Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Campy high flange hubs laced to rims- should I cut them from their rims?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Campy high flange hubs laced to rims- should I cut them from their rims?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-21, 06:36 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,639 Times in 2,602 Posts
Cut ‘em out, clean ‘em up, sell ‘em off.
Old 04-08-21, 09:29 AM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Cut ‘em out, clean ‘em up, sell ‘em off.
Yeah, there is really no reason to be precious about this. In both cases the hubs will likely sell for as much as the wheels and be much easier to ship. Plus, with the hubs loose you will be able to shine them up better, which will probably mean a higher selling price.

If it was me I might save the stainless spokes, but no big deal either way.

Then if the rims are in OK shape you can probably sell them separately. Bonus!

Just be sure to remove the freewheel before cutting the hubs out! It is insanely difficult to remove a freewheel from an unbuilt hub.
Old 04-08-21, 11:23 AM
Sciguy 

Location: Constableville, NY between the Tug Hill plateau and the Adirondacks

Bikes: Fugi Jari, Surly Ice Cream Truck, ancient Litespeed 26er, Cervelo P3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by lostarchitect
Yeah, there is really no reason to be precious about this. In both cases the hubs will likely sell for as much as the wheels and be much easier to ship. Plus, with the hubs loose you will be able to shine them up better, which will probably mean a higher selling price.

If it was me I might save the stainless spokes, but no big deal either way.

Then if the rims are in OK shape you can probably sell them separately. Bonus!

Just be sure to remove the freewheel before cutting the hubs out! It is insanely difficult to remove a freewheel from an unbuilt hub.
I'm still hunting for my 2 prong removal tool. to pull that one off. How could I have ever misplaced it. I'm sure I must have last used it in the late 70s
Old 04-09-21, 07:27 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
If in Southern California, Craigslist has a decent reach.
be sure to remove the freewheel before cutting that wheel apart... the Bicycle Stand in Long Beach will have the proper tool, I do as well.

mossing skewers will drag on the price- find them if you can.

the tubulars official reasonably straight and dent free- leave them together. I cannot tell if stainless spokes from the images.

the 27” rims have a narrower market. Less tire choice. Those could end up with the hubs being a core for new wheels.

threading on the hubs is the last item, with a Regina freewheel, not likely French- but a look would be useful, probably decoder ring time- my bet before the thread spec was stamped out explicitly.
Old 04-09-21, 07:30 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
That is what I get for reading before putting on the glasses... sciguy...

read as scl...

same applies
Old 04-09-21, 07:54 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
be sure to remove the freewheel before cutting that wheel apart... the Bicycle Stand in Long Beach will have the proper tool, I do as well.

the tubulars official reasonably straight and dent free- leave them together. I cannot tell if stainless spokes from the images.

the 27” rims have a narrower market. Less tire choice. Those could end up with the hubs being a core for new wheels.

threading on the hubs is the last item, with a Regina freewheel, not likely French- but a look would be useful, probably decoder ring time- my bet before the thread spec was stamped out explicitly.
No, take them apart. The wheels are not built correctly. Who would want them built like that?
Old 04-09-21, 08:07 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
I say.... never cut the spokes, that's something hackers do. Undo them. You didn't say if you had a freewheel still on the hub? Once in a while someone comes here and asks how to get a freewheel off a hub that was cut off the rim.
Yeah, if there is a freewheel on the hub DO NOT CUT THE SPOKES.
Old 04-09-21, 02:49 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage

+1 which ever way you go remove the freewheel and. service the hubs before you delace or cut. Removing the free wheel and servicing the hubs is about ten time easier when there laced to a wheel
Old 04-13-21, 03:19 AM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Sciguy
Thanks for the quick and well reasoned reply. I'm worried about the substantial jump in cost to ships boxes of greater than 1 cubic foot that USPS having shipped some cross country skis this past winter. I built both wheel sets in ~ 1974 and wonder if the nipples will be a bit tough to turn after 37 years

Hugh
Originally Posted by machinist42
Price out the transport of the wheels on Shipbikes and you may find it's about the same as shipping only the hubs USPS?
Agree with this, both Shipbikes and Bikeflights will give you the best discount shipping prices on bike parts and wheel boxes via FedEx and UPS respectively. I priced out shipping a bike frame and parts from Austin Tx to Los Angeles and the quotes were about $65 +/- $5. So shipping a wheel box isn't that difficult if someone wanted them whole. Depends on your time and perceived labor vs wanting to conserve them for the next owner. Your choice.