Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why No Shimano 50th Anniversary Group?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why No Shimano 50th Anniversary Group?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-24, 11:28 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
omg that Seiko watch in the 25th anniversary Dura Ace groupset! do want.
They pop up on eBay occasionally...
Old 02-21-24, 12:36 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Small cog
How about a 50th anniversary heritage set with a re-manufacture of one of their better old systems with some extra bling and more modern materials? I know it would only appeal to old duffers with more money than sense to put on their high end vintage display frames but it would generate publicity and perhaps some income.
So a company is going to pull out the tooling and specs for some components they havent made in 10-25 years ago(depending on who you ask for what 'one of their better old systems' is), manufacture a small amount of all those components that are likely polished/chromed aluminum and instead make them out of modern materials(carbon?) but also with bling, and then charge even more than they already charge for the highest level groupset?
...and all this would perhaps generate some income?

That seems like an insane amount of effort for a really small income opportunity. I would be interested to find out what they would have to charge for such a groupset.
What'd be really funny is that it would then only be useful to those who have more money than things to buy AND who have a cherished old mechanical rim brake frame. All the people with absurdly expensive modern bikes wouldnt even be the target audience because of brake and shift cables.
Old 02-21-24, 12:36 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by smd4
To me, appearance is part and parcel of fit and function. A higher-quality finish is an indicator of precision to me.
Huh. Interesting take.
Old 02-21-24, 12:37 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
You are guessing. You don't know that. Nobody knows why Shimano didn't release a 50th anniversary Dura Ace. All we are saying is that it's a missed opportunity for the company.
Ha! Take your first red comment and apply it to your second red comment.
Is it a missed opportunity for the company?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-21-24, 12:46 PM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
They pop up on eBay occasionally...
yep, I looked immediately after seeing this post, and there's a NOS one for $750. oof. Worth every penny I'm sure, but too rich for my blood. There is also a well-worn one overseas for a more reasonable $300.

I will spend the rest of my days looking for one of these that I can afford (intentionally overly dramatic).

For now, I'll continue enjoying my poor man's Festina Specialized watch from approx. the same era.
Old 02-21-24, 01:12 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
You are guessing. You don't know that. Nobody knows why Shimano didn't release a 50th anniversary Dura Ace. All we are saying is that it's a missed opportunity for the company.
Hmm.

On one hand, we have the most-successful (likely) bicycle component manufacturer with years of experience. On the other hand, we have a couple of arm-chair internet quarterbacks.

Which one is more likely to be able to know if it's a "missed opportunity"?

You are guessing. You don't know that.
??? You are guessing (too) and making a bad guess at that.

Last edited by njkayaker; 02-21-24 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-21-24, 01:17 PM
smd4

yep, I looked immediately after seeing this post, and there's a NOS one for $750. oof. Worth every penny I'm sure, but too rich for my blood. There is also a well-worn one overseas for a more reasonable $300.

I will spend the rest of my days looking for one of these that I can afford (intentionally overly dramatic).

For now, I'll continue enjoying my poor man's Festina Specialized watch from approx. the same era.
Yeah, they're a little spendy.

Personally, I'd rather have the booklet that came with the group. But even that is usually out of my price range.
Old 02-21-24, 02:03 PM
njkayaker

Aesthetics used to be part of biking. Not anymore.
Not sure how we all missed you being elected the pope of aesthetics.

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 02-21-24, 06:30 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by njkayaker
Not sure how we all missed you being elected the pope of aesthetics.
Beats me.
Old 02-21-24, 07:08 PM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
https://www.lionel.com/products/115t...shire-6-82959/

For whatever it's worth, Lionel trains is up to their 115th anniversary edition. They still do the old steamers, and they still run on WWII era layouts. The anniversary edition includes all the latest digital tech and will also run on computer network controlled layouts.

+1 Lionel for blending the new tech into their heritage, -1 for Shimano.
Likes For ScottCommutes:
Old 02-21-24, 07:21 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Ha! Take your first red comment and apply it to your second red comment.
Is it a missed opportunity for the company?
A 'missed opportunity' is a value judgement. In other words, it is subjective. I am not making any predictions as to whether customers would readily buy it or not. I am just saying I would have loved to see a 50th anniv Dura Ace. It's too bad that they never produced it.
Old 02-21-24, 07:23 PM
icemilkcoffee 

??? You are guessing (too) and making a bad guess at that.
Why is my guess worse than yours? Did anyone appoint you the Pope of guessing while I was sleeping?
Old 02-21-24, 08:11 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts

You can always get 105 watch on eBay for $24.99 and upgrade later.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 02-21-24, 08:46 PM
njkayaker

Why is my guess worse than yours?
I’m saying that the expert (Shimano) might know what they are doing.

You (not an expert) are guessing the expert (Shimano) is doing the wrong thing.

You are guessing. You don't know that.
Did anyone appoint you the Pope of guessing while I was sleeping?
You are managing to make even less sense. You started whinging about people guessing without realizing you were doing the same thing.

A 'missed opportunity' is a value judgement. In other words, it is subjective. I am not making any predictions as to whether customers would readily buy it or not.
This doesn’t make any sense. And you complained about what other people said. This is ridiculous.

