Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cantilever struggle

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Cantilever struggle

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-23, 08:10 PM
Kdogbikes

Bikes: Gitane tdf,Schwinn 12.2,2 continentals,miyata310,univega supra soort,couple peugeots,ou8,ou10,a few mtb's and other bikes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 74 Posts
Cantilever struggle

Trying to get these 1st gen force brakes to work. Any help on setup would be appreciated
Old 10-29-23, 08:47 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
That's a weird cable/housing attachment to the brake straddle cable. Never saw it before and I've been riding cantilevers for 40 years. First thing I would suggest is to go out and get a seat pin brake housing hanger, a straddle cable "saddle" and a traditional straddle cable compatible with your calipers. Remove that roller on the brake bridge. (Same in front. You will need a hanger that is shaped like a headset washer. Now, perhaps this arrangement was arrived at because there are issues with the seat pin system or headset used. Photos might help us there.)

When you've "morphed" your bike to a traditional setup, we can easily help you fine tune the setup to work quite well. Cantilevers are a proven system. Developed to work well in the winter, the wet and in mud. I had my Peter Mooney built to use the 1950s version. (Mafac) Real stoppers! But my bike was set up around the then common hangers for all cantilever and centerpull brakes. That 1950s (or earlier) technology work so well that little happened to improve it. But dual pivot brakes and modern thinking pushed aside what worked so well. (Just rode my Mooney today and spent a minute or two admiring how well the brakes worked.)

Best place to get the appropriate hardware might well be the local bike coop or old shop with boxes of old stuff and an old mechanic who knows it. Bring your bike so he can see it. When you've found what works (and ridden it) you can go on the DiaComp website or others and look for shiny new models of the same.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 10-29-23, 08:48 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Pads are upside down. Run them closer to the arm.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 10-29-23, 08:54 PM
SW84

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 78 Posts
Need a few more pics.
Old 10-29-23, 09:03 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
I admit the cabling is weird, but if it works and was invented by Shimano, then the same still applies: The canti arms are always perfectly vertical when braking in use, so the threadless pads and cabling must be adjusted to achieve that.

I'd have to make a video to explain better, but I won't be doing that so...
Old 10-30-23, 05:47 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Yes, more photos needed. I'd want to inspect the cable routing and levers as well.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 10-30-23, 05:53 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
As I recall, Cannondale came up with that setup for one of their early full-suspension bikes. I'd move the posts for the pads higher in the arms and then follow Kontact's advice above. Also, balancing the spring tension with the brake arm screws is crucial.
Old 10-30-23, 09:02 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
This cable touting has been done for decades. I first saw it in the later 1970s on a local rider's bike, home made with bulky hardware. This routing effectively increases the leverage of the system at the cost of pad travel (per lever pull amount) and often one pad rubbing the rim when it won't retract evenly WRT the other side's pad. There were also cable stop locations on a "rocker arm" mounted on a third pivot located where a caliper brake or fender would mount.

I have had a number of customers with bikes using some sort of this mechanical leverage changing cable routing and most have complained about brake rub. We would readjust a couple of times for free (that "30 day service warranty" part) and press them to let us convert the system to the "normal" cable stop and routing. The dozen or so we did change usually had positive feedback. The riders didn't like the lessening of braking "power" but liked the lack of brake pad rub more. Andy
Old 10-30-23, 09:20 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Thanks. I learned something re: this cable routing. (I'll still probably never venture past horizontal armed cantis and traditional cable routing which has worked so well for me for so long. And the scraped inner thigh from that canti arm while doing a X-country running mount; well that's not happening this lifetime.)
Old 10-30-23, 09:23 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Trying to get these 1st gen force brakes to work
Do they work at all? Do the pads move toward the rim and make contact with it? If so, then it might be a question of loosening the pinch bolt and repositioning the cable if there isn't a barrel adjuster on the brake lever or in-line that has some adjustment left in it.

It might also be that the wheel is out of true and the pads are having to be adjusted wider to avoid rub so you can't get enough travel with a pull of the lever to get enough stopping force.

If the pads are on upside down, it looks like they've been there awhile and have worn in to that angle of the rim. But a single picture makes it hard to see everything that needs to be seen to really tell much about that.
Old 10-30-23, 03:18 PM
Kdogbikes

Bikes: Gitane tdf,Schwinn 12.2,2 continentals,miyata310,univega supra soort,couple peugeots,ou8,ou10,a few mtb's and other bikes

Couple more pics Bike is a 92 Cannondale m700.

I unbolted rack and could see that the arms way outa wack. I’ll reset these and check pads right side up, and give it a go.
Old 10-30-23, 03:19 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
I admit the cabling is weird, but if it works and was invented by Shimano, then the same still applies: The canti arms are always perfectly vertical when braking in use, so the threadless pads and cabling must be adjusted to achieve that.

I'd have to make a video to explain better, but I won't be doing that so...
it's a Cannondale "invention"... and they sucked, which explains why they were "first Generation"... the second Gen. also sucked, but they looked better, so.....

both generations are now considered obsolete, and only used parts can be found.
to set them up, attempt to get even motion from both brake arms at once... good luck.... one arm SHOULD have a return spring adjustment available.

sadly, the "adjustment" seems to frequently change after any serious off road, or wet conditions, use.
most C-dale owners tended to eliminate the setup and install a couple normal Canti-cable stops... the rear hangs from the Seatpost clamp, the front could either be a Stem-with-cable stop hole, or a plate/stop that fits between the upper race nut and top/jam nut on the threaded headset. a normal Canti Stirrup and Bridge Cable could then be used in place of the problematic C-dale gizmos.
Suspension front forks require a Fork Bridge mounted cable stop setup.

i recently saved a nice C-dale M600 from the scrappers.... the front got a susp.fork with bridge cable stop, the rear now has the Second gen. C-dale setup, since i just happened to have the "cam" rocker in my spare parts stashes.

PS.. the adjuster set screws LOVE to Seize inside the brake arms... and the part they push against tends to get lost... somehow... i was lucky enough to locate ONE good insert in my parts bins... out of over a hundred canti sets in those bins and boxes... and that one was out of a later version of a similar arm, so it required some re-working to fit.... outside diameter and engage notch both got ground/filed some.

Last edited by maddog34; 10-30-23 at 03:54 PM.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 10-30-23, 03:28 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 373 Posts
So we are just going to ignore the R and arrow on the pad cause someone on the InterWeb said so?....
Old 10-30-23, 03:46 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Originally Posted by Iride01
Do they work at all? Do the pads move toward the rim and make contact with it? If so, then it might be a question of loosening the pinch bolt and repositioning the cable if there isn't a barrel adjuster on the brake lever or in-line that has some adjustment left in it.

It might also be that the wheel is out of true and the pads are having to be adjusted wider to avoid rub so you can't get enough travel with a pull of the lever to get enough stopping force.

If the pads are on upside down, it looks like they've been there awhile and have worn in to that angle of the rim. But a single picture makes it hard to see everything that needs to be seen to really tell much about that.
Note the brake pads' Direction Arrow.... clearly visible in one of the pics....
Old 10-30-23, 03:59 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,583 Times in 1,432 Posts
Few issues.

As others have noted, the odds are upside down. Also slide them up on the arms so the post is n aquire to the rim. If possible, slide them out so the pad is also supported by the arm to improve rigidity and get a more positive feel.

Now, understand how this deslign works. When the lever is pulled, it effectively shortens the straddle wire, and the pulley equalizes the difference so both arms move.

So, adjust the wire at the pinch bolt so the shoes open about 1/16" per side, and touch the rim at about half lever travel, allowing the other half for applying brake force.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 10-30-23, 04:11 PM
maddog34

Originally Posted by Kdogbikes
Couple more pics Bike is a 92 Cannondale m700.

I unbolted rack and could see that the arms way outa wack. I’ll reset these and check pads right side up, and give it a go.
Did you happen to notice that the WHEEL is not Centered in the Frame??? That should be the first thing to be fixed. I'd look at the Axle Jam Nut area for any first re-alignment efforts... note the not-normal, extra large, Gap between the Freewheel and Frame dropout... some quick checks show a 4 to 7mm gap on bikes.... measuring from inner face of dropout to outer face of the teeth on the small sprockets... and i'd guess that extra gap comes from an extra jam nut being added to the axle to make that wheel fit a bike it was never built for...

Last edited by maddog34; 10-30-23 at 04:19 PM.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 10-30-23, 04:19 PM
Kdogbikes

Thanks for the replies My first C- dale. They advertise this braking system as being better than other canti’s. Anyways, I’m close to getting them to work. The front brakes work awesome, btw.Will look into a simpler set up later on. Cheers, Kevin
Old 10-30-23, 04:35 PM
maddog34

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Few issues.

As others have noted, the odds are upside down. Also slide them up on the arms so the post is n aquire to the rim. If possible, slide them out so the pad is also supported by the arm to improve rigidity and get a more positive feel.

