Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Stolen Bike

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-16, 01:55 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,635 Times in 946 Posts
Stolen Bike

My Trek 3700 was stolen this morning. This is hard to write. But part of this is due to my own inattention. So I will describe the incident. I'm going to check CL over the next couple of months for it. Maybe, just maybe it will show up. My stolen Trek 7.1 did a couple of years ago.

My plan was to go for a 30-35 mile ride this morning. Nice easy loop around town. Stopped at McDs for breakfast. My bike was locked with a cheap cable lock around a street post and a U-lock around the frame and rear tire.

Not ideal? Well I was sitting where I could see the bike out the window. I like to take a leisurely breakfast sipping my coffee, eating slowly and reading. I glanced up from time to time and the bike was still there. I took maybe 30 min, then left.

When I stepped out the bike was gone! I realized I hadn't glanced out the window in the last 15 min or so. Dam*! This is the third time in six years. One recovered.

I called the police, turned a report. I keep the SN with me so they have that. Registered it with the Stolen Bike Index as well.

https://bikeindex.org/stolen

Afterwards the police offered me a ride home. Which I accepted. It's not very comfortable in the back of the new police cars. Then I got the hybrid out and rode back out to the McDs neighborhood to see if I could spot the 3700 in the likely hiding spots. I didn't.

I will be riding the hybrid for a while. Not planning on buying another Mtn bike right away. I will within a month tho.

If I find the bike again I will come back and let you know what happens. Mainly this is just a rant and warning. Better luck to the everybody else.
Old 12-18-16, 02:10 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Not a very good feeling.
Sounds like somebody cut your cable and put the bike in the back of a truck or car and drove away. U-lock to something like a post or bike rack would be better.
Old 12-18-16, 02:17 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Wow, that is pretty ambitious to go through 2 locks. I presume they snagged the cable lock, then carried the bike away. Did you find a cut lock?

I hope the bike finds its way back home.
Old 12-18-16, 02:34 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
I am so sorry. Hope you get it back.
Old 12-18-16, 02:35 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 566 Posts
Jeez ... that could well have been me.

That's one brazen thief!
Old 12-18-16, 02:38 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5772 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,422 Posts
Don't kick yourself. Compost happens, and I also would have felt comfortable with a bike locked he same way right outside a window where the potential thief had to consider that you might be watching it.

Meanwhile, make sure you post this in the regional forum. Who knows maybe a local may trip over it.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-18-16, 06:32 PM
hefeweizen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Does mcd's have a video camera pointing anywhere near where your bike was?
Old 12-18-16, 07:09 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by locolobo13
Afterwards the police offered me a ride home. Which I accepted. It's not very comfortable in the back of the new police cars.
It's not so bad if they cuff your hands in front of your body rather than behind.

Or so I'm told.
Old 12-19-16, 08:33 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Originally Posted by canklecat
It's not so bad if they cuff your hands in front of your body rather than behind.

Or so I'm told.
Lol

Old 12-19-16, 08:38 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
that sucks man, good news is new bike!
Old 12-19-16, 11:10 AM
Johnny Mullet
That Huffy Guy

Bikes: Old School Huffy Bikes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I hope you get your bike back.
Old 12-19-16, 01:20 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
What a sick feeling to look and not see your bike. Ugh. I hope you recover it.
Old 12-19-16, 01:24 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
I am sad with you. It is disgusting that people have "Skills" at theft of a loved product like a bike. I ope that something positive works out.

Phoenix eh, I grew up there. What intersection?

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 12-19-16, 01:31 PM
jackrippah

Bikes: Surly LHT, 85' Specialized Expedition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So sorry for your loss...

Did this happen in center city or more suburban/country environment ?
Old 12-19-16, 01:51 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
My bike was locked with a cheap cable lock around a street post and a U-lock around the frame and rear tire. I was sitting where I could see the bike out the window.

This is the third time in six years. One recovered.
Oh man! I'm so sorry.

Reading so many posts about the precautions that others take to lock their bikes makes me think that I must live in a really low crime area. I seldom carry ANY kind of locking device with me when I ride. The folks that I ride with also either go bare or carry only a thin cable lock. I can't tell you how many times I've stopped to eat lunch with no lock of any kind for my bike (trike). Now I have to figure both a reasonably secure locking system and a convenient way to carry it with me on my Catrike.
Old 12-19-16, 02:09 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
At least you recognized where the weakness was in the locking scheme, the easily cut cable.. After the fact, unfortunately..

I upped my cable portion to a Hardened security chain .. Abus..

. But I also moved away from any city the size of Phoenix Arizona , also..

[Over a Million, I dont think I've ever lived in that populous a place..]

( Barely 9500, here.. )

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-19-16 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-19-16, 09:39 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,635 Times in 946 Posts
Thanks for the support. I hate the idea of carrying around a heavier cable or chain but.. I'll start looking tomorrow. Gotta get a U-lock as well. At least I still have the hybrid to ride.

Originally Posted by Daspydyr
Phoenix eh, I grew up there. What intersection?
16th St & Glendale. Not a bad neighborhood. Or doesn't look that bad riding around. I've been there before. The thing I've always liked about that McDs is I can lock the bike up to the light and it is visible from the dining room.
Old 12-20-16, 10:09 AM
WolfRyder

Bikes: Not that many, just getting started.

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Trek 3700 was stolen this morning. My bike was locked with a cheap cable lock around a street post and a U-lock around the frame and rear tire.

Not ideal?

Get an Abus, all kinds of models, German made, security level from 5 to 15

https://www.abus.com/eng/Mobile-Secu...Security/Locks
Old 12-20-16, 11:26 AM
Daspydyr 

Thanks for the support. I hate the idea of carrying around a heavier cable or chain but.. I'll start looking tomorrow. Gotta get a U-lock as well. At least I still have the hybrid to ride.

16th St & Glendale. Not a bad neighborhood. Or doesn't look that bad riding around. I've been there before. The thing I've always liked about that McDs is I can lock the bike up to the light and it is visible from the dining room.
I think I bought a car @ that intersection in the 1970s. Still sad to hear about the stolen bike. Here is the Las Vegas Valley people are losing bikes out of their garages in gated communities.

I personally take my bike into what ever Fast Food place I visit. I keep it tucked out of the way, but the bike in not more than 20 feet away from me.

Old 12-20-16, 08:24 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts

I personally take my bike into what ever Fast Food place I visit. I keep it tucked out of the way, but the bike in not more than 20 feet away from me.
I did that a couple of years ago - there was no way I was leaving my road bike outside. The restaurant staff asked me to take the bike outside citing health regulations. I rode thru the drive-thru.

OP, you never know when / where the bike might show up. A homeless person stole one of our neighbors bikes. They found him / it a week later - minus a bunch of parts that had been stripped, and presumably sold.
Old 12-21-16, 10:14 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
I never worry about bicycle theft in my own neighborhood. I lock up with a curly cable (and Abus lock) when I visit the YMCA or go shopping locally. However, when I bike to the UCSD campus, where I work, I bring my bike up to my office or use a much better security system if I park it outside.

Having gone to UCLA from 1968 to 1978, when and where bicycle theft was rampant (it probably still is), I grew accustomed to having a really ugly beater/transportation bike, saving my nicer equipment for times I knew I would not have to leave it anywhere.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 12-21-16, 10:48 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Originally Posted by h2oxtc
I did that a couple of years ago - there was no way I was leaving my road bike outside. The restaurant staff asked me to take the bike outside citing health regulations. I rode thru the drive-thru.

OP, you never know when / where the bike might show up. A homeless person stole one of our neighbors bikes. They found him / it a week later - minus a bunch of parts that had been stripped, and presumably sold.
Most places hereabouts won't let you go through the drive through on a bike. You need one of these instead.

Damn few of the riders I know lock their bikes on our mountain rides ... most of them with more drool-worthy rides than me. And no thefts! I suppose we've been pretty lucky.

If I think I am going to be sitting in a restaurant (and watching the bike in a more crime-prone area) I'll do exactly what you did ... a small lock intended to just slow them down. And if I'm caught without a lock, Ill remove the front wheel at least. Someone may throw it in the back of a pickup and drive away, but at least they won't ride away on it.

And I'll say it again ... that was one brazen thief.
Attached Images

Old 12-21-16, 11:52 AM
Daspydyr 

No bikes in the Restaurant because of health reasons? My bike is cleaner than me and most everyone else on the planet. It doesn't breathe or sneeze. Has no viruses, the only bacteria would be from small contact with the road, much smaller than my footprint.

But I know what you mean, its the perception of a stinking dirty bike. I do believe that there are times when I abuse my bike that it spits, I really think it spits from time to time.

Old 12-21-16, 11:58 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

No bikes in the Restaurant because of health reasons? My bike is cleaner than me and most everyone else on the planet. It doesn't breathe or sneeze. Has no viruses, the only bacteria would be from small contact with the road, much smaller than my footprint.

But I know what you mean, its the perception of a stinking dirty bike. I do believe that there are times when I abuse my bike that it spits, I really think it spits from time to time.
I think that's utter nonsense.

One of the guards in my office building used to demand that I LIFT up my bike if I was going to wheel it through the lobby. Presumably, he thought the tires would sully the carpet.

I asked him the obvious question ... how are my tires any different than the shoes of the people walking through the lobby?

Old 12-21-16, 12:19 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
abus locks.. https://www.abus.com/us

https://mobilesecurity.abus.com/eng/...gories/display

lock integrated with chain https://mobilesecurity.abus.com/eng/...ain-integrated

I added a length of inner tube over the fabric hose covering, for the black Chain goo ..

Chain store franchises have managers , they follow out HQ policy, they don't set the policy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.