Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on helmet video cameras

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-14, 03:00 AM
Connect2

Bikes: Trek 1500/Trek 760/Schwinn Homegrown mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My first post as a new member. I would like to hear comments about experiences with using helmet cameras to collect proof of problem dogs and angry humans. I've been having more and more trouble with being chased by dogs, bumped, bitten, frightened. People are also increasingly verbally aggressive toward me. I have crashed hard because of a large pit bull that charged my front wheel. I've been bitten twice. I've been chased down by a man in his huge monster truck who told me not to ride past his house. I'm frequently calling dispatch/sheriff's department to report problems so I can ride my routes in peace. I could give in to all these opponents and give up my bike, but after 30 years of riding, I'd like to continue. It was recommended to me to start using a helmet camera so I have proof to back up my side of the story. I used to ride in Indianapolis and never had to fight these battles. Of course, I often rode with others. I've ridden alone for the past 25 years. There are very few people who ride in my county so it's solo or find a new sport. I'm not a hot head when I'm on my bike. I just don't want to be injured/killed when all I want to do is ride. Thanks -
Old 05-16-14, 07:28 AM
JonnyHK 

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 129 Posts
Worth it for all those reasons. I've not needed to use my footage yet, but plenty of guys I know have used it to send to the police etc.

Research a bit (and test out in stores?) for something that either can film your whole ride or that is quick/easy to turn on when you think you might need it.

GoPro
Contour
Garmin
and many more.
Old 05-16-14, 08:36 AM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been thinking of getting a camera myself, just to have a record in case something happens to me while on my commute.

Does anyone on here have a GearPro camera? It's a Chinese knock-off of the GoPro, but it's $40 instead of $200-$300, and it comes with various mounts. I'm really tempted to get one, but don't want to throw away $40 on junk.
Old 05-16-14, 08:40 AM
Connect2

Bikes: Trek 1500/Trek 760/Schwinn Homegrown mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reinforcing comments. Once my Lorex video camera arrives and I get it ready to go, I'll be curious as to when the first opportunity occurs to have evidence of what I'm going through. I'm averaging one problem a week which is really beating me down. One of the last dog owners told multiple lies to the sheriff's department about my behavior and actions when his dog had chased me 3 times in 2 weeks.

I spent hours researching helmet cameras and finally decided on the Lorex LSC015 for $160. The features are what I'll need (easy with instant response and 2 hours of recording time).

Fortunately, I have earned the trust of one of the local deputies who is oftentimes on duty when I ride. He is supportive of me and for this I am thankful.

This camera should turn things around for me when the locals don't respond to polite requests to confine their dogs.
Old 05-16-14, 08:53 AM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Here in Washington the police won't do much either, but animal control takes these things very seriously, if you can identify who they are, they will get a visit from them, and will take action on repeat offenses.
Old 05-16-14, 08:56 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Connect2
...... I've been having more and more trouble with being chased by dogs, bumped, bitten, frightened. People are also increasingly verbally aggressive toward me. I have crashed hard because of a large pit bull that charged my front wheel. I've been bitten twice. I've been chased down by a man in his huge monster truck who told me not to ride past his house. I'm frequently calling dispatch/sheriff's department to report problems so I can ride my routes in peace.......... I just don't want to be injured/killed when all I want to do is ride. Thanks -
First I want to congratulate you on not taking the law into your own hands. Collecting evidence for prosecution... is the job of the police. If this is your first introduction into politics... at least now you are starting to see how it all works. The Sheriff is an elected position. He/She may wish to speak with you directly about your traffic difficulties. If the Sheriff doesn't provide you the service you need... make an appointment with the Prosecutor (also an elected position).

I don't blame you for not wanting to be "injured/killed".... hopefully none of us want that. However... cycling does have inherent dangers that CANNOT be eliminated. Life has risks.... and IMHO cycling is well worth the risks involved.
Old 05-16-14, 09:14 AM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
Where are you living, so I can avoid that hotspot of love and caring?
Old 05-16-14, 09:19 AM
JosephG

Bikes: Raleigh RX 1.0; Late 90's Trek 830

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have crashed hard because of a large pit bull that charged my front wheel.
Pet peeve here. Please do not call a dog a 'pit bull' unless you actually know the breeds really, *really* well. The last 'pit bull' attack in the paper was actually a lab. The one before that was a bulldog I've also seen ridgebacks, retrievers, and jack russels called "pit bulls'. They aren't.

