Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

"Classic & Vintage" The ones you don't understand the attraction.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-15, 11:53 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Some of my favourite bikes were listed here already. That's ok, everyone likes different things.
Old 03-31-15, 04:35 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Not to be rude, but if you've never seen one and never ridden one I don't understand how you can express those opinions. They certainly don't look like Peugeots. It's one thing to say you can't afford one, or would never spend that on a bike...it's another to say it looks like a Peugeot and you don't understand the appeal based on its merits.
Is this the "Classic & Vintage" The ones you don't understand the attraction thread, or is it being hijacked by the "I want to argue with you about your not understanding the attraction" thread?

I didn't see in the OP's title that any experience was necessary to either understand or not understand the attraction.
Old 03-31-15, 04:38 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy
Glad somebody said it, so I didn't have to.
And said it a lot better.
Twine is for...
I don't even know what twine is for anymore.
It became obsolete when they invented packing tape.
Macrame?
Cat died.
Old 03-31-15, 05:10 AM
Flog00

Bikes: Tomii Touring

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 17 Posts
I'm just not partial to french anything but food.
French wine is pretty darn good too.
Old 03-31-15, 05:55 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
Tell me about the Rene Herse you rode in determining this...what year was it?
Sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie but I would never eat the filthy mother ****er to find out.
Old 03-31-15, 06:02 AM
Sidney Porter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
My little Ukranian grandparents had a mint green Falcon, maybe a '62. It was wrecked in an accident in the mid 1970s.

I remember reading that Lee Iacoca's team borrowed the dash/instrument cluster from the Falcon on the first concepts for the 1964 1/2 model Mustang. So, at least something good came from it... PG
i had a 64.5 mustang and a 64 falcon. It was a lot more than the dash that was the same.
Old 03-31-15, 06:05 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Not to be rude, but if you've never seen one and never ridden one I don't understand how you can express those opinions. They certainly don't look like Peugeots. It's one thing to say you can't afford one, or would never spend that on a bike...it's another to say it looks like a Peugeot and you don't understand the appeal based on its merits.
Isn't the fact that it's French enough?
Old 03-31-15, 06:27 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by Fidbloke
What is the problems with kickstands.?

I like that fact that I can turn up at a village pub, for a nice 'cellar temperature' seasonal ale and simply flip the stand down, so the bike can stand up on its own. It saves all the fannying about, as you try to find somewhere to prop it up.

Much more civilised in my view.!
I totally agree with you.

I think too many people have a need to denigrate the things that are meant for "beginners" and people who aren't "serious" about cycling.

Kickstands, braking from where comfortable, shifting without reaching down, protective gear...

Granted, the classic Greenfield style kickstand can damage chainstays- but when installed and used properly, the damage is minimal and the utility is great.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 03-31-15, 07:33 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Cat died.
Hung herself with twine.

Good riddance. Cats are nothing but trouble.
Old 03-31-15, 07:33 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Flog00
French wine is pretty darn good too.
I've never developed my taste in wine sufficiently to have opinions. I can tell basics...acidity, some notes...but that's about it.
Originally Posted by iab
Sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie but I would never eat the filthy mother ****er to find out.
Rene Herse are some charming a** pigs.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 03-31-15 at 07:40 AM.
Old 03-31-15, 08:15 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyone
No reasons necessary...

For me it's .............................. especially a PX-10. I just don't get the attraction.
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
99% of the Puegeots I see.
Originally Posted by gomango
Yep.
Originally Posted by Narhay
I don't understand the attraction................. Just looks like an old Peugeot ....
Now that we're semi-back on track with bikes, why all the picking on Peugeot?

My '82 PXN10 is a great rider. I've done centuries on it. Wish it was one size larger, though.

[As purchased picture - it's been cleaned up and "corrected" since.]

