Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek DS owners thread

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek DS owners thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-15, 04:06 PM
Sunpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fishnmaine
I'm torn between 8.6 DS or 7.5 FX. How is the DS on pavement..can you keep up with the FX? Also with all the recalls I'm reading on these forks does this affect 2015 DS 8.6? Also is it Post mount or IS mount.
I see that the 8.4 is the most popular bike on this thread. Is it worth the extra $$$ for the 8.6?

Thanks
Just to inform anyone wanting a 8.6 I was at my LBS today and inquired about the DS 8.6...I was told they are not available until probably March, due to a longshoreman's strike. The boats carrying some Treks (the 8.6 for sure) are being held up until after the labor dispute is settled. Unless you dealer has one in stock, you may have to wait a while. I was going to purchase one, now I am looking at other brands/models. Bummer
Old 01-30-15, 12:21 PM
swoodjr1

Bikes: 1999 Giant Rincon; 2009 Mercier Corvus Al; 2012 Trek Marlin; 2016 trek FX 7.5 when available

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunpilot
Just to inform anyone wanting a 8.6 I was at my LBS today and inquired about the DS 8.6...I was told they are not available until probably March, due to a longshoreman's strike. The boats carrying some Treks (the 8.6 for sure) are being held up until after the labor dispute is settled. Unless you dealer has one in stock, you may have to wait a while. I was going to purchase one, now I am looking at other brands/models. Bummer

JUST when I was getting ready to pull the trigger on one
I will just have to wait. No hurry where I live it's too cold most days to ride.
Old 01-31-15, 01:20 PM
Sunpilot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just found one today...a store in another town has one they are holding for me. I am headed there on Monday to get it. Look around and you may find a dealer with one in stock if you don't want to wait. BTW, I live in Arizona, so we ride most any day...
Old 02-02-15, 06:26 PM
cyber.snow

Bikes: Salsa Vaya, Salsa Fargo, TREK DS

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went to my LBS to buy a 17.5 8.6 today and ended up buying a 2014 8.5 instead. After comparing the two bikes, I decided that the sales price of $850 for the 8.5 was too good a deal to pass up. There were some changes in the running gear between the 8.5 and 8.6...but not worth the $500 or so that the bike cost more. Now I need to figure out what kind of computer to use....is it worth it to buy a good computer or is it sufficient to just know the basics?
Old 02-02-15, 10:27 PM
lopek77
Banned

Bikes: With round 700c & 26" wheels

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyber.snow
I went to my LBS to buy a 17.5 8.6 today and ended up buying a 2014 8.5 instead. After comparing the two bikes, I decided that the sales price of $850 for the 8.5 was too good a deal to pass up. There were some changes in the running gear between the 8.5 and 8.6...but not worth the $500 or so that the bike cost more. Now I need to figure out what kind of computer to use....is it worth it to buy a good computer or is it sufficient to just know the basics?
$10-$20 will buy you a good basic bike computer to track the miles, time and speed.
Better option would be cycling or multisport Garmin GPS unit. You can get these from $120+++. Nice thing about GPS unit is that you can download all your rides to the web. It will show you the maps, and all the details about your ride. You can also easily share it with your friends.

Last edited by lopek77; 02-02-15 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-03-15, 12:56 AM
seattlecivic

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just got me a 2015 8.4 DS size 15.5 (I'm short). What is a good kickstand? I am looking at the bontrager DS kickstand but I see the size is 285mm. Is that standard? Also wondering about the stuff you guys put on yours. Can you list your:

- Kickstand
- Bottle Cage
- Lights
- Bike Computers
- Bag

I've been looking at stuff on amazon, ebay, trek website... I can't make up my mind on if I should just get the cheapest bottle holder. Also the lights I would hope to be decent just to be seen if it starts to get dark. I don't plan on actual night cycling. Thanks! =)

Oh yeah... are the bottle cages pretty much universal in what you can put in it? Lastly... how do I upload a picture to make it larger?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_5933.jpg (95.3 KB, 393 views)

Last edited by seattlecivic; 02-03-15 at 01:00 AM.
Old 02-03-15, 07:42 AM
cyber.snow

Bikes: Salsa Vaya, Salsa Fargo, TREK DS

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice Bike Seattlecivic,

I am just going through the same questions. I did put an expanding bottle cage on mine as I like to carry either frozen water or ice water with me. Living in the Sacramento valley, it can get really hot in the daytime and I have found that the normal size bottles will not stay cold for more than an hour or so and if you are making a longer ride, you end up with lukewarm water. I did go with a simple bontrager lite kit along with a tube repair kit. Like you, I prefer to ride in the daytime but have been caught out later...especially after a long ride in the early evening and then stopping with a group for a beer....boom, it is dark and I need the lights to legally get back to the car. My dilemma right now is what to put as far as a computer on the bike....besides the basics, I would like to track my heart rate as I come from a family with heart trouble and so far have avoided any problems. There seems to be about 3 choices. One is to go with some sort of integrated package...Bontrager and Catseye both have setups where you can buy the sensors and head unit for about $200. Another option is to use your Iphone and there are a number of good cycling apps that track all your ride data and you can buy the sensors and a display (called an RFLKT) for about $200. Thus you track everything on your phone and save your phone battery by using the display. Finally there is purchasing a GPS unit that does all of that for you. The post above shows the kind of data one of these will provide, it is a little more costly but is an integrated package. I did have one of these on a previous bike and was pretty pleased with it...but it was a much older unit and I understand the new ones are even much better. So those are pretty much the three options that I have discovered.
Old 02-03-15, 12:58 PM
Sunpilot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got my new Trek DS 8.6 yesterday. I found one in another city, but the trip was worth it. I had my first ride today, and I am very happy with my choice. I looked at the 8.5 but wasn't real excited about the blue color. I paid $1199, so I'm happy. Looking forward to many miles on this baby. Now, I need a GPS...I did use my cell phone and the MapMyRide app today. It linked up with the Trek DuoTrap S installed on the bike, and I went on the website. My whole ride was there on the map, with times, distance, speed, etc. Pretty cool, and the app is free...can't beat that!

Attached Images
New Trek.jpg (98.4 KB, 420 views)
Trek 8.6.jpg (97.8 KB, 429 views)
Old 02-03-15, 02:14 PM
seattlecivic

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm wondering if anyone got any accessories pieces along with their DS with Blendr mount? Like the piece to attach a light or computer. I can't find anywhere to purchase those pieces for the ion 700. I'm wondering if my local bike shop forgot to give it to me. I just got a Trek CD.
Old 02-03-15, 02:49 PM
manc

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seattlecivic
I'm wondering if anyone got any accessories pieces along with their DS with Blendr mount? Like the piece to attach a light or computer. I can't find anywhere to purchase those pieces for the ion 700. I'm wondering if my local bike shop forgot to give it to me. I just got a Trek CD.
The bike shop you bought the bike from should have give you the mount with the bike. They may have forgotten to give it you. But it will be easy for any Trek dealer to get you one.
Old 02-03-15, 05:51 PM
Wittyname
Some Guy on the Road

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot, Trek Domane

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
To sunpilot and seattlecivic, welcome, I hope you both enjoy your new bikes

seattlecivic - Responding to your question about kickstands, there's a Bontrager rear-mount kickstand that I've found I much prefer to a standard mount. Only cost $20, and it felt much more natural to starting off with it more rear-mounted than having to wiggle around the pedal. Picture for reference

Attached Images
20150126_190434_zps7c7e90bb.jpg (45.3 KB, 414 views)
Old 02-03-15, 11:52 PM
seattlecivic

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks cyber.snow, manc, and Wittyname. I called up the bike shop and they did have the pieces I needed which is awesome. While I was there I picked up a front and rear light, bottle cage, and the blendr mounts. I still need to order me that Bontrager kickstand.

I'll keep researching on the computers. I was thinking I might end up doing the Duotrap S + Garmin edge 500. Check out my new pics!

(not sure how to fix the sideways pics, they are normal view on my computer but change after uploading)

Attached Images
IMG_5935.jpg (93.0 KB, 426 views)
IMG_5938.jpg (91.2 KB, 424 views)
IMG_5939.jpg (89.7 KB, 409 views)
IMG_5940.jpg (80.9 KB, 403 views)
IMG_5941.jpg (89.0 KB, 393 views)
IMG_5942.jpg (83.2 KB, 402 views)
IMG_5943.jpg (86.0 KB, 396 views)
IMG_5944.jpg (83.5 KB, 399 views)
IMG_5945.jpg (87.8 KB, 397 views)

Last edited by seattlecivic; 02-03-15 at 11:56 PM.
Likes For seattlecivic:
Old 02-04-15, 06:10 AM
AVLThumper

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great pics seattlecivic. The flat black makes for a great looking bike. How do you plan on using your DS....commuting, trails, recreation? I'm trying to decide between a FX and DS and can't decide if I really need the front suspension.
Old 02-04-15, 08:29 PM
EjF
Awesome Member!

Bikes: 1992 Bridgestone Hybrid, 2015 Trek 8.4 DS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AVLThumper
Great pics seattlecivic. The flat black makes for a great looking bike. How do you plan on using your DS....commuting, trails, recreation? I'm trying to decide between a FX and DS and can't decide if I really need the front suspension.
I recently bougth the twin to Seattle's bike. And your right the flat black is a cool color. I sat on the fence between the FX and DS for a few weeks. Read a ton, Sat on both and decided I like the idea of having the flexibility to take a trail, or jump a curb when ever I wanted. I'll use it mostly around town for errands and on bike and rail trails. I read a bunch of testimonials here on bike forums where people stated there DS kept pretty good pace with some road bikes. And the notion of best of both worlds convinced me to buy the 8.4 DS.

Seattle has good taste! I bought most of the same accessories along with a rack and bag.

Old 02-05-15, 06:03 AM
AVLThumper

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by EjF
I recently bougth the twin to Seattle's bike. And your right the flat black is a cool color. I sat on the fence between the FX and DS for a few weeks. Read a ton, Sat on both and decided I like the idea of having the flexibility to take a trail, or jump a curb when ever I wanted. I'll use it mostly around town for errands and on bike and rail trails. I read a bunch of testimonials here on bike forums where people stated there DS kept pretty good pace with some road bikes. And the notion of best of both worlds convinced me to buy the 8.4 DS.
Congratulations EjF....that's a great looking bike. You guys are killing me! I can't find a single dealership within 100 miles of me that has a DS in stock in a 22.5. I don't want to put down any money on a bike until I know for sure it will fit me. I'm 6'6", so it's a big concern for me. Post back when you've had a few rides. I'd like to hear what you think about it.
Old 02-05-15, 07:45 AM
EjF
Awesome Member!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AVLThumper
You guys are killing me! I can't find a single dealership within 100 miles of me that has a DS in stock in a 22.5. I don't want to put down any money on a bike until I know for sure it will fit me. I'm 6'6", so it's a big concern for me. Post back when you've had a few rides. I'd like to hear what you think about it.
AVL... just thinking here, but why can't your LBS locate the bike you want and bring the bike in for you to see and test it before purchasing? I mean even if you put down 25% with the agreement that if you don't like the fit you either get the money returned to you, or apply it to another bike that does fit?
Old 02-05-15, 09:55 AM

Bikes: 16 Haibike Sdruo Cross SM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I got my new Trek DS 8.6 yesterday. I found one in another city, but the trip was worth it. I had my first ride today, and I am very happy with my choice. I looked at the 8.5 but wasn't real excited about the blue color. I paid $1199, so I'm happy. Looking forward to many miles on this baby. Now, I need a GPS...I did use my cell phone and the MapMyRide app today. It linked up with the Trek DuoTrap S installed on the bike, and I went on the website. My whole ride was there on the map, with times, distance, speed, etc. Pretty cool, and the app is free...can't beat that!

