Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Soma Rush Opinions?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Soma Rush Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-19, 06:30 AM
Bigpond

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Soma Rush Opinions?

TLDR- Anyone have/had a Rush and have an opinion of it?

I picked up a alu langster frame recently for an embarrassingly low price and it’s been great for all the hill climbing I do. Pretty light, ok clearance and carbon fork make for a solid climber and a comfortable enough ride on tarmac (way less bone jarring than my ‘88 cannondale).

But very often my path intersects with a railtrail that is mostly hardpack and crushed stone dust and sometimes I like to cut through to break up a ride. I’ve ridden through a few times on the langster and it’s been...ok, not great. There are sections that are bone jarring (can’t see straight!) and others where there are no issues at all.

So I’ve been thinking of adding another frame that would be better able to pull double duty and a Rush popped up locally for a hard to pass up price. The Rush was the first fixed frame I was ever really interested in but I went a different way in the end.

Ideally, I would grab a Wabi or a steamroller but I do loves a deal! I know of the the three, the Rush is more aggressive and least ideally suited to a lil off-roading, but I’m not riding gravel and not riding trail aggressively, like at all.

So, my biggest concern is basically inexperience. I’ve not riden a frame with a seat tube angle steeper than 74.3 and the rush goes 1 degreee steeper. I’m not sure how this will impact my riding position over terrain.

Am I crazy to consider this or should I just man up and grab a lilac steamroller?
Old 04-03-19, 07:55 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2632 Post(s)
Liked 3,149 Times in 1,657 Posts
The frame material also make a different and the Rush is steel so it will soak up a lot more buzz than the langster. If you really want a separate purpose-driven bike that is more utilitarian/off road friendly, then I'd wait for the Steamroller.

But really tire width and pressure will make the biggest difference here. You could spring for a new wheelset with wider rims, tires and lower pressure and it would make a bigger difference than the new frame for riding on the rail trail.
Old 04-03-19, 10:56 AM
Bigpond

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep wider rims may work though I’m not sure how much wider I can really go. I think the rear will rub around 30 on 17mm rims and it’s around 28mm on the front. Anyway, thanks for tip.
Old 04-03-19, 11:34 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2632 Post(s)
Liked 3,149 Times in 1,657 Posts
Yeah the langster frames can be all over the place with many of their production models geared towards street riding, while others are real track bikes. Sounds like you should pinch your pennies and get a new bike when the wallet permits! The Steamroller will over a more contrasting bike than the Wabi IMO.
Old 04-03-19, 11:40 AM
nightfly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
I love my Rush. I picked it up cheap and have it set up with Archetypes and 28mm Paselas and the clearance and ride are good. You may be able to squeeze 30 or 32mm tires but it's probably hit or miss. It's my 4th fixed gear and the most aggressive geometry and I like it the best.

I don't know how it would do on a trail, but it's ok on the crappy streets of New York. However the Lilac steamroller is probably more suited to your purpose.
Old 04-04-19, 05:16 AM
Bigpond

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey man, thanks for the feedback! If I pick it up I’d likely go with conti 4k’s at 28mm which seem to measure out to about 31mm.
Old 04-28-19, 10:11 AM
BicycleBicycle

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
I had a pake rum runner which is essentially a soma rush with cheaper tubing (made by guys that worked with/collabed with soma).
It was a very fun bike that I would also occasionally take off road. It was slightly unstable at slower speeds (simply becuase you're turning the bars more than you are body leaning). It seemed fine on some small descents and little fun trail sections. It has a very tight wheelbase, which makes for a very fun lively street bike, but idk how that would translate onto daily offroad riding. It was occasional for me, and it was cool, but I wouldn't take it to the singletrack everyday.
You were basically welded to that thing when you got going though and it was super smooth, stable, and responsive.

The steamroller is purposefully designed to be more versatile and has a more road-like geo so it would probably be similar to having a cross bike.
Never ridden one though, but i've ridden a cross bike (same concept, aggressive but road-like geo), and the difference was pretty big.
Relaxed geo is surprisingly fun on light singletrack, but kinda sluggish on the flat stuff. That being said, you'll defintiely appreciate that geo when you're offroad, but you probably won't notice a big difference if it's just flat hardpack.

Last edited by BicycleBicycle; 04-28-19 at 10:42 AM.