Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Hilton Head - verdict?

Old 08-09-18, 08:16 AM
xodondum

Bikes: 17 Cannondale Synapse C; 17 DB Podium; 15 Trek Marlin 5; 95 GT Outpost; 08 Walgoose BMX; 09 Fuji CCR3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hilton Head / Savannah verdict?

All,

What's the verdict on HH? I've read past older threads on it. Seems to not be good for a road bike due to amount of car traffic and the MUPs being better suited for much slower cruise/beach bikes. Has anything changed? is it safe for a roadie trying to go 15-17mph? is there a place right outside HH island that offers better road biking? lemme know.

added: oh, what about Savannah? is it a good riding place for a road biker?
Old 08-09-18, 08:36 AM
danmyersmn 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Savannah would be better than HH. Just south of HH is a MUP. The trail is mostly horrible. The pine tree roots have brought up the asphalt to make it very bumpy in sections and in other sections it uses residential streets without much direction on where to go.
Old 08-09-18, 11:59 AM
hockey

Bikes: Trek 5200, Giant Rainier, Devinci Destination,Motobecane CF, Bike Friday family tandem, Bike Friday NWT

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forget about it.

Anywhere else
Old 08-09-18, 12:09 PM
xodondum

Bikes: 17 Cannondale Synapse C; 17 DB Podium; 15 Trek Marlin 5; 95 GT Outpost; 08 Walgoose BMX; 09 Fuji CCR3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so I take it, you tried it?
Originally Posted by hockey View Post
Anywhere else
Old 08-09-18, 12:15 PM
xodondum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. anywhere in particular for Savannah?
Originally Posted by danmyersmn View Post
Savannah would be better than HH.
Old 08-09-18, 04:36 PM
danmyersmn 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, to be honest, I realize I made a mistake. You where asking about Hilton Head and I told you about the crappy riding that is in Myrtle Beach. So what I stated above doesn't apply to Hilton Head. Sorry.

Hilton Head is ok. It has a lot of miles of bike trails on it. They are in good condition but they cross roads everywhere. By the ocean they are busy and slow. You will probably not find it appealing as a destination to plan a trip for riding. Besides riding, or going to the beach the island doesn't have much of anything else to offer. If I was going there I would divert to the Spanish Moss trail in Beaufort first to at least get some miles in before getting on the Hilton Head trails. That trail is 10+ miles and it isn't heavily used. I prefer to run it than bike it though.

HOME

Your best option for Savannah is to visit Perry Rubber bike shop. They put together group rides and they are awesome folks. I am confident they would be happy to string a ride together for you if you asked them for some help. Beyond that they have 5 or so trips on their group rides page. They also have a fantastic old Colnago hanging from the rafters to drool over.
Local Rides |

Savannah is a better location for spending a weekend in my opinion. I never factor the ocean/beach in; however, since I have it local already. Laying on the beach all day may be your thing.
Old 01-13-19, 04:47 PM
Sprattman1

Bikes: TCR Advanced SL 0 Disc-Red E-Tap

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i rode in an event there a couple months ago...65 miles. it started at 7:30am so traffic was none existing. I have travel to the island for decades and never realized how good the cycling is and i am not talking about bike paths. Look up the ride they call Pedal Hilton Head, you will be pleased.