Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

New Route Re-kindles My Love for Cycling

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-14, 02:47 PM
Sculptor7

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

My regular 26 mile route along the shore is nice but after hundreds of trips it is wearing a little thin.Today I went inland toward Sebago Lake. 40 miles; a few good hills, traffic in places, got lost a few times even though I had mapped it out with Map My Ride. Yet, all in all, a wonderful day! Started out by giving directions to the lighthouse to a pretty little Chinese cyclist on the bridge. Discovered a few places where you can see for miles; chanced upon the Mountain Division Trail which is a rail/trail. Crossed a bridge where children's laughter was heard down on the river at a summer camp, I guess. Got a double scoop of Beal's ice cream on the way home. A few Chicken McNuggets and part of a Power Bar were fuel enough for the day.

It is amazing how much I enjoyed my ride today. Did not realize how much of a rut I had gotten into.

Last edited by Sculptor7; 08-18-14 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-18-14, 03:31 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
It always amazes me how much me a simple new route or even a bit of a change up can make in the way a ride feels. I have to make myself find new routes or at least change up some of the order or I'll ride myself into that rut you are speaking about. Too much of a creature of habit, I guess.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 08-18-14, 04:10 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I very happy you found a new route to rekindle the pleasure of cycling. Riding new roads is my favorite thing to do on a bike. In my area there are many country roads so that even if I've ridden some of them before it is often a while before I get back to a particular route.
Old 08-18-14, 06:18 PM
ol geezer

Bikes: Pinarello ROKH, Masi CX, Cannondale CAAD X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride some local county roads after work a couple of days a week and, as you say, the regular old routes can start getting a little old. One "trick" I've used is to do them in reverse (these are all loop rides). It's amazing how seeing the same old route "backwards" makes it seem a little fresher. The routes have the same familiar crossroads and landmarks but I get to see them in a new way.
Old 08-19-14, 07:02 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Nice! No pix of the pretty little Chinese cyclist?

Old 08-19-14, 07:49 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Exploring new areas with a bike is what drew my interest to riding town to town when I was a little kid. Seeing what is up around the next corner, over the next hill and generally forgetting all cares in life is the magic of cycling.
Old 08-19-14, 09:31 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Sounds like the perfect sort of ride - especially the ice cream
Old 08-19-14, 10:08 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Variety is the spice of life.
Old 08-19-14, 05:03 PM
Sculptor7

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Nice! No pix of the pretty little Chinese cyclist?
I dropped my camera one time too many so now am sans photographs. Would not have
used the opportunity anyway. It was just a case of helping a "damsel in distress". Hope she got
where she was going okay.
Old 08-19-14, 05:08 PM
Sculptor7

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Exploring new areas with a bike is what drew my interest to riding town to town when I was a little kid. Seeing what is up around the next corner, over the next hill and generally forgetting all cares in life is the magic of cycling.
Yes, that's it exactly. Felt young again. Amazing how timid one can get if not leaving one's comfort zone. "Okay, you can go out and play but don't cross the street!" Sound familiar?

I crossed the bridge.
Old 08-19-14, 08:44 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I love exploring new places on a bike. Lucky for me, we have the Oregon and California Railroad lands (no railroad, just forest, tree farms, creeks and rivers in the coast range) relatively close to where I live. There's oodles of unpaved logging roads and plenty of paved roads to explore. It's even fun to grind up a hill only to find a dead end. I don't know how many centuries and double centuries I have ridden out there, often with plans for the former but changes leading to the latter, but it's been a lot.

Two nights ago a neighbor came a-knockin' on my door around 9:00 PM. He was heading out to ride up a butte in town that I had never been up. he invited my family and I to join him. It was great fun and there was even a cemetery with many familiar names on the headstones at the top. I have always enjoyed cemeteries. Maybe I'll settle down in one some day.
Old 08-19-14, 08:55 PM
cobolman

Bikes: 2014 Bianchi Volpe and 15 Yr Old Schwinn Mountain Bike.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ol geezer
One "trick" I've used is to do them in reverse (these are all loop rides). It's amazing how seeing the same old route "backwards" makes it seem a little fresher. The routes have the same familiar crossroads and landmarks but I get to see them in a new way.

I too have a 20 mile llop that I can ride in either direction. The only problem is one hill that I am not able to climb when I go from west to east. On the other hand going est to west is fun as I fly down the same hill
Old 08-19-14, 08:57 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
I have always enjoyed cemeteries. Maybe I'll settle down in one some day.
Indubitably.
Old 08-20-14, 06:20 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
A new route can be fun. Sometimes, just riding the same old route in the opposite direction is good also.
Old 08-20-14, 09:34 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,229 Posts
There's something to be said for the old, too familiar 25 mi route - base miles for cardio continuity and longevity. But really nice to jump outta the rut. Good story.
Old 08-20-14, 09:48 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Being able to explore new roads, places, etc. is what first attracted me to bicycles as a kid. Still feel the same way about it today. Adventure is good.
Old 08-27-14, 03:10 AM
Rehab

Bikes: Catrike 700, Lightning Thunderbolt, EZ Sport AX, Giordano Viaggio tandem

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really enjoy doing loop rides in different directions according to the wind direction and my frame of mind. It really helps to mix things up. I also sometimes go exploring with no real plan, get lost, and then find my way home. I have had some of the best rides that way but have gone over the intended distance by as much as 10 miles because I was lost.
Old 08-27-14, 04:34 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
It always amazes me how much me a simple new route or even a bit of a change up can make in the way a ride feels. I have to make myself find new routes or at least change up some of the order or I'll ride myself into that rut you are speaking about. ...
I'm very motivated by novelty, and stymied by boredom on a bike, but I do have the motivation of commuting to work. I have found that when I drive my frequent, decades-old routes I often notice things I had not seen before. I think it’s because I can look around at more than just the road surface when driving. So when the commute is getting too familiar, I just raise my head higher and look over a wider field of view.

I particularly seek novelty on my long Saturday rides. On last Saturday's ride (8/22/14) I pondered my routes:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
… A recent Metro Boston post however suggested another itinerary in a sector of the Metroverse* I haven’t ridden in lately, so I decided on that new destination, I'm calling the "Magical Mystery Tour" because

Originally Posted by Kurt Vonnegut
”Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God.”
…On my speedy downhill, I actually missed the left-hand split of Lexington St, and got on to Bacon St. I did know Bacon St because of a prior ride to Waltham this summer. As usual it was novel because I was riding in the opposite direction.

… for the past few years after doing training rides all around the Metroverse*, I have thought this about these long rides. Whereas inhabitants of neighborhoods know their areas as an entirety, I know them as routes with peculiar things I note as landmarks. It becomes very satisfying when I ride a new route and it suddenly intercepts a familiar route in the same neighborhood, and that neigborhood now becomes more of an entirety to me too. Often when I meet someone new, I ask them where they live because invariably I’ve ridden through their neighborhood, and that question spurs a lively conversation.
*I post to the Regional Discussion thread, “Metro Boston: Good ride today?,” and since Boston has been nicknamed “Hub of the Universe.” I like to call the myriad of riding possibilities the “Metroverse,” and posted a ”Cyclist’s Guide to the Metroverse.”

One other whimsical technique on familiar roads is to imagine I'm riding with a certain fellow BF subscriber from the Midwest I enjoy reading, and I'm showing him around on my route. I particularly enjoy having visitors to Boston and take them on tours, as rtool (not my imaginary friend) commented on this year’s Sixth Annual Fifty-Plus Ride:

Originally Posted by rtool
Spent a great weekend with Jim (Jimfromboston)…Jim is quite the tour leader. Very knowledgeable about Boston and passed on lots of it’s history...

Originally Posted by Steven Wright
”I have an imaginary friend, but he won’t play with me.”

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-27-14 at 04:47 AM.
Old 08-27-14, 05:26 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I can relate to the change in scenery. I've found I need to do different venues just to keep from getting stale. I even had to resort to buy a new bike along the way as well. Any new bikes in the plans**********?
Old 08-27-14, 07:11 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Whenever I get stuck in a rut, I'll do a familiar loop 'backwards'. It's amazing how hard, or easy, a hills on a route can be when approached from a different direction.
Meeting a cyclist that is not from your area is always nice. I once met a Englishman that was near the end of his third cross USA trip. He too needed a confirmation on his directions. It was nice to chat with him. He told me that the roads I ride all the time, and have become a little boring to me, are great road for riding. Made me pause and realize that, yeah, they are great for riding.