Thanks
Old 05-16-14, 09:19 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

....... Once my Lorex video camera arrives and I get it ready to go, I'll be curious as to when the first opportunity occurs to have evidence of what I'm going through........
I spent hours researching helmet cameras and finally decided on the Lorex LSC015 for $160. The features are what I'll need (easy with instant response and 2 hours of recording time).
Oops... looks like my congratulations were premature. But it does appear you did select a fine camera. Maybe... you should first reassess your position.... and consider donating the camera and a bicycle to the police to help them do their job with evidence collection. After all.... they are the people society has assigned that task to. NO ONE... has elected YOU to this trusted position.

I use security cameras at home myself. I know through my own research that you may be in violation some state laws. Collecting video on my property as you ride by.... could be considered a pretty serious offence.... including violation of new "stalking laws".

Hopefully you've spoke with the Prosecutor.... and have his/her full support. If your just doing this on your own....... Best of luck with your vigilante efforts.
Old 05-16-14, 09:39 AM
Dave Cutter

Originally Posted by JosephG
Pet peeve here. Please do not call a dog a 'pit bull' unless you actually know the breeds really, *really* well. The last 'pit bull' attack in the paper was actually a lab. The one before that was a bulldog I've also seen ridgebacks, retrievers, and jack russels called "pit bulls'. They aren't.
Unfortunately... "pit bull" has become an emotionally charged word used to mean any dog that is violent. Or... any bread of dog kept by it's owner without regard for restraint or the safety of others. The term "German Shepard" was similarly villain-ized in the 50's-60's. I took the use term to merely mean: a frightening animal.

I see a lot of the "invisible fence" restrained dogs in my area. I like the solution for the animals.... but the charging barking dogs can scare the begeebees out of a cyclist (like myself).
Old 05-16-14, 09:39 AM
ColnagoC40

Bikes: Vitus 979 x 2, Vitus 992, Colnago C40, Colnago C60

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
Oops... looks like my congratulations were premature. But it does appear you did select a fine camera. Maybe... you should first reassess your position.... and consider donating the camera and a bicycle to the police to help them do their job with evidence collection. After all.... they are the people society has assigned that task to. NO ONE... has elected YOU to this trusted position.

I use security cameras at home myself. I know through my own research that you may be in violation some state laws. Collecting video on my property as you ride by.... could be considered a pretty serious offence.... including violation of new "stalking laws".

Hopefully you've spoke with the Prosecutor.... and have his/her full support. If your just doing this on your own....... Best of luck with your vigilante efforts.
Interesting perspective. Competitive cyclist as well as motorcyclist here. Many of us ride with GoPro all the time, post footage on Youtube. A few of us have been successful in securing prosecutions by providing footage through the correct channels.

Example below:

Driver Cited for Harassing Cyclists in Viral Video - ABC News
Old 05-16-14, 09:52 AM
JosephG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unfortunately... "pit bull" has become an emotionally charged word used to mean any dog that is violent. Or... any bread of dog kept by it's owner without regard for restraint or the safety of others. The term "German Shepard" was similarly villain-ized in the 50's-60's. I took the use term to merely mean: a frightening animal.
And unfortunately it leads to idiots talking about killing off a breed (when they really don't even understand three) because they are "violent", and yet somehow, the American Temperament Test Society shows the three breeds which get the pit bull name to be some of the lowest aggression of all dog breeds. Having had a pit, as well as family having a few others, is why I jump on those kinds of comments every time I see them.

Still means pet owners need to be responsible, regardless of breed, as with the OP's example.
Old 05-16-14, 10:04 AM
Dave Cutter

Originally Posted by ColnagoC40
...... Many of us ride with GoPro all the time, post footage on Youtube. A few of us have been successful in securing prosecutions by providing footage through the correct channels.
Oh yes.... I am well aware of the news and was a VERY early adapter of YouTube. Are you trying to educated me on current events... or is this some sort of counter-point in support of vigilante activities?

I am also well aware of the popularity of tattoos and legalized pot use.... maybe since it's rainy here... I should buy some weed and get high and inked. After all... it's popular.

The link you posted.... happened to be extremely sad. The old man very likely suffered from dementia. Often... this creates a very sad end to an otherwise productive and respectable long life.

It is truly shameful that a dying television network promoted such a degusting misuse of technology to boost its own ratings. The national humiliation of a fading old senior citizen who no longer properly fits modern society.... because a fatal illness. Is NOT something I think any cyclist would be proudly associated with.

