Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.1

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-21, 09:12 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10153 Post(s)
Liked 5,849 Times in 3,150 Posts
I'm no lawyer, but I think insurers would be within their rights to deny reimbursement for treatment directly related to COVID to people who have been offered vaccination and refused without medical justification. That's not at all the same as denying care and insurers pick and chose what they'll reimburse all the time.
Old 03-18-21, 09:27 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I'm no lawyer, but I think insurers would be within their rights to deny reimbursement for treatment directly related to COVID to people who have been offered vaccination and refused without medical justification. That's not at all the same as denying care and insurers pick and chose what they'll reimburse all the time.
That's not my area, but absent some legislation, I believe an insurer can put whatever exclusions they wish in a policy since insurance policies are just contracts between the company and the insured. The insured always has the choice of whether or not to buy the policy.

Boat policies don't have to cover racing. Car policies don't have to cover offroad or track use. Medical policies can exclude pregnancy. Etc.
Old 03-18-21, 09:55 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
The problem with this approach is that it’ll be the hospitals and clinicians eating that cost when people simply refuse to pay.
Old 03-18-21, 10:33 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by phrantic09
The problem with this approach is that it’ll be the hospitals and clinicians eating that cost when people simply refuse to pay.
Very true, but I bet the numbers would be small in the event.
Old 03-18-21, 10:43 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
That's not my area, but absent some legislation, I believe an insurer can put whatever exclusions they wish in a policy since insurance policies are just contracts between the company and the insured. The insured always has the choice of whether or not to buy the policy.

Boat policies don't have to cover racing. Car policies don't have to cover offroad or track use. Medical policies can exclude pregnancy. Etc.
I better check my policy and make sure I'm covered if the company knocks me up. Since theyve been intercoursing me for years...
Old 03-18-21, 10:47 AM
ls01
he said member

The only way I see an avenue where we reach sufficient volume of the population being vaccinated is if there are punitive measures in place for people who don't get one - such as not being allowed in a bar or restaurant or public place. After watching 60 minutes this weekend about the new variants, I'm really pissed at the clowns who refuse to be cautious and stop the spread.
Actually, given enough time the numbers will adjust on their own. Through deaths. Nothing teaches the hard lessons like watching people die of a preventable disease.
Old 03-18-21, 10:50 AM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by bampilot06
Weather in Knoxville looks blah. I wonder if Velo is enjoying it.
Nah, too sunny
Old 03-18-21, 10:51 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3357 Post(s)
Liked 3,636 Times in 1,242 Posts
Weather is looking pretty good this weekend after a week of cold dreary days.

With the rain we've gotten it might finally be time to get out on the shiny bike again
Old 03-18-21, 11:01 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,619 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Ugh. I just had a visit with a patient who is a nurse (by training) and a covid vaccine denier. She said she has done her research and the immunization does not protect against infection or spreading infection. She says there is NO WAY she is getting the vaccine.

SMH.
I recently had a club rider who after I told him on FB that I had gotten my shots, he told me that I was just a guinea pig for the vaccine and he wasn't getting it. I told him that's fine and I would appreciate it if he would let me know which rides he would be coming on so I would know to skip it.

BTW, Illinois is opening up vaccine to all residents over 16 on April 12th. We're currently at 29% vaccinated, 58% of seniors.

Last edited by Trsnrtr; 03-18-21 at 11:07 AM.
Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 03-18-21, 11:04 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by abshipp

With the rain we've gotten it might finally be time to get out on the shiny bike again
My backyard is currently flooded.

I had to go to a doc this morning for a routine appt. and the wind and rain made the 200 yard dash from the parking lot to the building a cold and miserable experience due to the rain and high winds. I got to see a lady have her umbrella turn inside out just like in the cartoons.

Old 03-18-21, 11:10 AM
ls01
he said member

Holy MO (no offence) I feel like complete poop. Can't wait to get out of here, and go home and work, on, the, house.......
×+$/ me...
Old 03-18-21, 11:11 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Yup, this was my thought. In fact, if I were in the insurance gig, I'd think about getting out in front of it, making sure that clients receive notifications of both vaccine availability and denial of coverage in the event that they should decline - hospital beds and overnight stays are expensive, man.
Old 03-18-21, 11:15 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp

I wanted to ride the gravel bike this AM, but didn't feel like changing the pedals ( I was time crunched). Orange bike was fun.
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 03-18-21, 11:16 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yup, this was my thought. In fact, if I were in the insurance gig, I'd think about getting out in front of it, making sure that clients receive notifications of both vaccine availability and denial of coverage in the event that they should decline - hospital beds and overnight stays are expensive, man.
Yeah, but as Phrantic pointed out, somebody always pays and it's usually not the patient.
Old 03-18-21, 11:25 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10413 Post(s)
Liked 11,874 Times in 6,081 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Ugh. I just had a visit with a patient who is a nurse (by training) and a covid vaccine denier. She said she has done her research and the immunization does not protect against infection or spreading infection. She says there is NO WAY she is getting the vaccine.

