Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Managing your wellness as you age?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 05-09-19, 08:18 AM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts

A natural by-product of aging is a progressive weakening of muscular strength as one ages - starting about age 35 - called Sarcopenia. This can be markedly reduced/slowed.

In my case, approaching 80yo in a few months, I work on 7 techniques. (1) Bicycling several times/wk, (2) swimming 4 times weekly, (3) walking 1.5 - 2 miles almost daily, (4) a variety of resistance/core exercises almost daily, (5) stretching daily about 20 minutes, (6) decent nutrition and (7) body metrics such as weight, BP, SO2, etc.

I was diagnosed with a terrible disease about 3 years ago - Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis - a killer over a relatively short amount of time. However, the diagnosis has now been changed to Dendriform Pulmonary Ossification - an extremely rare "orphan" disease (maybe 500? in the world) literally meaning bone material in one's lungs in a tree-like pattern. BUT, I have been managing to stay even according to my breathing tests and performance.

My desire is to give my body the best chance of lasting many years into the future.

Anyone else have a program?

Last edited by gobicycling; 05-09-19 at 08:56 AM.
Likes For gobicycling:
Old 05-09-19, 09:22 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,227 Posts
I live near miles of hiking trails on a mountain.
I have a big lawn to cut with a powered push mower.
I ride my bikes a lot.
I don't obsess over my physical health.

What about mental health as we age? Too many americans just take anti-depressants. I wonder what percentage.

edit: 68yo, no Rx, few supplements, resting HR 46, 6'1", 195# (perpetually striving to lose 10), cycle 150mi/wk in decent weather, winter skier, early dementia, married to an RN.

Last edited by Wildwood; 05-09-19 at 12:53 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 05-09-19, 11:41 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I obsess over my physical health and do what I have to do to maintain it, i.e. get no worse - no fatter, no weaker, just a little slower as the aerobic engine gradually decays. But not much slower. Yesterday I rode 50 miles and 2300', averaging 16 mph. That's maybe .5 mph less than I averaged 15 years ago on that same loop. My average HR was 118 yesterday, as that was an endurance ride, so I geared down and spun up the hills. I tried to sprint all-out for a bit every 20 minutes or something like that.

I'm half-squatting 225, could do 245 but don't want put that much strain on. Full squats are about 165. That's about what I used when I was 21. Body weight ~148. I lift weights year-round. No sarcopenia, no no. 73 y.o.
Old 05-09-19, 12:28 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
The best way to manage well as you age is to keep exercising. For some reason we get afraid of that as we get older which is the exact opposite of what we should be doing.

Resistance training would be first if I were you, since it is the single best way to reverse the signs of aging. Especially with muscles, bones and connective tissue concerns. Of course aerobic is important to, so whatever way you want to get that is up to you.

After I first injured my back I stopped exercising completely thinking I needed to take it easy. That ended up being the worst thing I ever did because my muscles atrophied and the pain continued.

Four years later my right arm is still smaller than my left but most people don't notice unless I point it out to them. The exercise doesn't stop it from hurting but at least I can predict and control the pain a lot better than when I was completely sedentary.
Likes For KraneXL:
Old 05-09-19, 05:18 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I'm now 80 y.o. My approach to managing wellness is to continue exercising; some weights, some cycling and walking and a good bit of stretching to maintain mobility. To me, it is not so much a question of long life but one of maintaining as much of the quality as possible. There are many things for which we have no choice but where we do, I hope we can make good choices. To continue to exercise into advanced ago is necessary to best quality of life.
Likes For berner:
Old 05-09-19, 06:34 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
I am in awe of all of you out there who continue to overcome adversity and strive to remain at the top of your game no matter how high or not. Continuing on against the ever present incoming tide of aging that at times can seem like that "Rubber Tree" confirms that cyclists are often "one brick shy of a load."

Soon to be 69 with bicycling my primary exercise although walking and swimming are a small piece in the pie. No hills here in SW FL so once I start pedaling it can be non stop, minimal coasting for 50 and up to 100 miles if I don't need a restroom break. Just had a heavy rain storm go through and if the roads are dry in 4 hours I'll be out for my Rotunda Wheel Spoke'm If You Can ride.

Did a version Tuesday AM then added some extra ------ https://www.relive.cc/view/2349319550

Not as strong as I was a few years ago so speed is way down, plenty of arthritis, bilateral orchiectomy, aggressive prostate cancer, required drugs not helpful, anemia all reduce the enjoyment once obtainable so now it's just ride to stay on top of everything the best as possible.

Bicycled 5 miles to the grocery store this morning on my $100.00 Target Special "MAGNA grocery grabber" and came out to see a flat rear. Called the BOSS LADY for a "pick-up" but decided to shove the valve stem into the tire and bike the 5 miles home so I called her again, cancelled the pick-up and 45 minutes later I was unloading the basket. Maybe I'm 2 bricks shy of a load.

Be well all and ENJOY THE RIDE.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 05-09-19, 07:58 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

It is as one gets into their 80's or near 80's that those who have exercised as Berner (above) has in their younger (pre 80) years really have an advantage in quality of life over those who have not. Bicycling alone will not do it. Leads to muscle imbalances, etc. and does not build strength in those unused muscles.

It is NOT an obsession - simply building good habits and routines and sticking with it, as in any positive habit.
Old 05-09-19, 08:04 PM
Outnumbered

Bikes: Cyclocross Generic Steel Frame 105 Shimano Group Set, Minn Framed Fat Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
At 62 try to eat right and exercise everyday wether it be biking, golf (walking), snow skiing, weights, hiking etc. Yes it keeps us healthier and physically and mentally younger than if we didn't exercise. I Get bloodwork and heartcheckups regularly. My last bloodwork my Dr had redone because it came out so good he couldnt believe it. When friends will say "I'm fat and out of shape look at me I'm the same age as you". My answer for that is any of us can get a disease at anytime but I want the best chance to recover from it and live a long life after. Besides my pharaceutical bill is zero.

Heck I cant let my grankids bike further than me no way, no how.
Old 05-09-19, 08:05 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
I am in awe of all of you out there who continue to overcome adversity and strive to remain at the top of your game no matter how high or not. Continuing on against the ever present incoming tide of aging that at times can seem like that "Rubber Tree" confirms that cyclists are often "one brick shy of a load."

Soon to be 69 with bicycling my primary exercise although walking and swimming are a small piece in the pie. No hills here in SW FL so once I start pedaling it can be non stop, minimal coasting for 50 and up to 100 miles if I don't need a restroom break. Just had a heavy rain storm go through and if the roads are dry in 4 hours I'll be out for my Rotunda Wheel Spoke'm If You Can ride.

Did a version Tuesday AM then added some extra ------ https://www.relive.cc/view/2349319550

Not as strong as I was a few years ago so speed is way down, plenty of arthritis, bilateral orchiectomy, aggressive prostate cancer, required drugs not helpful, anemia all reduce the enjoyment once obtainable so now it's just ride to stay on top of everything the best as possible.

Bicycled 5 miles to the grocery store this morning on my $100.00 Target Special "MAGNA grocery grabber" and came out to see a flat rear. Called the BOSS LADY for a "pick-up" but decided to shove the valve stem into the tire and bike the 5 miles home so I called her again, cancelled the pick-up and 45 minutes later I was unloading the basket. Maybe I'm 2 bricks shy of a load.

Be well all and ENJOY THE RIDE.
You are amazing! That's all I can say - AMAZING!
Old 05-09-19, 09:52 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Originally Posted by gobicycling
Thanks.

I'm constantly told that by fellow cyclists when I show for an early AM ride and they ask, "So, how many miles already?" but IMO, it's not so amazing since I'm still able to be "within myself in body and mind" because I'm not at that point of relying on drugs that sadly distort one's being to simply get through the day.

Rains stopped, roads are drying, almost MIDNIGHT, lights are charged, wife's sleeping so time for an over-niter 100 miler.
Old 05-10-19, 05:22 AM
Greenhil

Bikes: 2018 Kona Rove NRB, 2121 Kona Libre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 26 Posts
I have a lot of admiration for those who post here who are dealing with serious health issues and still riding. I question whether I’d do nearly as well under similar circumstances - you folks are an inspiration!

I guess I do obsess about my fitness. At 70, I go to the gym 4 or 5 times a week in the winter and
2 or 3 times in warmer months, on days I don’t ride.

The four things I concentrate on are: aerobic fitness, strength training, maintaining my VO2max and stretching.
There are a whole bunch of ways to accomplish those things and I try to mix it up.

