Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

FAKE ONLINE store SITES

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

FAKE ONLINE store SITES

Old 07-07-19, 11:50 AM
michaeldb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FAKE ONLINE store SITES

I was looking for some parts and came across a website (MySport) with prices to good to be true, so before making an order I did a general search to see if they were real legit site. they weren't, so buyer beware. Their game is to take your money send you a fake tracking number, then say when you complain you never got your stuff is that they can only give you back part of your money because your order was lost in the mail and they can't afford to have the loss which we all know is BS.
Here's a copy of what I found, SO check the links, or customer service addresses first to be safe. If they look like the ones below, ride away quickly.

The website, customerservicehome.com, is associated with a lot of fake online stores. The fake stores use customerservicehome.com as a customer service platform to communicate with their so-called customers. Therefore, online users should be careful of online stores that use an email address at customerservicehome.com.
Here are some of the email addresses at customerservicehome.com being used by some fake online stores:
  • cs14@customerservicehome.com
  • cs15@customerservicehome.com
  • cs1@customerservicehome.com
Old 07-07-19, 11:57 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
This is good to know. I found a cycling apparel store (don't remember the name of it) while surfing used bikes for sale on Facebook marketplace. The listed all the current 2019 Sidi cycling shoes at ridiculous low listed prices. Their ad copy made the claim about good quality parts don't have to cost a lot - the page was very slick and tempting. I could just tell that it was a scam...
Old 07-07-19, 02:08 PM
But its me

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales and one Modern Soma Saga. Never enough.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Always why it is good to use a payment form that offers buyer protection, as most credit cards offer.
Old 07-07-19, 03:28 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: '20 Specialized Roubaix Expert, '18 Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by But its me View Post
Always why it is good to use a payment form that offers buyer protection, as most credit cards offer.
And then you have an unscrupulous individual with your card info. The most likely end to this scenario is that your card number is also used to make all kinds of fraudulent purchases which you’ll have to dispute. Then you’ll need to get a new card issued. Lots of fun.

It’s best to just avoid deals that seem too good to be true.

-Matt
Old 07-07-19, 06:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Pink Klein MTB, Phil Wood VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1183 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 31 Posts
Maybe then go support your local bike shop. Less likely to be a scam and you can likely get the part right away rather than wait for shipping. People are so cheap these days that online scams sites are so easy to keep going.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 07-07-19, 07:03 PM
MAYAM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the heads up.
buyers beware
Old 07-07-19, 07:05 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
Maybe then go support your local bike shop. Less likely to be a scam and you can likely get the part right away rather than wait for shipping. People are so cheap these days that online scams sites are so easy to keep going.
Some LBS are using non OEM sources for parts.

I ran into counterfeit KMC links on Amazon. Went to LBS for them after, LBS had identical card of links I had and none of them worked. All horribly loose and bad fit. LBS had clearly also gotten counterfeits from somewhere. Not directly from KMC.

Tossed the chain and got an OEM chain with link included.....voila. Works.
Old 07-07-19, 07:22 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Pink Klein MTB, Phil Wood VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame

Originally Posted by burnthesheep View Post
Some LBS are using non OEM sources for parts.

I ran into counterfeit KMC links on Amazon. Went to LBS for them after, LBS had identical card of links I had and none of them worked. All horribly loose and bad fit. LBS had clearly also gotten counterfeits from somewhere. Not directly from KMC.

Tossed the chain and got an OEM chain with link included.....voila. Works.
That is an odd one. At my past two shops we have gotten everything from our distributors and I have never really had any problems of them selling non-OEM parts. QBP does a fantastic job of selling the correct parts. Same thing with Highway Two, Merry Sales Co., BTI and others I have dealt with for years. Are you sure the links were for your chain and speeds?

If they were correct it sounds like something went wrong somewhere either on their end or your end. Would love to know what shop that is you got fake KMC links from, that is a brick and mortar shop? It is a very curious situation since most shops wouldn't likely buy a whole lot of fake stuff being that most cycling distributors offer terms and such so you don't have to pay right away for stuff and can get discounts on stuff in some cases. Way better than paying full price for Amazon or Alibaba crap.
Old 07-08-19, 08:25 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3593 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Yep, because so many bike shops in Detroit carry front racks*.

I would know, because I've tried to buy that before. A dozen shops asked, one result. And even that was because someone special ordered it and then never picked it up.

*also applied to triple cranks, most varieties of bottom brackets, mens shoes to fit my midget feet, anything but whatever the latest and greatest cassettes are, tires in pretty much anything but 700x25, panniers, and bicycle bells that fit oversized handlebars
Old 07-08-19, 08:44 AM
Lucillle
Lucille

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat View Post
And then you have an unscrupulous individual with your card info.
I use PayPal on Ebay backed by a card. I have had to deal with some scammers over the years, but PayPal has never let me down when I had to open a dispute. I just use a card on Amazon, so that the seller does not get my card number. But Amazon's A-Z process is cumbersome, I recently had horrible customer service from a store which sent me the incorrect handlebar, and I am still waiting to see my refund.
Old 07-08-19, 10:03 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: '20 Specialized Roubaix Expert, '18 Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucillle View Post
I use PayPal on Ebay backed by a card. I have had to deal with some scammers over the years, but PayPal has never let me down when I had to open a dispute. I just use a card on Amazon, so that the seller does not get my card number. But Amazon's A-Z process is cumbersome, I recently had horrible customer service from a store which sent me the incorrect handlebar, and I am still waiting to see my refund.
Yes, by all means dispute your card when something goes wrong. Absolutely.

I guess what I'm trying to get across is the scam the OP describes isn't simply a one-shot-deal for a single transaction. The whole point is to get your card info so they can go try to use it to purchase other items. The likely end scenario is that you'll get to dispute *many* charges in such a case.

-Matt
Old 07-08-19, 11:46 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
In years past, this type of thing came up periodically.
In the case of businesses offering complete bikes at too-good-to-be-true prices, one way to check is to go to the bike manufacturer's website and look up dealers in that area. So Acme Bikes says they'll sell you this Specialized bike at a great deal, but they aren't a Specialized dealer, so there's a good scam alert.
It can be informative to try to relate an online business with an actual physical address and an actual working telephone number. If those seem not to exist, it's a good sign that there's not any actual inventory being moved and not an actual customer service being performed.
Old 07-08-19, 12:06 PM
hschonzeit

Bikes: Lotus Classique

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Similar experience

I also saw a rediculus price and found the site was a fraud. Instead I went to my local bike shop for my new tires. The next day my bike fell and bent a handle and screwed up the derailleur. I brought it back to the bike shop, they worked on it for. 30 minutes. No charge. They have now a very loyal customer
Old 07-13-19, 01:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by jefnvk View Post
Yep, because so many bike shops in Detroit carry front racks*.

I would know, because I've tried to buy that before. A dozen shops asked, one result. And even that was because someone special ordered it and then never picked it up.

*also applied to triple cranks, most varieties of bottom brackets, mens shoes to fit my midget feet, anything but whatever the latest and greatest cassettes are, tires in pretty much anything but 700x25, panniers, and bicycle bells that fit oversized handlebars
That's odd. I mean I can understand some front racks because they aren't as popular but are getting there now but no 700x25 and bottom brackets? Come over here we got some old ISIS Downhill crap and enough italian octalink to sink a ship plus a wide variety of other stuff that should satisfy most aside from the hundreds of press fits nonsenses that are coming out.
Old 07-14-19, 09:27 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3593 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
That's odd. I mean I can understand some front racks because they aren't as popular but are getting there now but no 700x25 and bottom brackets? Come over here we got some old ISIS Downhill crap and enough italian octalink to sink a ship plus a wide variety of other stuff that should satisfy most aside from the hundreds of press fits nonsenses that are coming out.
No, I meant there are plenty of 700x25, not much beyond that size reliably available most shops. 26" will generally maybe have one Chinese slick and knobby option, because as one shop owner told me "people balk at a bike tire costing more than $15, we won't sell them".

Square taper BB aren't hard to find, but beyond that and whatever is new and hot, I've had issues (including Octalink last summer). I'm guessing the fact that you have buttloads of the old stuff is why no one stocks anything but the absolute most common options!

Truth be told, my biking needs are increasingly filled by REI, they're often the best option to find what I need actually available on the shelf.