That is probably the sexiest dual sport around. Loving the ideal of a bike that can be ridden everywhere in comfort. I've torn between one of these or a Giant Anyroad. The Anyroad is smooth like butter.

Last edited by 2702; 02-05-15 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-05-15, 06:53 PM
onerugrat

Bikes: 2014 Trek DS 8.4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My new 2014 DS 8.4! Need a kickstand!
Attached Images
image.jpg (94.8 KB, 396 views)
Old 02-05-15, 07:56 PM
EjF
Awesome Member!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by onerugrat
My new 2014 DS 8.4! Need a kickstand!
Have you looked at this one? Bontrager Rear Mount Kickstand - Replacement Parts - Accessories -Trek Store
Old 02-06-15, 01:37 AM
limbot

Bikes: 2014 Avanti Cadent ERII 2, 2013 Trek DS 8.4, 2008 Norco Wolverine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Looking forward to many miles on this baby. Now, I need a GPS...I did use my cell phone and the MapMyRide app today. It linked up with the Trek DuoTrap S installed on the bike, and I went on the website. My whole ride was there on the map, with times, distance, speed, etc. Pretty cool, and the app is free...can't beat that!
I'd suggest you swap from mapmyride to Strava. Strava is much more bike orientated and gives you better info. You'll appreciate the better data as you get more and more into riding!
I started with mapmyride and after a year wanted to swap to Strava but there's no way to bulk transfer your data out of mapmyride. Had to transfer via a third party hack one by one.

(Note if you don't like strava you CAN bulk export your ride into another app)

Holds even if you switch to a GPS rather than your phone.
Old 02-06-15, 01:55 AM
Sunpilot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by limbot
I'd suggest you swap from mapmyride to Strava. Strava is much more bike orientated and gives you better info. You'll appreciate the better data as you get more and more into riding!
I started with mapmyride and after a year wanted to swap to Strava but there's no way to bulk transfer your data out of mapmyride. Had to transfer via a third party hack one by one.

(Note if you don't like strava you CAN bulk export your ride into another app)

Holds even if you switch to a GPS rather than your phone.
Thanks for the info. I'll download it and give it a try. I am thinking about a Garmin Edge 810 ..I'm just happy to be back riding after many problems with my knees. Love this new bike for sure!
Old 02-06-15, 08:57 AM
Gussac73

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hello

I bought a bike Trek DS 8.4 in October/14, in miami, i brougth it to Colombia and now I'm having problems with the Dynadrive FSA crankset it originally has.

Could you please recommend me what cranksets may I use instead of the FSA (i think Shimano are the easiest to find here)

thank you very much
Old 02-06-15, 09:03 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
I built this and sold it, but figured people here might be interested. Trek 8.1 DS (now discontinued, such a shame) converted to drop bar gravel grinder:

New disk wheels, 8sp cass, Avid BB-5r brakes, Shimano 2300 shifters and FD, drop bar, shorter stem, Bontrager 1.9" XO 29r tires. The rear canti studs are removable, the ones on the fork are not, so I decided to disguise the front studs by mounting a VO PassHunter rack.
Old 02-07-15, 03:09 PM
EjF
Awesome Member!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We are ready to Trek just about anywhere!!!

Old 02-14-15, 01:13 AM
quester13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ordered my DS8.6 this week from LBS. Was advised shipments to UK due on 3 and 9 March. Just have to make do until then with my way past it MTB. Was tempted by the 8.5 which is widely available but that blue is just not right for me and the spec upgrades on 8.6 justify the additional outlay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.