Old 03-31-15, 08:57 AM
the_tool_man

Bikes: 1983 Fuji Touring Series IV, Masi Volumetrica 3VC

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I don't get:

Mixte frames.
Double top tubes.
Bamboo frames.
Mismatched wheels for no apparent reason, either construction or color, as the SS/FG crowd seems to love. Not to be confused with different constructions for aero purposes.
Old 03-31-15, 09:02 AM
greg3rd48 

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 101 Posts
As they say "every jar has its lid". I personally love all things French so I have an affinity for my Peugeots. I also love my '94 Cannondale R600 with the fat D/T so maybe I am just different...

That being said I spent many many weekends in the garage and at car show with my pop who rebuilt and ADORED AMC's (American Motors). He enjoyed being different and the attention and questions that it brought him and I loved driving with him in the Rambler Classic and seeing people admire his handiwork on these less appreciated cars. Maybe the apple didn't fall far from the tree... There must be a reason why I enjoy fixing up and riding French bikes that are older than I am.

Last edited by greg3rd48; 03-31-15 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-31-15, 09:32 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,478 Times in 1,439 Posts
I have a strong impulse to defend the stuff criticized here but that's not what the thread is about!

Surlys bother me, and it's not really fair of me, because they are a solid value. They're just too heavy for what they are.

Tires that place excessive emphasis on puncture protection and not enough on ride quality: I don't get them.

I suspect the Paramount was intended more as a marketing tool than to ride. I'm sure they ride as well as intended, but their value is attributed to the kid who could afford a Varsity but drooled under the Paramount hanging from the shop ceiling. It built the brand's prestige. I'd bet it didn't build the company's bottom line directly. They look very well made, but I can't justify the prices they command these days. It's sentimentality, not technical superiority driving up the prices.

I'm sure I'll think of more.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-31-15, 09:57 AM
Kactus

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I suspect the Paramount was intended more as a marketing tool than to ride... It's sentimentality, not technical superiority driving up the prices.
In the small city near where I grew up (1960's), there were no bike shops selling the top European brands, and the Japanese hadn't started building 'good' bikes yet. Once in a blue moon, one would see an "English Racer", a black Raleigh 3-speed and we thought these to be very exotic.

When we went to buy a bike, it was either at the Schwinn store, Sears or JC Penney's. That, and combined with the "knowledge" that American technology and workmanship was better than all others meant that Paramounts were "the" quality bikes. Very few of our parents could afford to buy them for us, but we all aspired to them. This "belief" continued into the 70's when European and Japanese bikes started to show up (although we still couldn't afford the Paramount). Now that I'm able to afford one (if I could only find​ one) it has become a grail bike for me.
Old 03-31-15, 10:02 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,478 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Kactus
In the small city near where I grew up (1960's), there were no bike shops selling the top European brands, and the Japanese hadn't started building 'good' bikes yet. Once in a blue moon, one would see an "English Racer", a black Raleigh 3-speed and we thought these to be very exotic.

When we went to buy a bike, it was either at the Schwinn store, Sears or JC Penney's. That, and combined with the "knowledge" that American technology and workmanship was better than all others meant that Paramounts were "the" quality bikes. Very few of our parents could afford to buy them for us, but we all aspired to them. This "belief" continued into the 70's when European and Japanese bikes started to show up (although we still couldn't afford the Paramount). Now that I'm able to afford one (if I could only find​ one) it has become a grail bike for me.
Your explanation shows that your background explains your preference. I grew up here in NYC where Schwinn shops were actually rare! NYC is the least brand loyal place in the country. In 1978 and 1979, I sold various bike brands. People walked into the shop and said, "Panasonic makes bicycles?" We would say, "Yes, they're good!" And people bought them, because brand matters, but it matters less in NYC than other places. We have fewer chain restaurants, too. McDonald's came to NYC last, in 1972, after everywhere else in the country. And of course, we have more foreigners (people) here than most places.

So I assumed Schwinn bikes were inferior. I was wrong about that. I eventually learned that they were very well made. But they were not better made than the other good bikes, either, and I have no reason to prefer them as long as the prices are higher.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-31-15, 10:03 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
What's wrong with Paramounts again?