I am just saying I would have loved to see a 50th anniv Dura Ace. It's too bad that they never produced it.
But you didn’t say this. You are also seriously moving goal posts.

Last edited by njkayaker; 02-21-24 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-21-24, 09:22 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

A 'missed opportunity' is a value judgement. In other words, it is subjective. I am not making any predictions as to whether customers would readily buy it or not. I am just saying I would have loved to see a 50th anniv Dura Ace. It's too bad that they never produced it.
That is a helluva tight rope to try and walk. You failed bigly, but I give you credit for at least trying. Your attempt is just a distinction without a difference, but kudos for trying.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-22-24, 01:51 AM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 342 Posts
Aesthetics used to be part of biking. Not anymore.
Yes, bikes were so much more interesting to look at when they all looked the same.
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 02-22-24, 02:33 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Sierra_rider
Yes, bikes were so much more interesting to look at when they all looked the same.
I would argue that they much looked less alike before they were all asphalt-camouflage with carbon-fibre (also the same colour as asphalt) parts.
But that's just like my opinion, man.
(And when did black jerseys become cool? Does no one know about Kirchoff's Law?)

Likes For calamarichris:
Old 02-22-24, 09:31 AM
ScottCommutes

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
You don't always need customers to buy a thing. Shimano (if they wanted to) could send anniversary sets out as promotions to shops, display the set at trade shows or in their lobby, do print ads with it, or whatever. Tons of companies do anniversary stuff like that.

By the way, a missed opportunity is sometimes just that. I have already missed many opportunities in life.
Likes For ScottCommutes:
Old 02-22-24, 09:53 AM
Steel Charlie

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
You don't always need customers to buy a thing. Shimano (if they wanted to) could send anniversary sets out as promotions to shops, display the set at trade shows or in their lobby, do print ads with it, or whatever. Tons of companies do anniversary stuff like that.

By the way, a missed opportunity is sometimes just that. I have already missed many opportunities in life.
I cudda bin a contenda !
Old 02-22-24, 10:01 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
I would argue that they much looked less alike before they were all asphalt-camouflage with carbon-fibre (also the same colour as asphalt) parts.
But that's just like my opinion, man.
(And when did black jerseys become cool? Does no one know about Kirchoff's Law?)

This discussion might be more suitable for the C&V because it appears that reality has been overlooked, and a sense of delusion has taken hold. The notion that Shimano would commemorate a significant milestone for one of its groupsets by reissuing an outdated model to cater to a handful of individuals seeking to recapture their youth with increased disposable income seems unlikely. While some may have a fondness for older, shiny groupsets, these can be found in garages and sheds in virtually unlimited quantities and are regularly available on the resale market. For the rest of us, the priority is on purchasing what works and performs best.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 02-22-24, 11:56 AM
icemilkcoffee 

I’m saying that the expert (Shimano) might know what they are doing.
How do you know they know what they are doing in this instance? Shimano is the 800lb Gorilla in the bike industry. But you know what, 800lb gorillas make mistakes too. How many failed Windows versions and failed internet and mobile products has Microsoft put out throughout the years? How about Boeing? Surely they know how to make planes without pop-off doors, right? GM was the top car maker in the world for at least 50 years. How many glaring mistakes and missed opportunities had GM made in those glory years? IBM was the biggest name in computing for several decades. Likewise lots of missteps anyone could point out in hindsight.
You don't even know why Shimano didn't come out with an anniversary groupset, how do you figure their reasoning must be correct when you don't know what their reasoning is?
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 02-22-24, 12:03 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
How do you figure their reasoning must be correct when you don't know what their reasoning is?
Brilliant.
Old 02-22-24, 12:35 PM
smd4

I'm beginning to think their reasoning not to produce a 50th DA set is a combination of a couple things:

(1) Lack of ability to bling-up black components; It's boring to even look at the R9720 "group" on-line.

(2) The decimation of the true groupset--A boxed set containing Shifters, Derailleurs; disc brake calipers, discs and a crankset is pretty boring. Being virtually all black doesn't help. See (1) above.
Likes For smd4:
Old 02-22-24, 01:48 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
I'm beginning to think their reasoning not to produce a 50th DA set is a combination of a couple things:

(1) Lack of ability to bling-up black components; It's boring to even look at the R9720 "group" on-line.

(2) The decimation of the true groupset--A boxed set containing Shifters, Derailleurs; disc brake calipers, discs and a crankset is pretty boring. Being virtually all black doesn't help. See (1) above.
Oh, these "Anniversary" groups are just a masterpiece of marketing – a fancy case and some minor graphics tweaks. Campagnolo did an 80th Anniversary group a while back, not exactly everyone's cup of tea, but the usual suspects seemed to lap it up.
https://road.cc/content/news/76868-c...upset-released
Old 02-22-24, 01:56 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Oh, these "Anniversary" groups are just a masterpiece of marketing – a fancy case and some minor graphics tweaks. Campagnolo did an 80th Anniversary group a while back, not exactly everyone's cup of tea, but the usual suspects seemed to lap it up.
https://road.cc/content/news/76868-c...upset-released
Yuck. Is the only thing that distinguishes it the red logo? That makes the group even uglier. But does seem to confirm my (1) above.

Maybe it went well with the black-and-red frames common at the time.

Last edited by smd4; 02-22-24 at 02:00 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.