Now, understand how this deslign works. When the lever is pulled, it effectively shortens the straddle wire, and the pulley equalizes the difference so both arms move.

So, adjust the wire at the pinch bolt so the shoes open about 1/16" per side, and touch the rim at about half lever travel, allowing the other half for applying brake force.
once again... Note the Direction Arrow in Pic #2... that is the right rear brake pad imaged. That brake Pad is Correctly oriented.

and then.. there's the absolutely HORRID rear wheel centering... That None of you "experts" noticed...

Last edited by maddog34; 10-30-23 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-30-23, 04:48 PM
maddog34

Thanks for the replies My first C- dale. They advertise this braking system as being better than other canti’s. Anyways, I’m close to getting them to work. The front brakes work awesome, btw.Will look into a simpler set up later on. Cheers, Kevin
Get the Rear AXLE set correctly before wasting your time flipping correctly oriented pads or aligning them to that badly centered rim, ok?

or do the job a second time.... after centering the badly centered Wheel/Axle/Rim.

the rear Frame tubes already have a cable stop... in the the bridge a few inches above the roller...

Last edited by maddog34; 10-30-23 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-30-23, 07:02 PM
Kdogbikes

Originally Posted by maddog34
Get the Rear AXLE set correctly before wasting your time flipping correctly oriented pads or aligning them to that badly centered rim, ok?

or do the job a second time.... after centering the badly centered Wheel/Axle/Rim.

the rear Frame tubes already have a cable stop... in the the bridge a few inches above the roller...
good eye on axel area! Original rear wheel has a couple loose spokes knocking it out of round I put this wheel on to ride the bike around a bit, not even realizing how off center it is. Wasn’t able to get tall gear either bc of this. So yes, wrong wheel from the start. Pic of original wheel
Likes For Kdogbikes:
Old 10-31-23, 05:02 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,003 Times in 488 Posts
Trying to get these 1st gen force brakes to work. Any help on setup would be appreciated
Force40 those things were called; I still use a pair of the newer versions, and I like it. I even a have a NOS set as spare. You also saw these on smaller frames where the cable comes from below (think mixtes)

The angle of the cam is absolutely critical. Its easier to figure out on the later version, the logo must be horizontal at rest, I'm not sure how it is supposed to look on V1.

Basically, these add another step to canti setup; first set up the pads, then set up the cam. Once set up, they work great.

Here are the instructions for V2, maybe they can help.

Last edited by DorkDisk; 10-31-23 at 05:16 AM. Reason: link
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 10-31-23, 09:56 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 373 Posts
My first C- dale. They advertise this braking system as being better than other canti’s.
From the company that gave us aluminum frames without replacable dlr hangers, BB30, and Lefty...
Old 10-31-23, 02:40 PM
maddog34

Originally Posted by wheelreason
From the company that gave us aluminum frames without replacable dlr hangers, BB30, and Lefty...
at least their Square Wheels idea never was produced.

when Caretaking the Washougal MX Park, Cannondale rented the track for testing their MX bikes once... they went home earlier than expected... no reason was given, but i did hear an odd squealing sound coming from one of the bikes right before they packed up and left... i'd guess it was a cam bearing/oiling problem... just a guess........ innovation is never easy.

i recall something about the reason behind the new Cannondale canti brake setup... something about it not allowing the stirrup cable to drop onto the knobby tires and lock up the wheel if a main brake cable breaks.... that was a big lawyer-feeding frenzy thing at some point...
Old 10-31-23, 03:16 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,583 Times in 1,432 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34;23057986,

i recall something about the reason behind the new Cannondale canti brake setup... something about it not allowing the stirrup cable to drop onto the knobby tires and lock up the wheel if a main brake cable breaks.... that was a big lawyer-feeding frenzy thing at some point...
Yes, lawsuits in the USA related to deaths and catastrophic injuries from front wheel lockup led to the phase out of canti brakes.

In the EU, a long established standard required a way to catch the yoke if the main cable broke or detached from the yoke, usually a rod extending from the fork's brake hole. In the USA the brake hole reflector mount did the same job, but folks were never told not to remove it.

The safety issue led to redesign of canti yokes, and ultimately to V-brakes.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-31-23, 06:26 PM
Kdogbikes

Originally Posted by maddog34

Ok…. Centered rear wheel/axle. ( feel like a real dumbass for missing this. Wrenching on bikes for over 10 years and still learning) And guess what ? Brakes worked like a charm! And rear mech hitting all cogs.

Likes For Kdogbikes:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.