Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Edge 1000 & 1030 Nav issues

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 08-07-19, 09:16 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts

I've used a 1000 for 2-3 years, it's worked very well. Had not navigated on it this year, did a recent update (at least one this year) to v15.2. Tried to navigate a course generated in Connect (web version) last week, was noticing long lag for the device to "re-set" the Turn-By-Turn instruction. One turn had a right turn followed by a left in about 1/4 mile. I was viewing the data screen at the time and typically (and the way the 100o has worked for 2 years) the TBT screen pops up, I complete the turn, the device figures out where I am and goes back the Data screen. OR will at 1/10 mile show the next turn. Then after turn completion, resets (usually quickly) to the data screen.

Now it takes upwards of 40 seconds to figure out the turn has been completed and does not reset to data screen I f I view the Navigation screen during this, I can see that the GPS has me located on the map correctly, yet TBT is completely lagging. Making Nav useless if you have tight turns in sequence.

Tried a RWGPS .fit route, USB ported to the device. Same issues. Cannot update TBT. Called it in to Garmin, they created a ticket, had no other help, wants the files off the device.

I'm thinking old device, new OS, units getting long in the tooth and as well the BT connection never wants to automatically connect as it used to, so maybe time for a new unit. so I decide to buy a 1030. I configure it, update to v7.5 with Express, use it a day and have the exact same issue. Lagging on the TBT. Call THIS one in and the tech wants to combine the 2 issues with the 2 devices. Well OK, no confidence with this. As well the 1030 BT connection BT_Edge 1030 will not make an automatic connection, Live Track doesn't work, with Garmins answer being "Sometimes you have to re-set the BT connection at the phone". When I pointed out that this loss of BT kills the Live Track, there was no solution given to the problem.

I may just get an Elemnt unless anybody has a solution as I suspect Garmin is not going to.

Last edited by Steve B.; 08-07-19 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-07-19, 09:55 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 916 Posts
There's no magic information in the route files. That is, the files from rwgps and connect have the same sort of information.

I doubt it's because the 1000 is "long in the tooth".

Your issues don't seem common.

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-07-19 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-07-19, 10:38 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by njkayaker
There's no magic information in the route files. That is, the files from rwgps and connect have the same sort of information.

I doubt it's because the 1000 is "long in the tooth".

Your issues don't seem common.
Not common to other users ?, but obviously a problem common to the 2 devices. My thought was that sometimes an update to an OS might create issues with the processing capabilities of an older computer, something common in laptop/desktops (thus long in the tooth). Thus wasn't sure if the newest OS from Garmin is creating issues. Then same problem on the 1030. Almost makes me wonder if I've got something "set"incorrectly in the device(s) as I've not seen this reported on the Garmin 1030 forum. . Garmin was no help as yet.

Prior to purchasing the 1030, I went to the local REI and got an Edge Explore. It did not have these TBT issues. Only things I didn't like about the Explore is it doesn't do Activity Profiles, which I find useful for the ability to configure different data screens for different bikes, as well as there's no support for Di2 which I really like having on my 1000 (and 1030), plus some other missing features. So the TBT is 1000/1030 only ?, or maybe me being stupid with something switched odd in the units, which seems odd as they are reasonably different.
Old 08-07-19, 11:35 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Not common to other users ?
That's the only reasonable meaning.

...but obviously a problem common to the 2 devices.
Yes, it would seem.

My thought was that sometimes an update to an OS might create issues with the processing capabilities of an older computer, something common in laptop/desktops (thus long in the tooth)
The updates to the Garmins are small changes. The Explore is basically a 1000.

Almost makes me wonder if I've got something "set"incorrectly in the device(s) as I've not seen this reported on the Garmin 1030 forum.
I don't think there is any such setting.

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-07-19 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-07-19, 11:58 AM
Steve B.

The updates to the Garmins are small changes. The Explore is basically a 1000.

I don't think there is any such setting.
The Explore has the newer user interface, same as on the 1030 and different than the 1000, thus has a different main screen, a different setup and basic function screen, does not do activity profiles, cannot connect to Di2, cannot do different data screens, which is a function of Activity Profiles. Possibly the same hardware ?, can't say, but it's a different device oriented to a user wanting more basic functionality at a lower price. The 1000 has more features.

I've setup and used at this point a Wahoo Bolt, an Edge 810, 1000, Explore and 1030 and agree that I don't think there's a setting to speed up the TBT response, but maybe somebody has a clue.
Old 08-07-19, 12:03 PM
njkayaker

The Explore has the newer user interface, same as on the 1030 and different than the 1000, thus has a different main screen, a different setup and basic function screen, does not do activity profiles, cannot connect to Di2, cannot do different data screens, which is a function of Activity Profiles. Possibly the same hardware ?, can't say, but it's a different device oriented to a user wanting more basic functionality at a lower price. The 1000 has more features.
The Explore hardware is (it seems) more or less like the 1000. It actually seems to be a bit in between the 1000 and 1030.

It doesn't support the newer version of IQ (like the 1030 does). When creating IQ apps, the Explore and 1000 are treated as the same thing.

(If the Explore was exactly like a 1000, it wouldn't exist.)

The Touring was (more more less) a 810 with different software.
Old 08-08-19, 02:50 PM
Steve B.

Rode a 40 miler today, following a RWGPS Route ported via the RWGPS iQ app (that’s a great app). Had lag on TBT for the first 15 miles or so, then at mile 18 turned off navigation as I was on a new bike path not on Google/RWGPS/Garmin as yet. Re-started the route at mile 28 with TBT working as it should with a quick return to the Data screen upon completion of a turn. Curious.
Old 08-08-19, 03:24 PM
njkayaker

Rode a 40 miler today, following a RWGPS Route ported via the RWGPS iQ app (that’s a great app).
I like the RWGPS stuff.

Had lag on TBT for the first 15 miles or so, then at mile 18 turned off navigation as I was on a new bike path not on Google/RWGPS/Garmin as yet. Re-started the route at mile 28 with TBT working as it should with a quick return to the Data screen upon completion of a turn. Curious.
It might not be the source of your problem but GPS units need data that gets stale if the units are off for a long while or moved a long distance while off. This data is needed for accurate and fast positioning from GPS.

This data can be downloaded from the GPS satellites but it can take a while (like 20 minutes). I believe the Garmins can download the data via being connected to a computer (via Express).
Old 08-08-19, 04:57 PM
Steve B.

I can see that this is clearly a TBT calculation issue. If I complete a turn and am viewing the Nav map screen, I can see my position as correct on the map so I know the device knows my location. It’s just that TBT isn’t updating in a timely manner, except if I’m 20 miles into a navigation.

Strange and I’m being stubborn and want to get it resolved as I like the 1030 and had a lot of luck with the 1000. I like the maps, like being able to add OSM, can use it off road with a topo. When I was off the course today it was great to zoom out on the map, see where a road ends up, etc.... it does this very well and I’ve always found the Garmin’s great for rides where you make it up as you go. Grrr.... and as BTW a thanks for the help.
Old 08-08-19, 08:07 PM
njkayaker

I have an issue with my 1030 where it calculates the route but doesn't start using it. Other people with 1030's on the same ride don't have the problem. Other people have reported the issue on the Garmin forums (so, it's not just me). This problem doesn't happen always. The fix for it is to do a hard reset.

Maybe, report your issue there.
Old 08-15-19, 08:05 AM
Steve B.

I think I solved this on both the 1000 and the 1030.

Turned Off the Recalculation function in Navigation - Routing in each of the Activity settings for different bikes

Then downloaded 2 different quick and short test rides with a lot of turns in 1/2 mile, one using the iQ app RWGPS, the 2nd a Connect Course.

Loaded up one, did a test ride, refresh of the TBT was about 2 seconds. Same for the Connect created ride.

So maybe OK on this.
Old 08-15-19, 08:09 AM
njkayaker

I think I solved this on both the 1000 and the 1030.

Turned Off the Recalculation function in Navigation - Routing in each of the Activity settings for different bikes

Then downloaded 2 different quick and short test rides with a lot of turns in 1/2 mile, one using the iQ app RWGPS, the 2nd a Connect Course.

Loaded up one, did a test ride, refresh of the TBT was about 2 seconds. Same for the Connect created ride.

So maybe OK on this.
That makes some vague sort of sense.

It should only be recalculating if you go off course.

It sort of seems, in your case, that it's recalculating all the time (it shouldn't be).

What happens if you set recalculate to prompt?
Old 08-15-19, 10:06 AM
Steve B.

That makes some vague sort of sense.

It should only be recalculating if you go off course.

It sort of seems, in your case, that it's recalculating all the time (it shouldn't be).

What happens if you set recalculate to prompt?
Funny answer from the Garmin tech., who told me that Recalculation is only for when having the device create what Garmin calls a "Route" internally on the device - say to a Starbucks you found on the map. It has nothing to do (according to them) with Courses (Connect) or Routes (RWGPS) as used for navigating.

Hmmm.....I actually don't think that's correct but I didn't care as I won't likely use the feature and as the device(s) now does TBT just peachy, don't care.

Also discovered that if you have a SIM card in a 1030, the boot time is near 2 minutes. I have Garmin Topo's on a card. Remove the SIM card and the device is back to a 13 sec. boot. The 1000 takes a whole lot less boot time with the card in it, then the 1030.
Old 08-15-19, 10:13 AM
njkayaker

Funny answer from the Garmin tech., who told me that Recalculation is only for when having the device create what Garmin calls a "Route" internally on the device - say to a Starbucks you found on the map. It has nothing to do (according to them) with Courses (Connect) or Routes (RWGPS) as used for navigating.

Hmmm.....I actually don't think that's correct ...
Yes, that's incorrect.

The device calculates a second route that traces the loaded track. Once in a while, the second route deviates from the track (making that it's a separate thing pretty-much irrefutable).

The device gets turn guidance (big white arrows) from files that are just lists of coordinates.

All of the Garmin Edges that use maps do this.

... but I didn't care ...
People should understand it (i.e.,"care") because it makes what the device does less confusing.

Also discovered that if you have a SIM card in a 1030, the boot time is near 2 minutes. I have Garmin Topo's on a card. Remove the SIM card and the device is back to a 13 sec. boot. The 1000 takes a whole lot less boot time with the card in it, then the 1030.
A microSD card (SIMs are for cellphones). I think the device indexes the maps. It might be faster for subsequent boots. If it takes 2 min for every reboot, I don't think something is right.

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-15-19 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-15-19, 11:00 AM
Steve B.

"People should understand it (i.e.,"care") because it makes what the device does less confusing."

To be specific, the actual function I understand but having never had a need for it, am OK with leaving it in an Off state

" A microSD card (SIMs are for cellphones). :"

Thank you, brain farts all morning tying to think of the actual term.

"I think the device indexes the maps. It might be faster for subsequent boots. If it takes 2 min for every reboot, I don't think something is right]"

I think this is correct especially as the 1000 sees a boot time that is only marginally slower with the MicroSD card installed. I suspect Garmin is having major issues currently with the latest 7.5 OS, judging by the posts on the Garmin forum. A typical case of fixing two issues and creating one new one. The 1030 will not currently show 100% after a full charge, only goes to 99% and that's kind of driving people nuts.

Last edited by Steve B.; 08-15-19 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-15-19, 11:34 AM
njkayaker

To be specific, the actual function I understand but having never had a need for it, am OK with leaving it in an Off state
It's the second route thing (not recalculation) that people need to understand. With turn guidance, there's always a second route (whether or not recalculation is being used).

Recalculation modifies this second route.

Turning recalculation off is reasonable to do. People don't generally need to use it (if they intend to hew to the loaded track). Usually, the quickest way back to the track is doing a U-turn.

In any case, the issue you were having with recalculation is not typical.
Old 08-15-19, 03:07 PM
Steve B.

