Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Carbon Fiber seatpost- stuck!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-21, 08:09 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts

So I have a cf frame that is in need of a new seatpost. All the misc parts are missing. But it is good and firmly stuck in the seat tube.
Two questions. What is the best way to remove it? And do I have to use a cf seatpost or can I use an aluminum one?
Thanks!
Old 01-28-21, 08:54 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Ok. To clarify, you have a CF frame and a CF seatpost, and the seatpost won't move after you've removed the seatpost clamp?

As for replacement suggestions, that really depends on the frame. Older Trek OCLV frames used a fiberglass sleeve in the seat tube to provide a galvanic barrier for aluminum posts, but using fibergrip or other CF and aluminum assembly paste is a great idea to prevent slipping, corrosion, and sticking.
Old 01-28-21, 09:01 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4200 Post(s)
Liked 3,853 Times in 2,303 Posts
Once the post is removed any post that fits the frame (as in diameter and/or shape) could be used. The examples of a brand/model specific post requirement is more about shape or fastening method then that of material. Using a post whose material has the same electro/chemical reactive nature as the frame is one way to reduce the galvanic sourced corrosion. Carbon and Al are rather different on that scale. I wonder if the person who assembled the bike was following the "don't use lube on carbon" that some believe in, and the post was inserted dry of any protective film (grease or carbon assembly paste).

Do you know how deep the post is in the seat tube? Given that carbon is fairly easily sawed with a hack saw blade (compared to Al) I would be tempted to use a saw blade held in a jab saw handle. If the saw blade can reach the end of the post (cutting off the post just above the frame helps the reach) this will take far less time then if the post were Al. There's a lot of stuck seat post threads here although most of then are about Al posts in steel frames, so the chemical methods might not transfer over to the carbon post in Al frame the OP has. Andy
Old 01-28-21, 09:11 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Once the post is removed any post that fits the frame (as in diameter and/or shape) could be used. The examples of a brand/model specific post requirement is more about shape or fastening method then that of material. Using a post whose material has the same electro/chemical reactive nature as the frame is one way to reduce the galvanic sourced corrosion. Carbon and Al are rather different on that scale. I wonder if the person who assembled the bike was following the "don't use lube on carbon" that some believe in, and the post was inserted dry of any protective film (grease or carbon assembly paste).

Do you know how deep the post is in the seat tube? Given that carbon is fairly easily sawed with a hack saw blade (compared to Al) I would be tempted to use a saw blade held in a jab saw handle. If the saw blade can reach the end of the post (cutting off the post just above the frame helps the reach) this will take far less time then if the post were Al. There's a lot of stuck seat post threads here although most of then are about Al posts in steel frames, so the chemical methods might not transfer over to the carbon post in Al frame the OP has. Andy
Just a caution: Park Tool advises against trying to cut out a stuck carbon post. Personally, I'm certain I won't feel a transition between the post and the frame using a jab saw.

I googled it and GCN has a recommendation:
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 01-28-21, 09:13 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
Just a caution: Park Tool advises against trying to cut out a stuck carbon post. Personally, I'm certain I won't feel a transition between the post and the frame using a jab saw.

I googled it and GCN has a recommendation:https://youtu.be/54WhdrLKKvY
And if the frame were made of carbon I agree completely. But the OP has an Al frame. Andy
Old 01-28-21, 10:40 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Andy,
I kinda like your idea but the frame is cf. I am tempted to put a pipe wrench to the stuck seatpost.
Old 01-28-21, 10:44 AM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 2,976 Times in 1,496 Posts
?

watch the posted video-some very good tips.and boiling water is free,no? note when its out use a long stick to smear grease down inside the seatpost tube.patience is key.
Old 01-28-21, 10:59 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

YA! Using the GCN method and some patience, you might be able to save the seatpost, to install properly later.

Is it possible the wrong size post was used?

Edit: probably not. Using a hammer to install a seatpost is a good indicator something is wrong.
Old 01-28-21, 12:49 PM
Tandem Tom

Bench vise and my incredible strength 😁😁😁. I won!!!
Likes For Tandem Tom:
Old 01-28-21, 01:13 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
Bench vise and my incredible strength 😁😁😁. I won!!!
Now check any parts, the seat stay and bb/chain stay junction, that could have suffered torque during the fight.
Old 01-28-21, 05:30 PM
SethL

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I had this happen and used a rust degreaser (blast I believe) and knocked it loose with a rubber mallet. Try moving left and right. It took a few rounds, maybe a day or two, and lots of sweat. I couldn't get the seat post back in so I cut it down and used carbon paste to prevent it from happening again. Its good to take the seat out and move it around every few months or so.
Old 01-28-21, 06:39 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
Andy,
I kinda like your idea but the frame is cf. I am tempted to put a pipe wrench to the stuck seatpost.
Once again I am at fault for not reading the OP as well as I should, as Rozana Dana Dana (or whoever that Laugh In character was) said, "never mind" Andy
Old 01-29-21, 02:51 AM
flanso 

Bikes: Gunnar Sport 105/UDi2, previous: Lambert, Giant FCR3, Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp UDi2

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Roseanne Roseannadanna, Saturday Night Live.
Old 01-29-21, 06:52 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Originally Posted by flanso
Roseanne Roseannadanna, Saturday Night Live.
These lucid dreaming posts are a fascinating look at the subconscious.
Old 01-30-21, 07:37 AM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts