Going to be hot today.
Old 05-14-14, 11:09 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by arsprod
Who knows! His plan (and I use the term loosely) is to head towards Portland then down to San Francisco then back east. If he makes it that far I'm going to meet him in Portland
Well if he makes it to SF he's gotta go right by my stomping grounds. I wish him the best of luck with his improv touring!
Old 05-14-14, 11:45 AM
AlTheKiller

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
First time with my new riding partner, jack Brown....

Holy hell, smooth as butter, and so confidence inspiring in the turns.
Old 05-14-14, 12:08 PM
motoboy

Bikes: BD CX commuter, 80's Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know what you mean. I have to ride the stretch of 101 around the GSP airport and the only way to do it without getting smeared is to walk in the grass or ride in the center non-lane. Those BMW employees are a bunch of nutbars.

Originally Posted by the_tool_man
I got buzzed by a car again today. It always happens in the same place; a particularly twisty, narrow, uphill stretch, about a half mile long. I've tried taking the lane, but the traffic volume has increased to the point that this not practical. I get passed anyway, even with oncoming traffic. This close call was the closest one yet, with probably only a few inches between my left handlebar and their mirror. There are no other routes I can safely take that avoid this particular stretch. There is room on the opposite side of the road to walk the bike on the grass shoulder. So I guess I'll try that next. I hate it, because it feels like giving up. But I don't want to get run over.
Old 05-14-14, 12:11 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Alright! After missing the entire first week of May commuting while waiting on a new BB, I got back into it for a full week (Tues/Thurs both days) last week. The LBS really took care of me getting that BB installed, after attempting and failing to get it in myself due to the frame threads being tweaked slightly. I've replaced the BB on my wife's bike before and it was cake. Oh well, LBS only charged me 15 bucks for the thread chase and BB install.

Last week's commutes were pretty uneventful as I recall. Although last Thursday morning I had dogs barking and running out to chase me at THREE different locations along my route, some of them with the owners yelling and chasing after them! I swear one of these dogs will get run over one of these days!

Yesterday morning there was forecast of rain. I threw the fenders on and set out, and it was cloudy and humid as all get out, but no rain. Got rain during the day, and then only a couple of sprinkles most of the way home. But then about 1 1/2 miles from home it opened up and I still got soaked anyway by the time I got home. Still a good ride, though, temps in the 70's all day.

Cold front today, and tomorrow should barely make it to 70 degrees.
Old 05-14-14, 12:15 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

You said narrow, I'm guessing that's a 2-lane road with no shoulder? I have to ride on LOTS of those on my commute.
Old 05-14-14, 12:24 PM
the_tool_man

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
You said narrow, I'm guessing that's a 2-lane road with no shoulder? I have to ride on LOTS of those on my commute.
Yup. Rather than hijack this thread, you can go here for more details and pics:

https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/...ng-buzzed.html

Nearly my entire route is narrow two-lane roads. But almost all of it is relatively straight and level, with plenty of grass shoulder. I can take the lane for blind crests and curves, as needed. But this case is too long for me to stay in the lane, and both uphill and curved, and overgrown, with one bad shoulder and one worse one.
Old 05-14-14, 12:29 PM
the_tool_man

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by motoboy
I know what you mean. I have to ride the stretch of 101 around the GSP airport and the only way to do it without getting smeared is to walk in the grass or ride in the center non-lane. Those BMW employees are a bunch of nutbars.
Wow. I wouldn't think about riding 101 near rush hour. It's bad enough later in the evening when I ride with the group out of Greer. We use about 1/4 mile of 101; downhill, no less. And every time I'm afraid one of us is going to get hit. Be careful out there.
Old 05-14-14, 12:39 PM
motoboy

Bikes: BD CX commuter, 80's Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eh, at 6:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. the middle lane, while illegal, is pretty safe. There are no places to turn so I have it all to myself. Once I cross 80 in the afternoon, however, there is a hairy 1/2 mile sprint to get to the first parallel road.

