Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cantilever struggle

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Cantilever struggle

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-23, 06:27 PM
SW84

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 78 Posts
I've spent some time researching this system. It's called the Force 40. Have you removed the cables and housing to clean and lube them? Might be a help on a system with such a short range of movement.
Old 10-31-23, 06:41 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
and all it took was moving a couple nuts... one on the axle, and one behind the handlebars...

happy halloween.
https://www.rd.com/wp-content/upload...-Jenn_C_FT.jpg

check the pad alignment on that right rear pad...
Likes For maddog34:
Old 11-01-23, 01:51 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
The only Cantis I’ve ever had (Cannondale CAADX about 2013) were so incredibly awful I can only salute the legal profession for saving us from them. Vibration (somewhat lessened but not elimnated by dropping the cable stop mount to the bottom of the headset), squealing, stopping power of mashed potato. Only benefit was the clearance if you really like riding through clay. Arguably easy to modulate but only because they didn’t slow the bike down much.

Last edited by choddo; 11-01-23 at 01:56 AM.
Likes For choddo:
Old 11-01-23, 06:00 AM
grumpus

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
Did you happen to notice that the WHEEL is not Centered in the Frame???
I did, came here to say that.
Old 11-01-23, 06:56 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
The only Cantis I’ve ever had (Cannondale CAADX about 2013) were so incredibly awful I can only salute the legal profession for saving us from them. Vibration (somewhat lessened but not elimnated by dropping the cable stop mount to the bottom of the headset), squealing, stopping power of mashed potato. Only benefit was the clearance if you really like riding through clay. Arguably easy to modulate but only because they didn’t slow the bike down much.
Gotta say, I agree with this post.
Likes For smd4:
Old 11-01-23, 07:19 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,003 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Gotta say, I agree with this post.
From what I remember, most people hated cantis also. Personally, never have I seen such a fast uptake of new technology as V brakes. As soon as they hit the market (95/96?), everyone and their dog ditched their cantis and went XT/XTR V brakes. Overnight, the entire CNC industry was wiped out by M950. I dislike cantis so much I have two "grail" sets- Tri-align and Record OR but I don't run them. They're OK for street riding, though.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 11-01-23, 08:58 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
Interesting post. I'd not seen these brakes until here.
Old 11-01-23, 09:06 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
Interesting post. I'd not seen these brakes until here.
The brakes aren't anything special for their time, the silly pulliey yoke connection thing is the rarity.
Old 11-01-23, 09:10 AM
SW84

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 78 Posts
When I first got my Raleigh I didn't like them. The hanger that held the crossover cable would never stay centered and there were no tension adjustment screws to center the pads. I bought the Shimano brake kit that came with the one-piece crossover links. Now they're the best brakes I've ever had on a bike (I've never had disks). I'm actually considering changing out the lateral pull brakes on my mtb for these.

Likes For SW84:
Old 11-01-23, 05:52 PM
Kdogbikes

Bikes: Gitane tdf,Schwinn 12.2,2 continentals,miyata310,univega supra soort,couple peugeots,ou8,ou10,a few mtb's and other bikes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by SW84
When I first got my Raleigh I didn't like them. The hanger that held the crossover cable would never stay centered and there were no tension adjustment screws to center the pads. I bought the Shimano brake kit that came with the one-piece crossover links. Now they're the best brakes I've ever had on a bike (I've never had disks). I'm actually considering changing out the lateral pull brakes on my mtb for these.

sharp setup! I’ve got a Fuji with cantilevers and they work awesome. This Cannondale that I started post about is a bit newer than what I’m used to.

Likes For Kdogbikes:
Old 11-01-23, 06:47 PM
grumpus

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
This cable touting has been done for decades. I first saw it in the later 1970s on a local rider's bike, home made with bulky hardware.
I "invented" this in 1990, it enabled light lever action with excellent modulation: I could do the best stoppies.
Old 11-01-23, 07:14 PM
grumpus

My next bike build will have cantis, they will work just fine as long as I can find some good levers. People who had a bad experience with traditional cantis either had junk equipment or a rubbish mechanic - lots of people didn't understand how to set them up, it's harder to screw up with direct-pull.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 11-01-23, 11:56 PM
choddo

Originally Posted by grumpus
My next bike build will have cantis, they will work just fine as long as I can find some good levers. People who had a bad experience with traditional cantis either had junk equipment or a rubbish mechanic - lots of people didn't understand how to set them up, it's harder to screw up with direct-pull.
It wasn’t just me

https://www.******.com/r/cyclocross/..._noisy_brakes/

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/lo...brakes.120954/

someone even made a specific product
https://www.reveloutdoors.co.uk/Cann...detail/3-40476
Old 11-02-23, 09:52 AM
grumpus

It wasn’t just me
I know, there was a spate of juddery CX brakes, mostly it seems caused by flex between the stem and the canti mounts combined with grabby friction material. Not necessarily junk equipment, but a particular combination of parts that produced sub-optimal performance. Replacing the grabby brake blocks with Kool Stop salmon (which has a very smooth progressive action and excellent wear properties) was fix enough for some, and a fork crown mounted hanger worked for others.
Hi
Old 11-02-23, 10:36 AM
choddo

Originally Posted by grumpus
I know, there was a spate of juddery CX brakes, mostly it seems caused by flex between the stem and the canti mounts combined with grabby friction material. Not necessarily junk equipment, but a particular combination of parts that produced sub-optimal performance. Replacing the grabby brake blocks with Kool Stop salmon (which has a very smooth progressive action and excellent wear properties) was fix enough for some, and a fork crown mounted hanger worked for others.
Hi
Yeah, as mentioned above, I did the latter. It helped a bit. I was still mighty relieved (and felt a bit guilty) to pass that on to a new owner and get a new CX bike with 105 hydro disks.