Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-19, 03:56 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
I decided to get back on the coaching treadmill and hired one of my fav coaches. I am starting to get some stuff to read and etc. Right now, I am hoping to be in good enough shape to do the workouts.
Old 04-03-19, 07:09 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
@TMonk. I'll just be happy to see the ocean again. It's been a minute.

@Hermes. I did some single leg press stuff that day and some single leg dl the other. Single leg dl was hard. My balance was awful. I'd get the weight (135) to about my knees and feel like iwas tipping over. I've got some work to do.

Yesterday group ride got cancelled for rain so I did sweetspot inside, felt great. Today I went to the local hill to do some 4 min intervals. Power looked okay but I felt so flat. Ran into some friends after the second, did one more then just rode around with them for a bit sprinting up hills. Guess I'm just tired or something. I did crack 1000 watts though which hasn't happened in a long time.
Old 04-03-19, 09:35 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by Ttoc6
@TMonk. I'll just be happy to see the ocean again. It's been a minute.

@Hermes. I did some single leg press stuff that day and some single leg dl the other. Single leg dl was hard. My balance was awful. I'd get the weight (135) to about my knees and feel like iwas tipping over. I've got some work to do.

Yesterday group ride got cancelled for rain so I did sweetspot inside, felt great. Today I went to the local hill to do some 4 min intervals. Power looked okay but I felt so flat. Ran into some friends after the second, did one more then just rode around with them for a bit sprinting up hills. Guess I'm just tired or something. I did crack 1000 watts though which hasn't happened in a long time.
I think the single leg deads and back offer a lot of risk. It does not take much to tweak something that can hang around for a long time. I think the single leg press and single leg throw seated press is pretty safe.

Last edited by Hermes; 04-03-19 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-04-19, 04:38 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 3,128 Times in 1,645 Posts
Heading down to the velodrome tonight for Thursday night hand-holding practice (madison). Should make for some toasty legs after VO2's on Tuesday and threshold intervals yesterday.
Old 04-04-19, 05:44 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

So even though my legs felt like crap yesterday.. I still hit a lifetime power best rihgt around the 3 minute range.. wtf?

Today was some quality time in the sun on the mtb.
Old 04-05-19, 06:56 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
That VO2 workout earlier in the week that was tough? I wasn't tracking my excel sheet TSS/TSB well for a while. I had a rolling avg TSS/week of 500 right before that. Doh.

Did 71mi yesterday. All tempo, then the last 1/3 of that was a little more chill A group ride. I pulled decent twice, but definitely let the others pull a lot. I don't ride very far very often and was feeling it.

I guess it's how longer rides work, but still had 10min over 350w and 37min total of 260w or over.

I'll take off today/tomorrow and then kill it for an hour on Sunday.
Old 04-05-19, 10:11 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Thought I was over my little cold but woke up with some ungodly stomach issues. First race of the year is tomorrow and given I'm basically unable to eat today I think I have to miss it

Training earlier in the week went well though. Basically every workout I'm setting a PR of some sort at the moment. Hopefully this stomach thing passes quick, in which case I'll open the season Tuesday!
Old 04-05-19, 11:53 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Openers with 6 sprints today for the mtb ride tomorrow! Onto an airplane now. The rest of my workout for today will be lugging my backpack around with 8 days worth of **** and too many pairs of shoes.
Old 04-05-19, 01:04 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

off day. my legs hurt.
Old 04-05-19, 02:33 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
12 days ago hit -47 TSB, haven't had any good riding in the legs since then. Been hitting the gym fine. Complete rest Tuesday, leg day Wednesday, Yesterday complete rest again, anything over 50 watts burned. Gym today (bench and shoulders), and on my commute my legs felt great. Finally up to -8 TSB. I guess it just takes a while to recover from a -47 hole at a CTL of 37 lol. I've never really had this experience before having never taken more than a few weeks off serious riding. Was gonna take the weekend off the bike but I might go out for a ride and see how it goes. Maybe try not to put myself in such a deep hole this time
Old 04-06-19, 05:39 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

