Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replacing 105 pulleys with Dura Ace

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-21, 10:43 AM
Brad Bike
That guy

Bikes: 2012 Felt FC build

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi, a few quick questions:

Can I replace my 105 pulleys with Dura Ace pulleys? (I'm thinking yes, but want to be sure)

If yes, can I use the 105 pulley bolt with the Dura Ace pulley? I saw online somewhere that there is a Dura Ace-specific bolt that looks a little different than the 105 one (there's a threadless indentation between the head and where the threads start).

If I have to use the Dura Ace bolt, will that bolt fit okay in the 105 cage?

Thanks!
Old 02-07-21, 10:56 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Never Fix A Running Piece. What benefit do you expect to enjoy with this change?
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 02-07-21, 11:21 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
As long as the replacement pulley is of the same width (as in chain width, 8,9,10... cogs) and of the same tooth count (pulley diameter) there should be no issues. We do this at work when we can't find an OEM grade replacement. All but the earliest DA pulleys have used a superior bearing (initially a ceramic bushing and more recently a true set of cartridge bearings that still allow some float) then the lower grade groupos used.

Why do you want to do this? Because the original pulley is worn out? Because you think it will benefit your speed? Better shifting? Cool factor? In my world only one of these reasons will hold water. Andy
Old 02-07-21, 12:08 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Never Fix A Running Piece. What benefit do you expect to enjoy with this change?
No more stinkin' upgrades!!?
Old 02-07-21, 12:57 PM
Brad Bike
That guy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks guys, my pulleys are indeed worn out and I read that Dura Ace would make a low cost upgrade to bearings from simple bushings. Any thoughts about my bolt questions ml
Likes For Brad Bike:
Old 02-07-21, 01:31 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Depending on the head configuration of the Dura Ace bolts you may have to reuse the 105 bolts. What's the problem with the 105 bolts? In my experience all Shimano rd cage bolts are the same.
Old 02-07-21, 03:56 PM
Brad Bike
That guy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
To clarify, nothing is wrong with the current bolts. The Dura Ace bolts just seem different when I look them up online. If you guys are saying vthe standard bolts will work with the DA pulleys, then that's exactly the info I'm looking for.

​​
Old 02-07-21, 07:44 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
You should be fine assuming all is the same. I would probably try to re-use the 105 bolts and if they don't work try the DA bolts again making sure everything matches up not that I believe pulley wheel bolts have changed that much over the years but I don't really know because I so rarely replace them. My favorite replacement pulley wheels especially on the vintage side were Tacx. They are the same material but can be had with ceramic bearings without a ton of cost but it appears they have stopped making them for some dumb reason.
Old 02-07-21, 08:13 PM
Brad Bike
That guy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cool, all good to know. Thanks guys!
Old 02-07-21, 08:44 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,260 Times in 869 Posts
Originally Posted by Brad Bike
Thanks guys, my pulleys are indeed worn out and I read that Dura Ace would make a low cost upgrade to bearings from simple bushings. Any thoughts about my bolt questions ml
You're kidding, right? Dura Ace & cheap just doesn't fit.
Dura Ace & 105 have been through a lot of different generations.
If your 105 pulleys are worn out, they're probably several generations old.
I'd at least look at the exploded views of the parts to look for obvious dissimilarities.
Old 02-07-21, 10:00 PM
Brad Bike
That guy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
You're kidding, right? Dura Ace & cheap just doesn't fit.
Dura Ace & 105 have been through a lot of different generations.
If your 105 pulleys are worn out, they're probably several generations old.
I'd at least look at the exploded views of the parts to look for obvious dissimilarities.
Nope, no joke. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a pair of DA pulleys which, at about $40 US, falls into the category of "low cost" will enough for my liking. We'll see how they perform. If I have any concerns, it certainly won't be an issue to just go back to the style I have currently.
Likes For Brad Bike:
Old 02-08-21, 01:10 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Nope, no joke. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a pair of DA pulleys which, at about $40 US, falls into the category of "low cost" will enough for my liking. We'll see how they perform. If I have any concerns, it certainly won't be an issue to just go back to the style I have currently.
I spent < $20 for an Ultegra RD-6800 pulley set (Shimano part no. Y5YC98140) for a 105 RD-5800 rear derailleur.
The key difference is that the Ultegra set uses ball bearings in both pulleys, whereas the 105 set uses ball bearings on one and a plastic washer on the other.
When you make as little power as I do, every 1/2 W counts.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 02-08-21, 04:06 AM
kingjason

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I spent < $20 for an Ultegra RD-6800 pulley set (Shimano part no. Y5YC98140) for a 105 RD-5800 rear derailleur.
The key difference is that the Ultegra set uses ball bearings in both pulleys, whereas the 105 set uses ball bearings on one and a plastic washer on the other.
When you make as little power as I do, every 1/2 W counts.
I had a SLX pulley snap so I ordered some 20.00 ceramic ball bearing pulleys off amazon and man those things are smooth. So much so that when I got my new old stock XTR in I used them on it. All 9 speed stuff but a huge improvement.
Old 02-08-21, 07:38 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
More like 0.005 watts.
Old 02-08-21, 09:58 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
I hope these will fit. You haven't said which generation of 105 you have...5600,5700,5800 and which generation Dura Ace you ordered. It can make a difference.
Old 02-08-21, 01:52 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
I hope these will fit. You haven't said which generation of 105 you have...5600,5700,5800 and which generation Dura Ace you ordered. It can make a difference.
True! I had assumed that the OP would at least order from the same or later generations having the same number of cogs/speeds as his RD. (As far as I know that ensures compatibility even across generations, at least with respect to 105 and Ultegra.)