Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Never too old to start!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Never too old to start!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-19, 08:06 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Never too old to start!

Not me, I had been riding for a good while, then started road riding, and recently came back and started again-on my '96 GT (upgraded parts) hardtail. One of the women in a mostly pavement riding group bought a hardtail mtn.bike for her 66th birthday. She'd hadn't ridden but pavement prior. She's the only other person in our group besides me that rides off road. It's scary how she's taken to it! We rode for 8 miles the other day on some single track (not crazy tech.sgl track) with some rocks, roots, stream crossings, mild drops. She only walked 2 sections of it, one of which I also walked, and one I almost walked, but rode-downhill approach with 4-6" high, horizontal roots, but spaced so you weren't just riding like a plank-then across a stream bed and uphill on the other side. We met 2 people she knew while out there, on dbl. squishies (hope that's not an outdated term) that seemed surprised we were riding on hardtails (tho those trails are fine for a hardtail). Anyone else start riding late, and having as much fun as we are?!

Last edited by freeranger; 08-17-19 at 08:16 AM.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 08-22-19, 08:41 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Damn! Guess I'll have to let her know how unique she is. To START hitting the trails on a mtn.bike at 66, and riding them so impressively to boot!!
Old 08-22-19, 02:01 PM
kq2dc7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I took to the single track at 57, after taking up riding again this last year. I now have a road bike, hybrid and a dual squish bike in the garage.
Old 08-22-19, 02:22 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I'm 52 and have always been a roadie. My kid has started riding a MTB and just for fun I joined him in the local MTB race series on my CX bike. So much fun. I'm definitely getting a MTB for next season. And I'm leaning towards a hard tail myself. Maybe something like a Spec. Chisel.
Old 08-22-19, 06:51 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1580 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
When I re-started cycling in 2003 age 50, it was mtb. Kind of switched over to road around '10, but now at age 67 (68 in September) I'm morphing back a little to mixed on/off road.

Nothing too technical, mind. I'm a moderately good bike handler, but don't have 'mad skillz', and after a major/prolonged health scare last year -- cost me most of '18's riding season -- have to take it a little easy. But I have to say that mtb/off-road is my first cycling love, and will remain so for as long as I can manage.

Bike? Hardtail, for me, all the way. The trails/singletrack I'm prepared to ride don't require full suspension, and I prefer the simplicity of a hardtail.
Likes For badger1: