Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Unique Vintage Raleigh 3-Speed- What Model is This and What Should I Ask For it?

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Unique Vintage Raleigh 3-Speed- What Model is This and What Should I Ask For it?

Old 04-18-21, 07:15 PM
wclarkin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I’ll start out by saying that I am well aware that most vintage three speed bikes are worth very little. BUT, as somebody who has literally on hundreds of bikes, this Raleigh has some unique features that make me wonder if it is something more special than a standard old three speed. I will attach pictures- does anybody know what model this bike is and if it is worth any more than the average old 3-speed? I started cleaning it up but I haven’t finished. I bought it from the original owner who said that somebody from Oregon once wanted to buy it but the owners didn’t want to deal with shipping, which also made me wonder if the bike is something more unique than the usual three speed. Thanks!

Old 04-19-21, 12:27 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,544 Times in 3,757 Posts
What are the unique things about it?

Old 04-19-21, 01:02 PM
vintagebicycle

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 48 Posts
I see a 50's model Raleigh, with a rear dynohub, locking fork, and full chain case.
I also see that the chain case is dented, the lights are missing, and its got the wrong grips, and wrong saddle, and there's some chrome loss on the rear rim.
Its also a smaller frame.

What its worth is simply what someone will pay, if it were mine, I'd be asking $300 for it the way it sits. Double that all fixed up with all the right parts and completely gone through.
Around here, its not three speeds that don't sell, its any bike, everyone has their favorites and what they consider their holy grail bike. There are plenty of three speed enthusiasts out there, there's a whole forum here dedicated to nothing but English three speeds. Maybe post this over there.

In my opinion that bike is great find, it would be a better find in a taller frame and with the original Brooks leather saddle and no dent in the chain case but those things are fixable. I bid on one just like at an auction a few years ago thinking that I'd likely get it cheap, but it went for $450. I bailed out of the bidding at $200 and it wasn't as clean as yours with some dents in the fenders.
In some areas, bicycles prices are shooting through the roof, there's apparently a shortage of new bikes. Where your located makes all the difference because city folk don't seem to want to travel outside their area much for some reason.
Old 04-20-21, 12:04 PM
wclarkin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
What are the unique things about it?
The chain guard is unusual, as well as the locking front fork.
Old 04-20-21, 12:10 PM
wclarkin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vintagebicycle
I see a 50's model Raleigh, with a rear dynohub, locking fork, and full chain case.
I also see that the chain case is dented, the lights are missing, and its got the wrong grips, and wrong saddle, and there's some chrome loss on the rear rim.
Its also a smaller frame.

What its worth is simply what someone will pay, if it were mine, I'd be asking $300 for it the way it sits. Double that all fixed up with all the right parts and completely gone through.
Around here, its not three speeds that don't sell, its any bike, everyone has their favorites and what they consider their holy grail bike. There are plenty of three speed enthusiasts out there, there's a whole forum here dedicated to nothing but English three speeds. Maybe post this over there.

In my opinion that bike is great find, it would be a better find in a taller frame and with the original Brooks leather saddle and no dent in the chain case but those things are fixable. I bid on one just like at an auction a few years ago thinking that I'd likely get it cheap, but it went for $450. I bailed out of the bidding at $200 and it wasn't as clean as yours with some dents in the fenders.
In some areas, bicycles prices are shooting through the roof, there's apparently a shortage of new bikes. Where your located makes all the difference because city folk don't seem to want to travel outside their area much for some reason.
Thank you! That really helps. It sounds like my hunch that this is not the typical old three speed has some truth to it.
Old 04-20-21, 12:28 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,544 Times in 3,757 Posts
Those are very common features of that era of Raleigh 3 speed bikes.

Here is a link to a site that you find interesting. https://www.kurtkaminer.com/TH_ralsport_visID.html

Old 04-20-21, 02:22 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,737 Times in 629 Posts
Looks to be a mid 50's sport one of the lower end 3 speed models. Looks to be fairly stock but well worn condition as for value I think $300 is optimistic I would say $150 as is and $200 fixed up a bit ready to ride $250 if you have the key's for the fork and the lock works.