Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replacing a Freehub body??

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-21, 06:21 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts

As I start a bit of maintenance on my touring bike getting ready for our next tour I was curious about replacing the above. Wondering how to choose a new one? Are they specific to the hub? Are there " better" grades?
Thanks!
Old 04-16-21, 06:34 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
It is a Shimano hub 9 speed.
Old 04-16-21, 06:35 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
As I start a bit of maintenance on my touring bike getting ready for our next tour I was curious about replacing the above. Wondering how to choose a new one? Are they specific to the hub? Are there " better" grades?
Thanks!
They're specific for the hub. For some hubs you can choose some variants eg: Shimano HG, Microspline, xD, and sometimes the same variant may be available in aluminium or steel. I think that's all.

I wouldn't replace the freehub unless it's broken IMHO. You should make sure to lubricate it though. Normally you should lubricate it with a thin oil if it has pawls, or with a thin grease if it has ratchet mechanism,
Old 04-16-21, 06:46 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
For Shimano hubs the freehub bodies have some interchangeability within series. For example an 8/9/10-speed 105 hub can take a similar vintage Ultegra freehub body. Just be sure to have matching seals to accompany the replacement body.
Old 04-16-21, 09:51 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
Generally one first tries the OEM spec replacement to eliminate the "oops I got the wrong one" moment after the bike is already taken apart. As said there can be some options to materials made in compatible freehubs but not all manufacturers (as opposed to the branded name on the hub) make the same fit in differing versions. Shimano has had compatibility charts available over the years in their tech docs. Accessing these docs can be a challenge and I don't have the magic link for your specific hub. I never suggest subbing an Al splined version for a steel as the Al splines will get dinged by the cogs over time, few people will also change their cassette to a version that has as many cogs on carriers to reduce this notching of the freehub body (and then also replace the chain to go with that new cassette)

Generally the bearing and ratchet (ring types and pawl types are both ratchets BTW) remain the same regardless of the splined outer body material. So the "upgrade" is more about weight loss VS shorter term spline life.

Shimano freehub bodies are quite easily serviced with the common flushing out of old grit/lube and replenishing lube with a medium weight oil dripped through the body. I would suggest doing this every time one overhauls the axle bearings, about once a year or three, use dependent. Andy
Old 04-16-21, 10:57 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I never suggest subbing an Al splined version for a steel as the Al splines will get dinged by the cogs over time, few people will also change their cassette to a version that has as many cogs on carriers to reduce this notching of the freehub body........
+1 Aluminum freehub bodies are generally a poor idea unless specifically designed to tolerate the cog's wear pattern. Campy makes suitably resistant aluminum freehub bodies as did Shimano with their short-lived 10-speed only 7800 series hubs and contemporary Dura Ace and Ultegra wheelsets by making the splines taller and the notches in the cogs deeper to distribute the loads better. Other than that, Shimano freehub bodies are steel for most groups and Ti for Dura Ace (and XTR?).
Old 04-16-21, 12:08 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
There used to be a .pdf online of shimano freehub body interchangeability by hub and shimano freehub body P/N. If you have a specific hub, I can look it up and give you other hubs where the body was used. Just an example the freehub body on the DX FH-M650 is the same as the 105 FH-1055.

Over the past year I have swapped out 4/5 non-officially-compatible freehub bodies. Much of it depends on the freehub body shoulder (deep or shallow) and the diameter of the freehub body seal. But there are a few of the newer ones that won't work; in addition to the 74xx freehub bodies.

I would think that the bearing surfaces (freehub body cup) on the higher end Dura Ace/Ultegra and XT/XTR are of better quality and will spin smoother. Wheels Mfg makes aftermarket cones that seem to be well made. If you do find a suitable replacement freehub body, try to get the complete hub, especially if it is the same model as what you currently have. This way you will have replacement cones and seals.

John

Edit Added: You can also remove a working Shimano freehub body off an unlaced hub by mounting a 28t or so on the hub and filling the rest of the body with spacers or small cogs. make a cut-out on a board for the hub to go through and and hold the 28t cog to the board with a couple of lag screws. Generally a 10mm allen wrench in a breaker bar makes short work of it.

Last edited by 70sSanO; 04-16-21 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-16-21, 03:13 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 233 Posts
Much of it depends on the freehub body shoulder (deep or shallow).

Think that this what 70sSanO is referring to. Note the difference in how far the rear of the body would be in the hub shell.

Seen listings on many online vendor web sites that have the wrong photo. Beware!