@TMonk and I did the archipelago ride. Hard steep stuff and some hard tech descents. 42 miles, 5k feet of climbing and no repeated track. Awesome day riding some new trails. The San Diego area is full of green plants. Gorgeous day out and my longest ride of the year so far.
Old 04-06-19, 06:23 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

2 hour endurance ride in Palm Springs. It was flat but a lot of wind. Slow going out and really fast on the way back. Otherwise, beautiful day in the desert and on to a party this evening.
Old 04-06-19, 09:44 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Mismanaged day with 2 mechanicals and only got about a quarter of the riding I had planned. I'll probably do a hundo tomorrow in various rides (training, ride with Mrs).

Originally Posted by Hermes
2 hour endurance ride in Palm Springs. It was flat but a lot of wind. Slow going out and really fast on the way back. Otherwise, beautiful day in the desert and on to a party this evening.
The thousands of wind mills are a pretty good sign a bike ride is going to (literally) suck. Every season I think about doing a ride there (its 50 miles from my house to the tram) but that wind....
Old 04-06-19, 10:23 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Openers this afternoon: best 1’ and 15” power this year. I should be encouraged but I probably just shot my wad for tomorrow.
Old 04-06-19, 11:02 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
12 days ago hit -47 TSB, haven't had any good riding in the legs since then. Been hitting the gym fine. Complete rest Tuesday, leg day Wednesday, Yesterday complete rest again, anything over 50 watts burned. Gym today (bench and shoulders), and on my commute my legs felt great. Finally up to -8 TSB. I guess it just takes a while to recover from a -47 hole at a CTL of 37 lol. I've never really had this experience before having never taken more than a few weeks off serious riding. Was gonna take the weekend off the bike but I might go out for a ride and see how it goes. Maybe try not to put myself in such a deep hole this time
Turns out I probably won't do any legit training this weekend. Today I did gym and a city walk with my wife. Tomorrow I'll be riding with an acquaintance who I quite like but doesn't ride much so will likely be a long slow several hour affair with beer after. Should be fun for sure, I may try and get a bit of effort in on the main climb.
Old 04-07-19, 09:13 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

My ever so gracious host @TMonk and @wktmeow hooked me up with an awesome ride up the pch this morning. 70ish miles chatting with coffee in the middle. Last two days of riding have been awesome. Yall made my extra weekend before work started a vacation.

Tomorrow starts the busy-ness and inevitable over eating and indulging of a work conference.
Old 04-08-19, 06:57 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
I rode this weekend and felt good..almost 8 hours last week!
Old 04-08-19, 09:32 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Raced with stomach bug on Saturday. Totally empty from the start but it was surprisingly easy. I had some kick but no follow through if that makes sense, like I could punch it for a minute or two but didn't have enough sugar in my legs to commit. Teammate took 2nd out of the break so yay.

Rolled around nice and easy yesterday while practicing aero/descending skills.

Gonna try real workout today and see what happens.
Old 04-08-19, 10:07 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Raced yesterday and just didn't have it. CTL is hovering around 65, a good 15-20 points lower than this time last year. I know that CTL isn't fitness, but it still shows that I haven't been able to put in the work I need to. Guys in my races are only going to get faster through the spring and summer and my treading water isn't going to be sufficient.
Old 04-08-19, 01:53 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Had a pretty awesome weekend with the SDMBA "Archipelago ride" on Saturday - 42 miles/5,000' elevation in 5 hrs elapsed, with a couple stops at aid stations. It's called the "Arch ride" b/c it connects various "islands" of open space in North San Diego county with small little inter-neighborhood trails and road segments. @Ttoc6 came out early for a work conference and stayed with us for the weekend, so it was fun to have a companion for the entire ride and to get to show him some of my 'hood. A wet winter means everything in San Diego is so green right now, just lovely. It was also a pleasure for me personally because I've always had a good sense of direction and take pleasure out of "connecting the dots" between various areas that I know and really intimately knowing the hills and valleys.