Before this [very public] failing the old man had been a productive worker, husband, father, grandfather and a good man. That video is a fine example of how vigilante efforts can ruin people life's. Thank you... for using that video-case as your way of supporting vigilante activities.
Old 05-16-14, 10:17 AM
ColnagoC40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh yes.... I am well aware of the news and was a VERY early adapter of YouTube. Are you trying to educated me on current events... or is this some sort of counter-point in support of vigilante activities?

I am also well aware of the popularity of tattoos and legalized pot use.... maybe since it's rainy here... I should buy some weed and get high and inked. After all... it's popular.

The link you posted.... happened to be extremely sad. The old man very likely suffered from dementia. Often... this creates a very sad end to an otherwise productive and respectable long life.

It is truly shameful that a dying television network promoted such a degusting misuse of technology to boost its own ratings. The national humiliation of a fading old senior citizen who no longer properly fits modern society.... because a fatal illness. Is NOT something I think any cyclist would be proudly associated with.

Before this [very public] failing the old man had been a productive worker, husband, father, grandfather and a good man. That video is a fine example of how vigilante efforts can ruin people life's. Thank you... for using that video-case as your way of supporting vigilante activities.
Sorry I'm not into thread hijacking. My question was trying to understand why so many GoPro users, me included were not aware that shooting footage while riding could have legal implications? Any factual substantiation to this extent will be appreciated.
Old 05-16-14, 10:25 AM
Dave Cutter

Originally Posted by JosephG
.......the American Temperament Test Society shows the three breeds which get the pit bull name to be some of the lowest aggression of all dog breeds. ....
Still means pet owners need to be responsible, regardless of breed, as with the OP's example.
Of course pet owners need to be responsible... and the vast majority of them ARE. I don't happen to own a pet at this time.... but I respect the rights of those people who do.

I also am aware of my and OTHERS responsibly to society. Dog owners have the responsibly to restrain their animals. And the public has the responsibly to tolerate the imperfections of pet ownership. Owning pets are perfectly normal human activities and a great comfort to many.

A cyclists fear of your pet does NOT make you a bad pet owner.

The general public should not be required to bend or alter their activities because of someone else's "fear" of consequences. Likewise... vigilantes should not be allowed to sneak around your property and spy on you and your family in pursuit of finding "evidence" of some secret violation of "pet control" that may be only a figment of their own imagination.

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 05-16-14 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-16-14, 10:39 AM
Dave Cutter

Originally Posted by ColnagoC40
My question was trying to understand why so many GoPro users, me included were not aware that shooting footage while riding could have legal implications?
Such spying on people is regulated by States. There is no one national standard. There is also a century of case law (also in various States)... in regards to privacy and electronic surveillance. Much of the laws were written in regards to "sound recording specificity" and adapted to include (or not include) video.

You can do your own research... or hire your own local lawyer. If the "letter of the law" is how you determine right from wrong.

Or... you can use the head on your shoulders and the common sense you were born with to figure out that spying on other people is just stupid-silly WRONG. Who or what... gives any of us the right to spy on another person or family without some legal process.

If you became aware that the local police was videotaping you and your family... your lawyer would be demanding to see the search warrant that was signed by an elected judge.

Yet.... you're willing to just assume that its morally OK... to spy on anyone YOU wish to? What again is it... you weren't aware of?!?!?
Old 05-16-14, 10:40 AM
the_tool_man

Bikes: 1983 Fuji Touring Series IV, Masi Volumetrica 3VC

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My first post as a new member. I would like to hear comments about experiences with using helmet cameras to collect proof of problem dogs and angry humans. I've been having more and more trouble with being chased by dogs, bumped, bitten, frightened. People are also increasingly verbally aggressive toward me. I have crashed hard because of a large pit bull that charged my front wheel. I've been bitten twice. I've been chased down by a man in his huge monster truck who told me not to ride past his house. I'm frequently calling dispatch/sheriff's department to report problems so I can ride my routes in peace. I could give in to all these opponents and give up my bike, but after 30 years of riding, I'd like to continue. It was recommended to me to start using a helmet camera so I have proof to back up my side of the story. I used to ride in Indianapolis and never had to fight these battles. Of course, I often rode with others. I've ridden alone for the past 25 years. There are very few people who ride in my county so it's solo or find a new sport. I'm not a hot head when I'm on my bike. I just don't want to be injured/killed when all I want to do is ride. Thanks -
You do seem to have an unusual amount of bad encounters. I don't know where you live. But my local Animal Control won't do anything without photographic or video evidence of an unleashed dog "off property". So, you're on the right track getting a camera. I would also suggest that you might have some success using a dog repellant, such as Halt! spray. I've used it on occasion, and have found it effective more than half the time. In my case, dog encounters are so rare that I don't habitually carry the stuff. But you might want to buy the handlebar mount, lol. I couldn't have helped you with camera selection, other than that when I was looking, I gravitated toward the Contour Roam II, until I learned they were going out of business. Contour is back, but I don't have confidence in their long-term viability any longer. Please post a review of the Lorex camera you bought, once you have some experience with it. I'd like to know more.
Old 05-16-14, 10:43 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The old man very likely suffered from dementia. Often... this creates a very sad end to an otherwise productive and respectable long life.
If that was the case I agree that it will be a very sad end to his respectable long life. But if having the video is what leads to that diagnosis being made and steps are taken to prevent him from being a danger to other road users in the future then that strikes me as a good outcome. Better to have only one sad end to a long life than to also have one or more additional sad endings to prematurely shortened lives.
Old 05-16-14, 10:46 AM
JosephG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A cyclists fear of your pet does NOT make you a bad pet owner.

