Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Too many bikes: there are reasons

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Too many bikes: there are reasons

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-21, 08:14 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 410 Posts
I have 18 (one out for a respray) if you don't count my families bikes (5) but I am fortunate my shop is 36'x44' . To your points:
1. I like Craig'sList. I list a bike at a slight premium trying to keep flippers/strippers away and give me a chance to give the right buyer a good discount, which I find people love. Just sold a Craig's local listing to a nice guy 450 miles away, who has a Colnago and wanted to try the Gilco tubed Master. Got young man near me to box it up. Probably made a couple hundred under what I could get but everyone is happy. I was very surprised at the low cost to ship on Shipbikes.
2. Maybe you have just had bad luck with Ebay, my sales have gone well but agree boxing stinks. The young man a mile from me does it for $50 if you provide the box.
3. I like our market place, just sold a new friend a 1,000 miles away a saddle he needed at a good price and we are both happy.
4. Agree with you.
5. Big advantage here being near a town of 1/2 million so we have great bike specific donation options helping kids and those in need not just your usual Goodwill or Salvation Army.
I need to move a few bikes, frames, and lots of parts, but it is all good.
Old 01-31-21, 08:26 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,990 Times in 1,777 Posts
Funny to see this thread now too. I got up yesterday morning with the plan to take several of the "project" bikes outside. I was going to grab some current pics of them and put them up for sale locally. Was even considering a couple of the bikes I didn't think I'd ever let go of. Needless to say I found a reason or two not to do this but I really probably should.....maybe......someday......soon.....when hell freezes over.....tomorrow......today......someday......

Even if I let all of these go I'd still be sitting at over 20 wonderfully riding bikes.....

Old 01-31-21, 09:40 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Counting how many bikes one has at a time is always so complex. Right now, there are eight on the rack ready to go, plus one on the trainer. But the frame of the one on the trainer is a placeholder for the frame that’s currently out for a respray. So does that make it nine...or ten? And there are three frames in storage ready to be built up, with full groups in the closet and tires mounted on wheelsets...so am I cheating to say nine (or ten) and not eleven (or twelve)? How about the yet-to-be-delivered custom frame for my 70th birthday, for which there is yet another group and wheelset in the closet...does that make it nine, or ten, or thirteen,or what?

BTW, have no problem with actual selling or shipping, but for the fact that I love them all and don’t wish to move any along at the moment.

Am I in a worse position than Neal? Maybe...I sold him a bike and then bought it back less than a year later!
Good to admit your mistake. Good friend to help you reverse your mistake
Must be a very special 70th BD bike ?
Old 01-31-21, 10:06 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,801 Times in 2,285 Posts
Sometimes I think all we do is trade bikes between ourselves. I don't know if it's sad or cool that I know that @nlerner and @Andy_K ride the same size bike. Scarrier still is the recent knowledge that @obrentharris and I are bicycle twins.

Last edited by gugie; 01-31-21 at 11:05 AM.
Likes For gugie:
Old 01-31-21, 10:08 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 498 Posts
What size ? Maybe I can get in
Old 01-31-21, 11:14 AM
orcas island 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 109 Posts
I’ve been really fortunate over the past decade with the bikes I’ve “cycled” through. I’m down to seven at this point; all my size and all basically paid for by sales of others that have moved through here. I really enjoy buying, refurbishing and riding each of these for a time, then turning them loose.
I’m happy with what I have (all bikes I wanted as a younger person but couldn’t afford) and I’m really going to try looking less at Craigslist...

There is a lot of functional redundancy in the group (Sport-touring with wide range gearing) and I could probably get the herd down to two of them and not be missing anything. I doubt I will; somehow I just like knowing that they are there. I’ll leave that winnowing to my kids after I’m gone!
The current pile stands as this: Centurion Semi-Pro, Raleigh Internationals (2), Specialized Sequoia (2), Specialized Expedition, Gitane Super Corsa. I’d like to ride more, wrench less from this point going forward.
Likes For orcas island:
Old 01-31-21, 01:33 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Sometimes I think all we do is trade bikes between ourselves. I don't know if it's sad or cool that I know that @nlerner and @Andy_K ride the same size bike. Scarrier still is the recent knowledge that @obrentharris and I are bicycle twins.
That's most of what happens with me and buyers and sellers up here. Like some weird version of having a lawyer on retainer, just with bikes that we've sold to other people.
Old 01-31-21, 01:59 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Originally Posted by merziac
@RiddleOfSteel

I would encourage you to explore having a Davidson built, there website hasn't been updated since 2019 so.....

It may be too late, if not, I would seriously consider it, just sayin.
It may be too late, or it simply may be too late for a steel frame. Ti is neat, but I'm not in it for the super OS tubed + straight blade fork look if I'm going custom. There was a '00s Holland Ti bike for $1500 (complete) on eBay for a month or so--bang on my desired specs. Great shape, Dura-Ace, level top tube, etc, but I passed (for reasons). I'm thankful to have a friend close enough in height that has relayed to me his experience on numerous Ti bikes, which helps me get some bearing on where it realistically sits in comparison to nice steel.

I'm still in love with gloss painted frames and long point chrome lugs (aka Cinelli via Centurion), thus steel remains the material for me. I'd probably go with a Jeff Lyon frame as they are so very lovely, not a million dollars, and in (southern) Oregon. Springy ride, mid-'80s Paramount angles and fork rake but with a slightly shorter TT, smooth/continually curved fork with a fully sloping crown, vertical rear dropouts, 66 or 67cm, the list goes on.

The vintage bike appreciator and seeker in me also considers what he could find that is close in desired spec that wouldn't cost custom money or take time to produce, and that's essentially an '85 Trek 660/670 in 65cm (25.5") form. Tired paint? No matter, strip and powder coat my desired color and hang pretty parts on it. 660/670's use the exact same tubing as the 620 of the same year (aka what I have), so if that's any indicator of what the ride would be like, count me in.

Last edited by RiddleOfSteel; 01-31-21 at 06:02 PM.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 01-31-21, 01:59 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I have far too many bikes and also find that as I get more vintage myself (i.e., old), I have less and less interest in actually riding vintage bikes.
Originally Posted by gugie
I don't know if it's sad or cool that I know that @nlerner and @Andy_K ride the same size bike.
In light of the first quote, I'd have to say the second is cool, not sad. I would note, however, that I think there has only been one frame going each direction so far. Perhaps the much more significant implication is that either Neal or I could potentially travel cross country for a bike ride without taking a bike, which has happened. If we mapped out more of this kind of knowledge, many more of us could have such a possibility. Now, if you'll excuse me I need to go do a trademark search for AirC&V.
Old 01-31-21, 02:25 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,801 Times in 2,285 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
In light of the first quote, I'd have to say the second is cool, not sad. I would note, however, that I think there has only been one frame going each direction so far. Perhaps the much more significant implication is that either Neal or I could potentially travel cross country for a bike ride without taking a bike, which has happened. If we mapped out more of this kind of knowledge, many more of us could have such a possibility. Now, if you'll excuse me I need to go do a trademark search for AirC&V.
Kind of a takeoff on the zero bike concept!

Say, rather than invest in many bikes, of which only one can be ridden at a time by the owner, perhaps we could consider the software floating license scheme. You have 100 users of the software, but only a few are using it at any given time. CAD software is commonly licensed this way to larger companies where the statistics work out. The same idea would apply to bikes.

Find people that fit the same on a bike as you do (with minor adjustments), and you've got a share rental agreement, with reservation calendars, etc.

If you could figure out a way to spend a lot of money from angel investors, I'm sure we could take this public before anyone realized
Old 01-31-21, 02:48 PM
homelessjoe

Bikes: miyata 83 1000,84 1000,83 610,88 ridge runner ,Schwinn 84 high sierra,88 Cimmeron,86 Passage,84 Stumplumper ,83 Mt Whitney,83 Trek 850,Merckx Century,PX10, RB1,XO 1 XO 4,bunch of stuff like that

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 42 Posts
biking

Since the plague lockdown Ive built/restored six bikes ...I didnt want six new bikes I didnt need six new bikes In fact Im irritated that I have six new bikes.....but I loved building them with a passion.......they are art projects for me .............Im creating fine art...........fixing and riding them has been my hobby my whole life..................i just build em and stack them up in a big pile ................Ive made way more money on bikes than Ive spent on them and I have a barn full ....Ive never lost money on a bike.......if I need tires or parts or a new project I will liquidate a couple.......the pile grows on its own.......its alive....its not my fault.......THEN .....people are always giving me bikes and trolling me with incredible deals.......they think they are doing me a favor.......they dont realize that they are feeding the Kraken cookies
Likes For homelessjoe:
Old 01-31-21, 03:03 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
Good to admit your mistake. Good friend to help you reverse your mistake
Must be a very special 70th BD bike ?
Yes, it was.
Yes, he is (although of course I spent a bunch of money on upgrades, so there’s that)
Yes it is, a custom that will be revealed when it arrives in the Summer, hopefully before my 70th.
Old 01-31-21, 03:32 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
I keep adding.
Not too fast.
Not just anything, but admittedly the close-in interest has a new branch or two.
Vintage city builds (2-3 in stock), and maybe deceased American frame builders.
Buddy, can 'ya spare a Della Santa?

Retired, a 35 year roadie, who enjoys being outdoors.....
Cheaper than hookers&blow.

I keep swearing the next house will have a large display room + workshop.

The wrenching, the riding, the parts list pursuit, the fun, the Forum of like-minded, etc = ALWAYS leads to a little junk hangover.

Last edited by Wildwood; 01-31-21 at 03:40 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 01-31-21, 03:52 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,386 Times in 3,671 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
It may be too late, or it simply may be too late for a steel frame. Ti is neat, but I'm not in it for the super OS tubed + straight blade fork look if I'm going custom. There was a '00s Holland Ti bike for $1500 (complete) on eBay for a month or so--bang on my desired specs. Great shape, Dura-Ace, level top tube, etc, but I passed (for reasons). I'm thankful to have a friend close enough in height that has relayed to me his experience on numerous Ti bikes, which helps me get some bearing on where it realistically sits in comparison to nice steel.

I'm still in love with gloss painted frames and long point chrome lugs (aka Cinelli via Centurion), thus steel remains the material for me. I'd probably go with a Jeff Lyon frame as they are so very lovely, not a million dollars, and in (southern) Oregon. Springy ride, mid-'80s Paramount angles and fork rake but with a slightly shorter TT, smooth/continually curved fork with a fully sloping crown, vertical rear dropouts, 66 or 67cm, the list goes on.

The vintage bike appreciator and seeker in me also considers what he could find that is close in desired spec that would cost custom money or take time to produce, and that's essentially an '85 Trek 660/670 in 65cm (25.5") form. Tired paint? No matter, strip and powder coat my desired color and hang pretty parts on it. 660/670's use the exact same tubing as the 620 of the same year (aka what I have), so if that's any indicator of what the ride would be like, count me in.
That was largely my point, If Davidson is still doing custom, they would be one of the ones on the short list to do an oldschool build.

Of course I would also consider Dave at TiCycles, he is in the category of builders who have built so many different kinds of bikes while also having built, repaired and modified so many steel frames, especially oldschool.

One thing that I believe gets lost in translation some is as an informed or not buyer, you/we have a vision, wants, needs, etc. The builder has rules, limits and guidelines that may or may not facilitate our whims, the ability of the builder to transform that into your "dream" bike is very challenging at best.

Many think the extreme cost makes their whims a given and I believe this is not always the case, our perception is skewed by thinking they can build anything we want and make turn out exactly the way we want.

Often it comes out right because of the great talent the builder has but It is also contingent on the buyer realizing that a part of their ask may be too challenging to overcome to your satisfaction. The builders compromise or workaround may not sit well with you at all, at which point you can be too unhappy to get over it whether it works well or not, you become your own worst enemy.

My Strawberry ended up with a couple of things that were unexpected and seemed off to me initially, turned out to be Dave's magic coming through in spades.

The more I ride it, the better it rides, amazing.

I have great respect for the ability of the builder to weigh all the wants, needs and challenges to get your nonsense to become a reality.

Good call on a Lyon as well, Dave's closer though.
Old 01-31-21, 03:58 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Number 4
you have my permission
much less worry to ship parts and or a frame.
John Barron of Velostuf long ago complained about the whole bike parting out poor return equation.
with rare exception it is truth
that written, no loss to advertise them here.
or even CL ( nearest larger metro market)
one CAN always drive if motivated enough with ok weather.
Yeah, I agree. I'm the opposite of Mr. Spock. The needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many. I'll strip down a few bikes to make the one right bike. They're just bikes.
Old 01-31-21, 04:40 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,290 Times in 1,279 Posts
As long as I have room , and l do, if I like the bike and know I will ride it I usually get it. I don’t buy that many and I don’t want to actually count them. I do think about the maintenance and cleaning but it is still manageable so I don’t worry too much. I check the air in the tires and if they are soft I pump them up and ride that bike. I keep track of my rides and which bike I rode which is just part of my hobby. I was looking at a carbon bike that I actually liked at the Trek shop. It was beautiful and so light but then I saw the price and about fell over , almost $10,000 . I don’t have that much in all my collection so I felt relieved. I talked to a guy who had a sizable collection and hadn’t ridden in years, he just likes collecting and tinkering, who’s to say?
Old 01-31-21, 04:52 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I have more bike projects on hand than I need for sure. But I enjoy the hobby, prices are reasonable, and there's always the thrill of finding the next cool bike that may pop up, right? I picked up this 70s era Motobecane Grand Record for no good reason other than the price was right and I always wanted to rebuild and ride an old Motobecane like this. I had fun rebuilding it and I have fun riding it. I have a hard time turning down cool old projects that show up and are mainly original like this.

Likes For bikemig:
Old 01-31-21, 06:32 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Originally Posted by merziac
That was largely my point, If Davidson is still doing custom, they would be one of the ones on the short list to do an oldschool build.

Of course I would also consider Dave at TiCycles, he is in the category of builders who have built so many different kinds of bikes while also having built, repaired and modified so many steel frames, especially oldschool.

One thing that I believe gets lost in translation some is as an informed or not buyer, you/we have a vision, wants, needs, etc. The builder has rules, limits and guidelines that may or may not facilitate our whims, the ability of the builder to transform that into your "dream" bike is very challenging at best.

Many think the extreme cost makes their whims a given and I believe this is not always the case, our perception is skewed by thinking they can build anything we want and make turn out exactly the way we want.

Often it comes out right because of the great talent the builder has but It is also contingent on the buyer realizing that a part of their ask may be too challenging to overcome to your satisfaction. The builders compromise or workaround may not sit well with you at all, at which point you can be too unhappy to get over it whether it works well or not, you become your own worst enemy.

My Strawberry ended up with a couple of things that were unexpected and seemed off to me initially, turned out to be Dave's magic coming through in spades.

The more I ride it, the better it rides, amazing.

I have great respect for the ability of the builder to weigh all the wants, needs and challenges to get your nonsense to become a reality.

Good call on a Lyon as well, Dave's closer though.
I will consider Ti Cycles as well, then (or at least add them to the dream list). Thank you for the heads up.

Thankfully, my desired build has a large aesthetic component (I mean, always...lol) instead of some out-of-orbit criteria. Frame angles and specs done a million times before, just a little taller than the normal range. Standard tubes, sane/extant lugs. I'm not even going for the ultra thin wall tubing. I'd absolutely love to hear, from experienced framebuilders, the tubing elements that go into tuning ride quality, responsiveness, and stiffness/flex--more so than what I've already explored, experienced, read, and discussed. To talk, Designer to Designer, delving into the nuances, enjoying the creative process in bringing about an ideal result.

Getting back to more bikes that one, I'm up to discover and pick up a few I have in mind : 25.5" Centurion Semi-Pro's etc, the aforementioned Trek 66/670s, nice 66cm Lotuses and Koga-Miyatas, and whatever else hits my desired geo specs and is pretty. There was a 66cm Davidson Impulse a year or two ago that was for sale for cheap. It had tragically been Drew'd but otherwise looked to be essentially my 64cm version just with more ST. That can be my white whale, or Sasquatch, or Holy Grail. Just put a "In Search Of" post on CL. If it is anything like my 64cm Impulse, it'll be perfect. That, would be hard to sell.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 01-31-21, 07:17 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you but here lately I've been tinkering with #1, but not without extra hassles I don't want to deal with, hassles that make me question "what the hell am I doing?".

Originally Posted by jonwvara
3. Sell them through the BF marketplace? No, because most of the people around here are nearly as cheap as I am. If they sold at all, it would only be at a sweetheart price, probably to a profit-minded member who would part them out and use the money to buy a different bike, from someone other than me.
You know, I don't mind offering a great price on bikes if it's going to a BF'er who knows what it is and won't be giving me a hassle. I just feel guilty listing anything here because S&H is rarely less than $100-200 whether you pay a shop to pack or it yourself. Even a great price, or a total sweetheart price, once you tack on the shipping, it's just ... ugh. Not good, not when many of us know we can find a better deal being patient and keeping eyes peeled on the auction sites and local listings.

