Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Calling all men

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-24, 08:41 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
My point is that dodging an oncoming cyclist is easy enough that it shouldn't bother you, even if you think the person is clueless or on drugs etc. I also used to get pissed at cyclists using the wrong lane.
That's just a small-scale version of the drunk guy or disoriented old man driving the wrong way on the expressway. Sure, it's easy enough to dodge the cars coming the other way, until eventually your luck runs out and you hit a car head-on and kill a family of six in a fiery crash.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 02-23-24, 09:25 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
My point is that dodging an oncoming cyclist is easy enough that it shouldn't bother you, even if you think the person is clueless or on drugs etc. I also used to get pissed at cyclists using the wrong lane. Funny enough, my partner at work asked why cyclists didn't usually go the wrong way in traffic, so they could see the oncoming cars.
It should bother people there are clear demarkations. this is not a situation where it is a normal road and someone is playing with their life like an idiot this is a marked directional bike lane with some "protection" (posts that are easily damaged but still at least something) and the same is on the other side. It is easy to see and easy to understand. Someone doing something wrong that endangers other lives not OK in my book. Cars are not looking for them coming the wrong way, I am not expecting someone coming the wrong way at me especially worse when they aren't even using lights at night so here is someone coming at me no lights, wrong way on a narrow bike lane designed for one way traffic in my direction. Doesn't need to be there and isn't safe for anyone. It isn't about just saying "well I can dodgem that is not fair to anyone.
Old 02-24-24, 11:01 AM
McFlyRides

Bikes: SuperCaliber, SuperSix Evo

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
As a guy, I can see how the woman in the Guardian article was not happy about being slipstreamed by a stranger. The setting matters, of course. A big charity ride in a larger mixed group may give more opportunities to strike up conversations with random strangers. But on an isolated section of road an athlete doing a training session doesn't want to socialize or pull some recreational wheel sucker around.

My experience is most folks out exercising solo are not out to socialize. Runners are literally in their own world with their earbuds. Cyclists like me have specific goals (route, duration, intensity) for a training session, and I'm not going to throw that plan out just because another cyclist crosses my path. Usually a short greeting/wave/nod are sufficient. If stopped at an intersection for a minute you can compliment someone's bike and chat, but then wish each other a good ride and be on your way.

Also, as a middle aged guy, it's good to remember that I'm rather invisible to younger women. So if I were to say something other than "good day" in passing it would be like a ghost had materialized in front of them. Of course they would be startled.
Old 02-24-24, 11:50 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Although not while biking, I have accidently spoken to people, not noticing that they have earbuds in. The response is usually an exaggerated, pained and dramatic removal, followed by a friendly comment like "now, what the hell do you want?" The ideal response is something like "you dropped your wallet or phone back there".

It just isn't worth it to engage. Maybe they should have hi-viz colored ear phones that basically visually signal "STFU and leave me alone." I would buy them. They wouldn't even have to transmit audio.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 02-24-24, 01:01 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
It just isn't worth it to engage. Maybe they should have hi-viz colored ear phones that basically visually signal "STFU and leave me alone." I would buy them. They wouldn't even have to transmit audio.
I always wear bluetooth headphones while walking my dogs so that I can listen to NPR news -- and occasionally do a phone call. I have a pair of particularly irksome neighbor -- they will take the long way through the 'hood while driving in or out, snooping on people, and stopping -- usually right in the middle of the road, with no regard for other motorists -- to put down their windows and talk at people...The wife is particularly irritating -- a relentless snoop and gossip who does not recognize the words, "Well, I really have to go now!" Whenever I see them rolling up to me, I put my hand up near my headphones in that universal gesture that says "I'm on a phone call." And then I go back to All Things Considered.

If the battery in those headphones is ever out of juice, because I forgot to charge it, I'll just put 'em on anyway. Better safe than sorry.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-24-24, 02:56 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
What has the world come to, when talking to a stranger becomes a social faux pas?
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 02-24-24, 03:18 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by 905
On a recent ride I passed a woman by the side of the road. It happens. They are, after all, half the human race.

She'd been running. No matter, I'll talk to anyone if the opportunity presents itself: even non-cyclists.

People running are not out for a leisurely stroll. If you were riding up a moderately steep hill, would you want to chat with strangers? Isn’t it like interrupting them?

I also wonder if you tend to do this with women rather than men. If so, that brings up other questions.

Originally Posted by 905
She looked up, uncertain why I was talking to her. I noticed she appeared to be wearing headphones. She was also a bit younger than I'd first thought, maybe late teens or early 20s. She said "Pardon?"
It kind of sounds like you were a bit surprised by all this.

It’s not clear why you expected she was waiting to be able to follow conversation out of nowhere from a stranger. Seems kind of self centered.

There are situations where is socially acceptable to small talk with strangers. This doesn’t seem like one of them.

Last edited by njkayaker; 02-24-24 at 03:28 PM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 02-24-24, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
People running are not out for a leisurely stroll. If you were riding up a moderately steep hill, would you want to chat with strangers? Isn’t it like interrupting them?

There are situations where is socially acceptable to small talk with strangers. This doesn’t seem like one of them.

I also wonder if you tend to do this with women rather than men. If so, that brings up other questions.
1. I'm not silly enough to interrupt people when they're running. The woman was clearly finished with her run. Happy to admit I could have been more clear in my OP: "She'd been running" to me was past tense, but can be read as she was in the middle of running.
2. You're just making stuff up now. Wonder why that is.

Last edited by 905; 02-24-24 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-24-24, 03:34 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by 905
1. I'm not silly enough to interrupt people when they're running. The woman was clearly finished with her run. Happy to admit I could have been more clear in my OP: "She'd been running" to me was past tense, but admittedly can be read as she was in the middle of running.
Even if she had stopped running, what you did was odd. The latter part of your post shows some of the reasons why.

I suspect most men already know this even if it’s news to you.

Originally Posted by 905
She looked up, uncertain why I was talking to her. I noticed she appeared to be wearing headphones. She was also a bit younger than I'd first thought, maybe late teens or early 20s. She said "Pardon?"
This is the response you should have expected before you began nattering to her.

Last edited by njkayaker; 02-24-24 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-24-24, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by njkayaker
Even if she had stopped running, what you did was odd. The latter part of your post shows some of the reasons why.

I suspect most men already know this even if it’s news to you.
I suspect you haven't a clue.
It was only "odd" in the sense that, as someone said above, "It's a mind your own business world out there."
Old 02-24-24, 03:45 PM

njkayaker The only way to continue conversing with you is to keep going back to check your edits. I don't have time for this nonsense. I stand on the merits of my OP.

Last edited by 905; 02-24-24 at 03:46 PM. Reason: to tag
Old 02-24-24, 03:57 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
What has the world come to, when talking to a stranger becomes a social faux pas?
IIRC we drill into kids "Don't talk to strangers!"

Then again, we also say, "Don't trust people you meet on the internet" and "Don't get in a car with a stranger", but Uber and Lyft seem to have plenty of riders.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 02-24-24, 04:15 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by 905
1. I'm not silly enough to interrupt people when they're running. The woman was clearly finished with her run. Happy to admit I could have been more clear in my OP: "She'd been running" to me was past tense, but can be read as she was in the middle of running.
I only saw what NJ Kayaker had posted because you quoted it (I have him on ignore). But his post is 100% correct and spot-on. Please think about it.
Old 02-24-24, 04:17 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
I don't see an issue with women, as-such: People are less communicative with strangers in-general, these days. I do have a slight problem (my problem, I guess) with ear buds. I find it very awkward when I ask some stranger a question, and with some tension, they pull the ear buds from their ears and ask "What?" I am not defending my emotional response to this, but it makes me angry, so now, I look closely for ear buds before I attempt to talk to anyone. Myself, I can't see walking (or cycling) around in nature while being glued to the entertainment world.
Old 02-24-24, 04:39 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
On the MUP system I run and ride on, people are friendly to each other as they pass regardless of gender. I've even encountered young women about the age the OP described talk to me to compliment me on my shoes or bike. However If the OP stopped specifically to talk to the young lady, I can see how she would see that as odd. But I don't know why the OP felt like he needed to make a post to warn all men to be aware of situations like this. Most of us are situationally aware enough to know when or how to talk to strangers.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 02-24-24, 06:23 PM

I only saw what NJ Kayaker had posted because you quoted it (I have him on ignore). But his post is 100% correct and spot-on. Please think about it.
I would politely suggest you think about why you have him on ignore.
My patience is very limited for people who can't be bothered to carefully read the OP, and nonexistent for those who ascribe to me unevidenced motives.
Old 02-24-24, 08:45 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by 905
I would politely suggest you think about why you have him on ignore.
My patience is very limited for people who can't be bothered to carefully read the OP, and nonexistent for those who ascribe to me unevidenced motives.
Good point.

I'll put you on ignore. Please do the same for me.

PS: I carefully read the OP again, and find it even more condescending, disingenuous and offensive the second time around.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 02-24-24, 08:57 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Sometimes it can even be dangerous. Eons ago, when I was young, I was JRA on a country road when I noticed a woman at the roadside looking helplessly to her small motorcycle. I slowed almost to a stop and asked her if she needed anything. A second later a man came running, yelling to me to get the hell out of there and quit molesting his girlfriend. Looks like he was teaching her to ride, she went solo and the bike stalled. He looked violent and unstable, so I didn't even bother to argue with him, just continued riding. Back home, I wondered if the crazy guy could take it against her too, but there was nothing I could do about it.
Old 02-24-24, 09:22 PM

Good point.

I'll put you on ignore. Please do the same for me.

PS: I carefully read the OP again, and find it even more condescending, disingenuous and offensive the second time around.
In which case I can now safely say, you're an idiot. (Which only leaves out "disingenuous". See what I did there?)

BTW I put people on 'ignore' the old fashioned, grownup way: I simply ignore them when they've earned that honour.

Last edited by 905; 02-25-24 at 04:08 AM. Reason: (added parenthetical commentary)
Old 02-24-24, 09:32 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 410 Posts
I appreciate appreciate your comments, it has gotten very much easier for me in that I look my age 73 and can come on as gently helpful in any situation.
Old 02-25-24, 03:22 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
My wife has stated on numerous occasions that whether she is riding her bike on the road or walking the dog on the trail, she becomes very uncomfortable when a male is closing in on her, or if on a bike, hanging back behind her. She also carries pepper spray, so you’ve been warned.

As a result, I give women a wide berth and if I am slowly overtaking one on a bike, I will make an effort to get around her quickly and not engage in any greeting unless they do first.
I mean no offense to you Bob, but this makes me truly sad. I guess I live in the illusion of a civil society. I've visited Seattle, SF, LA, Portland, and seen a few wackos shrieking at passing cars, but for the most part, we all just want to get along, right?

"A hostile person lives in a hostile world,
A loving person lives in a loving world,
Everyone you meet is your mirror." -Ken Keyes, Astoria, OR

Last edited by calamarichris; 02-25-24 at 03:27 AM.
Old 02-25-24, 11:22 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,643 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
I mean no offense to you Bob, but this makes me truly sad. I guess I live in the illusion of a civil society. I've visited Seattle, SF, LA, Portland, and seen a few wackos shrieking at passing cars, but for the most part, we all just want to get along, right?

"A hostile person lives in a hostile world,
A loving person lives in a loving world,
Everyone you meet is your mirror." -Ken Keyes, Astoria, OR
I believe you will find this more feeling very common amongst women in general. Being less strong than males, they fear being victimized and rightly so, with so many stories in the media about kidnapping, **** and murder. It’s not right they live in fear, but it is an unfortunate reality. Ask any woman about walking alone on a city street at night and being followed by a male adult, and I would bet 9 times out of 10 you will get a feeling of extreme uncomfortableness.