Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Upgraded Pedestrian in Louisville, KY

Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Old 05-21-18, 01:53 PM
Bruneauinfo

Bikes: Specialized Pitch & Schwinn S-25

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sounds too odd to be true, but my car was stolen in a ridesharing transaction. Not Uber or Lyft, but one of those companies that allows you to rent your car out to people through their online service. My advice: carefully vet the customers who rent from you.

Anyway, I recently became a pedestrian. And since I come from a generation of kids who rode bikes to fill a large portion of their pastime, I decided to add at least one bike to my fleet of transportation choices. (I wore out A LOT of Huffy bikes growing up.) Walking is nice, and it's good for you, and calling an Uber is a fast way to get around town. Both are fine options when your car has gone missing. However, having a bike is a nice option between the two, right? You get a much wider range than walking without nearly the exertion or time investment in travel, and it is a lot cheaper than Uber (unless of course, you buy one of those bikes that cost more than a nice car in which case, $10 grand buys a whole lot of Uber trips around town.)

I moved in with a friend of mine here in Louisville. He's renting me a space in the basement while I recover from the financial fiasco that has been the loss (hopefully temporary!) of my car. Other than a spacious, carpeted, basement apartment, he has also gifted me with a 1973 Schwinn Varsity 10-speed. Granted, he's not certain where it came from as he's had several roommates rent the basement apartment over the years who left things behind. It's been behind his shed in the back for a long while, so it's basically a case of property abandonment, right? I ran the serial number on the bike, and I was surprised to find out just how vintage of a ride it was. Built in Chicago. (I would post a pic of the bike, but I'm too new yet to do so.) It is the pic in my avatar though.

I also have a Target-bought, Schwinn S-25 MTB on the way. Another friend of mine is selling it to me for $50. He bought it new, assembled it, and then never rode it. So, I'm guessing it's a good deal. Will get me started anyway. Hoping that being forced to get on a bike for transport will turn into a new way of life for me. I know I could use the exercise. The Schwinn Varsity and I are the same age! :-D
Old 05-21-18, 03:37 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,559 Times in 2,089 Posts
Welcome! Sorry to hear about your car but I'm glad you found us.

Old 05-21-18, 09:31 PM
Bruneauinfo

Bikes: Specialized Pitch & Schwinn S-25

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My brother has been trying to get me back into bikes for years. We rode them all the time growing up. I need the transport, but I really need the exercise too.
Old 05-22-18, 02:48 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11321 Post(s)
Liked 4,634 Times in 2,700 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums, Bruneainfo! I hope things turn around for you, but never know, this all may be a blessing in disguise. Riding bikes isn't all bad!