Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Shimano Exage side pull brake spring replacement?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-20, 11:47 AM
HMJ
Long time part timer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts

Greetings,

I am trying to find a replacement spring for an early 90's Shimano Exage BR-A350 side pull brake caliper but am not making too much progress.

First attempt at replacement was to just take one off of a scrapper bike but all I have are some older Dia-Compe models and those springs are too thick to "set" into the Exage caliper. Next attempt was to go to a couple of local LBS' to see if by chance they would have any suitable springs laying around. Neither one did and both recommended a whole new brake caliper. Online searches for replacement brake springs are coming up empty (I don't participate on ebay - I gave up there many years ago). Another idea I have is to contact a not-too-close-to-me bike co-op but have not done that yet. I suppose I could also post a BF ad in the appropriate section.

It seems silly to me to buy a whole new brake caliper and would like to believe there is someone or some source I could get a suitable spring from so I am asking for suggestions. Or, if my belief is delusional feel free to tell me that too.

Many thanks in advance!
Old 11-25-20, 11:54 AM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 219 Posts
As much as this is a DIY fix it community, some bike parts just aren't worth the hassle.

What's wrong with the original spring?
Old 11-25-20, 12:07 PM
HMJ
Long time part timer

Originally Posted by billytwosheds

What's wrong with the original spring?

The original spring is broken and unusable.
Old 11-25-20, 12:20 PM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by HMJ
The original spring is broken and unusable.
If your local bike kitchen or coop is open and will let you dig around in their parts bins, you might get lucky.

The Exage group wasn't terribly high end, which is why sourcing a new caliper might be easier. Complete Exage brake calipers are under $20 on the Bay.

Something else to consider is why or how the spring broke. Was it from corrosion or a crash? Are other parts of the caliper worn or soon-to-break as well?

Otherwise maybe try the FS/FT thread and see it anyone has one laying around.
Old 11-25-20, 01:20 PM
HMJ
Long time part timer

Originally Posted by billytwosheds
If your local bike kitchen or coop is open and will let you dig around in their parts bins, you might get lucky.

The Exage group wasn't terribly high end, which is why sourcing a new caliper might be easier. Complete Exage brake calipers are under $20 on the Bay.

Something else to consider is why or how the spring broke. Was it from corrosion or a crash? Are other parts of the caliper worn or soon-to-break as well?

Otherwise maybe try the FS/FT thread and see it anyone has one laying around.
The rest of the caliper is fine. I somehow snapped the spring while trying to loosen an extremely tight lock nut Although there was no visible corrosion on the original spring I guess I'm glad this happened in my basement rather than on the road if there was some sort of weakness to it. On the other hand if the original spring was OK I probably deserve more frustration having to deal with this nuisance after dealing with the lock nut. I know the Exage wasn't real high end but for me it's more of not pitching something that ought to still be useable with a nickel's worth of metal....if I can find it.

I'll try a wanted post in the appropriate thread and cross my fingers. Still open to other suggestions. Thanks much!
Likes For HMJ:
Old 11-25-20, 02:15 PM
Juan el Boricua

Bikes: 1980's Royce Union "fixed wheel", 1995 Trek 370, 406 -wheeled " shopper/minivelo"for running errands, SS Raleigh M60

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by HMJ
Greetings,

I am trying to find a replacement spring for an early 90's Shimano Exage BR-A350 side pull brake caliper but am not making too much progress.

First attempt at replacement was to just take one off of a scrapper bike but all I have are some older Dia-Compe models and those springs are too thick to "set" into the Exage caliper. Next attempt was to go to a couple of local LBS' to see if by chance they would have any suitable springs laying around. Neither one did and both recommended a whole new brake caliper. Online searches for replacement brake springs are coming up empty (I don't participate on ebay - I gave up there many years ago). Another idea I have is to contact a not-too-close-to-me bike co-op but have not done that yet. I suppose I could also post a BF ad in the appropriate section.