4. Part them out myself? No, because that would be shameful. They deserve to stay in one piece.
Not to mention the hassle of packing box after box after box. I sent out 7 packages last week, some paid, some pay-it-forwards, one pay-it-back. Sometimes it's tough to come up with packing supplies and boxes for that much stuff, and a single parted bike could result in two dozen different shipments.

5. Put them out by the mailbox with a FREE sign? No, because some local would take them and abuse the heck out of them, and it would make me very sad to see the result every time I passed through the village.
Better off selling on consignment at a trendy bike shop or co-op, giving them their 20-30%, and ... moving right along.

Old 01-31-21, 07:28 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile
You know, I don't mind offering a great price on bikes if it's going to a BF'er who knows what it is and won't be giving me a hassle. I just feel guilty listing anything here because S&H is rarely less than $100-200 whether you pay a shop to pack or it yourself. Even a great price, or a total sweetheart price, once you tack on the shipping, it's just ... ugh. Not good, not when many of us know we can find a better deal being patient and keeping eyes peeled on the auction sites and local listings.
You kind of put your finger on it here. Even a stupidly low price seems high once you add shipping (and the human cost of packing a bike.) I would never consider paying as much for one of my bikes on this forum as I would have to charge for one. And if I wouldn't pay that much, it just seems kind of... I don't know...unfriendly to ask/expect someone else to. Sure, others spend money less painfully than I do, etc., etc. Irrational, maybe, but there it is.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Likes For jonwvara:
Old 01-31-21, 07:34 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked 3,129 Times in 1,968 Posts
Wait...you can sell bikes...?

Luckily my addiction has been redirected to buying and remaking vintage bikes for my students...amazing how I can’t help but upgrade here and there...

of course, sadly I will likely be selling a few frames in the spring...they will pop up here.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 01-31-21, 07:41 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1951 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
Just put them on CL and renew when you think of it. Clean them and hang them up while you ride the Keepers. As they hang there unridden, they could decrease in their value to you (unless it's a wallhanger in the den). I got down to three recently and while I miss my other keepers, it is very satisfying riding each of my bikes regularly. Over the last three days, I rode all of my bikes.
Old 01-31-21, 08:57 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
@jonwvara, you didn't come here to ask for help, did you? That would be like attending an AA meeting at a bar.

I think your reasons are valid except for the one about parting out a bike. If you put your labor and love into building a bike, that doesn't mean it must stay that way. But it's up to you, and 8 bikes doesn't sound like many to me. That's how many I have, counting the tandem my spouse and I ride.

I imagine I might eventually take on @nlerner's point of view if I take a long term sample of a modern bike. I'll be swayed over to that side, because I know they really are better in many ways (though not all ways). But so far, I'm happy with my old bikes. At this point, I'm thinking of doing some touch up paint on my winter bike, but it's my winter bike, so either I have to wait until late spring or shlep a bike from NYC to here so I can paint the bike I have here.

I stopped acquiring bikes a few years ago and don't get the urge much anymore. There was a Raleigh Gran Sport on craigslist locally for an insanely low price, and I was tempted, but I left it there. The ad is now gone, thank goodness. One problem is that I am bad at finishing projects, and it makes me sad when I have so many things left undone.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 01-31-21, 09:13 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Much like @noglider, I don't buy too much anymore and if I do, I am pretty good about selling it quickly if I don't love it or giving it to friends who express interest in bikes.
I have 3 road bikes and that feels like it has been working well. Enough variety but not too much to maintain.
I have also taken to giving away bikes or helping folks build bikes using stuff I have. That has been a lot of fun and maybe somethin the OP could do?
Find someone who is interested and give them a bike and help them learn how to maintain it. Its pretty fun IMHO.
Old 01-31-21, 10:53 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
I think 8 is a great number, was determined to stop at 7, and that lasted about a year and a half. Just picked up a Trek 670 from another forum member, couldn’t resist. But that’s it, no more! Guess I’m not much help, sorry.
Tim

And so it begins, again!
Likes For tkamd73:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.