The general public should not be required to bend or alter their activities because of someone else's "fear" of consequences. Likewise... vigilantes should not be allowed to sneak around your property and spy on you and your family in pursuit of finding "evidence" of some secret violation of "pet control" that may be only a figment of their own imagination.
As a pet owner, not having your pet under control makes you a bad (and dangerous) owner. I have no idea what you're going off about with vigilante justice against pets by trespassing and spying, as it has precisely nothing to do with anything I've said.
Old 05-16-14, 10:47 AM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Such spying on people is regulated by States. There is no one national standard. There is also a century of case law (also in various States)... in regards to privacy and electronic surveillance. Much of the laws were written in regards to "sound recording specificity" and adapted to include (or not include) video.

You can do your own research... or hire your own local lawyer. If the "letter of the law" is how you determine right from wrong.

Or... you can use the head on your shoulders and the common sense you were born with to figure out that spying on other people is just stupid-silly WRONG. Who or what... gives any of us the right to spy on another person or family without some legal process.

If you became aware that the local police was videotaping you and your family... your lawyer would be demanding to see the search warrant that was signed by an elected judge.

Yet.... you're willing to just assume that its morally OK... to spy on anyone YOU wish to? What again is it... you weren't aware of?!?!?
The courts have consistently upheld that there is no expectation of privacy in public places. I can set up a video camera on the street and record everyone who goes past.
Old 05-16-14, 10:48 AM
ColnagoC40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding with a helmet video cam is spying on people?

Really?

Old 05-16-14, 10:53 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts
.... I have crashed hard because of a large pit bull that charged my front wheel. I've been bitten twice. -
Like some others here, I'm wondering where you live.

Usually police accept tooth marks, or affidavits from the doctor ot nurse who treated them as best evidence of dog bites, and will then accept your identification of the specific dog. Or you can use the bite marks and your ID as evidence for a civil suit against the owner.

In many rural areas there are no leash laws, and farm dogs are allowed to roam free. Chasing bikes up to the property line is par for the course, and police won't get involved. That's until a dog bites a person off the property, which is actionable.

Get a camera if you think it'll help you, but if the police aren't to investigate a proven bite, then I doubt it'll make a difference.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-16-14, 11:05 AM
Number400

Bikes: Cannondale Slate 105 and T2 tandem, 2008 Scott Addict R4, Raleigh SC drop bar tandem

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Love my dash cam in my car! Just do your research before you ride with a camera rolling and find out of you are a two-party state when it comes to recording AUDIO. Here in PA I have to warn others that their voice is being recorded but video is OK.

And good on you for wanting to collect evidence and hold people accountable for their actions. I have started calling people out for bull**** and unsafe driving practices and if more people would, maybe someone will think twice before acting like they can do anything anytime with impunity.
Old 05-16-14, 11:14 AM
Cyclosaurus

Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There is a fairly consistent legal standard that has been in use for decades based on a reasonable expectation of privacy. Anyone using public streets does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy, so recording them will be generally legal.
Old 05-16-14, 11:42 AM
Dave Cutter

Originally Posted by Cyclosaurus
..... so recording them will be generally legal.
In my State... in Edison's time.... recording meant sound. And it was determined that recording a person or persons without their consent was always outside a reasonable expectation of privacy. Those laws still stand... similar laws are in effect in other States. More recently stalking and pedophile collection of video has caused the creation of new laws that deal with stalking [and video/image collection] again.... by States.

It is true, stalking doesn't always violate traditional privacy laws. If your stalking people.... check with your parole officer about the legality of your actions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.