Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

More Gravel Adventure!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

More Gravel Adventure!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-18, 09:42 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
More Gravel Adventure!!

I'm REALLY enjoying riding the new gravel bike and all the different roads it takes me into some pretty remote areas of NC. Most of the remaining dirt & gravel roads in Western NC are in the hills and mountains. So, every ride I've done (except for the New River Trail in VA) has involved a good bit of climbing.

Yesterday was no different doing a ride out of Love Valley. My friends gave me even more dirt roads to rides and they didn't disappoint. My descending skills are much better now. I was really way too tense descending and it helps to just let the bike go. Getting the tire pressure is critical as well. I think I've found the sweet spot with my 35 mm Kenda Happy Mediums and when these wear out I'll look at getting some 40's.

Who else is enjoying riding gravel roads?

Here are a few photos from yesterday's 61 miler with 6500' of climbing. A pretty big ride on mostly dirt and gravel. You can really get a heck of a workout doing these roads.

The start and finish

IMG_0817 by joe price, on Flickr

Peach trees were in full blossom. There are lots of peach and apple orchards in this area

image4 by joe price, on Flickr

image5 by joe price, on Flickr

A nice distance view (looking east) near the top of one of the longer dirt climbs

image7 by joe price, on Flickr

A really old homeplace way off main roads on another dirt road. Would love to know the history of this old farm

image6 by joe price, on Flickr

I needed to share the dirt roads with lots of horse riders the last few miles. I eased by so as to not spook any horses. Apparently this was a big weekend for horse back riding in the area.

image3 by joe price, on Flickr

Some of the stats

image2 by joe price, on Flickr

image1 by joe price, on Flickr
Old 03-31-18, 03:22 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
While I'm happier on pavement, I have ridden some gravel/dirt roads on my Charge Plug (adventure bike/semi-touring) with 700x38s which I think is the practical size limit with fenders on this bike. I much prefer gravel on my 26-inch MTB, and not because of the straight-bars...I prefer my road-bars; but my MTB allows wider tires. In past non-winter months I have run everything from aggressively-treaded 26x2.00 dirt tires, to 1.5 smoothies, and for me, a pair of 26x1.75 hybrid street/dirt tires was the most enjoyable on dirt/gravel. They had a smooth center section for the road, with knobby "shoulders" for dirt. The volume of the tires provided some cushioning over the rough stuff. Since I mostly commute on pavement I found the loss of grip while cornering disconcerting, but on dirt and gravel the "shoulder-knobs" worked great. I don't know if hybrid knobbies are looked kindly upon, but they worked for me.

I suppose if I could find a drop-bar gravel/adventure bike that could wear 700x45 hybrid street/dirt tires I'd enjoy gravel riding more.

FWIW I have ridden a fat bike with what were at least 4" tires (and most likely wider). Aside from the novelty of riding over parking risers and up a curb, gravel embankment, across a roadway and down some loose flagstone without missing a beat, it was not the "carving up a road" feeling that I prefer and keeps me on the road (well, that and the fact I mostly commute).
Old 03-31-18, 06:05 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Awesome country
Great pics

What the temps° there?
Old 03-31-18, 08:30 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,412 Times in 2,750 Posts
That's a fair amount of climbing for 60 miles
Old 03-31-18, 09:11 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4417 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 3,028 Posts
Awesome ride
Old 03-31-18, 10:42 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Great ride! I'm riding gravel more than anything else these days. Riding for hours and only seeing a few cars is addictive!
Likes For BluesDawg:
Old 04-01-18, 03:59 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Originally Posted by BobbyG
I suppose if I could find a drop-bar gravel/adventure bike that could wear 700x45 hybrid street/dirt tires I'd enjoy gravel riding ).
My Lynskey can handle 45s and am seeing how wider can be better for ride comfort and handling.
Old 04-01-18, 06:51 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
That's a big ride you did! Haven't heard of Love Valley in years.

I sold my mtn bike last fall (Specialized Rockhopper, 29-er hardtail) and bought a steel touring bike. I had about quit mtn biking. I've done a couple rides over gravel here in the mtns with the touring bike and riding and descending particularly, was not a problem. I was pretty comfortable but probably the best thing I did for this type of riding was the previous mtn biking. The biggest thing I have to remember to be aware of is, I forget I don't have those big tires and front shocks any longer so rather than just bounce on over at speed, I have to slow down on the touring bike.
Old 04-03-18, 06:44 PM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Nice photos, got to love Western NC!
Old 04-04-18, 01:55 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
Most of my rides these days are half and half.

Its pretty cool riding some back roads/trails and coming across things.

Google Earth is a great tool for this.
Old 04-04-18, 10:48 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
FYI, an organized weekend ride planned for October Gravel ? Cycle Oregon (NFI)
Old 04-09-18, 08:43 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Looks like a great area for gravel road exploring.

The selection of gravel tires has exploded in the last two years. See: https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocros...vel-tires.html

My current favorite is the Vittoria Terreno Dry.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 04-09-18, 01:52 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Looks like a great area for gravel road exploring.

The selection of gravel tires has exploded in the last two years. See: https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocros...vel-tires.html

My current favorite is the Vittoria Terreno Dry.
Great thread for tire reviews from actual riders.....
Old 04-17-18, 06:49 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Good stuff! When we lived in NJ north of Princeton, there were lots of gravel options. I rode in the Hell of Hunterdon a couple of times. They've moved the start location to the VFW hall right around the corner from our old house - I see my buddy's house and our old driveway on Hollow Rd. I probably rode up that hill a million times. I miss riding in NJ but sure don't miss NJ.

Last edited by Terex; 04-17-18 at 07:13 PM.
Likes For Terex:
Old 04-28-19, 05:58 PM
Hydrate
2 Wheels > 4

Bikes: Just one more

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Dairy Roubaix 2019

Dairy Roubaix 2019
Old 04-29-19, 02:46 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by Hydrate
Dairy Roubaix 2019
https://youtu.be/Bp_JeY8EfEs

Looked like fun. Nice hill at 2:10!
Old 04-29-19, 03:11 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I used to hate riding anything off pavement, but I'm learning to enjoy it. I'm still more comfortable riding gravel solo, but I'm going to try some no-racing group gravel events. I've done a few 30-40 mile solo gravel rides this year, and am ready to tackle a metric century.

For gravel rides I prefer my old Univega Via Carisma, a nice flexible frame and fork to soak up rough stuff, and Continental Speed Ride tires for mostly dry gravel/grass. Speed Rides are both good and cheap, a rare combination. They're nominally 700x42 but measure closer to 700x38. Comfy, stable and smooth rolling around 50 psi (I weigh 155), no problems with pinch flats, etc. Occasionally I'll run the front a bit lower.

At the moment I have Nitto albatross bars on the Univega, which are remarkably versatile and feel fine for gravel. But I'm considering trying a dirt drop conversion, although I'm not sure it's worth the expense of switching to the correct brake levers to work with my old cantilever brakes. The bike works well enough as-is, and I'm not racing or riding with a fast group.
Old 04-30-19, 03:43 PM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
That's a fair amount of climbing for 60 miles
Yep.
Old 05-01-19, 11:04 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
I've been trying to incorporate more unpaved surfaces into my unsupported tours. Scheduled to head to Missoula on June 15th for a two-week loop in MT and ID. The planned route has several sections of unpaved roads and trails, including a 15 mile climb with 3,100' of elevation gain from St. Regis, MT to the ID border. Once you cross the border, the road becomes paved for the pretty descent. Also part of the route are the Route of the Hiawatha and NorPac Trails. Other unpaved stretches planned as well.
Old 05-05-19, 09:21 AM
IronM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
I've been getting into gravel these days. Some good opportunities here in North Georgia within an hour or two from home. I've got buddies that race the stuff, but short of the odd gravel fondo, mostly I ride for the adventure of it. Often I connect things together with singletrack and short bits of hike-a-bike. My favorite place to ride is on a remote gravel road, under a forest canopy and along side a tumbling mountain stream that is boarded by rhododendron.
Old 05-05-19, 09:52 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4417 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 3,028 Posts
I started with mountain bikes back in the 90s then did some road riding. I still MTB but on tamer trails at this stage I don’t need any more orthopedic operations I find gravel riding to be a good balance you get to see some neat stuff on the backroads and the traffic is light. It is perfect where I live since I have a gravel driveway and access to gravel and back roads right from the garage. The gravel bike is stouter though a bit slower than a dedicated road bike but that doesn’t concern me I still get a great workout on the gravel grinder. Most routes I ride have a mixture of tarmac and gravel and this style suits both well.
Old 05-05-19, 12:47 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by IronM
I've been getting into gravel these days. Some good opportunities here in North Georgia within an hour or two from home. I've got buddies that race the stuff, but short of the odd gravel fondo, mostly I ride for the adventure of it. Often I connect things together with singletrack and short bits of hike-a-bike. My favorite place to ride is on a remote gravel road, under a forest canopy and along side a tumbling mountain stream that is boarded by rhododendron.

You’d enjoy these roads!
Old 05-09-19, 09:14 AM
washed up

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 15 Posts
More impressed with a 5 hour ride and still have 52% battery life left on the garmin.
Old 05-21-19, 09:49 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
We have so few gravel roads in these parts, however in anticipation of riding elsewhere we got gravel bikes this year. This weekend was the first opportunity to ride them off pavement. It was a mixed ride with gravel trails and paved road, and every time we found pavement we'd go "Weeeeeee".
Likes For h2oxtc: