Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Road Wheels/Tires and Gravel Wheels/Tires

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-18, 02:15 PM
motorthings

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

I am currently running a set of Reynolds Assault SLG disc tubeless wheels on my Stigmata with 25c Hutchinson Fusion tires as my road setup, and the stock WTB asym wheels with 35c Schwalbe G-One Allround as my gravel wheels.
I was looking to get a bit wider rubber for the road setup, and couldn't find anything I liked in 28c tubeless tires. Assault SLG's are not intended for anything over 28, and 25 are the limit of what is considered ideal. I settled on 30c Donelly Tubeless Xplor paired with a set of wider rims to put them on, but haven't tried them out yet.

I am trying to figure out what to settle on for my road/gravel setups. I'm tempted to throw the CDG's on the new wider rims, put the G-Ones on the stock wheels, and selling the Assault SLG's. I don't do a lot of faster group road rides anymore, but don't want to give up any speed I don't have to, and am wondering if any of you are running 30c (or larger) tubeless tires on the road and have feedback to share about the speed/effort differences.

What is your ideal 2 wheelset/tire setup for fast tubeless road and tubeless gravel?
Old 05-17-18, 03:14 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
With a good tire, its mostly about weight and suppleness in that size.. 28mm is about the fastest compromise for me for most road conditions (short of sprinting to the flag). I tend to ride 28 or 32mm slicks on the road and hardpack, 40mm for gravel and singletrack.

My road tires are Conti set up ghetto tubeless. When they wear out, I'll probably do a 30mm G-One speed for the road.
Old 05-18-18, 09:07 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by motorthings
I am currently running a set of Reynolds Assault SLG disc tubeless wheels on my Stigmata with 25c Hutchinson Fusion tires as my road setup, and the stock WTB asym wheels with 35c Schwalbe G-One Allround as my gravel wheels.
I was looking to get a bit wider rubber for the road setup, and couldn't find anything I liked in 28c tubeless tires. Assault SLG's are not intended for anything over 28, and 25 are the limit of what is considered ideal. I settled on 30c Donelly Tubeless Xplor paired with a set of wider rims to put them on, but haven't tried them out yet.

I am trying to figure out what to settle on for my road/gravel setups. I'm tempted to throw the CDG's on the new wider rims, put the G-Ones on the stock wheels, and selling the Assault SLG's. I don't do a lot of faster group road rides anymore, but don't want to give up any speed I don't have to, and am wondering if any of you are running 30c (or larger) tubeless tires on the road and have feedback to share about the speed/effort differences.

What is your ideal 2 wheelset/tire setup for fast tubeless road and tubeless gravel?
In my very limited experience of watching my buddies with tubeless road is that the high PSI of road tires doesn't work well for tubeless. All of them that tried it went back to tubes because it was just so much easier and less messy.
Old 05-20-18, 11:15 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I'm using several tires in the 28 to 40 range. Each has their pros and cons.

700x28 Vittoria Corsa G: race tire fast with a comfortable, plush ride. Too fragile for gravel. Measure 27.8mm wide.
700x28 Continental 4000 S Ii: almost as fast as the Vittoria Corsa, very plush ride and capable on crushed limestone and smooth gravel. Not tubeless. Measure 31-32mm wide, depending on rim.
700x30 Schwalbe G-One: almost as fast rolling on pavement as the 4000 S, very plush ride, truly capable on most firm gravel, a superb 50/50 pavement/gravel tire, truly tubeless. Some caution and restraint needed on fast turns on gravel. Measure about 32mm wide.
700x38 Hutchinson Overide: as fast rolling on pavement as the Schwalbe, very plush ride, truly capable on any gravel, including soft variable conditions. A superb 50/50 pavement/gravel tire, truly tubeless. Some caution and restraint needed on fast turns on gravel if installed in the front. I use this on the rear on all gravel events. Measure about 39mm wide.
700x40 Vittoria Terreno Dry: almost as fast rolling on pavement as the Hutchinson Overide, very plush ride, truly capable on any gravel, truly tubeless. No special caution or restraint needed on fast turns on gravel. I use this on the front on all gravel events. Measure about 41mm wide.

Currently I have the Continent 4000 S II on my Canyon Endurace CF SL for chipseal and crushed limestone. I might also cover shorter gravel sections while on rural routes while using the 4000 S, it's reasonably tough.

I'm using the Overide on the back and the Terreno Dry on the front of my Raleigh Roker for gravel rides and events. This combination can cover any dry gravel road and some single track and grass if conditions are dry. This combination is also reasonably fast on pavement. Most gravel rides in my area include 10 or miles of pavement, so pavement performance is always a consideration.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 05-21-18 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-20-18, 04:38 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
based on experience going from a 28c GP4000sii to 38c Pasela PT folding.
My next multi use drop bar bike will have full carbon wheels and 700x38 panaracer gravel king slicks tubeless or Compass 38c extralight tubed. Depending on gravel and how much gravel riding stock wheels on SK's or MSO's

Of course I have a Supersix hi-mod for dedicated pavement riding. Which makes running the 28c (30mm) GP4000sii on gravel bikes for fast pavement rides a silly notion.
Old 05-20-18, 04:51 PM
ph0rk

Bikes: A hauler, a commuter, and a steamroller.

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
My next multi use drop bar bike will have full carbon wheels and 700x38 panaracer gravel king slicks tubeless or Compass 38c extralight tubed.

I don't think the gravelking file tread comes in anything larger than a 32. Shikoros and supple vitesses do, though.
Old 05-20-18, 05:08 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by ph0rk
I don't think the gravelking file tread comes in anything larger than a 32.
700x38 is new, there is always the 650 1.7/ 1.9 at a weight penalty, but the 700x38 is 320 gram!!!!! while Compass Barlow Pass TC extralight is 380gram. I am guessing the GK will have a very short life.

https://www.panaracer.com/lineup/gravel.html
Old 05-21-18, 09:49 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
28 mm tubeless = IRC.
Old 05-21-18, 04:54 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by motorthings
Assault SLG's are not intended for anything over 28, and 25 are the limit of what is considered ideal
Is that right? I guess I didn't RTFM - I have Assault SLGs and I've been running 30mm G-One Speed/S-Ones on them for the last year. No complaints at all.

Edit: on the Reynolds site, and on their Tire Size-Pressure Chart (pdf), they indicate a recommended max tire size of 40mm for a rim with an internal rim width of 17mm. Where did you see these 25/28mm figures?

Last edited by WhyFi; 05-21-18 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-22-18, 07:29 AM
motorthings

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Is that right? I guess I didn't RTFM - I have Assault SLGs and I've been running 30mm G-One Speed/S-Ones on them for the last year. No complaints at all.

Edit: on the Reynolds site, and on their Tire Size-Pressure Chart (pdf), they indicate a recommended max tire size of 40mm for a rim with an internal rim width of 17mm. Where did you see these 25/28mm figures?
Actually you are right, and I am an idiot...the info I had was about aero, not safety. Apparently you can run up to 34-35c tires on the Assault SLGs safely (according to an email from a Reynolds support rep), they just won't help you win that TT stage of the omnium.

I put a set of Donelly X'PLOR CDG 30c on the Assaults over the weekend, and so far they are working really well for road and light gravel. Now to move the 35c Schwalbe G-One Allround over to my new Reynolds ATR 700s.
Old 05-22-18, 08:13 AM
motorthings

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
28 mm tubeless = IRC.
Those look like a great option, thanks!
Old 05-22-18, 08:29 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I'm using several tires in the 28 to 40 range. Each has their pros and cons.

700x28 Vittoria Corsa G: race tire fast with a comfortable, plush ride. Too fragile for gravel. Measure 27.8mm wide.
700x28 Continental 4000 S Ii: almost as fast as the Vittoria Corsa, very plush ride and capable on crushed limestone and smooth gravel. Not tubeless. Measure 31-32mm wide, depending on rim.
700x30 Schwalbe G-One: almost as fast rolling on pavement as the 4000 S, very plush ride, truly capable on most firm gravel, a superb 50/50 pavement/gravel tire, truly tubeless. Some caution and restraint needed on fast turns on gravel. Measure about 32mm wide.
700x38 Hutchinson Overide: as fast rolling on pavement as the Schwalbe, very plush ride, truly capable on any gravel, including soft variable conditions. A superb 50/50 pavement/gravel tire, truly tubeless. Some caution and restraint needed on fast turns on gravel if installed in the front. I use this on the rear on all gravel events. Measure about 39mm wide.
700x40 Vittoria Terreno Dry: almost as fast rolling on pavement as the Hutchinson Overide, very plush ride, truly capable on any gravel, truly tubeless. No special caution or restraint needed on fast turns on gravel. I use this on the front on all gravel events. Measure about 41mm wide.

Currently I have the Continent 4000 S II on my Canyon Endurace CF SL for chipseal and crushed limestone. I might also cover shorter gravel sections while on rural routes while using the 4000 S, it's reasonably tough.

I'm using the Overide on the back and the Terreno Dry on the front of my Raleigh Roker for gravel rides and events. This combination can cover any dry gravel road and some single track and grass if conditions are dry. This combination is also reasonably fast on pavement. Most gravel rides in my area include 10 or miles of pavement, so pavement performance is always a consideration.

Thanks, nice comparison! Are the comments mostly in the 15-20mph range? Rolling resistance is key in this range, and sounds like those tires are all comparable. In the 20-30+mph range it’s a little harder to keep a 40mm tire going – mostly because of weight (although aero starts to come into play).

I like how you use the override rear and Terreno front. Knobs tend to wear pretty fast on road and hard pack, and I like that there is no tread distortion when I’m trying to accelerate.

… the 700x38 is 320 gram!!!!! while Compass Barlow Pass TC extralight is 380gram. I am guessing the GK will have a very short life.

That is crazy light. I wonder if their listed specification is right? 120 grams lighter than the SK? Reminds me of their Pari-Moto which is a notoriously fragile and cut prone tire.

Last edited by chas58; 05-22-18 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-23-18, 05:00 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
Thanks, nice comparison! Are the comments mostly in the 15-20mph range? Rolling resistance is key in this range, and sounds like those tires are all comparable. In the 20-30+mph range it’s a little harder to keep a 40mm tire going – mostly because of weight (although aero starts to come into play).

I like how you use the override rear and Terreno front. Knobs tend to wear pretty fast on road and hard pack, and I like that there is no tread distortion when I’m on pavement.

Yes, 99.9% of the time knobs are not really needed on gravel if the rider knows when to maintain some restraint and if conditions are dry. I've also used the Donnelly MSO and the WTB Riddler. These are significantly slower on pavement and these also require some restraint on very soft gravel. The Overide is supple with a grippy compound and it can climb a 15% hill with loose gravel if I stay seated. At 40psi it creates a large enough contact area to be useful. The same can be said of the Vittoria Terreno Dry. The Terreno also has shoulder knobs which improve stability and traction on turns.

Both tires are moderately durable and tough. These aren't as robust as an expedition touring tire like the Schwalbe Marathon, but the hold up well for about 1500 miles.

I've been able to hold an 18 mph pace for about a dozen miles on flat gravel roads if the gravel is very firm while using the Overide & Terreno combination. However, trying to keep up with a group of road bikes on pavement requires a big effort. I've used my Roker on group rides on pavement, it requires about 10-20% more power than my Canyon Endurace with the 700x28 Continental 4000 S II.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 05-23-18 at 05:44 AM.
Old 05-23-18, 05:56 AM
ph0rk

Bikes: A hauler, a commuter, and a steamroller.

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
700x38 is new, there is always the 650 1.7/ 1.9 at a weight penalty, but the 700x38 is 320 gram!!!!! while Compass Barlow Pass TC extralight is 380gram. I am guessing the GK will have a very short life.

Neat, not like they weren't already selling similar tires to other distributors.

If the GK doesn't last long, check out the Shikoro. Comes in the same size, similar tanwall color, and meant to last longer.

Looks like in both cases Panaracer doesn't bother with a 35mm slick/file tread. Weird.
Old 05-23-18, 08:20 AM
intransit1217

Bikes: 2 Masi giramondo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Just had my lbs lace up a pair of i9 hubs, sapim spokes on hed belgium plus rims with bontrager aw2 tubeless for my road set up and they totally rock!

Plans to convert the stock wtb i9 wheels to tubeless with panaracer gravel king tubeless for my dirty wheels.