Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.1

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-21, 03:07 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Because I don't have 1) Crank extractor, 2) Fixed cup wrench, 3) Adjustable cup wrenches.
You shouldn't have to touch the fixed cup.

Old 03-18-21, 03:08 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by mvnsnd
Excellent!
Hopefully it will help with your Zwift dropouts.
What?! Heaven forbid he should have a readymade excuse snatched away from him!
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-18-21, 03:09 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22590 Post(s)
Liked 8,924 Times in 4,157 Posts
An elderly patient gave me her BP monitor because it was not accurate for her (typical because old folks have heavily calcified arteries) so I checked it on myself against my mercury column and it is correct.

Likes For datlas:
Old 03-18-21, 03:09 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Well, yes and no. The more vaccinees in the population, the fewer susceptible people there are for the virus to transmit to. With enough vaccinees, the rate of transmission will fall below 1 transmission per infected person and at that point the epidemic diminishes. Eventually, it could go away completely.

Unless....

Unless the people who insist on NOT getting vaccinated tend to live together or near each other. But even then, eventually it would burn out. The problem is, the larger the unvaccinated population and/or the slower the rate of vaccination, the more time the virus has to evolve. The goal should be to get as close to everyone in America vaccinated as fast as humanly possible, so the virus doesn't have time or opportunity to mutate into a resistant form
But if vaccinated people carry and spread the virus, why can't the unvaccinated get it from them?

Old 03-18-21, 03:13 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,031 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Whatever it is, it's letting you do some impressive rides, old man! Has anyone told you to wait for that?
No, the last time I saw the doc was in December, I think, and they did EKG, circulation test, and blood. No chest x-ray, though, but the lung crud has been worse since then.
And you kids should have some respect for your elders!
Old 03-18-21, 03:13 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,852 Times in 3,152 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
But if vaccinated people carry and spread the virus, why can't the unvaccinated get it from them?
They can in theory, but it's probably not common. Problem is no one knows how uncommon yet.
Old 03-18-21, 03:16 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by big john
No, the last time I saw the doc was in December, I think, and they did EKG, circulation test, and blood. No chest x-ray, though, but the lung crud has been worse since then.
And you kids should have some respect for your elders!
It would be unusual for something like that to pose a risk for vaccination and I suspect it really is a risk factor for you were you to get COVID. Wonder what datlas thinks.
Old 03-18-21, 03:17 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10421 Post(s)
Liked 11,882 Times in 6,088 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Maybe. My suspicion is the virus infection rate will go UP not down over the next 2 months, because people are letting up their guard and the people who have been spreading the virus are NOT the ones getting vaccinated. Luckily the hospitalization/death rates should not go up much because the vulnerable are getting the vaccine and/or being careful.

How it plays out beyond the next 2 months is anyone's guess.
Bingo.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-18-21, 03:19 PM
WhyFi

An elderly patient gave me her BP monitor because it was not accurate for her (typical because old folks have heavily calcified arteries) so I checked it on myself against my mercury column and it is correct.

So, we should talk about that BP of yours, doc...

That's almost exactly where my BP was when I went in last month. HR, too. Body weight is prolly a little different, though.
Old 03-18-21, 03:22 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Results indicate that the vaccines at the very least reduce the rate of infection among vaccinees, compared to the placebo group or the unvaccinated.

Old 03-18-21, 03:24 PM
WhyFi

I was able to squeeze out for a quick ride. It was WINNNDY. And, despite riding roughly in a circle, the wind only manifested as a tailwind for about 14 seconds. I'm not sure how that works.

Got in some good, heart-in-my-throat efforts, which was nice, but the stop-and-go in downtown was a drag on the workout.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-18-21, 03:25 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Somewhere in Mom and Dad's house is my Grandfather's sphygmomanometer. (Hey! I spelled it right first time!)

Old 03-18-21, 03:28 PM
big john

Originally Posted by WhyFi
So, we should talk about that BP of yours, doc...

That's almost exactly where my BP was when I went in last month. HR, too. Body weight is prolly a little different, though.
My bp, too HR is usually lower, though.
Old 03-18-21, 03:29 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Circuit Update: Loose Screws has the Black Rubber Nub. Ordered.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-18-21, 03:31 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

You shouldn't have to touch the fixed cup.
That's a fair point. Funnily enough, though, the other end of at least one of Park's fixed cup wrenches is a pin spanner for the adjustable cup.

Old 03-18-21, 03:44 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

If I get really relaxed I can get resting HR down to about 45. But at work I can’t relax.
Old 03-18-21, 03:54 PM
big john

If I get really relaxed I can get resting HR down to about 45. But at work I can’t relax.
I can only imagine what my bp and hr were at work, especially years back when I was still throwing things.
Old 03-18-21, 03:59 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,183 Times in 2,225 Posts
I can only imagine what my bp and hr were at work, especially years back when I was still throwing things.