SMH.
Because 'research' on the internet trumps clinical trials and research done by people who actually know ****.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-18-21, 11:27 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

The only way I see an avenue where we reach sufficient volume of the population being vaccinated is if there are punitive measures in place for people who don't get one - such as not being allowed in a bar or restaurant or public place. After watching 60 minutes this weekend about the new variants, I'm really pissed at the clowns who refuse to be cautious and stop the spread.
Hopefully it won't take everyone being vaccinated to quash the epidemic. Just having MOST people vaccinated will get us most of the way.

Old 03-18-21, 11:29 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Denying insurance coverage for the treatment of deniers would be more realistic and at least provide some schadenfreude goodness.
As well as providing a lot of employment for lawyers.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-18-21, 11:30 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22583 Post(s)
Liked 8,923 Times in 4,156 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Because 'research' on the internet trumps clinical trials and research done by people who actually know ****.
Yup. We physicians have been pulling a fast one on patients for too long, and now it's time to pull the curtain back and expose the wizard for what he really is.

Sad!
Likes For datlas:
Old 03-18-21, 11:39 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3357 Post(s)
Liked 3,636 Times in 1,242 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
My backyard is currently flooded.

I had to go to a doc this morning for a routine appt. and the wind and rain made the 200 yard dash from the parking lot to the building a cold and miserable experience due to the rain and high winds. I got to see a lady have her umbrella turn inside out just like in the cartoons.
We haven't gotten that much up here. Next week looks like prime fender weather:

I wanted to ride the gravel bike this AM, but didn't feel like changing the pedals ( I was time crunched). Orange bike was fun.
Nice
Old 03-18-21, 11:45 AM
WhyFi

Yeah, but as Phrantic pointed out, somebody always pays and it's usually not the patient.
Sure, the hospital isn't going to refuse, nor should they, but they can put in claim against the patient that'll show up on their credit. I would assume that, like most unsecured, defaulted debts, those will eventually get bargained down and/or sold to a third party that'll attempt to collect - in some manner, some compensation would be had, I think. That or the insurance companies can look at increasing the premiums of deniers.

Otherwise... eh, the system is already good and borked - maybe a little more borking will push it over the edge in to a much needed overhaul.
Old 03-18-21, 11:46 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by genejockey
As well as providing a lot of employment for lawyers.
Ugh! Doctors and lawyers - don't get me started on those good-fer-nuthi-

uhhhh - never mind.

Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-18-21, 11:52 AM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Did you have a pile of parts lying around or did you strip another frame?
I had most of a Suntour Superbe Pro group that I used. Couldn't figure why it didn't shift well for a minute until I realized it's so old that it's 6 speed and I had a 7 speed wheel on. Also had to reuse the old brake calipers because I was too lazy to drill the frame for the newer recessed bolts.
Likes For Jack Tone:
Old 03-18-21, 11:59 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

A few years back, I decided that I wanted to add a bigger cassette to my tandem so I bought a Wolf link and a bigger cassette and installed it but the dang thing would never shift right so I decided the old derailleur looked worn out and bought a new derailleur.. The thing still wouldn't shift properly so I reinstalled all of the old stuff which worked flawlessly and gave up. Some time later, I was showing a friend my tandem and mentioned the problems i had had with my new 11 speed Ultegra derailleur and 11 speed Ultegra cassette. It only took him a couple seconds to point out that I had a 10 speed drive train including 10 speed shifters.

Duh...

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 03-18-21, 12:01 PM
WhyFi

Our roads are finally clear-ish after the snow earlier this week. I'm thinking that I might squeeze out for a short ride after my son gets home from school - if the wife doesn't have any afternoon meetings, she should be able to make sure that they don't burn the house down while my son does home work and the girl watches something.
Old 03-18-21, 12:09 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I did NOT take the Circuit apart last night, but I did check it out very carefully. I'd been thinking of the Sante groupset as a 'white groupset', but there's a whole lot more to it. There are 3 or 4 shades of gray they used. Hubs are silver-gray, not quite polished, with largish light gray dust covers. The headset has white races top and bottom, but then the nuts are covered with a two-part plastic cover in two different shades of gray. There are caps on the holes in the shift levers where the cables enter, which are gray, against the pearlescent white levers. And this bike has ALL the bits! Except the little black rubber nub that goes in the hole in the center bolt on the front brakes where an allen key goes. The one in back is still there.

The bike is REALLY dirty. The jockey wheels on the rear derailleur are covered in crud, like the previous owners never heard of cleaning before adding NEW lubricant. But as I'm cleaning various bits, I'm discovering that the dirt has been like a protective outer layer!

The tubes are really small, compared to what I'm used to. I realize that even the Ritchey's tubes were oversize, and they're small compared to the Battaglin's MAX tubeset, and even smaller than the Cannondale's Aluminum tubes. Chrome forks, chainstays and seatstays, paint and decals all in good condition. The hubs spin smoothly, as does the BB. I'll repack the hubs, but the BB will have to stay as it is.

I bought a 130mm stem to replace the 90 that's on it. Also a SOMA Highway One bar in 44 to replace the 40 mm Cinelli Giro d'Italia. I looked at wider Giro d'Italia bars but the bars are already going to be kind of low. I figure I can give up a little vintage flavor for actually desire to ride. Black bar tape, to go with the black Rolls saddle. White cable housing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.