I've never owned one but those early 70's bikes with the chromed Nervex lugs are really nice, in my book.
Old 03-31-15, 10:16 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Tom - I agree...a lot of our preferences and wants are formed by what was available, or trendy, or appreciated locally. There really is almost a regional mythology behind a lot of our tastes...I have no special affinity for Masi USA or any of the builders that came out of there. I didn't see those bikes here and it wasn't part of our mythology. Neither were Paramounts.

PX-10s were big, Raleigh Pros, Frejus. Those are the bikes the older guys talked about. If you were really lucky, someone would have a Cinelli. In the period I grew up, it was VERY De Rosa, Colnago and Pinarello. The kids my age rode what we got from the shops they rode for...or that they saved up and bought. Lots of Cannondales, Giants, Centurion and Specialized. Trek was getting big. Lotus was really big in my area....probably more so than the other Japanese bikes.

One of the things I like about our forum is being exposed to stuff I wasn't exposed to in my area.
Old 03-31-15, 10:28 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by Ex Pres
Now that we're semi-back on track with bikes, why all the picking on Peugeot?

My '82 PXN10 is a great rider. I've done centuries on it. Wish it was one size larger, though.

[As purchased picture - it's been cleaned up and "corrected" since.]

I just bought myself my first full Reynolds 531 bike and one that I've wanted for a very long time - a 1971 PX10. I think Peugeots are great, I just don't see what differentiates Rene Herse from a nice Peugeot, other than the ability to buy 30 really nice PX10s.
Old 03-31-15, 10:37 AM
St33lWh33ls

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Back in the early 80’s a friend sold me a chrome Paramount frame, I took it to the local bike shop and bought a Dura Ace group and had them build it up (it was cheaper than Campy). I bought the frame because it was chrome and I lived on the beach and corrosion was a real problem. The bike that I had been riding was an Austro Daimler Vent Noir with a matte black finish that was starting to wear because of the daily washing off of sweat and salt spray. I bought the Vent Noir new in 78 and it had sentimental value so I thought the Paramount would be a good work horse and easy to maintain for most of my riding. I had the same feeling about anything Schwinn at the time, I never really thought of them as “serious bicycles” and chrome plated…come on! Thing is though, even though the Paramount was a bit heavier, it was also stiffer and I found I enjoyed that ride much better than the more compliant Vent Noir. It felt like a firm platform when you got out of the saddle, the AD was just a bit whippy. Turns out I really liked the Paramount and at the time really didn’t know much of anything about them.

This whole thread is about perception, and if you don’t understand something its incumbent on you to find out if you really care at all. Not understanding something speaks more about you than the thing you don’t understand. I don’t know much about PX10s, but it didn’t take a second to look up the rich bicycle history of Peugeot and consequently how it might attract enthusiasts. So in summation, if you don’t understand something look it up you lazy b@$7@4d$!
Old 03-31-15, 10:47 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Even though I have an almost limitless access to fine European bikes, and plenty of pretty Asian made frames, I still long for a chrome Paramount. Amazing pretty frames.
Old 03-31-15, 10:57 AM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 282 Posts
90's Italian paint jobs. Blecchh!
Old 03-31-15, 11:07 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocky Gravol
Wow. this thread went off the track.
Indeed. Let's get back to dissing other peoples' faves. I already bah'ed 80s Trek. Let's see..... no that's the only popular one I don't get. Let it come back to me though. I have a real soft spot in the very pedestrian Raleigh Supercourse MKII. Meh specs in its day, one of the most common decent bikes in its day. But I consider it a vintage gem in the "nothing special in its day" category.

Last edited by Camilo; 03-31-15 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-31-15, 11:30 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by greg3rd48
As they say "every jar has its lid". I personally love all things French so I have an affinity for my Peugeots. I also love my '94 Cannondale R600 with the fat D/T so maybe I am just different...
That jar thing doesnt seem to apply to tupperware. I share your love for the Cannondale racers.
Old 03-31-15, 11:36 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
That jar thing doesnt seem to apply to tupperware.
Actually, it does. There are plenty of lids for tupperware. None of them fit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.