It seems silly to me to buy a whole new brake caliper and would like to believe there is someone or some source I could get a suitable spring from so I am asking for suggestions. Or, if my belief is delusional feel free to tell me that too.

Many thanks in advance!
Could you file/grind on the spring the "thick" areas, or the spring perches, until it fits?
I also have on my Trek a set of mid '90's BR-A250's with RSX brifters and, although not latest/high performance calipers, with Shimano/ Cool Stops pads are pretty good for my use; I'd try to maintain them in service also. Good luck.

Last edited by Juan el Boricua; 11-25-20 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-25-20, 03:14 PM
HMJ
Long time part timer

Originally Posted by Juan el Boricua
Could you file/grind on the spring the "thick" areas, or the spring perches, until it fits?
I had considered this but the thought of weakening another spring wasn't appealing to me.
Old 11-25-20, 05:59 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
can you get a pic of the spring and some best measurements? i'll look and see if i have something in my stash that would work. yours free/you ship if it works out
Old 11-25-20, 06:03 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
If you get into a DIY mood, it's not too difficult to make springs from scratch using the right metal stock for flat or simple coil springs, and some old school techniques. I've done the necessary heat treatment in a garden burn pit when I lived in a rural area. Back then I got the metal stock from Brownell's, an old gunsmith supplier, and instructions from an old gunsmith's manual for the heat treatment, but nowadays there are probably more sources for suitable metal stock.
Old 11-26-20, 05:17 PM
HMJ
Long time part timer

Thanks for the offer!

Originally Posted by thook
can you get a pic of the spring and some best measurements? i'll look and see if i have something in my stash that would work. yours free/you ship if it works out
thook Thanks much for your offer! Pic and measurements coming in the next post... If you do happen to find anything in your stash please do PM me as I would be happy to have it. Much obliged!
Old 11-26-20, 05:21 PM
HMJ
Long time part timer

Here is the pic with measurements

Had to get over the 10 post minimum for this...apologies for a couple of other posts. I don't make the rules, I just follow 'em

Anyhow here is the still-in-tact spring. I had to make a minor adjustment when I put the caliper back together but you get the idea.

Many thanks!

Old 11-26-20, 05:24 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

if i can't get to it this evening, i will tomorrow asap
Old 11-30-20, 02:05 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

dude ...haven't forgotten. work all weekend. i'll be back this evening with input
Old 11-30-20, 03:41 PM
HMJ
Long time part timer

no worries

No worries thook - you are doing me the favor for even checking so I appreciate whatever you can do whenever you can. Cheers!
Old 12-01-20, 09:56 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by HMJ
No worries thook - you are doing me the favor for even checking so I appreciate whatever you can do whenever you can. Cheers!
i'd be doing more of a favor if i actually had something. turns out amongst the parts in my bucket and the bone yard, all i have are either too thick and/or too short. sorry, man
Old 12-02-20, 11:06 AM
HMJ
Long time part timer

thanks for looking!

Originally Posted by thook
i'd be doing more of a favor if i actually had something. turns out amongst the parts in my bucket and the bone yard, all i have are either too thick and/or too short. sorry, man
Thanks for even looking thook ...much obliged!
Old 12-02-20, 11:21 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
I will take a look, too but the best prospects are in my "bucket" that I would not visit until the weekend. Hope you can hold on that long cause I'm pretty confident I can find one there (but been wrong before!), if I do it will be a freebie (or at most for postage)
Old 12-02-20, 11:37 AM
HMJ
Long time part timer

thank you!

Originally Posted by unworthy1
I will take a look, too but the best prospects are in my "bucket" that I would not visit until the weekend. Hope you can hold on that long cause I'm pretty confident I can find one there (but been wrong before!), if I do it will be a freebie (or at most for postage)
Thanks so much unworthy1 ! I am in no hurry at all and if you do happen to find a compatible spring I would be more than happy to pay postage!