Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1997 Stumpjumper M2

Old 04-11-21, 04:24 PM
Celeste Mike

Bikes: '88 Cannondale ST400, '89 Bianchi Incline, ’88 Bianchi Limited, '87 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
1997 Stumpjumper M2

I'm curious what the community would appraise this at. For the purposes of this thread let's presume it's all cleaned up, with new cables and grease, and I'd theoretically be posting it for sale in some vintage MTB specific group and be willing to ship it.

As it is I have plans to convert this to a drop bar dirt-tourer with a rigid fork. I figure I'll take it bike camping this summer, and if it doesn't jive I'll convert it back to original and sell it.

Deore LX 8-speed with XT rear derailleur, Avid 1D brakes, tires and saddle original, the whole bit. It's got no issues I could find, although admittedly I know nothing about suspension forks. A new elastomer kit is like $60 but I don't how to diagnose if it needs one or not. It sat in a basement collecting dust for god knows how long before I acquired it.

Likes For Celeste Mike:
Old 04-12-21, 09:33 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 311 Posts
Those were really fast and handled fantastic back in the day. It's still a capable MTB. I raced on a factory DBR (Diamondback Racing) and the DBR had a flexy rear triangle, but the Stumpjumper handled with more precision.

It's a real shame that those semi-vintage MTB's have faded out. I don't know if the vintage MTB collector crowd is after those.
Old 04-12-21, 01:25 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Not a knock on the bike but I think most vintage MTB collectors like the rigid bikes better. And if you're looking for an offroad bike, this is an area where the technology has moved on.
Old 04-12-21, 04:55 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 926 Times in 593 Posts
Nice all-original find! Even that tire looks good!
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 04-12-21, 05:23 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 2,230 Times in 1,303 Posts
Originally Posted by Celeste Mike
I have plans to convert this to a drop bar dirt-tourer with a rigid fork. I figure I'll take it bike camping this summer, and if it doesn't jive I'll convert it back to original and sell it.

I don't think this Stumpy is a good bikepacking conversion candidate. As a XC race bike, it doesn't have many braze-ons for racks, fenders, etc. If I were you I'd find a rigid mtb from the late 80's to early -mid 90's as a base. The mid-range bikes will have braze-ons the high-end race bikes won't. If you size up on the frame you'll have more room for possible frame bags too.
Old 04-12-21, 06:47 PM
Celeste Mike

Bikes: '88 Cannondale ST400, '89 Bianchi Incline, ’88 Bianchi Limited, '87 Schwinn Tempo

Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat
Those were really fast and handled fantastic back in the day. It's still a capable MTB. I raced on a factory DBR (Diamondback Racing) and the DBR had a flexy rear triangle, but the Stumpjumper handled with more precision.

It's a real shame that those semi-vintage MTB's have faded out. I don't know if the vintage MTB collector crowd is after those.
I wondered, thanks for commenting! I'm not a mountain biker and I thought this bike might be a good entry into it, but I just haven't done it yet. I'm just more of a road bike guy. The frame is very interesting, it's very light and stiff. The whole bike only weighs 26 lbs.

Originally Posted by bikemig
Not a knock on the bike but I think most vintage MTB collectors like the rigid bikes better. And if you're looking for an offroad bike, this is an area where the technology has moved on.
I wish it were a rigid Stumpjumper too, but I just kind of lucked into this one. 😄
Originally Posted by Clang
I don't think this Stumpy is a good bikepacking conversion candidate. As a XC race bike, it doesn't have many braze-ons for racks, fenders, etc. If I were you I'd find a rigid mtb from the late 80's to early -mid 90's as a base. The mid-range bikes will have braze-ons the high-end race bikes won't. If you size up on the frame you'll have more room for possible frame bags too.
I hear you. My plan is to put a Surly Troll fork on it to make up for the lack of braze-ons. 😄 I figure I'll front-load it, add a frame bag (found a cheap one on Amazon that's a perfect fit) and a seat pack. Its geometry isn't too different from that of a Surly Troll, only with a more aggressive stack. I just wanna do somethin fun with it rather than just sell it, and I wanna try a setup that's different from my road tourer with its skinny tires, front/rear racks/panniers and handlebar bag.

I'm also rebuilding an '86 Schwinn High Sierra, so I do have the proper bikepacking candidate of which you speak as well. 😁 (Yes, I'm hoping to do a lot of bike camping this summer. 😄 )

Old 04-12-21, 07:05 PM
Celeste Mike

As an aside, and before someone points it out, I have considered (and tried my best to calculate) how switching from this suspension fork (which is pretty low travel) to a non-suspension corrected rigid fork will change the angles of the rest of the bike. It should fall under half a degree, which, according to what I've read, is inconsequential. 👍🏻
Old 04-12-21, 10:32 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,119 Times in 743 Posts
If the seat is set at your ride height, then the bike is likely too small for you regrettably. Its a medium frame (about a 17”) judging by the looks . Its quite nice to see one un-molested and in such nice shape though

others on here may disagree but my opinion based on top tube length is that the 90’s era hardtails (commonly with 23” and 23.5” top tubes with aggressive, short head tubes ) do not make as good a drop bar conversion as the older bikes. I have seen some slapped together builds with ridiculously tall short reach stems that try though, but your Schwinn may be a better candidate for this duty

but - my humble opinion only.
Your Stumpy is quite nice.
Likes For DMC707:
Old 04-04-22, 01:41 PM
paulocaputo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
very nice bike
Old 04-04-22, 03:01 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 620 Posts
Very nice bike I would suggest keeping as is and riding it some before you make any changes. As said probably not a great drop bar rigid fork conversion candidate. Myself I would keep it intact and look for another bike to convert. Prices values on bike like this seem to be coming up a bit so you could probably sell this one for $400-500 to the right buyer plus shipping.

Last edited by zukahn1; 04-05-22 at 06:29 PM.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 04-05-22, 10:06 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked 3,440 Times in 1,127 Posts
Regarding your question about elastomers; there are two failure modes that I know of:
1-Bikes that are ridden hard and often tend to collapse the elastomers with time, so the crown-to-axle length becomes shorter with accompanying loss of travel. Your bike does not appear to suffer from this problem.
2-With the a passage of time (perhaps made worse by exposure to ozone or heat) elastomers can become stiff and unresponsive, making for less travel and a harsh ride. Your bike may be a candidate for this kind of degradation.

Brent
Likes For obrentharris: