Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tubeless - Ball of Sealant Making Noise?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-12-21, 12:02 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts

On a bike I've had for two months, set up tubeless, that I've ridden about 800k, I noticed a sound that I believe is coming from the tire (happens when wheel rotating, more frequent the faster I'm going). Still happens when I'm not pedaling. It's not metallic, more of a light thud. Happened for the first time today, about 1/2 way into my ride. It stopped with 10 minutes of finishing my ride. And in my house when I spin the wheel there isn't a sound. I've ridden a lot in the cold so far this winter, and today was around -1C and got a little warmer and sunnier into the ride.

Can it be that some of the sealant formed into a ball/clbump and was hitting flinging around in the tire (made a sound 1-2x each rotation of the tire)?
Old 03-12-21, 03:25 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Take the tire off and find out.
Old 03-13-21, 06:02 AM
Juan el Boricua

Bikes: 1980's Royce Union "fixed wheel", 1995 Trek 370, 406 -wheeled " shopper/minivelo"for running errands, SS Raleigh M60

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 46 Posts
Do as CX suggested, but check the tire for delamination (when the tread separates from the casing, or threads from the casing break) as I find doubtful that a clump of sealant will move around in it, in particular while spinning faster(centrifugal force; from physics class). Also, check your hub, as it might be somewhat loose ( no sound while wheel is unloaded).
Old 03-13-21, 02:24 PM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
Some sealant does do that, that seems fast unless it's Stans race sealant or something. Stans race will tend to make tiny little furry things that look like lint.

We did have one bike with an unknown sealant that sat for long enough the puddles at the bottom of the tire dried out. They broke loose when it was ridden and were flapping around making all sorts of odd sounds.

I'm still curious what type of sealant that was, it dried to the consistency/color of black rubber. Although it remained oily or greasy even mostly dried out. Some of the chunks were 1/4" thick at least.
Old 03-13-21, 05:18 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Stanimals can get pretty big. That's why they're called that.
Old 03-15-21, 02:21 PM
yannisg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts
I have had sealant clump from keeping the wheel idle for some time. This clump was stuck in one place (accumulated), and unbalanced the wheel slightly, but did not make a sound.
I would think that different sealant have different dying times that would be also influenced by the temperature and humidity. Best to take the tire off and see, as suggested in previous posts.