Every few years I convince myself I don’t have a clue what I’m doing and I go see a trainer (a triathlete in her mid-60s now) and she sets me straight by correcting the things I’m doing wrong, eliminating the unnecessary and suggesting new things to try.

Someone earlier mentioned mental health. I’m prone to SAD during our long winters and find exercise is the best treatment.
Old 05-10-19, 07:44 AM
OldTryGuy

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
.............Rains stopped, roads are drying, almost MIDNIGHT, lights are charged, wife's sleeping so time for an over-niter 100 miler.
update -----

DANG IT!!! Got out a bit late, 12:29AM instead of 12:01AM and gave myself a 6 hour time limit for the ride. Wound up having to stop at the 30 mile mark for an unexpectedly LONG comfort break and shafted myself so I missed the 100 mile mark. Had I been on the Roubaix it would have been OK but I took out my 1983 Hybridized Paramount that weighs a ton and requires more effort so I came up short AND I pushed too hard at the end resulting in right knee issues.

A GOOD EFFORT, albeit a bit slow, so while disappointed I'm still pleased with the results and that is what makes the effort/exercise worth the time devoted to it.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 05-10-19, 07:52 AM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Doing full upper body TRX, planks (2-3 minutes), reverse planks, other core exercises, and stretching this am.
Old 05-10-19, 08:35 AM
KraneXL

Hear, hear!
Old 05-10-19, 09:15 AM
OldTryGuy

........ planks (2-3 minutes)........
COOL but color me JELLO at 30 seconds

guess it would be a really good idea to start working on all of those moves
Old 05-10-19, 09:40 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I don't know that it's "a program" but I've been increasing the volume and intensity of my activity in recent years (approaching 60 now). I started running 2-3 years ago and very gradually built up to about 3-4 hours per week without seriously risking injury now. Which I'm pleased with, but on top of ~7-10 hours cycling I don't know how sustainable that is going to be given that I have to keep increasing it to make gains.

There's a limit there somewhere and I may have to give in to training stress analytics - but I don't know that it even legitimately exists for 60+ folks so even that may be experimental
Old 05-10-19, 01:26 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
I've been managing my wellness since high school. I've worked with weights, ran, cycled, .......... since then. I'm 76 and still do weight work 5 days a week, and ride a lot. My wife was a triathlete and still swims, rides and does weight work 5 days a week. I was a decent distance runner. My wife and I have been bike tourists for decades. When I was 64, my wife and I cycled 3700 miles across the U. S. from Newport, Oregon to Boston, MA in 74 days. Since that time we have spent over 20 months riding over 20,000 miles through 11 different countries. All our trips are self supported, carrying our camping gear. Our training miles are probably close to that. This summer we plan on finishing the last leg of our ride across Canada: Windsor, Ontario to Halifax, Nova Scotia.

My point is: don't talk yourself into getting "older" than you are. However, getting older is a good thing

P.S. I have a friend that finished a 400 km ride last weekend. He finished it with two women, one was 63 and one was 64! That is 248 miles of riding in about 19 hours. He is only in his 50s.

Last edited by Doug64; 05-10-19 at 05:02 PM.
Likes For Doug64:
Old 05-12-19, 03:43 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Wellness

Exercise - I do a variety of things regularly.

Eating - I'm trying to eat a generally healthy diet and keep my weight down.

Health - I'm working with health professionals to address various issues before they become big issues.

Sleep - This I could work on.

Learning - I'm in uni going for my Master's Degree.

Work - I'm still working fulltime, taking on more tasks, learning new things.

Involvement - I'm president, communications officer, and ride organiser for one of our local cycling clubs.

Recreation - We go to the symphony and plays, we travel and exercise, of course.

Creativity - My creative hobby is photography.

Preparation - We're getting there. We've got wills and are making preparations for retirement and injury or illness.

Environment - We're slowly organising the house and making attempts to simplify things.

Family - Good relationship with my family.

Spirituality - YES!!

Alcohol & Smoking - NOPE!!

Last edited by Machka; 05-12-19 at 03:55 AM.
Likes For Machka:
Old 05-12-19, 05:24 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Machka
Exercise - I do a variety of things regularly.

Eating - I'm trying to eat a generally healthy diet and keep my weight down.

Health - I'm working with health professionals to address various issues before they become big issues.

Sleep - This I could work on.

Learning - I'm in uni going for my Master's Degree.

Work - I'm still working fulltime, taking on more tasks, learning new things.

Involvement - I'm president, communications officer, and ride organiser for one of our local cycling clubs.

Recreation - We go to the symphony and plays, we travel and exercise, of course.

Creativity - My creative hobby is photography.

Preparation - We're getting there. We've got wills and are making preparations for retirement and injury or illness.

Environment - We're slowly organising the house and making attempts to simplify things.

Family - Good relationship with my family.

Spirituality - YES!!

Alcohol & Smoking - NOPE!!

I can see from this list that we have much in common (as I'm sure many others here do as well). However, there is one on your list that I find of particular interest which I also share which caught my eye. Can you elaborate on any details about your graduate pursuits, such as your major and why you chose it?
Old 05-12-19, 05:55 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by KraneXL
I can see from this list that we have much in common (as I'm sure many others here do as well). However, there is one on your list that I find of particular interest which I also share which caught my eye. Can you elaborate on any details about your graduate pursuits, such as your major and why you chose it?
I'm going for a Master's in IT because their program let me in ... and I work in an IT-related field, and it interests me.

I've acquired my Graduate Certificate and Graduate Diploma, and I'm now working on course 3 of 8 Master's courses.
Old 05-12-19, 08:38 AM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Thanks, Machka, for expanding "wellness." I once had a business where we worked with corporations with an emphasis on employee financial, physical and emotional wellness.

Your diagram (and others) expands it even further. If one can do all that is suggested - well, WOW! what a life.

I'll post my personal take on the whole realm you presented later.
Old 05-12-19, 12:04 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
I’m 64.5 and work full-time, enjoy good health with a few small issues (gout) that I manage around through diet (no red meat, beer, wine) and more than my share of fruits & vegetables & 4 cups of coffee. Exercise is critical for both physical and mental well-being.

Thus maintaining mental agility/memory/creativity is through work in an expansive rubic’s cube in a dynamic environment where I’m always in constant verbal and written communication across many individuals and groups.

I know that I’m within a handful (or less) years of leaving permanent work. My backstop is time to non-profit (charitable) causes that are the step from work to community service and equal fulfillment of physical and mental “exercise”. I work with friends 1-2 generations younger and have learned to be more gracious in accepting alternative ideas and thoughts. And I try mightily to rest, decompress, sleep well. My S.O. sees both ends of the candle lit bright so learning to taper one end is a bit of a challenge.
Old 05-16-19, 03:26 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Machka

Under the health category ... flu shots!

I got flu shots for 2 or 3 years when I first came to Australia because I was listed "at risk" because of my genetically caused DVT. But they made me feel sick for 2 or 3 days and I never felt really confident that they were helping. I still got short (1-week) flus.

So I stopped getting the flu shot.

But in the last three years I started getting massive flus each winter ... weeks and weeks!

Last year, Rowan was in the hospital and his nurses strongly hinted that if I were going to continue to visit Rowan, it would be a good idea if I got a flu shot. So I did. And it was OK.

This year, we've done it again ... both got flu shots today.

Unfortunately I did get the flu before the flu shot, but hopefully between that and the flu shot, I will be OK this winter. Fingers crossed.
Old 05-16-19, 03:06 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,022 Posts
I got the mold allergy sore throat. Took generic Sudafed that has ephedrine so I had to sign for it at Walmart. I said now I can make illegal substances she wasn’t amused. So once my head clears up I will have a riding advantage because I’m on dope.
Old 05-16-19, 04:44 PM
GailT

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
I'm trying to sort that out as well, 58 and currently running 30 miles/week, biking 50 miles/week, and hiking one day between 3-5 hours, and 1 rest day. When I'm feeling tired and sore, it's difficult to know if I really need an extra rest day, or if I should do the workout anyway.

Originally Posted by wphamilton
I don't know that it's "a program" but I've been increasing the volume and intensity of my activity in recent years (approaching 60 now). I started running 2-3 years ago and very gradually built up to about 3-4 hours per week without seriously risking injury now. Which I'm pleased with, but on top of ~7-10 hours cycling I don't know how sustainable that is going to be given that I have to keep increasing it to make gains. There's a limit there somewhere and I may have to give in to training stress analytics - but I don't know that it even legitimately exists for 60+ folks so even that may be experimental

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.