Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rebuild wheel without removing tire?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-21, 11:05 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts

Absurd? Yes.

Due to XD vs HG and a hub I have not being able to change between bodies, I want to rebuild onto a new hub.

I think I can do it using needle nose pliers and hemostats.

Not asking how to build a wheel, I'm good there.

Will detensioning a wheel with a tire on it cause any funny business? I can drop it to 20psi before starting.

OF course if I lose a nipple inside, I'll have to take the tire, stripper, and tape off to chase it down.
Old 03-01-21, 11:15 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
It might be difficult because before you start threading the nipples on the spoke, the spoke will be pushing the nipple up into the rim where it is difficult to access. and tighten - generally you tighten all the spokes down part way from above the rim with a nipple driver or screw driver

What advantage do you hope for by not removing the tire? It is a trivial step compared to the rest of wheel building.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 03-01-21, 11:40 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Possible? yes. Unless it's a tubular, I wouldn't consider doing an entire wheel that way, but I routinely do individual spoke replacements with the tire on. You would need to thread a loose spoke into every nipple as you go to avoid losing them inside the rim, but it could be done.
Like I said, unless the tire is glued on, removing and replacing it would be far less aggravation.
Old 03-01-21, 12:19 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

The rim is currently tubeless with a skinny stripper on it. Since this is a waste item ($2.50) on a tightly fitting tire/rim combo, I was hoping to save it.

Tubeless is easier than tubulars but not by much.

The new hub will show up today, I'll do the work on Thursday. I'll think about it until then.
Old 03-01-21, 06:10 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts

OF course if I lose a nipple inside, I'll have to take the tire, stripper, and tape off to chase it down.
If you manage to accomplish your goal without losing a nipple, I'd be really impressed. Be sure to come back and tell us about it.
I can't build a wheel the normal way without dropping a few.
Old 03-01-21, 06:34 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,820 Times in 1,540 Posts
I think OP nailed it with the first line....good luck

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 03-01-21, 06:57 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

I've heard rumors of removing a tubeless tire plus skinny stripper in one clean unit without spilling a drop or breaking the seal. I'm tempted to try.

Some mavic rims have an enclosed pocket for spokes. It might be easier with them. Of course, that's not what I have.

Last edited by rosefarts; 03-01-21 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-01-21, 09:55 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
Non starter for me. I love my bike's wheels, and wheel building and repair to me is something like a Zen experience, a structured practice through which I realize great joy in the doing and the outcome.
Old 03-01-21, 10:13 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by easyupbug
Non starter for me. I love my bike's wheels, and wheel building and repair to me is something like a Zen experience, a structured practice through which I realize great joy in the doing and the outcome.
But wouldn't a Buddhist understand that life is suffering?
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 03-01-21, 10:18 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,983 Times in 2,661 Posts
To quote something I saw on this forum:
Absurd? Yes.
I am sorry but that is just terrible. I would not want to build a wheel an entire wheel without taking off the tire. That just sounds miserable. I get it you don't want to replace $10-$20 in parts but it is $10-$20 in parts (maybe a little more depending on what you use or how much). That is the height of absurdity. Even if the tire is slightly hard to get off there are tools for that and it would be way easier to build a wheel properly with no junk on top. However some people have limitless time to waste doing something the hard way.
Old 03-01-21, 10:28 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
I'm somewhat the same way. I have plenty of time, so I can pretty much get a wheel as evenly tensioned as it's going to get.
When I started slowing down to extend the experience, I started getting done much sooner.
Old 03-02-21, 01:08 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
I think the whole idea is crazy.

But I love the fact that you are willing to try it!

If there were no people like you then we would have no bikes to ride today.
Old 03-02-21, 04:32 AM
Dirk de Chablis

Bikes: A red one, a white one, a white and red one and a silver one

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 25 Posts
When it comes to tensioning the wheel and then getting the flat spots out will be a nightmare with the tyre on. Is your time cheaper than $2.50 and some sealant?
Old 03-02-21, 05:26 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirk de Chablis
When it comes to tensioning the wheel and then getting the flat spots out will be a nightmare with the tyre on. Is your time cheaper than $2.50 and some sealant?
Yeah, this. There are so many hassles and possible failure modes for this, from being hard to get the old hub out, to bending spokes, and losing nipples, and if you happen to unscrew the nipple and let the nipple be pushed into the tape, possibly tearing up or getting the tape displaced, so you have to take the tire off anyway.

This is one of those "the repair was both time-consuming and expensive, because I tried to save time and money" type of misadventures. IMHO.

Good luck whichever way you choose to go.
Old 03-02-21, 07:40 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I think the OP needs to do this just to stick it to all the haters.
Old 03-02-21, 09:09 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Well, the actual lacing of the wheel would not be much more difficult than lacing a rim that has no nipple holes in the inner wall of the rim such as some models of Fulcrum and some others. On those, each individual nipple has to have a steel insert threaded into it and led into place with a magnet. Yeah, it's tricky getting the nipple started on the spoke and great care has to be taken not to lose it in the rim. It's time consuming, and requires a level of dexterity that my old hands struggle with, but I have done it, so it's possible.
Straight pull spokes make it a bit easier as the spoke can be led straight to the nipple rather than contorted as a J bend has to be.
The real challenge with a tire mounted comes in the truing stage, particularly with radial truing. You could get it close enough to be functional, but not within what I would consider to be acceptable parameters.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 03-04-21, 04:39 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

I hate to report that I chickened out.

​Before I started, I tried to remove the tire with the skinny stripper in place. Sometimes it binds so well that it can be done. I broke the seal. Once I had a leak, I immediately caved and just removed the tire and time strip and all that jazz.

The new hub is on the wheel now, it's actually a better circle than the original build. I even managed to choose a hub close enough that I was able reuse all of the old spokes. Literally .2 mm different when I ran it through the calculator.

Sorry guys. I should have tried for your entertainment. I did manage nearly the whole thing during my kiddo's nap, so that's something.
Old 03-04-21, 04:54 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
Sorry guys. I should have tried for your entertainment. I did manage nearly the whole thing during my kiddo's nap, so that's something.
Sounds like taking the tire off didn't take any extra time on the rebuild, then.

Still entertaining, like staring at some of those Mensa geometry questions!