Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Day 2 Silver Comet & Chief Ladiga Trail

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-19, 06:46 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

I really enjoy multi day rides. They are like working educational adventures for me.

Second day on the Chief Ladiga and Silver Comet Trail complete! I essentially retraced Day 1 but today was Anniston to Smyrna. Not as many photos as I focused on getting back and avoiding late day Atlanta traffic. Legs felt pretty good. Not fast but a good steady pace.

The mountain photo is Cheaha in morning sunlight.

The comment book is located at the State line in a mailbox. Someone must have gotten the idea from Bird Island ???

The other photos are in a small town called Rockmart. I thought the news crews heard that I was coming through and wanted to get me on the news!! It turns out they are filming a movie called Irresistible starring Steve Carrell. It’s supposed to be set in Madison, WI. If you look at the writing on the vans it mentions WI. Supposed to be a political satire.

Back home after a 4 hour drive.
Piedmont AL, home of the Chief Ladiga Trail

Cheaha Mountains in morning sunlight

An interesting recent entry in the comment book

Comment book is located in a mailbox at the State Line

The mailbox

Start of the hilly section of the trail

Some of the hills in the background. There were some 13% and 14% hills.

News trucks in Rockmart

Equipment for the movie
Old 05-16-19, 08:12 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4422 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 3,028 Posts
Cool pictures! How many miles did you ride?
Old 05-16-19, 09:39 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Ladiga and Silver Comet are nice to do every now and then. Silver Comet is much nicer since
all the overpasses were put in so very few road crossings now compared with 8-10 yrs ago.
The little towns in Alabama are doing a pretty good job of mowing the weeds and blowing
off the pavement. They can't do much about the roots though. Smyrna and Atlanta have
done a good job extending the trail past its Smyrna endpoint, you can keep on going at
least 10 miles further.
Old 05-17-19, 07:26 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
Cool pictures! How many miles did you ride?
It was almost 200 miles over the two days.
Old 05-17-19, 07:33 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by sch
Ladiga and Silver Comet are nice to do every now and then. Silver Comet is much nicer since
all the overpasses were put in so very few road crossings now compared with 8-10 yrs ago.
The little towns in Alabama are doing a pretty good job of mowing the weeds and blowing
off the pavement. They can't do much about the roots though. Smyrna and Atlanta have
done a good job extending the trail past its Smyrna endpoint, you can keep on going at
least 10 miles further.
Agreed......they were actually out mowing as I was traveling through. They are having a TT on the Piedmont Jacksonville section today so I was guessing they wanted it in nice shape. But there were also prison laborers working on the grass outside of Rockmart.

Tree roots bots are going to be an issue for CLT long term. They had marked the bumps for the TT but they will get a lot worse over time.

They’ve really poured the money into the SCT. Very impressive infrastructure! Hopefully some of the dollars I paid for the 15% taxes for my hotel in Smyrna are going to the SCT!!!

Do you know if there are any hotels near the connector east of the Smyrna Trailhead?