Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Specialized CrossTrail Elite vs Trek Dual Sport 4 vs Cannondale Quick CX 1/CX2

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-19, 04:33 PM
Jakespaar

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Sirrus X Comp Carbon & 1990's Diamondback Sorrento

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I’ve been a member for six months, and this is my first post. I’m 61, in good health, and at a healthy weight (5’8” & 150-155 lbs.). I do have problems with my back and neck, including some disk damage. I usually ride 2-3 days a week, covering 11-15 miles most days, in 1 - 1¼ hrs.

I’m in the market for a new bike, after 25+ years of riding an early 90’s Diamondback Sorrento. I’m not sure what year it is, but it’s got 18 speeds, is Avenir equipped, has elliptical front sprockets (Shimano Biopace), and 26 X 2.0 tires. It’s a hybrid, although I don’t know if they were called that back then. It has a cro-moly frame, and weighs 34-35 lbs. with a solid fork and a minimal amount of add-ons & gear.

I’m looking for a high-end hybrid with a front suspension. I use my bike primarily for exercise, mainly on asphalt, with the occasional short excursion onto dirt and gravel. A lot of the roads and asphalt trails that I ride on are in pretty bad condition. Before anyone jumps in to try to convince me that I don’t need a front suspension (I’ve read this argument in many threads here), I’d like to save you the time. I’m aware of those opinions, and I know I don’t need a front suspension. However, I’m willing to trade the extra weight for a decrease in impact shocks transmitted to my body. The new bike should still be nearly 10 lbs. lighter than what I’m currently riding, and have taller/narrower tires (with less rolling resistance), so I expect to be happy with my decision.

I’ve narrowed down my choices to the Specialized CrossTrail Elite, the Trek Dual Sport 4, the Cannondale Quick CX1 or CX2. The first three are basically equivalent models from each company, with two front sprockets and 10 or 11 cogs in the rear. The Quick CX2 is essentially the same as the CX1, but it has only one front sprocket. I would love to be able to test drive these bikes to help decide which one I’d like the best. However, I haven’t been able to find any of these bikes in stock in my size (M) at any of the local shops, and I have yet to find a shop willing to order one, just so I can test drive it (I don’t live in a major metropolitan area, so inventories are limited). I’m not terribly worried about this, because I’ve managed to be relatively happy riding my current tank for all of these years. I’m sure that I’d be happy with any of these choices.

Apparently, I can't post links to these models, because I haven't posted enough previously. That's a drag, because it would make it much easier for you to help me. If anyone would be willing to post them for me, I'd greatly appreciate it (I can even send you the links, if you like).

I’m interested if any of you see any glaring advantages of one of these over the others. My priorities are ease of use, quality and reliability of components, comfort, and weight (not necessarily in that order). I’m less concerned about the differences in price (they range from $1,150 to 1,365), or how each model looks. I prefer the bike to have a geometry biased towards road riding. I’ve been leaning towards the Cannondale’s, which lighter than the Trek and probably the Specialized as well (I haven’t been able to get a straight answer from Specialized on the weight), but I’m also intrigued by the Trek’s extra front fork travel and remote lockout. I'm somewhat apprehensive about the Specialized Fitness Brain technology verses manual lockouts.

Have any of you ridden a hybrid with only one front sprocket? I find the idea appealing for its simplicity, reliability, and weight savings. The Cannondale Quick CX2 is appealing for the simplicity of having 11 speeds and being the lightest, but I find the two-tone paint scheme the least attractive of the bunch. I’ve compared the available ratios with my current bike, and it has a slightly better range (both low and high).

I could go on, but I’m interested in your thoughts…

Last edited by Jakespaar; 04-26-19 at 11:05 AM. Reason: I forgot some things, and came up with some better ways to say others.
Old 04-25-19, 02:21 PM
Jakespaar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More info on my bike and those I'm considering:

Current Bike (90’s Diamondback Sorrento):
Weight: 34-35 lbs.
Chainrings: 48/38/28
Rear Cogs: 14-28
Gear Ratios: Low: 1.0 High: 3.43

Specialized CrossTrail Elite
MSRP: $1,200.00
Weight in Medium: Unknown
Chainrings: 44/32
Rear Cogs: 11-40
Gear Ratios: Low: 0.80 High: 4.00

Trek Dual Sport 4
MSRP: $1,159.99
Weight in Medium: 27.52 lbs.
Chainrings: 42/28
Gear Ratios: Low: 0.70 High: 3.82

Cannondale Quick CX1
MSRP: $1,365.00
Weight in Medium: 26.30 lbs.
Chainrings: 38/28
Gear Ratios: Low: 0.70 High: 3.45

Cannondale Quick CX2
MSRP: $1,150.00
Weight in Medium: 25.60 lbs.
Chainrings: 38
Rear Cogs: 11-42
Gear Ratios: Low: 0.90 High: 3.45

Last edited by Jakespaar; 04-26-19 at 02:33 PM. Reason: I found a mistake and corrected it.
Old 04-26-19, 04:37 PM
Jakespaar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are the specifications and frame geometries for the models I'm considering:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/cr...elite/p/126333 (CrossTrail Elite)

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...colorCode=grey (Dual Sport 4)

https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bi...ntid=undefined (Quick CX1)

https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bi...ntid=undefined (Quick CX2)
Old 04-26-19, 07:08 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by Jakespaar
Have any of you ridden a hybrid with only one front sprocket?
No, but I'd consider it if it met my gear range requirement. I use a range of about 0.80 to 3.50. Of your list, the Cannondale comes close to it, and all of the gears would be usable.

I think a double chainring (as the rest of your choices are) can be a bit tougher, at least for me personally. And here's why: I spend almost all of my time in my 38 tooth chainring. I'll go down to the 28 for some climbs, and I sometimes (though rarely) use my 48, but I'm in the 38 nearly all the time. It provides a nice gear ratio spread of about 1.1 through 3.5, and the gear spacing is fairly even throughout the range, because I don't have to change chainrings. My MTB (that I often ride on the street) has the same tire size and same cassette as my hybrid, but it has a 22/32/42 crankset as opposed to my hybrid's 28/38/48. My MTB is tougher to ride because I find that I'm always wanting to be somewhere between the 32 and 42 ring...I can't stay on one ring and use my whole cassette (because I either run out of torque or run out of speed), so I'm always between the two rings.

So I (personally, me) would not be interested in the Trek, with its double crankset. The 42 is too much for half of my riding and the 28 is not enough for half of it. I'd always be flipping between the two. It's not the end of the world to have to do that, but it's also not necessary, not with the proper drivetrain for your riding. I would not like the Specialized, either, for the same reason. I'd be more interested in either of the Cannondales, as they have gearing that would work for me.

I don't say that to presume that what works for me will work for you, but to suggest that you consider not only the range of gearing that you ever use, but also which ratios you use the most often, and to see if the gearing on your prospective bikes will support your most oft-used gears in a way that meshes well with your riding.

The only thing about a 1x drivetrain that I hesitate on is the chain angle in the extreme gears. With a double or triple, you can help mitigate that, but the chain gets pretty crooked in the largest or smallest sprocket with a 1x (it's usually worse with the larger sprockets). The practical effect of this is some chain drops when pedaling backwards. The common suggestion is simply don't pedal backwards. It makes sense (the "fix"), but I think the drops can happen even with slight and unintentional rearward movement of the chain, as can happen normally during riding when you transition from pedaling to coasting. I have not owned a 1x drivetrain, and I don't know how prevalent that issue really is.

But yeah...I could do a 1x setup with an 11-42 in the back and a 36 or 38 up front. That'd support most of my riding most of the time, with a nice smooth jump between each gear across the cassette range.

Last edited by hokiefyd; 04-26-19 at 07:14 PM.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 04-29-19, 01:31 PM
Jakespaar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hokiefyd: Thanks for the through reply. My current bike has the same front setup as yours (48/38/28), and, like you I spend most of my time in the 38 chainring (except for hill climbing & descending). I appreciate what you were saying about considering the ratios I use most often, in addition to the range of gearing. I'll keep that in mind. Based on what you were saying, I too think I'd be happiest with the CX2 (of the 4 that I was considering), which is how I was leaning anyway.

On Saturday, I stopped by both of the bike shops in town. I wanted to look at their current inventory, and to ask about the possibility of getting any of the models listed above in for a test ride (without having to purchase it first). Same deal: They weren't in stock, and weren't likely to be. If I wanted to test drive one, I'd have to purchase it.

However, the guy helping me threw me a curve, and showed me the Men's Sirrus X Comp Carbon in Medium. It doesn't have a front suspension, but it does have a dampening system between the frame and handlebars (called Future Shock). I took it for a 10-15 min test ride and really liked it. It's more than I was looking to spend, but not out of the question. Afterwards, I rode one of the entry-level CrossTrails (with a front suspension) around the parking lot, and steering the bike felt very awkward and unnatural. I don't know if I would feel the same way about the CrossTrail Elite, but I suspect that I would.

That same shop offers a $50 rental fee, so I can take that bike out and ride it on the same roads and paths that I currently ride most often. And, if I decide that I want to order one, the $50 goes towards the price of the new bike. I may do that next weekend.

Last edited by Jakespaar; 04-29-19 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-29-19, 01:55 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
That $50 rental system sounds pretty good. That's probably the second best option to a free test ride!
Old 05-06-19, 01:19 PM
Jakespaar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’m looking for a high-end hybrid with a front suspension. I use my bike primarily for exercise, mainly on asphalt, with the occasional short excursion onto dirt and gravel. A lot of the roads and asphalt trails that I ride on are in pretty bad condition. Before anyone jumps in to try to convince me that I don’t need a front suspension (I’ve read this argument in many threads here), I’d like to save you the time. I’m aware of those opinions, and I know I don’t need a front suspension.
After test riding a Men's Sirrus X Comp Carbon, and then renting it for a day, I've reconsidered my position on wanting a front suspension. Yesterday, I ordered a purple X Comp in Medium. I'm excited about finally getting a new bike after nearly 30 years of riding my Diamondback Sorrento.
Old 05-11-19, 07:08 AM
Dirtbleed

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice purchase! The X-Comp Carbon is the nicest bike out there right now. Not available where I live yet.
Likes For Dirtbleed:
Old 06-20-20, 03:02 AM
Robert.S

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unhappy Just Bought a Quick CX 2

I’ve been a member for six months, and this is my first post. I’m 61, in good health, and at a healthy weight (5’8” & 150-155 lbs.). I do have problems with my back and neck, including some disk damage. I usually ride 2-3 days a week, covering 11-15 miles most days, in 1 - 1¼ hrs.

I’m in the market for a new bike, after 25+ years of riding an early 90’s Diamondback Sorrento. I’m not sure what year it is, but it’s got 18 speeds, is Avenir equipped, has elliptical front sprockets (Shimano Biopace), and 26 X 2.0 tires. It’s a hybrid, although I don’t know if they were called that back then. It has a cro-moly frame, and weighs 34-35 lbs. with a solid fork and a minimal amount of add-ons & gear.

I’m looking for a high-end hybrid with a front suspension. I use my bike primarily for exercise, mainly on asphalt, with the occasional short excursion onto dirt and gravel. A lot of the roads and asphalt trails that I ride on are in pretty bad condition. Before anyone jumps in to try to convince me that I don’t need a front suspension (I’ve read this argument in many threads here), I’d like to save you the time. I’m aware of those opinions, and I know I don’t need a front suspension. However, I’m willing to trade the extra weight for a decrease in impact shocks transmitted to my body. The new bike should still be nearly 10 lbs. lighter than what I’m currently riding, and have taller/narrower tires (with less rolling resistance), so I expect to be happy with my decision.

I’ve narrowed down my choices to the Specialized CrossTrail Elite, the Trek Dual Sport 4, the Cannondale Quick CX1 or CX2. The first three are basically equivalent models from each company, with two front sprockets and 10 or 11 cogs in the rear. The Quick CX2 is essentially the same as the CX1, but it has only one front sprocket. I would love to be able to test drive these bikes to help decide which one I’d like the best. However, I haven’t been able to find any of these bikes in stock in my size (M) at any of the local shops, and I have yet to find a shop willing to order one, just so I can test drive it (I don’t live in a major metropolitan area, so inventories are limited). I’m not terribly worried about this, because I’ve managed to be relatively happy riding my current tank for all of these years. I’m sure that I’d be happy with any of these choices.

Apparently, I can't post links to these models, because I haven't posted enough previously. That's a drag, because it would make it much easier for you to help me. If anyone would be willing to post them for me, I'd greatly appreciate it (I can even send you the links, if you like).

I’m interested if any of you see any glaring advantages of one of these over the others. My priorities are ease of use, quality and reliability of components, comfort, and weight (not necessarily in that order). I’m less concerned about the differences in price (they range from $1,150 to 1,365), or how each model looks. I prefer the bike to have a geometry biased towards road riding. I’ve been leaning towards the Cannondale’s, which lighter than the Trek and probably the Specialized as well (I haven’t been able to get a straight answer from Specialized on the weight), but I’m also intrigued by the Trek’s extra front fork travel and remote lockout. I'm somewhat apprehensive about the Specialized Fitness Brain technology verses manual lockouts.

Have any of you ridden a hybrid with only one front sprocket? I find the idea appealing for its simplicity, reliability, and weight savings. The Cannondale Quick CX2 is appealing for the simplicity of having 11 speeds and being the lightest, but I find the two-tone paint scheme the least attractive of the bunch. I’ve compared the available ratios with my current bike, and it has a slightly better range (both low and high).

I could go on, but I’m interested in your thoughts…
I bought a Quick CX 2 from REI five weeks ago. I absolutely love the bike! However, I am having major problems with the rear derailleur jumping back and forth at random between gears 4, 5, and 6. (My CX2 has two front sprockets; I believe the CX1 has only one.) I have taken the bike to three mechanics and all agree the alignment is not the problem. It could be the cassette. The consensus seems to be that the CX1 is not spec'ed to be ridden hard, which I do. I plan to take advantage of REI's money-back guarantee and upgrade to the CX1 whenever they come back into stock. Hope that helps.