I am sure mine is a lot lower in the winter vs summer. Storms have a way of ruining your day. Nothing like waiting for 3 hours to park because of lightening.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 03-18-21, 04:03 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11398 Post(s)
Liked 4,744 Times in 2,763 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Bike nerdery content. TL;DR at the bottom:

I've known for a while that the aftermarket fork I have on my 710 is shorter than the stock one and it's bugged me terribly ever since I installed it. I finally took the time to take the bike apart and get some actual measurements to figure out exactly how much of a difference there is.

Turns out my new fork axle-to-crown is 10mm shorter than the stock one. This results the front end lowering quite significantly, and steepening all the effective angles on the bike by a little over .5°. Not a huge issue on paper - the 63cm frame that I have was brazed at 73.5°/72.5° so the HTA/STA steepened up to 74°/73°. Still a reasonably shallow STA and that HTA is steep, but not overly so.

What bugged me is that with the front end 10mm lower there is a quite conspicuous downward slope to the top tube, which just looks so wrong on a classic lugged frame. It's been on my mind constantly and there has been handwringing upon handwringing with the different options to fix it:

I bought a needle bearing headset with a tall lower stack height, but that only gave me a few additional millimeters.
I could go back to the original fork but I never really liked how it rode (5cm trail with wide 650b tires just feels a little weird), plus I'd have to get canti posts brazed on and powdercoated. Handling gets even weirder with a handlebar bag.
I could have the original fork re-raked to lower the trail and get the handling I want, but that's another pretty big chunk of change and the front end would drop a bit anyways so I'm still in the same situation, just not as bad.
Custom forks are $$$ I'd rather use for something different.

I eventually stumbled upon someone on eBay that makes taller crown races for MTBs - I guess sometimes for fat bikes you need some extra room below the head tube so a suspension fork doesn't smack the downtube - but all he made were for forks with 1 1/8" or 1 1/2" steer tubes. I figured something like that would my best option - using a cartridge bearing headset with 36°/45° bearings all I had to do was reproduce the fairly simple geometry of the crown race that came with the headset I wanted to use and then add 10mm on the bottom!

Drew up something up real quick and shot it off to him since he does custom parts as well. $30 and a day later the part is on it's way to my house!

Fingers crossed I designed it correctly. Also got a nice little boost to the ego when he told me he'd do it for the same price as his stock spacers - "Very nice drawing will make it easy."

Although, now I'm going to have a bit of a challenge because I'm about 5mm shorter than ideal on steer tube length...

TL;DR - I'm getting a custom crown race spacer to make up for a 10mm too short axle to crown on one of my bikes.
Kudos. I hope it works. My nice drawing in crayon would likely be smudged by the time it got there.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 03-18-21, 04:04 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Somewhere in Mom and Dad's house is my Grandfather's sphygmomanometer. (Hey! I spelled it right first time!)
If it’s mercury it may be a collectors item. We have a few mercury ones at work but you can’t get them anymore and they are all gradually getting replaced.
Old 03-18-21, 04:05 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I have gotten as low as 39, even at work. Which is at home. So....

Old 03-18-21, 04:06 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

If it’s mercury it may be a collectors item. We have a few mercury ones at work but you can’t get them anymore and they are all gradually getting replaced.
I last saw it maybe 50 years ago. No less than 45 years. Lord knows where it is now.

Old 03-18-21, 04:11 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11398 Post(s)
Liked 4,744 Times in 2,763 Posts
I still haven't been vaccinated. Was hoping the lung thing would clear up some first but it just keeps on truckin'. COPD, asthma, whatever it is. Some days, like Saturday, I feel pretty good and climb well enough. Then Tuesday 3 of us met up and my friend took us up a couple thousand feet of climbing at the start. I couldn't get my breathing going and they had to keep waiting and I was embarrassed at how crappy I rode. Later I started feeling better and yesterday I went climbing alone and felt good again. Trying not to use the Albuterol too much. Last time I was at the doctor she wanted to prescribe another drug but I decided to wait. I guess another appointment is in the cards.
Same, though I got my second shot yesterday. I've had to hit the pipe at night after waking up with a dry cough and breathing issues, and I don't like it. I have an appointment next Friday, so we'll see.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 03-18-21, 04:11 PM
WhyFi

Yeah, my RHR is always a little high at the doctor's office. Maybe it's a touch of anxiety or maybe it's the 1.5 espresso drinks rushing through my veins by then, but I can rarely get it under 50, which is easy peasy otherwise.
Old 03-18-21, 04:13 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Results indicate that the vaccines at the very least reduce the rate of infection among vaccinees, compared to the placebo group or the unvaccinated.
Results from two unpublished studies say that asymptomatic infections are reduced in vaccinated individuals relative to community samples of unvaccinated people. I don't believe there are any such data yet from the clinical trials.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.