Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

2023 la vuelta: straight-no chaser *spoilers because you're too lazy to avoid them*

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

2023 la vuelta: straight-no chaser *spoilers because you're too lazy to avoid them*

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-23, 11:40 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 641 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Interesting. I like the Alpecin story of building a team from a regional to Continental to World Tour, and delivering results at the highest level, by multiple riders. The team has the current road, CX, MTB (XCC), and gravel World Champions.
The story is great, and I do like MVDP. On the flip side, it seems to me that they got away with a LOT of unsavory tactics in the Tour (yes, I think Phillipsen is an ass), and I've seen some of the same over-aggressiveness manifest in la Vuelta. I'm fine with holding your spot and craftily slotting into a tight opening in a sprint, but muscling other riders into bad spots and closing competitors off into the barriers reeks of poor sportsmanship. What Alpecin did in the Tour was, imo, very much worse than what Sagan got DQ'd for when Cav tried to squeeze past him. Sagan reflexively raised his elbow to maintain his own position, whereas Alpecin appeared to knowingly and deliberately pull off into the line of competitors to cause them to hit the brakes, and Phillipsen used the excuse of following lines on the road rather than the direction of the barriers to cut others off from challenging, pulled directly in front of a rider during an intermediate sprint...AND then, whilst being unassailably ahead in points, had the audacity to whine when riders on other teams wouldn't help him pull back breakaways. I haven't seen Groves do anything wrong himself, but I've observed his leadouts knocking other teams out of position in the final 5k. Makes it really hard to like them.
Old 08-30-23, 12:02 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
The story is great, and I do like MVDP. On the flip side, it seems to me that they got away with a LOT of unsavory tactics in the Tour (yes, I think Phillipsen is an ass), and I've seen some of the same over-aggressiveness manifest in la Vuelta. I'm fine with holding your spot and craftily slotting into a tight opening in a sprint, but muscling other riders into bad spots and closing competitors off into the barriers reeks of poor sportsmanship. What Alpecin did in the Tour was, imo, very much worse than what Sagan got DQ'd for when Cav tried to squeeze past him. Sagan reflexively raised his elbow to maintain his own position, whereas Alpecin appeared to knowingly and deliberately pull off into the line of competitors to cause them to hit the brakes, and Phillipsen used the excuse of following lines on the road rather than the direction of the barriers to cut others off from challenging, pulled directly in front of a rider during an intermediate sprint...AND then, whilst being unassailably ahead in points, had the audacity to whine when riders on other teams wouldn't help him pull back breakaways. I haven't seen Groves do anything wrong himself, but I've observed his leadouts knocking other teams out of position in the final 5k. Makes it really hard to like them.
The sprint game is physical and ruthless. It always has been. In my experience as a sprinter, you really don't have time to think about the ramifications and ripples of your every movement like a chess game. You just react to the situation, and the hunger to get to the line first sometimes becomes desperation. That was in Cat 3s and masters. I can't imagine the speed at which it all happens for the pros. All that said, my opinion about the team is not based on Philipsen as heavily as it seems to be for you. I'm a fan of VDP from his wide-ranging talent, as well as Gaze, Pieterse, and Alvarado from CX and MTB. Yes, Philipsen seems like a bit of a whiner. I remember feeling that way about Cavendish, too. With both, the speed and ability to find the line is/was undeniable.
Old 08-31-23, 02:24 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
a tire's width away from the horrible prediction actually coming true for ganna on stage cinco. grrr.

stage seis looks like a blast. team bora has been berry berry quiet. would seem to be tailor-made for either higuita or kämna. kämna.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 08-31-23, 07:12 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
No predictions, but a 41-rider break with Seven minutes? All the supposed "GC contenders" being four minutes down at the end? Wouldn't that make for an interesting two weeks!

I am wondering if Jumbo isn't just worn out ... threes Grands Tours for Sepp Kuss, so much dependence on Vingegaard after he just went all-out in the Tour, Roglic looking tired .... I know it doesn't matter how strong Evanapoel looks in the first week, it matters who has the legs in the final week .... but the pace is so hard, can people "ride into form" like they used to?

I would dearly love to see Sepp Kuss in red with a three-minute lead.
Old 08-31-23, 08:29 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Originally Posted by diphthong
a tire's width away from the horrible prediction actually coming true for ganna on stage cinco. grrr.

stage seis looks like a blast. team bora has been berry berry quiet. would seem to be tailor-made for either higuita or kämna. kämna.
Oh that was great! I'm thinking Ganna legit has MSR on his mind for next season ... I was thinking kämna for stage three but was too weak to post such a prediction - only to see him and Caruso eventually caught late!
Originally Posted by Maelochs
No predictions, but a 41-rider break with Seven minutes? All the supposed "GC contenders" being four minutes down at the end? Wouldn't that make for an interesting two weeks!

GC Kuss!!! With Dylan and Tratnik!? Three and a half minutes now, kinda hope tratnik launches Sepp.

Pretty stoked to see Hugh in that group. Nice.

Regards to Alpecin USAZorro I agree with the vibes. Hard not to though with the young scrappy team - Groves first stage win here three of them ride across the line celebrating, which was fun. Too bad about Philipsen's transgressions I still really like him. Can't believe Jayco let Groves go, he's a massive talent.
Old 08-31-23, 10:30 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts

I am wondering if Jumbo isn't just worn out ... threes Grands Tours for Sepp Kuss, so much dependence on Vingegaard after he just went all-out in the Tour, Roglic looking tired .... I know it doesn't matter how strong Evanapoel looks in the first week, it matters who has the legs in the final week .... but the pace is so hard, can people "ride into form" like they used to?

Good Lord, Jeane Dixon. Close enough. Run out quick and buy some lottery tickets. Particularly if you can wait until the first 2 or 3 balls are drawn before you commit!

Yeah, too bad Sepp is plum tuckered out and couldn't catch fresh Lenny.

I haven't seen the stage, just the results on PCS, but jeez.
Old 08-31-23, 10:49 AM
GrainBrain

Always a joy to watch Sepp win!

For the record high fives are the most important thing in cycling; and he did spray the official behind him; and promptly finished the bottle. Absolute legend.
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 08-31-23, 11:12 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

I love this! Sepp gives so much of himself for his team leaders, day after day, year after year. Getting the chance to fly on his own and take a stage win is well deserved.
Old 08-31-23, 11:14 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

I don't think Jumbo is worn out yet.
Old 08-31-23, 12:14 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

congrats to sepp!
Likes For diphthong:
Old 09-01-23, 05:17 AM
GrainBrain

Originally Posted by Eric F
I don't think Jumbo is worn out yet.
That was wild to watch Roglic, Vingegaard and Valter on the final few kilometers! Vingegaard and Valter had real pain faces with Roglic looking like he's in a Sunday fun ride

Would be great to see Sepp in red this weekend, Vingegaard seemed disappointed he didn't bag the jersey. Stage 10 TT seems very technical and a perfect chance for Evenpoel to snatch big time.
Old 09-01-23, 04:40 PM
GrainBrain

That was a sweet win for Geoffrey Soupe!
Old 09-02-23, 12:12 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

stage ocho...looks like a gigglefest for the last 2/3rd. teams uae, jv and the bora boys will all make their moves/protect their ass(ets). martinez needs more daylight between himself and the big boys.
a few other positions to cover on gc.
looks like a good one for bardet or tdg to take a flier for a stage win. would love to see bernal go out on a solo escapade for the stage win but let's go with the olde war horse tdg.
Old 09-02-23, 08:29 AM
GrainBrain

Well degendt and Bardet both made the break ... Let's see what happens. I'm more interested to see exactly what Lazkano is up to ... ?

I don't think I've ever heard Bardet speak English until now ... let's not make this a thing, I'll listen in their native language and look for the translation. Though maybe they want more control over their words...

Glad to hear Thymen is doing ok - he lost a couple teeth and a collar bone but apparently he had breakfast with the team this morning.

Can someone explain why Lazkano has a black jersey on PCS? Is it that combination score thing? I thought that wasn't a thing anymore?

Last edited by GrainBrain; 09-02-23 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-03-23, 03:00 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by GrainBrain
Well degendt and Bardet both made the break ... Let's see what happens. I'm more interested to see exactly what Lazkano is up to ... ?

I don't think I've ever heard Bardet speak English until now ... let's not make this a thing, I'll listen in their native language and look for the translation. Though maybe they want more control over their words...

Glad to hear Thymen is doing ok - he lost a couple teeth and a collar bone but apparently he had breakfast with the team this morning.

Can someone explain why Lazkano has a black jersey on PCS? Is it that combination score thing? I thought that wasn't a thing anymore?
bardet's english better than many:

these guys are absolutely shredding on a great socal stretch.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 09-03-23, 06:52 AM
GrainBrain

bardet's english better than many:

these guys are absolutely shredding on a great socal stretch.
That was great, thank you! Watched the whole thing, almost choked on my breakfast when they met that passing flatbed truck! I had noticed Bardet starting to mentor the young riders - first Arensmen now vermaerke. Vermaerke hopefully will have his day soon in the upcoming years, he's getting much better. Infact he's had his results this whole year, just recently in Deutschland and Norway. Only 22? Jeez.

Someone needs to spend time with Mas doing these mountain bombs. Gosh there was instant separation for him after the JV group started the final descent yesterday.
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 09-04-23, 12:49 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by GrainBrain
That was great, thank you! Watched the whole thing, almost choked on my breakfast when they met that passing flatbed truck! I had noticed Bardet starting to mentor the young riders - first Arensmen now vermaerke. Vermaerke hopefully will have his day soon in the upcoming years, he's getting much better. Infact he's had his results this whole year, just recently in Deutschland and Norway. Only 22? Jeez.

Someone needs to spend time with Mas doing these mountain bombs. Gosh there was instant separation for him after the JV group started the final descent yesterday.
having ridden these videoed roads multiple times in both directions, simply amazes me how fast they go and their risk/reward calculations on the fly. every year, we hear about multiple professional riders
getting hit/taken out by vehicles while training. after watching this video and other similar ones, surprised it's not more. and this is in the land of america where the bike isn't always expected on steep mountain roads.
Old 09-04-23, 11:03 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

hoping ganna and remco have some decent form and handling tomorrow with the itt.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 09-05-23, 01:58 AM
GrainBrain

GC Kuss Time to transform into TT Kuss GC Kuss
GC Kuss
I am wondering when Bissegger or Sobrero will get their dues GC Kuss

Last edited by GrainBrain; 09-05-23 at 02:05 AM.
Old 09-05-23, 10:47 AM
GrainBrain

GC Kuss GC Kuss GC Kuss GC Kuss GC Kuss GC Kuss
​​​​​​
“I think [Jumbo-Visma] told GC Kuss[Kuss] to just go all out today to try and not lose too much time because I think they want to play the GC Kuss game with three leaders. I think he did a very good job and, like I [Evenepoel] said, a big chapeau to him GC Kuss because I was pretty surprised when I saw this finish.
GC Kuss GC Kuss GC Kuss GC Kuss GC Kuss GC Kuss
Old 09-05-23, 11:08 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

hoping ganna and remco have some decent form and handling tomorrow with the itt.
Did they live up to your expectations?

I would like to think that Kuss did enough to earn the leader role, but the real determination will be in the upcoming climbing stages. We know he can climb, but can he climb with the big boys all the way to the end with a target on his back? Vingo's (unsurprising) TT performance may have relegated him to playing a supporting role to Kuss and Roglic, but he's not out of it yet. most likely. I'm still doubtful that Jumbo will truly give Kuss the leader role. For now, Remco - and everyone else with podium dreams - has the soul-crushing task of keeping watch over 3 Jumbos.

Wild-ass prediction...Jumbo podium sweep.
Old 09-05-23, 03:25 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts
"The leader role" is too simplistic. The two or occasionally three leader thing CAN be distilled to something as banal as Jonas work for Sepp now, and that may end up being the case, but that's playing checkers instead of chess if you just go there out of the chute. Lots of things can evolve on the road. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Rather than going all blue train and having JV shred the peloton on the next big uphill as if that was the team decision, why not mark other contenders and start doing some 1-, 2-, 3-man rabbit punching?

Particularly with the other 5 members of the team being able to carry some weight, I don't think we'll see a big rush to declare an heir. Let's hope it's not a silly mechanical that forces them to play a hand.
Likes For slcbob:
Old 09-05-23, 04:31 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by slcbob
"The leader role" is too simplistic. The two or occasionally three leader thing CAN be distilled to something as banal as Jonas work for Sepp now, and that may end up being the case, but that's playing checkers instead of chess if you just go there out of the chute. Lots of things can evolve on the road. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Rather than going all blue train and having JV shred the peloton on the next big uphill as if that was the team decision, why not mark other contenders and start doing some 1-, 2-, 3-man rabbit punching?

Particularly with the other 5 members of the team being able to carry some weight, I don't think we'll see a big rush to declare an heir. Let's hope it's not a silly mechanical that forces them to play a hand.
I agree that the scenario is no longer the typical ride-for-the-leader format for Jumbo. This game is probably going to be very different than we are used to seeing, and there's zero doubt that Jumbo's game plan is going to be carefully engineered for the win. Win for whom, is the question still to be answered. As we have seen in other GTs, it's likely going to come down to who performs in the mountains, and who struggles. One thing for sure, Remco will suffer. A lot. I'm here for the fireworks.
Old 09-05-23, 07:39 PM
GrainBrain

Soler, Vlasov delivered very good TTs along with Almeida. Ayuso waiting to come good. Lots of riding still to go, Remco's really going to get beat up by every team. I have a good feeling Roglic's always been choice number one, he's in super strong form. Strong enough he could probably pull a lot for Kuss without sacrificing top spot- but I don't think he'd wait around for long if there's issues. Who knows - there was a vibe among the team after Kuss' win that showed in the immediate post interview with Roglic Vingegaard and Valter. They seemed willing to place it all on GC Kuss
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 09-05-23, 08:22 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

it would definitely be a feel-good scenario if team jv can keep kuss in red all the way to madrid. some biggie climbs and that crazy stage 20 loom large.

if any team can do it (with roglic and jonas as super-domestiques) it's jv.

soler has been holding steady as has the other uae boys, martinez, the jv boys, mas, remco...if the stages before the angliru (stage 17) don't thin the herd/focus, the angliru definitely will.

**horrible prediction afoot** final gc podium...kuss, ayuso, remco in that order.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.