In any case, the issue you were having with recalculation is not typical.
After having the same issue this afternoon on a 20 mile ride, it's not (as far as I can tell) a recalculation issue in the sense of how Garmin used the term to me today (navigating back to a route, but NOT a course), but an actual calculation of next turn issue, in that the device is slow to figure out what the next turn guidance is to be. If I'm viewing a Data Screen the screen shifts to the TBT screen at about 1/10th mile from turn. In some instances once the turn is completed, the TBT screen will "release" back to the data screen within about 2 - 10 seconds (in my prior experiences). The Nav map also shows the completed calculation to the next turn within this time. When the TBT calculation gets delayed, both the release to data screen as well as the nav. map sees a delay for the next TBT instructions of a consistent 43 seconds (as I counted today). Baffling.
Old 08-15-19, 03:49 PM
njkayaker

It’s weird.

The units calculate the turns when you load the route (that’s what the “Calculating...%” is doing).

”Recalculation” refers to calculations done after that first calculation. It should only recalculate if you go off course.

If you click on the text at the top of the map, you’ll see the list of calculated turns. If you click on a turn, it will show you the map of the turn.

You get the big white arrows without recalculation on. That means tbt doesn’t need to be calculated.

If it’s slow with recalculation on, then it’s doing something extra unnecessarily.

It shouldn’t be doing that.

It doesn’t happen for people generally.

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-15-19 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-15-19, 04:52 PM
Steve B.

It’s weird.

The units calculate the turns when you load the route (that’s what the “Calculating...%” is doing).

”Recalculation” refers to calculations done after that first calculation. It should only recalculate if you go off course.

If you click on the text at the top of the map, you’ll see the list of calculated turns. If you click on a turn, it will show you the map of the turn.

You get the big white arrows without recalculation on. That means tbt doesn’t need to be calculated.

If it’s slow with recalculation on, then it’s doing something extra unnecessarily.

It shouldn’t be doing that.

It doesn’t happen for people generally.
What you are saying makes sense, except the TBT is slow with Recalculation On or Off. Odd as well that I tried it twice this morning on the 1030, once with a Course from Connect, once with a RWGPS using the iQ app, both times while driving around slowly in my car. Neither had a delay. Then tonight on the bike with a newly created RWGPS route and had delays.
Old 08-15-19, 05:44 PM
njkayaker

So, your problem isn’t fixed.

I thought you said turning of recalculation fixed it (which I would expect not to work).

However you are loading them, the route files contain the same information.

There is no real difference between using GC or RWGPS.

What map are you using to plan the routes?

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-15-19 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-15-19, 06:28 PM
Steve B.

So, your problem isn’t fixed.

I thought you said turning of recalculation fixed it (which I would expect not to work).

However you are loading them, the route files contain the same information.

There is no real difference between using GC or RWGPS.

What map are you using to plan the routes?
Its a case of try a setting, observe results. In this case I turned off Recalculation on both units (based on a recommendation of some reported navigation issues on the Garmin forum), then created a Test course in RWGPS (basic map, 1 mile, 7 turns), did a load via the iQ RWGPS app, which is a .fit file (did this for the 1000 and 1030). Then test drove that route running both devices and had no issues. Then loaded a 28 mile commute route I had in Connect, test drove that course, had no issues on either device. One of the few differences between the test drives and the afternoon bike ride was a car vs. a bike.
Old 08-16-19, 11:24 AM
Steve B.

The 1030 decided to do a factory reset on boot this morning, when I was hoping to use on a remote ride using navigation. That’s really annoying and is WAY to unreliable for my tastes, boxed and heading back to the vendor
Old 08-23-19, 03:21 PM
Steve B.

After returning the first 1030 I purchased ANOTHER 1030 as replacement from my LBS, who gave a club discount, very nice of them.

Multiple rides and courses/routes followed in a week and all works as intended with no TBT lag. Go figure, so bad unit ? and/or oddities with maps ?! Even the 1000 seems to work OK.

Odd set or problems.