There was over 500 participants for the ride as well so after the first hour or so there was pretty much a continual line of riders covering every trail within eyeshot after cresting each hill or rounding each bend. It really was a rolling party! We started a bit late because our shuttle arrived late. The start window for the ride was 6:30 - 7:30; we were rolling by 7:45 AM. It took us an hour of climbing/wondering if we were lost before catching up to other riders, but after that it was a party-wave of mountain bikers for the next 4 hours! There were plenty of riders/familiar faces from the competitive road and track community so we weren't the only ones fast uphill . There were even more full-time MTB'ers with more capable FS all-mtn rigs that were smokin' us on the downhill sections. Lastly, there were even a few dudes on gravel bikes who looked like they were having a blast, but had to (understandably) walk a few segments.

Overall it was a great route with great scenery and lots of smiling faces from all aspects of the cycling community in SD. I can't wait for next year!!!
Old 04-09-19, 10:33 AM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by TMonk
Had a pretty awesome weekend with the SDMBA "Archipelago ride" on Saturday - 42 miles/5,000' elevation in 5 hrs elapsed, with a couple stops at aid stations. It's called the "Arch ride" b/c it connects various "islands" of open space in North San Diego county with small little inter-neighborhood trails and road segments. @Ttoc6 came out early for a work conference and stayed with us for the weekend, so it was fun to have a companion for the entire ride and to get to show him some of my 'hood. A wet winter means everything in San Diego is so green right now, just lovely. It was also a pleasure for me personally because I've always had a good sense of direction and take pleasure out of "connecting the dots" between various areas that I know and really intimately knowing the hills and valleys.

There was over 500 participants for the ride as well so after the first hour or so there was pretty much a continual line of riders covering every trail within eyeshot after cresting each hill or rounding each bend. It really was a rolling party! We started a bit late because our shuttle arrived late. The start window for the ride was 6:30 - 7:30; we were rolling by 7:45 AM. It took us an hour of climbing/wondering if we were lost before catching up to other riders, but after that it was a party-wave of mountain bikers for the next 4 hours! There were plenty of riders/familiar faces from the competitive road and track community so we weren't the only ones fast uphill . There were even more full-time MTB'ers with more capable FS all-mtn rigs that were smokin' us on the downhill sections. Lastly, there were even a few dudes on gravel bikes who looked like they were having a blast, but had to (understandably) walk a few segments.

Overall it was a great route with great scenery and lots of smiling faces from all aspects of the cycling community in SD. I can't wait for next year!!!
Best thing about this Spring in SoCal is how everyone is going crazy over things actually growing...Superbloom....Flowerpalooza.

It is beautiful though. Even around here we have purple and orange hillsides. Sadly the reason the cyclist at the Redlands Classic died was a driver stopping to snap photos of the poppies on the hillside.
Old 04-09-19, 11:01 AM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts
I'm trying something new. A more polarized approach. I've been doing sub 200w rides on trainer on weekends. And then going hard in 2 hammerfests per week (which may be replaced by at least 1 weeknight crit). My volume has gone up, but I'm feeling less tired. I did almost 11 hours last week, which is A LOT for me. I want to see if this leads to improvement for me.
Old 04-09-19, 12:50 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
i'm in the last week of trainerroad's sustained power build high volume plan. today was 6x4min @ 115% (345w) so it's an all-time PR for 4min, not pleasant feeling when actually doing them!
Old 04-09-19, 10:32 PM
furiousferret

Hit a ton of all time PR's between 2 and 10 minutes but I rode like an idiot so I got dropped (tbf, my FD wouldn't shift). On a positive note It wasn't a perfect effort so I could have probably eked out 5-10 more watts. I should feel good but I don't, everything outside of power is horrible, and I really need to start working on it.

KOM's got obliterated today on the Worlds course; this is probably the fastest group in the rides 25 year history.
Old 04-10-19, 08:54 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Tried riding last night, but it didnt go well. Was dealing with some stomach issues most of the day, and combined with some residual fatigue from the weekend, my legs were shot..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.