Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

First Cyclocross race

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-15, 08:39 AM
curtiseddie
Deadrise & Derailleurs

Bikes: Schwinn Moab, Focus Mares AX, Kona Kahuna DL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First Cyclocross race

I participated in my first CX race yesterday. It was the #6 Bubba Cross race, at Queeny Park, and it was totally awesome!

I kept hearing people say that cyclocross is "suffering for an hour." I also kept thinking, "It's a bike race. Bikes are fun to ride." Well, both are true. It was fun, but it was grueling. I even witnessed a fellow rider throwing up on the side of the course, mid race. When I finished I felt like I had just sprinted a half marathon. My back hurt, my quads were on fire, my hands were a little numb. But, if you asked me (a couple hours later) if I would redo the race right then, I would immediately put my helmet on.

As it was my first race ever I cannot compare the course to any other, but I thought it was very well done. There were some really cool 'flow-y' sections and some great fast turns that tested my amateur cornering skills. There was one hill section that after the second trip up, began to look like Everest. I was surprised by the fact there was no dismount obstacles on the course (unless you count the mountainous hill, that I admittedly ran up on the last two laps).

Overall, I placed on the low end of my category, but I finished. And that was important to me. I definitely came away from the race an improved cyclist. I pushed my bike and my skills further than I ever have. I became less afraid to attempt a turn faster than I thought I could. I also recognized that I need to train more if I want to improve my place on the results.

But, the most important thing is I had fun and I can't wait till my next race!

Thank you Big Shark. Thank you, to all the volunteers. Thank you, to all the friendly people and fellow riders. Everyone made my experience a good one. ...The weather was nice too.
Old 11-09-15, 09:57 AM
HappyGills

Bikes: Origin 8 SS , Trek 3 series MTB and a couple vintage project bikes

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am doing my first race in two weekends. Great to read positive experiences! Are you doing anymore before the season is out?
Old 11-09-15, 01:14 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 530 Post(s)
Quoted: 3280 Post(s)
Liked 4,020 Times in 1,483 Posts
Great report. Glad you enjoyed it.

My favorite description of cyclocross is from a blurb BikeSnobNYC wrote for Bicylcing Magazine a few years ago: "what it feels like is being dropped from a helicopter into the Florida Everglades with your bicycle on your shoulder. You have 45 minutes to escape before the gators eat you alive, and for some reason, even though you're in the Sunshine State, it's 37 degrees and sleeting." Sounds fun, right?
Old 11-09-15, 02:30 PM
FrozenK

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Most course designers will throw at least one set of barriers because people expect them, but you don't really need them. I'd be a bit bummed to do a cross race where I didn't have to dismount at all though (mostly because I have a decent dismount/remount and I usually gain on people doing it)

Learning when to ride a steep section and when to run it (or walk it) is a skill too. Usually riding is faster because you don't have to remount, but not always. And a lot of times you spend less energy running than riding up a steep climb. Then again, when you ride up a section the rest of the field is walking the crowd goes wild. That's worth the effort for me
Old 11-09-15, 03:35 PM
curtiseddie
Deadrise & Derailleurs

Bikes: Schwinn Moab, Focus Mares AX, Kona Kahuna DL

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are five more in the series. I am planning on doing at least 2 more.
Old 11-10-15, 12:22 PM
Hydrate
2 Wheels > 4

Bikes: Just one more

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I bet if you do 2 more this year you will be looking at the whole series next year. Because when the season ends all you will want is for next fall to come so you can have fun suffering again.
Old 11-10-15, 01:17 PM
justin1138

Bikes: yes...

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Hydrate
I bet if you do 2 more this year you will be looking at the whole series next year. Because when the season ends all you will want is for next fall to come so you can have fun suffering again.
this +1000. I'm already trying to figure out how I can do more races next season.