Wow. I wouldn't think about riding 101 near rush hour. It's bad enough later in the evening when I ride with the group out of Greer. We use about 1/4 mile of 101; downhill, no less. And every time I'm afraid one of us is going to get hit. Be careful out there.
Old 05-14-14, 02:22 PM
the_tool_man

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by motoboy
Eh, at 6:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. the middle lane, while illegal, is pretty safe. There are no places to turn so I have it all to myself. Once I cross 80 in the afternoon, however, there is a hairy 1/2 mile sprint to get to the first parallel road.
It's uphill, too.
Old 05-14-14, 03:08 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Big storms headed this way from the south and west - weather underground expects the rainstorm at 6. Looking at the radar and satellite maps I don't really see more than maybe a light rain before 6:30. My commute is south and takes around 30 minutes, so I'm thinking I'll wait till the last minute at 5:30 or 5:45 and race the weather. This is the version of Commuter Racing that I really like, testing not just how fast you can go but also your judgment and, if you're too slow or you're wrong, can you handle the elements.

Last week I got soaked by a deluge, 1.5 miles from home. I'm hoping to do better this time.

ps, I made it before 6 AND no storm yet!

Last edited by wphamilton; 05-14-14 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-14-14, 03:57 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also enjoy running from storms, though we do not get them here in BC the same as eastern parts of the country.

I felt really bad this summer driving from Drumheller, Alberta to Calgary. We decided not to camp in the bad lands due to huge storms roling in. But we hit them with the car (and trailer, and bikes and roof box and worldly possesion, and cats). It was intense wind and rain, the wind was so strong that I could not get my car over 70 km/h with a head wind. The part that made me feel bad was driving by a guy on his bike who looked like a drowned rat. He was touring and fully loaded and walking into the wind (no chance of pedalling). Wife and I debated stopping. We only had room for his bike on the trailer. But not a seat to spare, nor panniers and luggage. I still feel bad and hope he did okay, it was a big storm and we saw him pretty early on.
Old 05-14-14, 04:17 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
My first ride in this week. Mmm, warm, dry, and I can almost see when I head out. Sandals! I have tomorrow off but I'm looking forward to doing it again on Friday.
Old 05-14-14, 05:01 PM
PatrickGSR94

Originally Posted by wphamilton
Big storms headed this way from the south and west - weather underground expects the rainstorm at 6. Looking at the radar and satellite maps I don't really see more than maybe a light rain before 6:30. My commute is south and takes around 30 minutes, so I'm thinking I'll wait till the last minute at 5:30 or 5:45 and race the weather. This is the version of Commuter Racing that I really like, testing not just how fast you can go but also your judgment and, if you're too slow or you're wrong, can you handle the elements.

Last week I got soaked by a deluge, 1.5 miles from home. I'm hoping to do better this time.

ps, I made it before 6 AND no storm yet!
haha that happened to me one morning last summer heading into work. There were these huge, ominous clouds chasing me down from behind. When I got to work I looked at the radar and it showed this "notch" of no rain where I had been riding. Within minutes after arriving the sky literally opened up.
Old 05-14-14, 08:23 PM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Beautiful morning. Sunny and 10C, low winds. Started chasing a guy up a hill...then he saw me...then he buried me. I caught up with him at a red light and he thanked me for the push. We rode together for a bit after that and chatted.

In the afternoon, I rode to my kid's preschool for a delightful little spring program. Rode in my work clothes so I would be presentable, but left work a bit late and ended up a sweaty mess. Oh well. At the preschool stage, kids don't care what you look like, right?
Old 05-14-14, 08:27 PM
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader

Bikes: shiny red tricycle

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 97 Posts
Ugh. Too hot. The only good thing about it is I am back in sandals.
Old 05-15-14, 04:49 AM
esmith2039

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
A bit windy but perfect! Only my 3rd day after a four year absence, only 7 miles one way so not bad for the most part. Sore as all get out but feel great!
Old 05-15-14, 05:03 AM
dcb23

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
68F / 20C coming in, hazy. Steamy here in the office..I'm going to need to really ratchet down the temp on the shower when I get here to the office!
Old 05-15-14, 05:11 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
It looks like my wife will be taking me in this morning, but I'm going to load up the bike just in case it clears up before 5.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
weather20140515.gif (27.3 KB, 6 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.